The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BC Soccer Team Banned Over Lack Of Indo-Canadian Players

DonLever

Sorry - but this isn't the first occasion of a caucasion being discriminated against.

I couldn't stop shaking my head when I watched the news last night, and they kept referring to this as 'reverse discrimination'.... no..... it's just discrimination... there is no such thing as 'reverse'

I don't think people understand what discrimination is, let alone what reverse discrimination is.

Discrimination is the unfair or prejudicial treatment of any minority group by the majority population (in the Lower Mainland, that applies to every municipality except for Richmond where Chinese has only recently surpassed white as the majority population.)

Reverse Discrimination is then the prejudicial treatment of the majority population by any minority group. (In Surrey, white is still the majority population.)

If this league barred white boys from playing on a team, then that would be considered discriminatory. However, the rule does not state this; it allows for boys who are not South Asian, white included, to play on the team. In fact, the team currently already has boys from different backgrounds who are not South Asian playing on the team. But it does have a limit on how many of those boys can be from a background that is not South Asian. In essence, this rule is no different than the CFL rule regarding the number of non-Canadian players a team can have on its roster.

Ironically, the existence of this rule is actually the opposite of discriminatory since it makes allowances for non-South Asian players to play in the league. In fact, the very concept of "racial quotas" is a concept used to prevent racism, which many large companies use today, and it is part of Affirmative Action.

If there aren't spots being used by Indian kids, then why not give it to boys of other cultures?

Also, is the exercise and participation in sport, for non-indian kids, especially in such a multi-cultural setting, any less important??

Where's the spirit of inclusivity and equality from the temple people who purport to represent a religion that is based on diversity, tolerance and equality?

I look back and think of a time when Indians couldn't get on soccer teams here in the lower mainland back in the 70's and 80's, because of unspoken quotas. This kinda feels like that the other way as well.

I'm sure that the people in charge aren't trying to be discriminatory or border-line exclusionists, but it sort of has that vibe with the way the rules are currently set up. I understand if they can't change them on the fly, but I'd hope they take a look at this for next year and amend them to serve not only their own constituents, but a larger one within the community, that they are also a part of.

Besides, isn't more cross-culture friendships, play and work better for all involved??

This is very racist and I don't get how anyone could defend that. If kids want to play don't hold them back because a certain race doesn't have enough participants. That's no ones fault at all, so why should anyone have to suffer? Like they've been saying "if you can play, you can play" :canucks:

This is very racist and I don't get how anyone could defend that. If kids want to play don't hold them back because a certain race doesn't have enough participants. That's no ones fault at all, so why should anyone have to suffer? Like they've been saying "if you can play, you can play" :canucks:

The most ignorant comments in this thread are getting the most pluses as usual. Comparing ethnic discrimination to sexual discrimination? Laugh out loud worthy from someone who sits on the pedestal and casts out judgment while reading "fifty shades of gray" to fulfill their fantasies.

I'm Caucasian but and I don't have a significant problem with this. These Sikh Temples want their youth to live an active and healthy life while retaining some semblance of tradition and ties to their heritage in the process. Ultimately they will fail but that is besides the point.

People group "white" altogether nowadays which is fine but the same thing is going to happen with other categories of human peoples. You think the Irish, Welsh, Scottish and English always got along? If I was Sikh and was called Hindu I would be insulted. Just as if I was an Irish Catholic being called an English Protestant.

My point is people need to put aside these categories and labels that they use to define themselves and restrict others. Race is a socially constructed and stories like this and the Costco bull are just veiled attempts at the media to provoke angst against the Indo-Canadian community.

The most ignorant comments in this thread are getting the most pluses as usual. Comparing ethnic discrimination to sexual discrimination? Laugh out loud worthy from someone who sits on the pedestal and casts out judgment while reading "fifty shades of gray" to fulfill their fantasies.

I'm Caucasian but and I don't have a significant problem with this. These Sikh Temples want their youth to live an active and healthy life while retaining some semblance of tradition and ties to their heritage in the process. Ultimately they will fail but that is besides the point.

People group "white" altogether nowadays which is fine but the same thing is going to happen with other categories of human peoples. You think the Irish, Welsh, Scottish and English always got along? If I was Sikh and was called Hindu I would be insulted. Just as if I was an Irish Catholic being called an English Protestant.

My point is people need to put aside these categories and labels that they use to define themselves and restrict others. Race is a socially constructed and stories like this and the Costco bull are just veiled attempts at the media to provoke angst against the Indo-Canadian community.

English can be such an inprecise .. err imprecise .. err inexact .. mmm confounding language at times .. couple that with 50 shades of comprehension twists and you have CDC at 6:30 in the morning .. time to put the morning "kettle" on I see .. **hugs to all** .. :)

English can be such an inprecise .. err imprecise .. err inexact .. mmm confounding language at times .. couple that with 50 shades of comprehension twists and you have CDC at 6:30 in the morning .. time to put the morning "kettle" on I see .. **hugs to all** .. :)

We've discussed before how sarcasm escapes posts and if you previous post was sarcastic then I missed it and I apologize but I couldn't detect sarcasm. Sarcasm is largely carried through tone, body language, etc. so expecting everyone to pick up on sarcasm through text is difficult.

Truth be told I wrote that one liner as a tongue in cheek and didn't expect you to take it so seriously. I thought about it for anywhere between 3 and 4 seconds so my time thinking about you is clearly less than what you put into thinking how self-righteous and ignorant I am.

Also please do not put words into my mouth. Of course reading any book, watching any piece of television, listening to any show does not preclude one from the right to their own opinion.

I regret making that comment because of the response it has illicited. Your posts are usually filled with hatred, anger, and vitriol but I think, based on your posts, you are more or less a good person even if I disagree with your view point from time to time.

This story seems to play it out on repeat and I think in future if I disagree with you or if miss sarcasm on your part I'll just refrain from commenting because this back and forth diatribe is just always negative.

Sorry - but this isn't the first occasion of a caucasion being discriminated against.

I couldn't stop shaking my head when I watched the news last night, and they kept referring to this as 'reverse discrimination'.... no..... it's just discrimination... there is no such thing as 'reverse'

Archived