The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BC Soccer Team Banned Over Lack Of Indo-Canadian Players

DonLever

Where do they get the idea that they must be in an indo-canadian league in order to get exercise and learn to play football?

Even in the poorest places in the world, access to football is readily available (perhaps not always in structured leagues, but kids can certainly play). There really isn't anywhere in the world without the opportunity to play, so why are they so concerned about kids in Canada not being able to play. More kids play football than hockey here, that should give you an idea how accessible it is. The idea that they need a special league for the apparently deprived south asians who would otherwise do what? oh yeah just play anyways, but in a league with white kids.

They just want to keep people of other cultures away from themselves, their kids and their donations. Such a shame that some of these kids have to grow up around that kind of mentality.

its the temples money and they wish to use it to fund a league that promotes south asian youth to become active...dont see anything wrong with that. and i dont see anybody crying discrimination, or racism when there are scottish, portugese, chinese, and even CHURCH only leagues...somehow when the south asian community does it it garners media attention and portayed as racist ...smh

its the temples money and they wish to use it to fund a league that promotes south asian youth to become active...dont see anything wrong with that. and i dont see anybody crying discrimination, or racism when there are scottish, portugese, chinese, and even CHURCH only leagues...somehow when the south asian community does it it garners media attention and portayed as racist ...smh

I find this comment extremely ignorant. You do realize that the majority of young East Asian people playing in this league WERE BORN IN CANADA, do you not? :picard:

On the one hand, I do see how the situation being discussed in the OP could be perceived as reverse discrimination......on the other.......what's the difference if it was a girls only league, or a boys only league or a Brits only league? Would you see a guy playing on the women's Olympic team? Not likely, eh?

Maybe there isn't enough that have interest and therefore you cannot create a team that is primarily Indo? "In a statement, league president Sim Sumra said tournaments have historically been sponsored by Sikh gurdwaras who want to encourage Indo-Canadian participation in the sport"

Either way, it's a joke. Let the kids play. And create more teams. Problem solved.

Archived