The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks working on new deal for Burrows

Interesting news, Maybe MG plans on trading Burrows if he can't be signed to an extension at reasonable $. If he asks for too much MG might trade him while he can get a good return with 1 full year remaining on Burrow's current contract.

For those not old enough to remember this is exactly what happened when Burrows signed his last extension approaching trade deadline in 2009.

Burrows did not take a huge discount when he signed his last contract. He had recently started playing with the Sedins and the line clicked. Burrows could have gotten a little more but he didn't take millions less to stay with the Canucks.

No one at the time knew Burrows would score close to 30 goals per season for 3 straight years and become one of the Canucks' most clutch players. Burrows ended up being the best bargain in the entire NHL.

I think Burrows could get close to $4.5 mill per year on a 5 year deal as a UFA. It's going to be hard for MG to pay him that kind of money/caphit.

Or maybe MG might sign Burrows to a life time, front loaded contract to artificially keep his cap hit down.

Put it out long-term to get the cap hit down.

Front load it so he gets some cash now and we can all see what he's like when he is 35 and over.

Hard nosed management calls for a discount for finger-biting and hair-pulling.

Something like:

1st year $5m.

2nd year $4m.

3rd year $3m.

4th year $2m.

5th year $1m.

$3m cap hit.

Burrows is the type of player who I wouldn't mind giving a "lifetime" contract. You know he'll always show up and give it his all.

Eight years, 23 million

6 - 5 - 3 - 3 - 2 - 2 - 1 - 1

He gets his money now, and the team has him for only a 2.875 million cap hit. Would expire when he's 39.

If he wants, he could get similar money to an Andrew Ladd. I'm sure he could make $4.5 million on the open market, and that's too much for the Canucks to pay. If he wants to stay in Vancouver, a $3 million cap hit is reasonable. Otherwise I'll be happy for him playing elsewhere. I'm sure he's great in the locker room, but he's replaceable.

I would go for a long term deal, if it would bring down his cap hit. Because he's under 35, is there anything to stop us from giving him a 10-year, $20 million deal ($1 million per year, $10 million signing bonus)?

Honestly as much as I love him, I think it's a good time for him to bank what he's really worth. I can't believe he signed for so low, but it kind of feels like we took advantage of him. If another team can offer him better then all the power to him.

Archived