The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks working on new deal for Burrows

Love this!! It pays him what he is "worth to us" for the first 3 so it's a good thank you to him for just being burrows and never taking a shift off. It also sets him up to retire a Canuck. I got no problem giving him a long term deal because I know damn well he's not the type to lose focus and go Gomez on us. All while keepin his cap hit at 3.5. Someone like burr is the perfect guy to get the long term front loaded deal. You know he's not gonna screw ya by playin bad and has totally earned the big money up front.

Eh, I wouldn't sign Burrows too far into the future. He plays a lot of tough minutes and that usually causes degradation in play as the injuries and surgeries pile up.

I'd rather take the $0.5-$1.0M higher cap hit now for half the term than an 8-year, $3.5M hit deal.

Reality says the also lockout mucks up that chance, unless parties are stupid.

If Burrows takes say $8 mill this year as part of a 7 year $25.5 deal he risks getting nothing for his front load which makes no sense for him.

Unless the Canucks package a pile of that as a signing bonus, which makes no sense for them if there is a lockout.

I 'd be surprised if he signs for less than 4mil.

I'd sign him for 3 years at 14mil, 4.666mil per year. And that's with him hopefully taking a pay cut.

Otherwise, 4 years at 20mil, 5mil per year.

The reason everyone loves him is because he produces like a good second liner and plays hard every shift while getting paid like a 4th liner.

If he gets 4M+ a season, then he has to do what he's doing right now just to break even with us...which means we will start to see Burrows haters here too whenever his production seems to be dropping. Well... if he thinks he can take that pressure on himself.. he should ask for the money. After all, he will probably get that or more in the open market anyway..

Without the Sedins he's barely a 20 goal, 40 point scorer.

3.5 million for 3 or 4 years. For all those saying he deserves 4 and 5 million, consider what Kesler and the Sedins are making. The twins signed 6.1 million dollar contracts after producing around the 80 point mark consistently before winning Art Rosses etc.

Kesler signed for 5 million dollars and put up a couple of 70 point seasons and a Selke.

Burrows is far from this category. He hasn't come close to the point-a-game mark, and would be nobody without the Sedins. People say that Burrows helps the Sedins but this is nonesense - just about any grinding, tough checking forward could score 20 to 30 goals with the Sedins. For those who say Burrows is smarter than the average checker and understands the Sedins best - of he course he does when he's had the privelege of playing with them for the last odd 150 games.

It's simple - without the twins Burrows is a 2 million dollar man and 3rd line checker, so he shouldn't be asking for a double pay rise. 3.5M max. If you don't believe me, imagine how poorly he'd play on another team's 1st or 2nd line without the twins, he simply doesn't fit anywhere else.

Everyone loves Burrows cause he punches over his weight. Makes $2M a year and has played like a guy who should make double that, well when playing wit the Sedins. If he makes $4m a year he will get roasted in this town. If Simmonds is making 3.75/yr there is no way Burrows is getting more than that.

Interesting how across the board people are in here about the worth of Burrows.

I honestly don't consider Burrows even a fringe 1st liner. Put him on any other team (even those with less talent than the Canucks) and he'll be stuck on the 2nd line for sure. The only reason he is on our 1st is because of his chemistry with the Sedins. And even with that chemistry, he still scores at a pace between 50-60% of each of their point totals.

Burrows does bring high energy and good durability to the table, but lacks in the size and nastiness department, and could never be considered a "power forward". For that reason (and the fact that a power forward is the ideal kind of top-line player) should drive his price down a bit as well.

I really wish we were able to get Doan for the first line, because that should drop Burrows down to his rightful place on the 2nd line where he already has proven chemistry with Kesler. It would also help put his role into perspective rather than inflated numbers with the Sedins.

Given this day and age of ridiculous contracts in the NHL, I could see Burrows getting offers for high 4's from other teams. I honestly think he is worth no more than 4 million, and would like to see him sign for 3.5ish which I think would be fair for all parties, while providing the Canucks a bit of a discount which he already proved he was open to doing when he signed his 2m contract.

3.5 million for 3 or 4 years. For all those saying he deserves 4 and 5 million, consider what Kesler and the Sedins are making. The twins signed 6.1 million dollar contracts after producing around the 80 point mark consistently before winning Art Rosses etc.

Kesler signed for 5 million dollars and put up a couple of 70 point seasons and a Selke.

Burrows is far from this category. He hasn't come close to the point-a-game mark, and would be nobody without the Sedins. People say that Burrows helps the Sedins but this is nonesense - just about any grinding, tough checking forward could score 20 to 30 goals with the Sedins. For those who say Burrows is smarter than the average checker and understands the Sedins best - of he course he does when he's had the privelege of playing with them for the last odd 150 games.

It's simple - without the twins Burrows is a 2 million dollar man and 3rd line checker, so he shouldn't be asking for a double pay rise. 3.5M max. If you don't believe me, imagine how poorly he'd play on another team's 1st or 2nd line without the twins, he simply doesn't fit anywhere else.

To those that are saying sign him no matter what I must point out that you sound exactly like Calgary Flames fans. They would rather lose and make dumb GM moves than trade Iggy or Kipper. Signing Burrows to a $5 or more cap hit seriously straps this team and hinders top 6 development, but MG loves to do that with all his crap depth anyway.

I love Burrows but people have to understand he is not this productive if he doesn't play with the Sedins. Rewarding him now with a big contract that does not reflect his true value would be detrimental to the team, however, if we want to do that and sign Edler and Higgins as well and be mediocre I guess I could live with that too as Burrows and Higgins are great guys. Edler is kind of meh.

I really like the idea of front loading a contract right now while we can.

6 year deal:

5 mil

5 mil

4.5 mil

3 mil

2.5 mil

2 mil

$3.6 cap hit and like others have said this guy is heart and soul and also has had less years than most in the NHL so I see his longevity as being high. Although he might not want to play for that little at 37.

Yeah, those Sedins really did the work on Alex' 3 goals in 5 games at the world Championships. WIthout them out there making Burrows look good he would have been a 3rd line grinder for the WC Team Canada, and while he is a good 2 way player, he certainly is not a .66 points per game guy without the likes of the Sedins propping him u.....WHAT????? they werent his linemates in the WC tournament, but that can't be right....he is just a 3rd line guy without the twins.....impossible I say.

Were you following the Canucks when Burrows first started with the twins? We tried a lot of guys with the Sedins, the only one that worked was Anson Carter. So no, not everyone can score with the twins. Burrows stuck for a reason. It's not because he's played with them a lot that he has good chemistry with them (btw it's a lot more than 150 games), he's played with them a lot because he has good chemistry with them.

There's no doubt that Burrows benefits from playing with the Sedins. It's called chemistry, it's part of every good hockey player's success. But he's no plug. Look at his play at the World championships, and look at some of the big goals he's scored in his career. The goal that snapped the Canucks' losing streak, the goal that won the St. Louis series, the goal the eliminated Chicago, and the game winner in the Stanley cup Final. All were basically individual efforts. He can get it done without the Sedins. He would probably be a second liner even if he didn't play with them.

For all the people hating on Burrows, on the Open market he would be offered 5mil +. He will take a pay cut in the 4 mil range. yes that is a pay cut. This guy is a huge part of our core. I'd rank his value above Kesler just because he is much more consistent. He'd be the perfect captain if he could keep his mouth shut :towel:

Archived