The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks working on new deal for Burrows

To all the people who say Burrows' production of cause of the twins:

HE PLAYED FOR TEAM CANADA WITHOUT THE TWINS IN THE SPRING AND HAD LIKE 3 GOALS IN 4 GAMES OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT, SO BEFORE YOU SAY BURROWS' PRODUCTION IS ONLY CAUSE OF THE SEDINS DO YOUR RESEARCH

end of rant

Yeah, I agree playing with the twins has inflated his stats, but don't forget all that he's learned playing with the twins. It's not like he's a the grinder on the first line, he's essentially playing the same style of game that the twins do and he's not only kept up the pace he's excelled at it. Add to that his excellent PK skills and you've got a player that's definitely above the 3rd line. IMO, without the twins he's a solid 2nd-liner / 1st liner on a team with less depth.

With this understanding I'd put him around Kris Versteeg's value which is an aav of 4.4 mil. I think Burr has a little more value as he's a little bigger, and effective on offensive and defensive special teams so that should add to his value. Of course, he's playing on a more competitive team so those two sets of factors should cancel each other out.

As a result I'd be happy signing him for anything in the 4.2-5.0 range.

Quick aside - people need to realize that Kes and the Twins signed their contracts several years ago when the Cap was lower. This means that their salaries are not reflective of the current market. So yes, if the twins, kes, and burr were all negotiating their contracts this summer it wouldn't make sense to give them essentially the same money - but they're not. The contracts the twins and Kes signed were reflective of the markets they were signed in with a pretty generous discount figured in.

HE PLAYED FOR TEAM CANADA WITHOUT THE TWINS IN THE SPRING AND HAD LIKE 3 GOALS IN 4 GAMES OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT, SO BEFORE YOU SAY BURROWS' PRODUCTION IS ONLY CAUSE OF THE SEDINS DO YOUR RESEARCH

end of rant

end of rant

Umm huh? he has the third highest +/- in the league over the last 3 years, scores 30 mainly even strength, very little pp time, kills penalities, heart and soul of this team, he is one of the most important players in this organization. MG knows it and he will be paid accordingly. He will take the discount as everyone has to stay but he will be paid fair.

I see 5 yrs (retires a canuck)

Avg of 4.2, 5 yrs $21 million.

Wow you're in denial. This guy is right. Burrows is 31. Not getting any younger pal. Our team already belongs in a retirement home as it is. We need to get younger fast. Why not put him in a package for Bobby Ryan? I know you have a man crush on Burrows, but it's a business and if we can get younger and better by trading him,, then you do it! Get over it.

We may get younger, but we won't get better. Burr is one of the big reasons our PK has been great recently; he's always a threat to score shorthanded. There aren't a lot of players who'll provide Burr's offense and defense at a reasonable price, and those that can would cost far too much in a trade.

Hey, Burrows is a team guy but the team also owes him some gratitude. Let's just pay him in accordance with his value to the team?

Forgetting league comparisons; I reckon the perfect comparable is Juice! It does stand to reason that Edler will get paid more, as a 50 point D man at 212 or 215 lbs and 20 minutes a night. That is worth more. Hamhuis is perhaps a bargain and of course Ballard overpaid, nor is Burrows worth as much to us as our 5 million dollar man Kesler. But 30 goals (above average but not all star calibre) and an all situations bit under sized forward, great team guy plus scrappy as hell, with a high plus / minus is almost a perfect comparison to Bieksa > relative to position. That Juice can fight a little better is maybe the only difference.

It comes back to a similar contract many have been suggesting; $4.2 to $4.5 mil for say 4 years?

Burrows was near the end of a 28 goal, 50 point season before he signed his last discount contract in March 2009. To say he didn't sign at much of a discount, or that he had just joined the twins, who were responsible for his success, is extremely near sighted. He was worth his 2 million the year before he re-signed, when he scored 30 points, killed penalties, etc, etc.

Everyone knows he scored another 89 (5 on 5 and shorthanded) goals, plus 79 assists and a remarkable +84 in the three years since signing that deal - if you look at the comparables - you'd be looking at guys making 3 times as much as him and would have a hard time finding a player averaging 30 goals who doesn't make 5 million. People here arguing 3.5 max etc are way out of touch - that's essentially expecting another huge discount that would maintain his status as one of the most relatively underpaid players in the NHL. Suppose it's not surprising that there are Canucks fans here who take the guy for granted and still don't realize everything he brings to a hockey team. I wouldn't be surprised if he signed a deal with an average 4 million cap hit, but that is simply because it is Burrows we are talking about - as a UFA, he'd command numbers that would shock a lot of people here.

Archived