Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Report] Canucks working on new deal for Burrows

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
255 replies to this topic

#241 Samuel Påhlsson

Samuel Påhlsson

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:58 AM

MG needs to get Burrows and Edler signed before September 15th!!

Not at all. It'd be nice but if it doesn't happen who cares. The only ones who might care are Edler and Burrows, if they're looking for their big pay day. Since the next CBA might not be as kind.

Sig too big. -SN

#242 Strombone1

Strombone1

GDT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:02 AM

UPDATE

News1130 Sports @News1130Sports
Alex Burrows agent Paul Corbeil tells CKWX there is still a gap in contract talks about an extension with the #Canucks.

Corbeil admits he would love to get a new deal done in the current C-B-A but knows next July1st will be good for his client as well.

Corbiel says the 2 sides keep talking and there will be more talks in the next few days.

Corbeil said good question when asked if Burrows new deal is better off in old C-B-A or new C-B-A.

Corbeil says his and Burrows #1 priority is to re-sign with the #Canucks but also knows July 1st could be a great day for his client.

Edited by Strombone1, 12 September 2012 - 10:03 AM.

Commissioner of Shapheat FHL

Player of the Game - Wall of Fame
2014-15 GDT Registrations

#243 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,472 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:22 PM

Here's his twitter: https://twitter.com/JamesBNHLNews

He actually has 299 followers so he must be legit.

This guy hasn't gotten anything right. Each time he said Burrows was gonna sign on a certain day, and when he didn't, he said Burr was gonna sign the next day, then the next, then the next, then nothing happened. He also said Doan was gonna sign tonight and today he tweeted that the Avs and Hawks have a 'verbal agreement' on a trade that would send Hjalmarsson, Jeremy Morin, and a 1st round pick to Colorado in exchange for Ryan O'Reilly.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#244 Samuel Påhlsson

Samuel Påhlsson

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:53 AM

Corbeil sounds like he wants to cash in on the next Burrows contract I mean really cash in. We'll see how the negotiations progress once the new CBA is signed. I doubt they get a deal done by Saturday.

Sig too big. -SN

#245 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,930 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:16 PM

http://www.theprovin..._medium=twitter

Youch. Not looking so great.

“That’s what we’re looking at from our side,” Corbeil said. “A (deal) that’s about six years. Five or six years.”

“He wants to be in Vancouver, but at the same time appreciates how coveted players like him are on open market,” Corbeil said. “We know there would be a lot of interest if he was a free agent on July 1.”

If you’re looking for a comparable, it’s Patrick Sharp,” Corbeil said.

That’s some expensive company right there. Sharp signed a five-year extension in 2011 for $29.5 million, which suggests Burrows is seeking a contract in the $5-million-per-year range, or Ryan Kesler money.

I'm more of a business perspective. IMO, if they can't reach a deal with a valuable commodity who is a UFA next summer, you have to trade them (That's only assuming there is a Staal like market out there for them). In the salary cap era, it's to costly for teams to lose valuable players to UFA world and get nothing in return. Just look at Nashville.

$5.9M cap hit x 5 yrs for a 32 yr old player is not great asset management IMO - especially considering the WOWY analysis w/ Sedins. Love Burrows, he's done such great things here. But this team has an aging roster, they need youth and some lower cap hits (especially if the cap is going down without rollbacks).

Edited by RunningWild, 13 September 2012 - 11:28 PM.

#246 brewdog

brewdog

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:02 AM

His numbers suggest he should be worth $5M, but I think anyone in hockey knows that his stats are 33% inflated because of his linemates. His greatest value is probably exactly where he is, and it's not worth auditioning someone new to spend 3 years learning how to play with the Sedins.

I hope MG pays to keep him here for 4-5 years. $3.75-4M maybe?

#247 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,211 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:09 AM

Dooouugh!

Somebody said his agent mentioned Patrick Sharp? Sorry, would not sign Burrows for $5.9 as per Sharp, nor as much as Burrows does great things is he as dynamic as Sharp...

If we have Doan ???, He is rumoured to be signing (in the Meta thread) at $24 for 4 years or $6 mill); does it make sense to sign Burr at same? Doan is a bit better player (yes a bit, not overwhelming) but a massive upgrade in balancing physical match ups. Cannot see both being signed at $6mill! That's irresponsible to our long term health.

If we see Doan, Burrows (while remain a great player for a cup drive) will will not have the same bargaining power not being a Triplet next season. And we would keep him for a cup run, not trade him if we sign Doan! Anything else would be seriously irresponsible to Canuck cup hopes.

Personally, I'm betting we do not see Doan, but not knowing that Burr signs for $4.7...

All completely speculation of course!

http://www.theprovin..._medium=twitter

Youch. Not looking so great.

[/background][/color][/left]

I'm more of a business perspective. IMO, if they can't reach a deal with a valuable commodity who is a UFA next summer, you have to trade them (That's only assuming there is a Staal like market out there for them). In the salary cap era, it's to costly for teams to lose valuable players to UFA world and get nothing in return. Just look at Nashville.

$5.9M cap hit x 5 yrs for a 32 yr old player is not great asset management IMO - especially considering the WOWY analysis w/ Sedins. Love Burrows, he's done such great things here. But this team has an aging roster, they need youth and some lower cap hits (especially if the cap is going down without rollbacks).

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 14 September 2012 - 01:14 AM.

#248 Raiun

Raiun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:50 AM

Gonna be sad to see Burrows go if he's aiming to really cash in.. I don't think the Canucks management are going to want to pay up for him.

Then again, given how Kesler has been playing, I'd gladly get rid of him and give Burrows "Kesler money".

#249 Li'l Fra

Li'l Fra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:07 AM

Hmmmmmm. Doan or Burrows? Who would you rather have?

Not much cap space and some seriously valuable Canucks might be pushed over the side to fit the new guy!

Is Doan worth it? Questionable.

#250 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:15 AM

Jason Botchford@botchford
Burrows is looking at a $2m - $2.5m raise. In a year. To suggest the Canucks can't afford that and doan is absurd

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#251 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:28 AM

News1130 Sports@News1130Sports

Alexandre Burrows agent tells CKWX that the gap closed a little bit in contract talks last night with the #Canucks.

Posted Image

#252 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:29 AM

Burrows agent says he will talk with #Canucks management in the next couple of hours again in hopes of striking a new deal.

How great would it be if we signed Doan, then extended Burrows, and possibly trade Lu all on the same day. I'm staying optimistic :)

The clock is ticking - Burrows and #Canucks have till midnight tomorrow to strike deal. No talks allowed in a lockout.

Edited by Tystick, 14 September 2012 - 09:31 AM.

Posted Image

#253 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:01 AM

Does Burrows not have the same 5PM EST deadline that Doan has to submit a contract?

I don't think the league will approve contracts after today.

#254 danman99

danman99

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:06 PM

As per murph... 4 year deal signed

#255 danman99

danman99

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:07 PM

18 mil - 4 years

#256 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,351 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:11 PM

Please continue here:
http://forum.canucks...s-with-canucks/
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.