Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

If Raymond isn't traded...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
68 replies to this topic

#61 cmccomb

cmccomb

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:55 AM

Hansen isn't a second liner :picard:

Hang on there, I think there's a point to be made here. I think Hansen could be a second liner in sort of the same way Burrows is a first liner. Maybe he's not your prototypical '2nd liner' but he does have value and I think he would work really well with Kesler.

don't undervalue his offensive abilities, despite his lack of finish, Hansen has a good pass game. Unlike Raymond, Hansen has good turnover abilities and can get it done in the corners. This could be dynamite when Kesler is healthy, Kesler is a shooter, we need guys that can feed him. I've seen enough of Raymond with Kesler, it's not good enough. I think Booth on the 3rd would be great too because it gives that line a shooter. If you put shooters together you don't really get anywhere.

#62 Progressive Hockey

Progressive Hockey

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:01 PM

I understand the frustraton with May Ray, but I think he deserves 1 season, or at least until the trade deadline to prove himself. His injury was very serious and obviously affected his play last year, more psychologically I believe than anything as he is physically gifted. At the price we have him he could be a huge bargain if he puts up 25 goals which is very likely.

1 More season for Mason, and then decide.

#63 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:04 PM

And Kassian hasn't earned anything yet, either

#64 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:08 PM

ahhhh I know! so frustrating listening to people use this as a constant excuse. If raymonds back was really so bad to the point that it was effecting his play then he shouldnt have even been put in the lineup.
SUCH BS. why cant canucks fans just face facts about some things..

It needn't be that the injury itself was affecting him. It could have been the slight weakening to his core strength, it could have been a slight deterioration in his suppleness due to lost pre season preparation, it could have been the lack of match practice due to missed games..............it could be any number of things, and I haven't even mentioned the psychological effect on his confidence...............None of that need stop a gifted player like Raymond playing but it sure as hell can affect his performance.

Hockey is a tough sport as you know. A compressed fracture to the vertebrae is not like a cruciate knee injury, in that if you get a recurrence it is an operation and a long haul back...............no, it's possible life in a wheel chair, that's how close Raymond came to not playing again.

However none of that is enough to stop a bunch of nomarks banging out a load of hateful and uneducated crap on here at every opportunity while wishing they were half the man Raymond has proved himself to be.

So carry on. Who am I to stop you getting your weekly buzz.
Kevin.jpg

#65 EddieVedder

EddieVedder

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:48 PM

Bodee, you are one of the few Nuck fans on this board that has proven to have a brain. I dont visit these boards often, mostly due to the fact that all you read is nagging and whining from 13 yr olds playing fantasy GM, but its refereshing to see guys like you still around.
You would have had to have actually played the game to understand the countless variables that can affect a players game. This game isnt black and white, and its a shame that most so called fans just do not get it.

Edited by EddieVedder, 16 August 2012 - 02:50 PM.

#66 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:25 PM

Raymonds production was nowhere near as bad as most made out two years ago. His even strength ice time and production was about same as the year before when everybody loved Raymond. Where his production dropped was on the PP. He had about a 33% drop in PP ice time as the second unit didn't get on as often. Then add in Kesler being moved to the first unit and being replaced by Malhotra. That's replacing a 70 point center with a 30 point center. Under those circumstances a drop in production should have been expected. I was impressed he maintained his even strength production given the fact that he had a broken thumb, sprained wrist and a shoulder injury during that season.

But most fans here don't care about such circumstances. They just turn on players the moment they don't live up to their unrealistic expectations. Raymond quickly became the number one whipping boy.

Hey, look someone actually used logic to make a point. Well played sir.
To add to that, Raymond was also one of our better forwards in the last 2 playoff series we played in. You can bring up Kopitar undressing him as much as you want (We won that game for those who seem to forget. Hamhuis gaffe was far worse.) but he was hustling and creating chances the whole series against the Kings. It was the same with the Boston series before having his back busted. He was creating opportunities when it seemed like the rest of the team had just given up.

Booth has well underplayed what we are paying, and is completely inept at playing defence. Kesler was the biggest disappointment on the entire team last season, and interestingly enough Keslers game improved significantly with Raymond on his wing. Kassian has done absolutely nothing to deserve the praise he is reaping.

Raymond deserves the opportunity to maintain his spot on the 2nd line. Maybe if Kesler actually remembers how to pass again, that line might even be productive.

#67 Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog

Formerly Castiel

• Members
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:26 PM

He only played 55 games last season getting 20 points coming off a back injury and people are demanding he be traded after that? Are you f**king serious? What great fans we have. Seeing how Gillis signed him for 1 year, I see Raymond working his ass off this off season to try to get back to how he was and prove next season why he belongs on this team. Some people are just retarded, holy.

#68 westcoast

westcoast

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,392 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:48 PM

Maybe he'll play center until Kesler comes back.

#69 Darth Kane

Darth Kane

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:54 PM

What's the rush to trade Raymond. I don't get it. Maybe once Kesler is healthy and if trading Luongo can yield a top 9 forward. But as things stand right now you'll need a healthy Raymond. I'd put Mason on the 3rd line and on the PK, that's where he seems to have the most success.

rundblad3_zpsc5e56154.png

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.