The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What was the biggest goal in Canadian hockey history?

What's the biggest goal in Canadian hockey history?  

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Personally for me it would have to be Sid the Kids goal in OT at the Olympics. I was at the game, it was seriously the definition of a crowd going bananas, let alone a whole country. The positive effect that drew from it was quite irreplaceable.

Plus, its the only one I was alive for. ::D

The Henderson goal sounds like it was a much bigger deal and it meant a lot to Canada but I can't say for sure because I was not around to witness it. I don't know what the implications of a victory were or how it impacted Hockey Canada or the players or anything like that.

With the Crosby goal it's not like jobs were at stake or anything like that. It was a huge goal because the Games were at home and it meant a lot to the fans.

One doesn't need to have lived at the time of a recorded historic event to understand the meaning and significance of it.

Henderson's goal was the biggest goal in Canada's Hockey history. There is no comparison.

If younger posters don't know why, they should do some reading and learn more about hockey and world history.

Cold War would be a great topic to read up on.

One doesn't need to have lived at the time of a recorded historic event to understand the meaning and significance of it.

Henderson's goal was the biggest goal in Canada's Hockey history. There is no comparison.

If younger posters don't know why, they should do some reading and learn more about hockey and world history.

Cold War would be a great topic to read up on.

The 87 Canada Cup final series was probably the best hockey ever played. 3 games all 6-5. The KLM line in their prime vs Gretzky, Lemieux etc. Game 3 and USSR goes up 3-0 in the first and it seemd like Canada was no match for the Soviets but Canada clawed back and with 1:26 remaining, Gretzky drops it back for Lemieux and he fires it top shelf for the game winner. I still remember it like it was yesterday. The crowd goes nuts. I even remember the quick shot of the cheering fan who lost his footing and nearly fell down while jumping for joy after the goal.

That was hockey as it was meant to be played.

I watched Paul Henderson score that goal from my classroom. It was just one of many schools all over the country that brought TV sets in, just to see that game.

Bear in mind that this was a different era. We had basically no information about the Russians. (In fact, they didn't like to be called Russians back then. They were Soviets. To them, calling them all Russians was akin to calling all Canadians "English".

The Soviets were a dour, seemingly emotionless team built largely around the Red Army team. It was very common to see coach Bobrov blistering his players on the bench, after the slightest of mistakes. There was a lot to dislike about that team, even though they had some unbelievable talent with the likes of Kharlamov, Petrov, Makhailov, Yakushev, Gusev, Vasiliev and of course, Tretiak.

They were the "freedom hating" communists, (most Canadians felt the same was as Americans about Communism back then) while Canada stood for democracy. Besides, it was our game and no-one was going to beat us at it.

Paul Henderson made sure of that.

Hendersons goal by far. The 1972 series changed hockey as Canada was supposed to destroy the Soviets but what happened was a war on ice. The Soviet team and coatching changed the way special teams played on the pp and pk. I can still remember the 1st game in Montreal as the Soviets literally schooled us and you could here a pin drop in the Forum at the end of the game. Everybody in this country was stunned by the way the Soviets took apart team Canada. By the final game everybody was on pins and needles and when Henderson scored you could hear the whole country scream with relief. Hockey played on the edge of razor.

Archived