Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

-Vintage Canuck-

What was the biggest goal in Canadian hockey history?

What's the biggest goal in Canadian hockey history?   94 members have voted

1. 1. What's the biggest goal in Canadian hockey history?

• Paul Henderson, 1972 Summit Series
    • Mario Lemieux, 1987 Canada Cup
    • Sidney Crosby, 2010 Olympics

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

49 posts in this topic

Title says it all, What was the biggest goal in Canadian hockey history?

Personally for me it would have to be Sid the Kids goal in OT at the Olympics. I was at the game, it was seriously the definition of a crowd going bananas, let alone a whole country. The positive effect that drew from it was quite irreplaceable.

Plus, its the only one I was alive for. ::D

The Henderson goal sounds like it was a much bigger deal and it meant a lot to Canada but I can't say for sure because I was not around to witness it. I don't know what the implications of a victory were or how it impacted Hockey Canada or the players or anything like that.

With the Crosby goal it's not like jobs were at stake or anything like that. It was a huge goal because the Games were at home and it meant a lot to the fans.

Bieksa goal that sent the canucks to Stanley cup finals. Why? Cause it was a chance to bring back the cup in Canada.

Seriously I think the Crosby goal and Henderson was important. But not as important as Bieksa goal :bigblush:

One doesn't need to have lived at the time of a recorded historic event to understand the meaning and significance of it.

Henderson's goal was the biggest goal in Canada's Hockey history. There is no comparison.

If younger posters don't know why, they should do some reading and learn more about hockey and world history.

Cold War would be a great topic to read up on.

Burrows Game 7 OT goal vs Chicago!! :P

In all seriousness though, I think it would be the Henderson goal from the 1972 Summit...

Wasn't even alive for it, but Hendersons goal meant even more to Canadians than just hockey supremacy and national pride.

While I understand Henderson's goal and the social implications behind taking back Canada's game from the Soviets, what about 2002 Olympics gold medal game, where Canada snapped a 50-year gold medal drought?

The Henderson goal, I guess. Only because Orr wasn't playing, otherwise we would have demolished the Russians and that series wouldn't have been as close as it was.

Bieksa goal that sent the canucks to Stanley cup finals. Why? Cause it was a chance to bring back the cup in Canada.

Seriously I think the Crosby goal and Henderson was important. But not as important as Burrows's goal :bigblush:

The 87 Canada Cup final series was probably the best hockey ever played. 3 games all 6-5. The KLM line in their prime vs Gretzky, Lemieux etc. Game 3 and USSR goes up 3-0 in the first and it seemd like Canada was no match for the Soviets but Canada clawed back and with 1:26 remaining, Gretzky drops it back for Lemieux and he fires it top shelf for the game winner. I still remember it like it was yesterday. The crowd goes nuts. I even remember the quick shot of the cheering fan who lost his footing and nearly fell down while jumping for joy after the goal.

That was hockey as it was meant to be played.

Think Imma watch the 2002 gold medal game.. havent watched it in a while

Henderson or Crosby. I went with Henderson because I thought it was more important to shape he game for Canadians with a win back in the day but Crosbys was also spectacular because it was in Vancouver and all of Canada went nuts!