Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

What was the biggest goal in Canadian hockey history?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
48 replies to this topic

Poll: What's the biggest goal in Canadian hockey history? (94 member(s) have cast votes)

What's the biggest goal in Canadian hockey history?

1. Paul Henderson, 1972 Summit Series (52 votes [55.32%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 55.32%

2. Mario Lemieux, 1987 Canada Cup (2 votes [2.13%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.13%

3. Sidney Crosby, 2010 Olympics (40 votes [42.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.55%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75,398 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:56 PM

Title says it all, What was the biggest goal in Canadian hockey history?

307mg00.jpg

#2 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:59 PM

Cwosby

#3 biznasty

biznasty

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:01 PM

Henderson because it was the height of the cold war.
Posted Image

#4 BraveHart

BraveHart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:01 PM

Personally for me it would have to be Sid the Kids goal in OT at the Olympics. I was at the game, it was seriously the definition of a crowd going bananas, let alone a whole country. The positive effect that drew from it was quite irreplaceable.

Plus, its the only one I was alive for. ::D

Posted Image

#5 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 26,104 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:06 PM

The Henderson goal sounds like it was a much bigger deal and it meant a lot to Canada but I can't say for sure because I was not around to witness it. I don't know what the implications of a victory were or how it impacted Hockey Canada or the players or anything like that.

With the Crosby goal it's not like jobs were at stake or anything like that. It was a huge goal because the Games were at home and it meant a lot to the fans.
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#6 Honeydews

Honeydews

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:23 PM

Bieksa goal that sent the canucks to Stanley cup finals. Why? Cause it was a chance to bring back the cup in Canada.
Seriously I think the Crosby goal and Henderson was important. But not as important as Bieksa goal :bigblush:
Posted ImagePosted Image
Credit to pwnstar for this amazing kesler sig :)

#7 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:25 PM

One doesn't need to have lived at the time of a recorded historic event to understand the meaning and significance of it.

Henderson's goal was the biggest goal in Canada's Hockey history. There is no comparison.

If younger posters don't know why, they should do some reading and learn more about hockey and world history.

Cold War would be a great topic to read up on.

#8 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,864 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:48 PM

One doesn't need to have lived at the time of a recorded historic event to understand the meaning and significance of it.

Henderson's goal was the biggest goal in Canada's Hockey history. There is no comparison.

If younger posters don't know why, they should do some reading and learn more about hockey and world history.

Cold War would be a great topic to read up on.

This. It was 4 years before I was born and I know it was huge. Crosby's goal, and even Lemieux's goal have sentimental value (Hawerchuk, Gretzky, Lemieux!) but Hendersons' was huge.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#9 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:52 PM

Burrows Game 7 OT goal vs Chicago!! :P

In all seriousness though, I think it would be the Henderson goal from the 1972 Summit...

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

#10 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,226 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:56 PM

Wasn't even alive for it, but Hendersons goal meant even more to Canadians than just hockey supremacy and national pride.

Edited by Jagermeister, 15 August 2012 - 11:57 PM.

Jagermeister.jpg

#11 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:26 AM

While I understand Henderson's goal and the social implications behind taking back Canada's game from the Soviets, what about 2002 Olympics gold medal game, where Canada snapped a 50-year gold medal drought?

#12 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,029 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:30 AM

The Henderson goal, I guess. Only because Orr wasn't playing, otherwise we would have demolished the Russians and that series wouldn't have been as close as it was.
Posted Image

#13 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,982 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:10 AM

Bieksa goal that sent the canucks to Stanley cup finals. Why? Cause it was a chance to bring back the cup in Canada.
Seriously I think the Crosby goal and Henderson was important. But not as important as Burrows's goal :bigblush:

Fixed.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#14 Mike Versace ESQ

Mike Versace ESQ

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:00 AM

The 87 Canada Cup final series was probably the best hockey ever played. 3 games all 6-5. The KLM line in their prime vs Gretzky, Lemieux etc. Game 3 and USSR goes up 3-0 in the first and it seemd like Canada was no match for the Soviets but Canada clawed back and with 1:26 remaining, Gretzky drops it back for Lemieux and he fires it top shelf for the game winner. I still remember it like it was yesterday. The crowd goes nuts. I even remember the quick shot of the cheering fan who lost his footing and nearly fell down while jumping for joy after the goal.

That was hockey as it was meant to be played.

Posted ImagePosted Image

FOLLOW @MikeVersace1

#shapcrew #membersonly

credit to CanucksHD for the avatar

#15 Tanev's Smirk

Tanev's Smirk

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:02 AM

Henderson's goal followed by the Salt Lake gold medal goal.

#16 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:36 AM

Hendo.
I'm saying Aladeen a lot because http://forum.canucks...dpost__10922428

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#17 lx Birdie xl

lx Birdie xl

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:41 AM

Think Imma watch the 2002 gold medal game.. havent watched it in a while

#18 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,928 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:58 AM

I watched Paul Henderson score that goal from my classroom. It was just one of many schools all over the country that brought TV sets in, just to see that game.

Bear in mind that this was a different era. We had basically no information about the Russians. (In fact, they didn't like to be called Russians back then. They were Soviets. To them, calling them all Russians was akin to calling all Canadians "English".

The Soviets were a dour, seemingly emotionless team built largely around the Red Army team. It was very common to see coach Bobrov blistering his players on the bench, after the slightest of mistakes. There was a lot to dislike about that team, even though they had some unbelievable talent with the likes of Kharlamov, Petrov, Makhailov, Yakushev, Gusev, Vasiliev and of course, Tretiak.

They were the "freedom hating" communists, (most Canadians felt the same was as Americans about Communism back then) while Canada stood for democracy. Besides, it was our game and no-one was going to beat us at it.

Paul Henderson made sure of that.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#19 Versace

Versace

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:47 AM

Henderson or Crosby. I went with Henderson because I thought it was more important to shape he game for Canadians with a win back in the day but Crosbys was also spectacular because it was in Vancouver and all of Canada went nuts!

#20 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:06 AM

Hendersons goal by far. The 1972 series changed hockey as Canada was supposed to destroy the Soviets but what happened was a war on ice. The Soviet team and coatching changed the way special teams played on the pp and pk. I can still remember the 1st game in Montreal as the Soviets literally schooled us and you could here a pin drop in the Forum at the end of the game. Everybody in this country was stunned by the way the Soviets took apart team Canada. By the final game everybody was on pins and needles and when Henderson scored you could hear the whole country scream with relief. Hockey played on the edge of razor.

#21 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,714 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:02 AM

Henderson.

#22 Tru_Knyte

Tru_Knyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,355 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:00 PM

Crosby's goal defined an Olympics, Henderson's defined a generation.
Posted Image

#23 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,698 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:14 PM

Henderson. No contest. Not even close.

The Crosby one was a big one because it was a close game and in overtime, but Henderson's goal was about even more than hockey. Our nation's pride was at stake more than ever.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#24 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:15 PM

If there's a goal that everyone remembers, it was back in ol' 72
we all squeezed the stick and we all pulled the trigger
and all I remember is sitting beside you
you said you didn't give a frack about hockey
and I never saw someone say that before
you held my hand and we walked home the long way
you were loosening my grip on Bobby Orr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVs_TZOZD0w

Henderson's goal will always be the biggest goal because of the context it was scored in. For me, I will always be able to understand the importance of Henderson's goal. However, I will never be able to truly feel how important that goal was. I'll always remember the feeling of the Crosby goal. Such a vivid memory of the entire day.

Edited by Down by the River, 16 August 2012 - 01:18 PM.

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#25 Alex Burrows 14

Alex Burrows 14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:26 PM

I know it wasnt the biggest goal in canadian hockey history but this was still huge. id say top 5

Posted Image

#26 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:35 PM

I know it wasnt the biggest goal in canadian hockey history but this was still huge. id say top 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8v8C3scwvg

GM: Can you BELIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVE IT!!!!!

PM: I can

:picard:

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#27 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:21 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8v8C3scwvg

Posted Image

#28 thema

thema

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:28 PM

Henderson, easy. I too saw that one at school; they put the whole school in the lunchroom and we watched it on a terrible little black and white TV.

Crosby's was also a big one however. Imagine if he doesn't score and the Americans do. Lou would have been tarred and feathered.

#29 Bill Sikes

Bill Sikes

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,607 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:32 PM

The Henderson goal sounds like it was a much bigger deal and it meant a lot to Canada but I can't say for sure because I was not around to witness it. I don't know what the implications of a victory were or how it impacted Hockey Canada or the players or anything like that.

With the Crosby goal it's not like jobs were at stake or anything like that. It was a huge goal because the Games were at home and it meant a lot to the fans.

Recall how tense you were when the overtime in 2010 began? Multiply by about 1,000,000, hold it for an entire month, then picture the relief when the goal is scored.

#30 pomorick

pomorick

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:41 PM

I too watched that game in my high school. Even people that didn't like hockey were riveted to the game. Truly us against them. They had nuclear bombs pointed at us. They were a totalitarian state and we were proud to be free. Hockey was our game and then they were beating us??? There has never been a more intense sporting event ever. Miracle on ice was a distant second.
Henderson was totally amazing. It is a crime that he is not in the hockey hall of fame.

Edited by pomorick, 16 August 2012 - 05:41 PM.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.