92 replies to this topic

#31 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:56 AM

Gillis is a great GM, I like what he's doing with Luongo, fielding offers and waiting for the best value, but he's somewhat blind in other areas. We need another forward that can play with Kesler. We got Booth, and now we need one more. What does he do? He extends Raymond. As soon as he did that, I lost all faith. He won't trade Raymond either, whose gonna want Mason Raymond? Not even for a seventh rounder. In his pressers, he stated that he has full confidence in Raymond, and he feels that he can be that second liner he once was.

Strongly disagree with you on two counts in this paragraph.

One, Gillis is NOT doing the right thing with Luongo. Lou's value has nowhere to go but down. If MG's betting on some team's goalie tearing his ACL, and them paying a premium to acquire Lou, that is extremely risky, for the facts that he's then betting on a low probability event to occur, and that Luongo might not want to go to, say, Detroit, anyway, if Jimmy Howard is to tear his ACL. Gillis has gone about this situation in the entirely WRONG way. He'd be best to concede his mistake, get rid of the cancer before it spreads, and just move on. There's really no point in holding out, here, because there's no conceivable way that 33 year-old Roberto Luongo's value will somehow increase by being Cory Schneider's backup. Think about it.

As for the Mason Raymond signing, I like it. 1 year. $2.2M. That's not a bad deal at all. Mason Raymond is not nearly as bad as his perception on this board would suggest. Prior 20-goal scorer, good age. Speed. I don't know how this is considered a "failure". He's a second/third line tweener, nothing wrong with that at all. IMO, this is easily Gillis' best move of the summer.

#32 Sick Hands

Sick Hands

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:56 AM

If MG re-signed Raymond, he must have seen potential and skill most people do not. He is a GM for a reason and you guys are not.

stop hatin

Oh my bad,

I was not aware that just because someone is appointed for a position, means they can't make bad decisions or mistakes.

Posted Image

A Toast to Aquillini for getting Torterella.

An owner who knows what the people want.

That's entertainment.

#33 Dancin'Droid

Dancin'Droid

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:07 AM

We're getting Doan so doan'nt worry :bigblush:

Are you a fart or a ninja? :bigblush:

Edited by Dancin'Droid, 16 August 2012 - 09:10 AM.

DancingAndroidYellow-1.gif

2013 Kent Jr. Football Champion

2014 Bronze Boot

2014 Kent Sr. Football Champion

2014 SWOSSA Football Finalist 

#34 keslerian one

keslerian one

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:15 AM

What if we signed Doan or Raymond scores 20 goals or Lu actually nets us a good return?

#35 Laoag

Laoag

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:32 AM

Kassian has a far better chance at making the top six than Jensen. Why bring up Jensen to the top six when he's not even ready?

how do you know he isn't ready Mr. Mullet? maybe some of us are closer to these people than you and think they just may be ready :bigblush:

#36 winacup

winacup

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:45 AM

We're getting Doan so doan'nt worry :bigblush:

doan wants to win a cup. there's not a snowballs chance in hell he's going to sign here.
Posted Image

#37 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,800 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:56 AM

I suspect there will be at least one more player in the mix to keep the "fight for every roster spot" mentality. Assuming Doan stay in Phoenix, we will grab someone like Huselius as extra competition.

So you will have him, Jensen, and Raymond fighting it out for a 2nd line position.

I don't see Kassian in the mix at all yet, and if last year is repeated AV will want to have a very consistent 3rd line that stays together regardless of different roster configuations, that means whoever doesn't make the 2nd line will either be on the 4th line or i nthe press box.
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#38 RIPRYP

RIPRYP

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:08 AM

5/5 would definitely read again

RIP to the BEST pound for pound fighter the NHL has ever seen. Will be missed.

#39 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:58 AM

Dooooom..... we're doomed!!!
Posted Image

#40 Dank23Hank

Dank23Hank

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:55 AM

wow you are very ignorant first of all the only reason Hodgson was traded is because Hodgson himself wanted to be traded and don't you think MG tried getting a better deal for him but obviously it didn't work so he had to make the Kassian move. Secondly thats bullcrap you can't say Luongo isn't an all star goalie anymore thats so stupid his stats alone show hes an all star goalie let alone the gold medal and vezina nominations.

#41 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:54 PM

There is a reason why this Lu trade is taking so long, nobody wants him for MGs price tag.

THAT DOESN'T MEAN WE ARE GETTING PEANUTS FOR LUONGO THOUGH. IT JUST MEANS MG IS BETTER THAN YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.

Maybe MG is being greedy BECAUSE HE CAN AFFORD TO.

Look at all these teams that supposedly solved their goaltending problem with a cheap solution. WHAT IF THEY DON'T WORK OUT? MAYBE TAMPA BECOMES AN OPTION?

YOU EVER THINK OF THAT BRO?

Then the price GOES UP DRASTICALLY.

YOU DON'T KNOW MORE THAN THE BEST GM THIS TEAM HAS EVER HAD.

ALSO CAPSLOCK BECAUSE ANGER

Buddy I called this EXACT situtation on here two years ago and was flamed, so I guess I have a bit of hockey knowledge, not to mention the 4 years I played in the OHL idiot.

The conspiracy theories that used to be against Lateralus:
Puberty, life, movie theaters, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out during a children's movie, Toy Story 3, Pixar, who ever decided to make Woody so damn attractive, a job, his mothers basement, being 40, being 40 five years ago, dogs who can out run him, all dogs, the Olympic committee, Truth, Fact, Honesty, Logic, Newsflash, a father figure who was there to see him learn to ride his first bike, bikes,

#42 kylecanuck

kylecanuck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:54 PM

doan wants to win a cup. there's not a snowballs chance in hell he's going to sign here.

Don't know much about snowballs chances but I can tell you we are on a very short list, I believe the actual odds are 33.3%. If he wants to win a cup that cuts out Phoenix which gives us a 50% chance....

The odds of anyone on this board knowen a damn thing about anything behind closed doors though.. Now thats a snowballs chance!!!(what does that mean)?
The children, wont someone please think of the children!!!

#43 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:56 PM

Again, some of you may think this is negative, but I am just being realistic. There is a reason why this Lu trade is taking so long, nobody wants him for MGs price tag. Sure, I might be wrong about Doan, maybe he will sign here, but it's most likely he stays in the Desert. Being realistic and being negative are two VERY different things.

No, you're being negative. You lost all faith after he re-signed Raymond. So you just automatically assume Raymond is going to stay the whole year? How do you know Raymond is worth no more than a 7th rounder? How do you figure Kassian will NEVER be a 2nd liner?

#44 mysticriver

mysticriver

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:09 PM

THAT DOESN'T MEAN WE ARE GETTING PEANUTS FOR LUONGO THOUGH. IT JUST MEANS MG IS BETTER THAN YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.

Maybe MG is being greedy BECAUSE HE CAN AFFORD TO.

Look at all these teams that supposedly solved their goaltending problem with a cheap solution. WHAT IF THEY DON'T WORK OUT? MAYBE TAMPA BECOMES AN OPTION?

YOU EVER THINK OF THAT BRO?

Then the price GOES UP DRASTICALLY.

YOU DON'T KNOW MORE THAN THE BEST GM THIS TEAM HAS EVER HAD.

ALSO CAPSLOCK BECAUSE ANGER

Do you really think Luongo's going to stick around with the Canucks (after he has stated it's time to move on and after Gillis has already signed Schneider) until some other team falters due to poor goaltending and start inquiring about him? IMO, there is really no way he plays another game in a Canucks uniform. The whole situation (with the fans, the media, and the locker-room) will be toxic. Luongo's preferred destination is most-likely FLA (family reasons), but Florida doesn't seem too enthused with trading for Luongo if it's going to cost them what Gillis is asking for.

Posted Image

Sig/Avatar by ExpectoPatronum

#45 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:12 PM

lol no sir Jensen is better than Kassian in the offensive aspect which is what the second line is used for Kassian is better in the hard hitting agressive aspect which is what the third line s used for... see whats going on here? Jensen is ready did you not see him in the AHL? he handles himself just fine, we need to give our young guys a chance Jensen might be exactly what Booth and Kesler needs.

Based on what, exactly?
Posted Image

#46 Gage

Gage

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:45 PM

Yay another post started by another crybaby complaining the GM hasnt done everything they may have wanted this offseason. THANKS FOR SHARING!

"there's someone by the name of Doan, forget it. He's staying in Phoenix" <--- lol !! like you know anything about what doan will do!, yet you proclaim you do!

from there you go on to complain about the gm cause he signed raymond and you dont like raymond, boo hoo. According to you Gillis traded hodgson for size? never mind the real issues like hodson wanting to be traded, or the select group of players Gillis specifically said he was looking for, forget all that now, according to you it was only for size because of the boston series.

But the Best part of this post is you telling us how much we will get for trading Luongo, and telling us how all the other teams in the league feel. wow you claim to know alot!

Thanks for all your insight but i think were gonna wait and see what happens. There are so many possibilities that can see new players in our top six by the time the season starts its not even funny.

Gillis is doing an amazing job as GM and complaining about him because he isnt doing what you would do is patetic.

#47 CmdrAdama

CmdrAdama

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:26 PM

My Crystal ball says:

Posted Image

You may be WRONG

Magic 8 Ball, is that you? Love all these negative/positive threads! Let's hope the owners and PA get close enough to tango in the next week or so! Wouldn't mind seeing a season. Christmas is too far away for decent hockey!

#48 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:35 PM

Do you really think Luongo's going to stick around with the Canucks (after he has stated it's time to move on and after Gillis has already signed Schneider) until some other team falters due to poor goaltending and start inquiring about him?

Yes.

IMO, there is really no way he plays another game in a Canucks uniform. The whole situation (with the fans, the media, and the locker-room) will be toxic.

So? I don't really care about another President's trophy, and we are probably winning the division. So as long as we make the playoffs, who cares if there is an elephant in the room for a couple of months into the season? Especially if it lands us a new face who can be a key contributor to the team after Lu is gone? If this situation stops us from making the playoffs, there are bigger problems with the team. Don't worry.

Luongo's preferred destination is most-likely FLA (family reasons), but Florida doesn't seem too enthused with trading for Luongo if it's going to cost them what Gillis is asking for.

Yeah, lets see if the Florida teams share this sentiment next November or December.

Buddy I called this EXACT situtation on here two years ago and was flamed, so I guess I have a bit of hockey knowledge, not to mention the 4 years I played in the OHL idiot.

Puberty, life, movie theaters, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out during a children's movie, Toy Story 3, Pixar, who ever decided to make Woody so damn attractive, a job, his mothers basement, being 40, being 40 five years ago, dogs who can out run him, all dogs, the Olympic committee, Truth, Fact, Honesty, Logic, Newsflash, a father figure who was there to see him learn to ride his first bike, bikes,

#49 Tragoedia

Tragoedia

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:11 PM

Dooooom..... we're doomed!!!

61c1f524-b05e-4da1-b54d-e7ac1d87c904.jpg

#50 mysticriver

mysticriver

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:43 PM

So? I don't really care about another President's trophy, and we are probably winning the division. So as long as we make the playoffs, who cares if there is an elephant in the room for a couple of months into the season? Especially if it lands us a new face who can be a key contributor to the team after Lu is gone? If this situation stops us from making the playoffs, there are bigger problems with the team. Don't worry.

Yes, let's just completely disregard Luongo in this situation as he continues to play for a team where he's clearly lost his position and has publicly stated it's time to move on. After every game, and after every practice the players (and Schneider) will continue to have to answer questions regarding Lu. It just comes off as something a bush league team would do.

Posted Image

#51 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:13 PM

Oh my bad,

I was not aware that just because someone is appointed for a position, means they can't make bad decisions or mistakes.

Posted Image

Tssss.... Burn!

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#52 beer&meat

beer&meat

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:27 PM

Yes, let's just completely disregard Luongo in this situation as he continues to play for a team where he's clearly lost his position and has publicly stated it's time to move on. After every game, and after every practice the players (and Schneider) will continue to have to answer questions regarding Lu. It just comes off as something a bush league team would do.

Source?
Luongo wasn't pulled in the playoffs because he played bad (if you think that then you are more ignorant than I thought). he was pulled to light a fire under the perferbial a$$ of the team. C.S. just happened to play very well in his outings which forced A.V. to continue to play him (which incidently is what everyone was crying for during the regular season "play the hot hand"
NEVER has it been publicly stated that Luo had lost his starting position, it has been said that IF Luongo is still with the team that him and C.S. would "fight" for the starting position.
IMO Luongo wins that fight all day.
I don't ride with the band, I roll with the team.

I've been a Canuck fan since 2004-05 when the team was going through a huge transition phase, missed the playoffs

#53 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:08 PM

Yes, let's just completely disregard Luongo in this situation as he continues to play for a team where he's clearly lost his position and has publicly stated it's time to move on.

Sarcasm to you too, jerk.

After every game, and after every practice the players (and Schneider) will continue to have to answer questions regarding Lu.

This is different from other seasons... how? So they'll be answering questions about his trade instead of him getting pulled. What's new?

It just comes off as something a bush league team would do.

Why? Yes he stated it is time to move on, but why is it bush league if he is traded during the season?

#54 CHIPS

CHIPS

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:17 PM

Even if we don't get Doan, we might still get a top 6 guy by:

1) Trading Luongo
2) Signing UFAs. Heselius, Langkow, Hecht, Arnott
3) Signing RFAs. Evander Kane, Omark, Ennis

Edited by CHIPS, 16 August 2012 - 06:18 PM.

CanucksvsBruinsPollsmall-1.jpgRogerNeilsonSmall.jpgSig too big. 

#55 mysticriver

mysticriver

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:17 PM

Source?
Luongo wasn't pulled in the playoffs because he played bad (if you think that then you are more ignorant than I thought). he was pulled to light a fire under the perferbial a$$ of the team. C.S. just happened to play very well in his outings which forced A.V. to continue to play him (which incidently is what everyone was crying for during the regular season "play the hot hand"
NEVER has it been publicly stated that Luo had lost his starting position, it has been said that IF Luongo is still with the team that him and C.S. would "fight" for the starting position.
IMO Luongo wins that fight all day.

You really need a freaking source for this (other than the fact that Luongo publicly came out and said it's time for him to move on?) Have you been living under a rock for the last 3 months?

If you don't believe that Luongo has lost his starting job to Schneider, you're the one out to lunch. And when the hell did I say Luongo was bad in the playoffs? Why the hell are you putting words in my mouth? Everybody and their grandmas know that it was the lazy/lousy play of the team in front of Luongo/Schneider that cost us. Schneider, however, was still better than Luongo in the Kings series.The stats speak for themselves.

Edited by mysticriver, 16 August 2012 - 06:24 PM.

Posted Image

#56 mysticriver

mysticriver

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:20 PM

Why? Yes he stated it is time to move on, but why is it bush league if he is traded during the season?

I don't know where the insults are coming from, but touche. I just think Luongo (fully aware of the fact that he will be moved) would probably get a little frustrated sitting around, waiting for Gillis to trade him "until the time is right." And the meantime, he goes out there and fetches us wins.

Forgive me for seeing it this way.

Edited by mysticriver, 16 August 2012 - 06:20 PM.

Posted Image

#57 PONCHE

PONCHE

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:32 PM

Edit: Just because you can make a cool name like AMEX and they are all from the same country this line has some of the worst chemistry in hockey. Its like a line that doens't know if it's a checking line or a scoring line with no playmaking ability on it.

By far the best thing i've seen on CDC in months. Perfectly sums up that line
Posted Image

#58 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,382 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:34 PM

I don't get whats the big deal. 26 other teams failed to get a top 6 foward. Minnesota, New York and Dallas are the only teams that got a top 6 foward. Does it mean 26 other gms failed at their jobs? What the hell.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#59 mysticriver

mysticriver

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:37 PM

By far the best thing i've seen on CDC in months. Perfectly sums up that line

They had good chemistry when they were together... But then AV put Higgins on the third line and Booth got injured. They probably deserve another shot with a healthy Kesler and a Booth who's more familiar with our system. Yeah an upgrade would be nice, but if that doesn't happen, who else are we going to put there? Raymond?

Posted Image

#60 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:53 PM

Absolutely.

Look at how Ray Shero handled Jordan Staal. That's how you take care of business. Not this posturing crap.

Take your lumps, Gillis, you backed yourself into a corner in this one, and you're getting what you deserve. Suck it up and trade the man.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.