The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Van-Ott

I don't really like to make proposals, but I was bored so:

(Note: This only occurs if we are unable to sign Doan or Arnott)

To Ott:

Keith Ballard

Ottawa gets a NHL calibre defenceman that they desperately need, Mike Lundin is not a good enough player to be in the starting 6, and Jared Cowen isn't ready for a top 4 role yet.

To Van:

Zack Smith

5th Round Pick

Ottawa has a bit of a glut of young 3rd/4th line calibre players, so the loss of Smith wouldn't take a huge toll on their team. Canucks get a versatile 3rd line Centre, who is more than willing to get into the dirty areas, and stand up for his teammates. He's 6'2, 212lbs, 24 years old, and put up 26 points in 81 games in his 1st full NHL season last year.

To make up for the loss of Ballard, we sign Scott Hannan to a 1 year, $1-1.5M deal.

Smith is much more valuable to Ottawa than ballard.

Cowen had 18:53 TOI average in his rookie season.   So i'm pretty sure he's ok as at top 4.  

Karlsson-Gonchar

Cowen-Methot

Phillips

I'd take those five before Ballard any day.  So does Ottawa. And Lundin is fine as 6th d-man

I like the idea.... plus Smith is really good buddies with Dale Weise.

But i have said this before and I will say it again: Ballard, despite his hefty salary, is a really solid number 5 dman who can step into the top 4 if injuries strike. We have the cap space to keep him, and if he plays as well as he did in the LA series then it would be worth it.

What about this instead:

Senators:

- Y. Sauve

- 4th Round Pick

Canucks:

- Z. Smith

Smith is much more valuable to Ottawa than ballard.

Cowen had 18:53 TOI average in his rookie season. So i'm pretty sure he's ok as at top 4.

Karlsson-Gonchar

Cowen-Methot

Phillips

I'd take those five before Ballard any day. So does Ottawa. And Lundin is fine as 6th d-man

Zack Kassian, Zack Smith, all we'd need is Zack Stortini to complete the Zack Attack line.

In all seriousness, I think Smith would add some much needed grit to the bottom 6, assuming Raymond does not have a bounce back season he would be done in Vancouver, it would also make Malhotra expendable as well after this season (allowing them both to walk UFA). A third line of Higgins-Smith-Hansen would be pretty sweet.

I'd just as soon give up Ballard for the resultant cap space it frees up going into next season when we need to re-sign Edler, Burrows, Higgins, Hansen next season, and the Sedins the season after. Our T4 core is set and it's not difficult to find a bottom pairing d-man to shore up the defence.

They wanted to fly in Nolan Baumgartner, who was vacationing in California at the time, before giving Ballard playing time in the SCF of 2011. 2011-12 may have even been worse than his first year here. Look at those stats - yuck.

Of course, you'll never hear publicly from Gillis that it was a mistake, but it clearly was. I would think that we'd take virtually anything to get him off of our roster. He has been a DISASTER, no sugar-coating required.

So you think that it's a good trade for Ottawa to give up someone who's 6 years younger, gets paid 3.5 mil less, can score, can hit, can fight, can play on the pk for someone who doesn't really stand out at anything. And before you guys all tell me "oh AV hasn't utilized him properly!" give it a rest. Ballard's been here 2 years and has played over 100 games as a Canuck. If he's got something to show AV, he would've shown it by now. And who should I trust more? A coach who's led this team to numerous NW titles, 2 conference titles, 2 presidents trophies, and who brought us within one game of winning it all or Keith Ballard? Hmm tough one. Bryan Murray would hang up the phone before MG finishes saying Keith Ballard.

So basically people think Ballard is a useless plug who no team in the league would want, or they think he will have some sort of crazy bounce back season?

Ballard is a decent bottom pair or below average top 4 DMan (on some teams), his big issue is that he is overpaid. For a team like Ottawa with the amount of cap room they have ($19M) that issue is irrelevant.

Archived