The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Optimistic View

BombaySeven

While I haven't posted on here before I have been reading a lot of the posts and I've noticed how down/upset/frustrated this Canucks fan base seems to be about the upcoming season.  Even if nothing happens for the rest of the summer I firmly believe we are on good shape.. IMO:

- We upgraded our D with Garrison over Salo/Rome.. Even if Garrison doesn't have the same point production, having a top teir shut down dman is incredibly beneficial.

- We have locked up Schneider for the next 3 years and will probably be our new starter and from why we have seen it should be very fun to watch keep improving and helping the franchise.

- Our top six isn't for absolutely set which has the possibility to jumpstart the competition between the players. When people are set a a top 2 line player they can get lazy or just lack motivation.  The fact that many players are competing for top line minutes just means we may get more out of some players.

- We still have Luongo as a bargaining chip.  I say keep him unless MG gets something that helps our team.  Those who said just salary dump him are not seeing what Luongo could is actually worth.  I think it's great to hold out a bit into the season and watch some teams struggle with goaltenders and then when they look around for other possibilities, we have their missing piece.  

and later on if we are struggling in any of these positions then we can use Luongo to upgrade.  And if we aren't struggling at all then perhaps we continue to split minutes with Schneider. Again I said PERHAPS... 

I remember in game 6 of our first round against the Blackhawks when  Schneider ended up getting hurt on that penalty shot and everyone was like "OH NO!"... And then we had Luongo come in.  If Luongo is a pretty good backup plan if u ask me.

Anyways just though I would try to shed a bit of an optimistic view throughout this forum!

GO CANUCKS 2012/13!

What you don't seem to understand is that getting rid of Luongo (which is not easy by the way given that he decides what team he will accept to go to and has a huge contract) frees up cap space that you can then use to upgrade. So even getting only picks for Luongo can upgrade the team because we will not have $5.3 mil in cap space on the bench.

You have to be in the position to be ready to sign someone first. Last thing Gillis needs is to trade him away for a bag of pucks only to find the all decent free agents have been snatched up.

PS: His contact ain't that huge anymore compared to others around the league.

We don't have to be better than the Canuck 10-11 team. I'm pretty sure the Canucks will not play a previous years lineup during the next season. The Canucks have to be better than other teams. If you look at which teams have improved in the closed season it is teams like NYR, EDM, MIN, CAR, DAL. The only team that made the playoffs last year and has improved in the closed season is NYR. The other improved teams are improving from a very low baseline. PHO,NSH, DET, PHI and WSH all made the playoffs and are all arguably weaker this upcoming season.

CHI, SJ,STL, LA, BOS, FLA,PIT, OTT and NJD I believe are pretty much unchanged.

I beleive that VAN have improved, albeit a slight improvement. There is much to be optimistic about.

What you don't seem to understand is that getting rid of Luongo (which is not easy by the way given that he decides what team he will accept to go to and has a huge contract) frees up cap space that you can then use to upgrade. So even getting only picks for Luongo can upgrade the team because we will not have $5.3 mil in cap space on the bench.

I agree for sure but just getting rid of a quality number 1 goalie and not getting something that's gunna help us in return is a waste if u ask me. I dont think we have to rush into decisions in the summer.. We can see how our team is actually doing during the season instead of imagining how are team is right now, and then adjust our roster accordingly.

Archived