67 replies to this topic

#1 BombaySeven

BombaySeven

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:25 PM

While I haven't posted on here before I have been reading a lot of the posts and I've noticed how down/upset/frustrated this Canucks fan base seems to be about the upcoming season.  Even if nothing happens for the rest of the summer I firmly believe we are on good shape.. IMO:
- We upgraded our D with Garrison over Salo/Rome.. Even if Garrison doesn't have the same point production, having a top teir shut down dman is incredibly beneficial.
- We have locked up Schneider for the next 3 years and will probably be our new starter and from why we have seen it should be very fun to watch keep improving and helping the franchise.
- Our top six isn't for absolutely set which has the possibility to jumpstart the competition between the players. When people are set a a top 2 line player they can get lazy or just lack motivation.  The fact that many players are competing for top line minutes just means we may get more out of some players.
- We still have Luongo as a bargaining chip.  I say keep him unless MG gets something that helps our team.  Those who said just salary dump him are not seeing what Luongo could is actually worth.  I think it's great to hold out a bit into the season and watch some teams struggle with goaltenders and then when they look around for other possibilities, we have their missing piece.  
     and later on if we are struggling in any of these positions then we can use Luongo to upgrade.  And if we aren't struggling at all then perhaps we continue to split minutes with Schneider. Again I said PERHAPS... 

I remember in game 6 of our first round against the Blackhawks when  Schneider ended up getting hurt on that penalty shot and everyone was like "OH NO!"... And then we had Luongo come in.  If Luongo is a pretty good backup plan if u ask me.

Anyways just though I would try to shed a bit of an optimistic view throughout this forum!

GO CANUCKS 2012/13!

#2 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:27 PM

POPULAR

Teams in "good" shape don't win Cups. Great teams do. We're not cup worthy as we are now.
I'm saying Aladeen a lot because http://forum.canucks...dpost__10922428

View Postdajusta, on 27 March 2012 - 12:28 PM, said:

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#3 Blueberries

Blueberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:32 PM

Teams in "good" shape don't win Cups. Great teams do. We're not cup worthy as we are now.

Posted Image

THANKS TO VINTAGE CANUCK FOR THE AWESOME SIG!!

#4 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,394 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:33 PM

We don't take to kindly to Optimists 'round here.
Posted Image

#5 BombaySeven

BombaySeven

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:36 PM

We don't take to kindly to Optimists 'round here.

I'm finding that out real quick haha

#6 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:39 PM

We can't affords to keep both Loungo and Schneider, it's waste of cap space.

#7 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:40 PM

I still want more offensive depth and an upgraded 4th line, but I'll wait to judge until the season starts or even after the trade deadline.

#8 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:41 PM

I'm finding that out real quick haha

There's a lot of positive on this team right now. I don't fell we are as good as our 10-11 team at the moment, but a blockbuster Luongo trade could change that in an instant. We learned in 2011 what it takes to win a cup. I don't think we have that right now.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#9 BombaySeven

BombaySeven

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:47 PM

We can't affords to keep both Loungo and Schneider, it's waste of cap space.

I agree for sure but just getting rid of a quality number 1 goalie and not getting something that's gunna help us in return is a waste if u ask me. I dont think we have to rush into decisions in the summer.. We can see how our team is actually doing during the season instead of imagining how are team is right now, and then adjust our roster accordingly.

#10 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:51 PM

I agree for sure but just getting rid of a quality number 1 goalie and not getting something that's gunna help us in return is a waste if u ask me.

I agree. Luckily, it doesn't look like Gillis is taking any low ball offers, though.

Posted Image

#11 coastal1

coastal1

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:04 PM

I agree. Luckily, it doesn't look like Gillis is taking any low ball offers, though.

What you don't seem to understand is that getting rid of Luongo (which is not easy by the way given that he decides what team he will accept to go to and has a huge contract) frees up cap space that you can then use to upgrade. So even getting only picks for Luongo can upgrade the team because we will not have $5.3 mil in cap space on the bench.

#12 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:12 PM

What you don't seem to understand is that getting rid of Luongo (which is not easy by the way given that he decides what team he will accept to go to and has a huge contract) frees up cap space that you can then use to upgrade. So even getting only picks for Luongo can upgrade the team because we will not have $5.3 mil in cap space on the bench.

You have to be in the position to be ready to sign someone first. Last thing Gillis needs is to trade him away for a bag of pucks only to find the all decent free agents have been snatched up.

PS: His contact ain't that huge anymore compared to others around the league.

Edited by SukhKular, 16 August 2012 - 01:13 PM.

Posted Image

#13 BombaySeven

BombaySeven

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:14 PM

You have to be in the position to be ready to sign someone first. Last thing Gillis needs is to trade him away for a bag of pucks only to find the all decent free agents have been snatched up.

PS: His contact ain't that huge anymore compared to others around the league.

Exactly... When we get rid of his salary who are we picking up? (not rhetorical is there actually someone ?)

#14 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,027 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:25 PM

I feel we are not as good as 10-11 but better than 11-12

2qn360i.jpg

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#15 RIPRYP

RIPRYP

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:28 PM

We need Rypien. He was our 5th gear :(
RIP

RIP to the BEST pound for pound fighter the NHL has ever seen. Will be missed.

#16 BombaySeven

BombaySeven

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:31 PM

I feel we are not as good as 10-11 but better than 11-12

I would agree with this for sure! And we still have the ability throughout the year to find our teams weakness and then address it with a luongo deal which could be exactly what we need to push us over the edge!

#17 danaimo

danaimo

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:15 PM

We don't have to be better than the Canuck 10-11 team. I'm pretty sure the Canucks will not play a previous years lineup during the next season. The Canucks have to be better than other teams. If you look at which teams have improved in the closed season it is teams like NYR, EDM, MIN, CAR, DAL. The only team that made the playoffs last year and has improved in the closed season is NYR. The other improved teams are improving from a very low baseline. PHO,NSH, DET, PHI and WSH all made the playoffs and are all arguably weaker this upcoming season.
CHI, SJ,STL, LA, BOS, FLA,PIT, OTT and NJD I believe are pretty much unchanged.
I beleive that VAN have improved, albeit a slight improvement. There is much to be optimistic about.

#18 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,119 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:37 PM

Exactly... When we get rid of his salary who are we picking up? (not rhetorical is there actually someone ?)

Doan would have been the obvious answer, but recent rumours suggest he goes back to Phoenix. We'd have to move people in a trade otherwise unless we try and sign some depth players and hope others already in our system step up.

As Gillis has said, there's no rush, and he could change his mind at any point if something comes up where he needs the cap space.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#19 rawkdrummer

rawkdrummer

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:49 PM

Cap space is only good if there's a player available to use it on and at this time there isn't much as far a free agents go (don't say Doan, don't say Doan). Trading Lu for cap space means we'd have to trade another roster player/prospect/pick on top of Lu to upgrade the team. Unless we're getting a real good player in return then we're overpaying to fill Lu's cap space, best MG takes his time and gets a descent return for Lu.

Edited by rawkdrummer, 16 August 2012 - 02:51 PM.

#20 sniper_1

sniper_1

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:17 PM

I agree for sure but just getting rid of a quality number 1 goalie and not getting something that's gunna help us in return is a waste if u ask me. I dont think we have to rush into decisions in the summer.. We can see how our team is actually doing during the season instead of imagining how are team is right now, and then adjust our roster accordingly.

I agree, no need to rush and it doesn't look like the season is going to start on time anyway. Luongo will get traded eventually maybe 10 games into the season when teams flop out of the gate. It's up to Gillis to wait and get value with team distration or not.

Lineups rarely stay the same come playoffs anyway. There are surprise players , the trade deadline etc.

#21 Revanbc

Revanbc

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:38 PM

wrong thread

Edited by Revanbc, 16 August 2012 - 04:54 PM.

[img][url="http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/ptparatroopa/billy.jpg"]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/ptparatroopa/billy.jpg[/url][/img]

#22 EddieVedder

EddieVedder

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:52 PM

Yah because everyone expected teams like Los Angeles and Boston to win the cup at the beginning of the year right?

Edited by EddieVedder, 16 August 2012 - 03:57 PM.

#23 Rounoush

Rounoush

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:24 PM

Any team that makes the playoffs is cup worthy and I'm pretty sure we are making the playoffs. I'm sick of our own fans trying to assert that we are not cup contenders. Quit being so pessimistic and start finally realizing how lucky we are to have the team we have.
Posted Image
Thanks a bunch to khalifawiz501 for the signature.

#24 BombaySeven

BombaySeven

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:29 PM

Any team that makes the playoffs is cup worthy and I'm pretty sure we are making the playoffs. I'm sick of our own fans trying to assert that we are not cup contenders. Quit being so pessimistic and start finally realizing how lucky we are to have the team we have.

^ This is why I started this topic. I honestly think we have a real good set up here as Canucks fans, and it gets almost overwhelming to see how many people bash the team that they cheer for, even when we have a great team!

#25 ABurrows14

ABurrows14

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:39 PM

Dude really? I have been a fan for 35 years and have seen some terrible Canucks teams over that time, all had heart but some terrible teams.

Nowadays, I see all the posts by teenagers, spoiled brats who think just because mommy gave them a medal for coming in last they get what they want, and when they don't they have a temper tantrum, which is pretty much how you are acting. "I want a cup, you suck if you don't get one for me" attitude.

No team in any major sport can win their championship consistently anymore, cap rules, player movement, etc limits that, therefore, all you can ask for is a team that is competitive and has a chance to win.

For the last 4 years the Canucks have been a top 5 favorite to win. For the last 2 years they have been a top 3 favorite and have won the president's trophy, along with a Stanley Cup final appearance.

I am not sure what team you are watching, but if having a team that is considered to be a favorite for the last 4 years isn't enough for you, well go ask mommy for another ribbon kid.

Wake up and quit whining, we have a great shot, and really what it comes down to is our team performing with cohesiveness and effort at the right time, and having some luck, and minimal key injuries. That's how Boston won, that's how LA won. We have enough talent, the key is chemistry and timing and getting on a run, nothing else, there is no magic bullet for this team.

Given our experience, talent, depth that's all it is. Hunger, Heart, Chemistry, Effort, Timing.

Edited by ABurrows14, 16 August 2012 - 06:04 PM.

#26 ABurrows14

ABurrows14

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:45 PM

I agree, no need to rush and it doesn't look like the season is going to start on time anyway. Luongo will get traded eventually maybe 10 games into the season when teams flop out of the gate. It's up to Gillis to wait and get value with team distration or not.

Lineups rarely stay the same come playoffs anyway. There are surprise players , the trade deadline etc.

MG is a smart man. If the bids on your asset aren't high enough, you either say ah whatever and get rid of it if its not of much value, or you be patient if it is, smart businessman.

As you said, once the season starts the dynamics will change significantly. If the Leafs don't get consistent goaltending and maybe they will, but if they don't there will be more pressure on Burke to pull the trigger. If Markstrom doesn't have as terrific as a season, same goes for FLA, then you add in teams with goalies who start poorly and any potential injuries. All of a sudden there is a market. All it takes is one team to up the ante and the other maybe teams start bidding higher...

Right now its a game of chicken but MG has a hand, the other guys don't.

#27 northernnuckfan

northernnuckfan

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:12 PM

Dude really? I have been a fan for 35 years and have seen some terrible Canucks teams over that time, all had heart but some terrible teams.

Now a days, I see all the posts by teenagers, spoiled brats who think just because mommy gave them a medal for coming in last they get what they want, and when they don't they have a temper tantrum, which is pretty much how you are acting. "I want a cup, you suck if you don't get one for me" attitude.

No team in any major sport can win their championship consistently anymore, cap rules, player movement, etc limits that, therefore all you can ask for is a team that is competitive and has a chance to win.

For the last 4 years the Canucks have been a top 5 favorite to win. For the last 2 years they have been a top 3 favorite and have won the president's trophy, along with a Stanley Cup final apearance.

I am not sure what team you are watching but if having a team that is considered to be a favorite for the last 4 years isn't enough for you, well go ask mommy for another ribbon kid.

Wake up and quit whining, we have a great shot, and really what it comes down to is our team performing with cohesiveness and effort at the right time, and having some luck, and minimal key injuries. Thats how Boston won, that's how LA won. We have enough talent, the key is chemistry and timing and getting on a run, nothing else, there is no magic bullet for this team.

Given our experience, talent, depth that's all its. Hunger, Heart, Chemistry, Effort, Timing.

I agree 100%

#28 awalk

awalk

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,781 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:46 PM

Not necessarily true at all. LA wasn't in "great" shape heading into the season last year nor the playoffs in 8th place...neither was Boston the year before that

People always throw around these statements like they know "exactly" what is needed for a cup and that the Canucks don't have it. It's crap. Bottom line is the Canucks have a team that can challenge for the cup and will challenge for the cup. In today's league of parody there's not a lot more that you can ask for. Even having sidney Crosby and evgeni malkin can get you bumped in the first round these days.

#29 danaimo

danaimo

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:18 PM

ABurrows14. Boy its refreshing to read posts from people that remember what it was like when we really did have a team that sucked. Todays version of the Canucks is much better than 5, 10, 15 ,20, 25 years ago. Too many fans talk like spoilt kids and whine and whine and whine.

#30 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:34 PM

Luongo has stated clear as day, he wants out.

Why is that so hard to believe and except!

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.