The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] The Doan Meta-Thread v2.0

My guess is that it is down to PHX or Van. His family is already familiar with BC so the transition would be minimized.

My concern on the deal is if it exceeds $5.5 to $6 mil and extends more than 3 years. Anything more would be a deal breaker.

It is pretty irrelevent anyway as the season appears to be toast. Players probably realize that caving in to the NHL again will kill the NHLPA. The owners already have a successful lockout under their belt and have a clear idea of what they need to have this go around. Don Fehr has no idea what it is like herding cattle at -30F! A hockey job will look pretty good come January.

Well if he wanted to make a decision before the start of school year for his kids its likely he's staying in Phoenix as i believe they've started the school year already. Doan is an afterthought in my mind.. The longer this goes the more and more it seems he's desperate to stay in Phoenix and that's just fine. I want nothing to do with a 4 year deal for this guy as speculated.

Shane Doan expected to sign a contract before September 15:

Free agent forward Shane Doan will sign a new contract before the current collective bargaining agreement expires on September 15th, according to his agent Terry Bross.

Doan’s status remains in limbo as he awaits word from prospective Phoenix Coyotes owner Greg Jamison on the progress of his purchase. It is believed that Doan’s preference is to stay in the desert.

"(Ownership has to) be done before the 15th, otherwise we're signing somewhere because we don't know what the new CBA is going to look like, and I don't know if it's going to limit any scope of a contract, so we want to make sure we sign before then," said Bross.

The Rangers, Penguins and Canucks are believed to be other potential suitors for the right winger.

The 16-year veteran recorded 50 points in 79 regular season games last season while contributing nine points in 16 playoff games as Phoenix won their first post-season series since in 25 years.

http://www.thescore.com/home/articles/325732-shane-doan-expected-to-sign-before-september-15th

I think the point that was made about school already starting in Pheonix and his kid's being in school pretty much settles any debate as to Doan going elsewhere.

Maybe I'm wrong and he goes for term elsewhere but that should have happened by now. IF he signed elsewhere he would have to find a place and enroll his kids somewhere, that window has closed.

I think the point that was made about school already starting in Pheonix and his kid's being in school pretty much settles any debate as to Doan going elsewhere.

Maybe I'm wrong and he goes for term elsewhere but that should have happened by now. IF he signed elsewhere he would have to find a place and enroll his kids somewhere, that window has closed.

Guest BuckFoston

Boy this dude sure knows how to drag things out. It isn't rocket science... sign a damn deal somewhere and move on with it already.

Am I the only one who finds this whole thing ridiculous.

It's almost as if he is using us to get the deal he wants at Phoenix. This has all the hallmarks of a Messier mindfeck to me.

If he wants to come here, fine give him a a window to get it done.

If not, why are we wasting so much time on the guy............it's not like he is some young stud or some balding genius who is coming here for nothing.

The longer this carries on the more desperate WE look. Lets look at players who actually DESIRE to play here.

This will all end in tears. Once more MG will be left holding his dick in his hands and yet another "must have" will have slipped through our fingers.

Personally I'm not bothered, other than the amount of time we seem to have spent on it.

If I was the GM of an elite team like the Canucks I would ask the player/ his agent what he wanted. I would then make an offer and leave it open for 10 days or so.

If the guy is serious he would then try to negotiate at the table and if no agreement was reached ...........fine we walk away and look at someone else.

That way you get a reputation for being decisive AND fair. At present we look like desperate felines who can be messed about without limit.

Is Doan THE ONLY guy who we think will fit our requirements...........surly not.

Like Sammy I would rather take a good player for 1/2 years and then look at who is available then. So let's get Arnott now and press on with some trades.

Doana has been labelled a "must have" by folks on CDC .. when has the Canuck organization labelled him as "must have"? .. fans do NOT establish "must have" players anywhere but in their own deluded imaginations .. some folks will be thrilled if Doana stays in the desert ..

This will all end in tears. Once more MG will be left holding his dick in his hands and yet another "must have" will have slipped through our fingers.

Personally I'm not bothered, other than the amount of time we seem to have spent on it.

If I was the GM of an elite team like the Canucks I would ask the player/ his agent what he wanted. I would then make an offer and leave it open for 10 days or so.

If the guy is serious he would then try to negotiate at the table and if no agreement was reached ...........fine we walk away and look at someone else.

That way you get a reputation for being decisive AND fair. At present we look like desperate felines who can be messed about without limit.

Is Doan THE ONLY guy who we think will fit our requirements...........surly not.

Like Sammy I would rather take a good player for 1/2 years and then look at who is available then. So let's get Arnott now and press on with some trades.

Am I the only one who finds this whole thing ridiculous.

It's almost as if he is using us to get the deal he wants at Phoenix. This has all the hallmarks of a Messier mindfeck to me.

If he wants to come here, fine give him a a window to get it done.

If not, why are we wasting so much time on the guy............it's not like he is some young stud or some balding genius who is coming here for nothing.

The longer this carries on the more desperate WE look. Lets look at players who actually DESIRE to play here.

Archived