The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] The Doan Meta-Thread v2.0

The discussions in Glendale are talking about figuring out the details with Jamison over the next couple of weeks.

I think that puts the nail in the coffin for Doan signing there as there is no way that deal is done in 3 days. Even when Doan said he had a deal in principle, he said he would sign SOMEWHERE by the 15th... not specifically Phoenix.

Here's a complete rundown of everything that was discussed during today's Glendale council meeting:

http://www.azcentral.com/community/glendale/articles/20120912glendale-officials-meet-discuss-possible-sales-tax-reversal-storify.html

The two key points that likely mean the deal won't be done before Saturday are:

Scruggs: Renegotiation "is the only option if we're going to keep them here." #Coyotes

Mobile

:-(

Edit: might as well add something to this post. I just read Botchfords article which was posted on the last page. I have such a hard time getting through his writing. I follow him on twitter and listen when he comes on the radio or tv during canucks broadcasts but holy smokes, this guys writing style just irks me. Its such drivel. He doesn't know how to just get to the point without all the foofy bs metaphors and similes. And rarely does he write about anything your average browse-CDC-once-a-week 13year old doesn't already know.

Sorry for the minirant. Just UGH.

reality is the phoenix situation is not going to work out for the nhl. even if they do get a deal before hockey starts again, it won't last. only a fool would keep them in phoenix, unless he is subsidized by the city, something they say they can't do anymore - and to be honest they shouldn't.

if he does sign with phoenix, expect to see him playing for the seattle coyotes in a couple of years?

So it sounds like the city council is going to play hardball with Jamison. They really don't have a choice now, since they're not likely going to have the money to pay him.

Basically the new deal will be to pay Jamison 7 million dollars a year to run the arena instead of the 17 million they originally agreed upon. They will likely say to him, either take this deal, or you won't have an arena to play in. And they even penciled in 6 million dollars in their budget as a contingency plan to have someone else run the arena if Jamison doesn't accept.

Bottom line is, Jamison will not likely accept 10 million dollars less a year since his deal probably hinges on getting the full amount they originally agreed upon. And it sounds like the city is serious about letting the Coyotes leave if they can't reach an agreement. So this very well could spell the end of the Coyotes in Glendale.

... there is no way Jamison accepts less on the arena deal... that cash is what is going to cover his yearly operating losses. He could barely scrape together the cash to buy the franchise, never mind being able to cover $15-20 million in losses every year even under a new CBA.

I suspect he is out as an owner entirely since any relocation fee would be well above his means.

This could be really ugly and worst case, mean having to mothball the franchise temporarily, they may possibly not be able to operate this coming season and there aren't a lot of last minute options for other cities and arenas. That would mean a dispersal draft and then an expansion draft when they got the franchise going again in another city.

On the plus side, if the rumours are true that Vancouver is the leading contender for Doan (after Phoenix) it looks like we have just done a decent job solidifying our top 6.... and the Luongo move won't be far behind as a domino.

reality is the phoenix situation is not going to work out for the nhl. even if they do get a deal before hockey starts again, it won't last. only a fool would keep them in phoenix, unless he is subsidized by the city, something they say they can't do anymore - and to be honest they shouldn't.

if he does sign with phoenix, expect to see him playing for the seattle coyotes in a couple of years?

I have been putting the Seattle posibility forward for awhile now. Even if that comes to pass it will take two more seasons before PHX is abandoned. Fact remains that Seattle is moving forward to acquire a NBA team and I assume a NHL teams as well. Many big money Seattle people behind this venture. Question would be whether Doan would be happy stretching out his tenure for two more seasons before facing a possible move to Seattle. Not unthinkable.

The economics of the Yotes do not fly even with the tax money of roughly $17 mil per year. My understanding was the Yotes were losing close to $40 mil per season. Another question I rasied was the valuation of the Yotes at $170 mil. How could a franchise losing $40 mil be valued at $170 mil? Bettman even stated part of that price was a recovery of money the NHL had put in PHX. Do we assume that a bankrupt entity includes unpaid liabilities as part of the liquidation value? Laughable. My only conclusion is that a move of the franchise has already been discussed between Jamieson and the NHL. Authorization to move the team should increase the value to Jamieson and make the purchase viable. My conclusion that Seattle is the destination comes from the advanced planning on a new arena for a NBA/NHL venue. The fact that Gretzky was in Seattle and spoke to potential owners and City officials.

Those who think Quebec might get the Yotes were dealt another blow the other day when that province entertained anti-lockout legislation as a roadblock to NHL plans to shut the league down. They made no friends at NHL HQ.

I just can't believe that people are thinking that we need to get rid of Luongo's albatross of a contract yet people seem to want to sign Doan to what would be an even worse contract that will likely cripple the team for years to come. If the Canucks really offered 6 mil per year for 4 years, this is worse than the Messier contract. At BEST you hope to get one or two 60 point years out of Doan. Reality is we will be lucky to get even one.

I can't believe the Canucks are even in on Doan at these numbers as they would be far better served both short and long term to walk away unless they can get him to sign a 2 year deal for less than 6 mil per year.

Archived