Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Discussion] The Doan Meta-Thread v2.0

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1062 replies to this topic

#271 KING ALBERTS

KING ALBERTS

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:59 PM

oh god i hope gillis didnt offer him 2 years 20 million
Posted ImagePosted Image

i fel off the banwagon and hit my hed on a rok

#272 combover

combover

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:06 PM

the owners are insane. telling fans theres going to be a lock out then offers like this and minnies signings earlier this summer just make bettman look more like a clown. salary cap what a joke. wasn't buffalo a team that required profit sharing.
i though salaries where one of the sticking points in the new cba.
a new league is what would fix the insanity cause bettman and the stupid owner have ruined this one.
my warn status is for calling it like i saw it with Dave the donut Nonis. apparently the owners agreed

#273 Mike Versace ESQ

Mike Versace ESQ

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:50 PM

Haven't 3 of these so called deadlines pass already?

He never set any deadlines. Any time he said anything remotely close to one he was stating that he WOULDN'T sign anywhere until after a certain date. That is not a deadline.

Posted ImagePosted Image

FOLLOW @MikeVersace1

#shapcrew #membersonly

credit to CanucksHD for the avatar

#274 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,968 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:39 PM

He never set any deadlines. Any time he said anything remotely close to one he was stating that he WOULDN'T sign anywhere until after a certain date. That is not a deadline.

I see, so has he firm set a deadline this time? Tried Google, didn't see anything.

#275 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,069 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:44 PM

I see, so has he firm set a deadline this time? Tried Google, didn't see anything.

You're best bet is to search up his name on Twitter.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#276 bobopan

bobopan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,532 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:25 PM

Well if he wanted to make a decision before the start of school year for his kids its likely he's staying in Phoenix as i believe they've started the school year already. Doan is an afterthought in my mind.. The longer this goes the more and more it seems he's desperate to stay in Phoenix and that's just fine. I want nothing to do with a 4 year deal for this guy as speculated.

#277 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,219 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:20 PM

Well if he wanted to make a decision before the start of school year for his kids its likely he's staying in Phoenix as i believe they've started the school year already. Doan is an afterthought in my mind.. The longer this goes the more and more it seems he's desperate to stay in Phoenix and that's just fine. I want nothing to do with a 4 year deal for this guy as speculated.

Agree completely .. lets keep the line moving, folks .. NEXT?? .. :)

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#278 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,011 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:11 AM

YES BOB, THE NEXT CONTESTANT ON THE ICE IS RIGHT IS ..... EVANDER KANE!!!!

#279 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:46 AM

I hate the idea of paying massive money for this guy.
Kevin.jpg

#280 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:55 AM

Sources close to the Shane Doan camp say that Phoenix is still his number one priority, regardless of the other offers he has.

https://twitter.com/...325724216446976

Am I the only one who finds this whole thing ridiculous.
It's almost as if he is using us to get the deal he wants at Phoenix. This has all the hallmarks of a Messier mindfeck to me.

If he wants to come here, fine give him a a window to get it done.

If not, why are we wasting so much time on the guy............it's not like he is some young stud or some balding genius who is coming here for nothing.

The longer this carries on the more desperate WE look. Lets look at players who actually DESIRE to play here.
Kevin.jpg

#281 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,586 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:04 AM

Yes he has. But it's not a self imposed deadline. It's a deadline that all RFA and UFA's must sign by or they will be UFA/RFA until the 2013 offseason. With the pending lockout he WILL sign by Sept.15.

New Shane Doan deadline: Before CBA expires and the lockout begins

Last month, Phoenix Coyotes captain Shane Doan was getting his Carmen Sandiego on, traveling around North America and meeting with NHL suitors. (And also the Buffalo Sabres, which was less a meeting than Terry Pegula backing up a dump truck of greenbacks.)
All the while, Doan and his agent have been in contact with Greg Jennings, who is slashing through red tape and bringing investors together to buy and stabilize the Coyotes — which, in theory, would keep Doan there.
Ah, but there's a fly in the ointment, a monkey in the wrench: The CBA expires on Sept. 15, which is when the NHL is expected to lock out the players. The Arizona Republic reports thatDoan and his agent expect to have this future determined by then:

"Shane is going to sign a contract before the CBA expires on the 15th," said Doan's agent, Terry Bross.
"(Ownership has to) be done before the 15th, otherwise we're signing somewhere because we don't know what the new CBA is going to look like, and I don't know if it's going to limit any scope of a contract, so we want to make sure we sign before then.
"I guess from that respect, time is ticking."

The perception around the League is that Doan will remain with the Coyotes. If not, we still think the Vancouver Canucks, Detroit Red Wings and one of the California teams (the San Jose Sharks?) will be the likely destination for Doan. Flirt with the East, settle in the West.

http://sports.yahoo...._medium=twitter

Edited by playboi19, 24 August 2012 - 07:05 AM.

#282 Drive-By Body Pierce

Drive-By Body Pierce

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:00 AM

http://sports.yahoo...._medium=twitter

Greg Jennings?...

[Rumour] Doan close to a deal with the Packers, 20yrs @ 10M/yr.

Great reporting, who needs editors, right?

Edited by STiBlammo, 24 August 2012 - 08:04 AM.

Posted Image

#283 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,062 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:16 AM

My guess is that it is down to PHX or Van. His family is already familiar with BC so the transition would be minimized.

My concern on the deal is if it exceeds $5.5 to $6 mil and extends more than 3 years. Anything more would be a deal breaker.

It is pretty irrelevent anyway as the season appears to be toast. Players probably realize that caving in to the NHL again will kill the NHLPA. The owners already have a successful lockout under their belt and have a clear idea of what they need to have this go around. Don Fehr has no idea what it is like herding cattle at -30F! A hockey job will look pretty good come January.

#284 RO8!!

RO8!!

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:26 AM

This is so Doan talk. :picard:
I want to come into hear to hear actually Doan news.

JG

Then wait until the article comes out on TSN.ca, until then it is all useless speculation.

"Hey this milk is bad. Maybe tomorrow it'll be better."

Canucks NYG Celtics Fan

#285 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,586 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:34 AM

Greg Jennings?...

[Rumour] Doan close to a deal with the Packers, 20yrs @ 10M/yr.

Great reporting, who needs editors, right?

Who?

#286 Drive-By Body Pierce

Drive-By Body Pierce

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:42 AM

Who?

Instead of Greg Jamison, President and CEO of Silicon Valley Sports and Entertainment, the article refers to Greg Jennings, a wide receiver for the Green Bay Packers.

Posted Image

#287 Neufy161

Neufy161

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:57 AM

Doant hate on him... I cant Hanzal the haters. okay?

Gretzky yah later

Edited by Neufy161, 24 August 2012 - 10:57 AM.

Oh hello Alain Vigneault, I see what you did there... good one.

Posted Image

Signature by (>'-')>

#288 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 80,257 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:03 PM

Shane Doan expected to sign a contract before September 15:

Free agent forward Shane Doan will sign a new contract before the current collective bargaining agreement expires on September 15th, according to his agent Terry Bross.

Doan’s status remains in limbo as he awaits word from prospective Phoenix Coyotes owner Greg Jamison on the progress of his purchase. It is believed that Doan’s preference is to stay in the desert.

"(Ownership has to) be done before the 15th, otherwise we're signing somewhere because we don't know what the new CBA is going to look like, and I don't know if it's going to limit any scope of a contract, so we want to make sure we sign before then," said Bross.

The Rangers, Penguins and Canucks are believed to be other potential suitors for the right winger.

The 16-year veteran recorded 50 points in 79 regular season games last season while contributing nine points in 16 playoff games as Phoenix won their first post-season series since in 25 years.

http://www.thescore....-september-15th

307mg00.jpg

#289 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,968 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:07 PM

Yes he has. But it's not a self imposed deadline. It's a deadline that all RFA and UFA's must sign by or they will be UFA/RFA until the 2013 offseason. With the pending lockout he WILL sign by Sept.15.

Thanx.

I was referring to someone saying Sept 1st is Doan's new deadline.

I have no doubt Doan will sign before the CBA expires. That's the only way he's guaranteed to make money next year even if there is no hockey. I expect him to get a $3 to $5 million signing bonus in the first year of his next contract. This way even it there is a lockout Doan gets the signing bonus.

A significant signing bonus would have to be part of any winning bid. No matter the team.

#290 Canuck919191

Canuck919191

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:14 PM

Yay, only 21 more days of this crap.

#291 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,502 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:22 PM

I think the point that was made about school already starting in Pheonix and his kid's being in school pretty much settles any debate as to Doan going elsewhere.

Maybe I'm wrong and he goes for term elsewhere but that should have happened by now. IF he signed elsewhere he would have to find a place and enroll his kids somewhere, that window has closed.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#292 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,968 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:18 PM

I think the point that was made about school already starting in Pheonix and his kid's being in school pretty much settles any debate as to Doan going elsewhere.

Maybe I'm wrong and he goes for term elsewhere but that should have happened by now. IF he signed elsewhere he would have to find a place and enroll his kids somewhere, that window has closed.

Not at all. His kids could transfer school at any given time during the school year. It's not like they are in university or college.

Or maybe his family plans on staying in PHX the whole year no matter where he signs. This may be the reason Doan wants to sign in a city close to PHX. In early July reports were he wants to sign in the west because he wants to remain close to his family.

#293 Guest_BuckFoston_*

Guest_BuckFoston_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:19 PM

Boy this dude sure knows how to drag things out. It isn't rocket science... sign a damn deal somewhere and move on with it already.

#294 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:22 PM

The Canucks will not over pay.

#295 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,978 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:20 PM

It's almost as if he is using us to get the deal he wants at Phoenix. This has all the hallmarks of a Messier mindfeck to me.

If not, why are we wasting so much time on the guy............it's not like he is some young stud or some balding genius who is coming here for nothing.

The longer this carries on the more desperate WE look. Lets look at players who actually DESIRE to play here.

I....I agree with Bodee? WTF?

Keswho.jpg

#296 Mike Versace ESQ

Mike Versace ESQ

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:15 PM

@NHLSourcesSay: If this is news for any... #doan is eaiting for #cototes #canucks will be the ONLY other team he signs with #CONFIRMED

@NHLSourcesSay *waiting

Posted ImagePosted Image

FOLLOW @MikeVersace1

#shapcrew #membersonly

credit to CanucksHD for the avatar

#297 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:17 AM

This will all end in tears. Once more MG will be left holding his dick in his hands and yet another "must have" will have slipped through our fingers.
Personally I'm not bothered, other than the amount of time we seem to have spent on it.

If I was the GM of an elite team like the Canucks I would ask the player/ his agent what he wanted. I would then make an offer and leave it open for 10 days or so.

If the guy is serious he would then try to negotiate at the table and if no agreement was reached ...........fine we walk away and look at someone else.

That way you get a reputation for being decisive AND fair. At present we look like desperate felines who can be messed about without limit.

Is Doan THE ONLY guy who we think will fit our requirements...........surly not.

Like Sammy I would rather take a good player for 1/2 years and then look at who is available then. So let's get Arnott now and press on with some trades.
Kevin.jpg

#298 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,219 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:39 AM

Doana has been labelled a "must have" by folks on CDC .. when has the Canuck organization labelled him as "must have"? .. fans do NOT establish "must have" players anywhere but in their own deluded imaginations .. some folks will be thrilled if Doana stays in the desert ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#299 sampy

sampy

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,123 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:45 AM

This will all end in tears. Once more MG will be left holding his dick in his hands and yet another "must have" will have slipped through our fingers.
Personally I'm not bothered, other than the amount of time we seem to have spent on it.

If I was the GM of an elite team like the Canucks I would ask the player/ his agent what he wanted. I would then make an offer and leave it open for 10 days or so.

If the guy is serious he would then try to negotiate at the table and if no agreement was reached ...........fine we walk away and look at someone else.

That way you get a reputation for being decisive AND fair. At present we look like desperate felines who can be messed about without limit.

Is Doan THE ONLY guy who we think will fit our requirements...........surly not.

Like Sammy I would rather take a good player for 1/2 years and then look at who is available then. So let's get Arnott now and press on with some trades.

And MG wouldn't get any good FA's if he thought like you. A 15 year veteran is not going to take an ultimatum. And YES the Canuck are substantially better with Doan in the lineup. A 37 year old Arnott isn't even close to Doan.
Thank god MG isn't as impatient as the typical bandwagon Canuck fan. How about right after we give Doan the ultimatum we trade Lu for future considerations too because MG hasn't made the trade in your time frame.

#300 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,304 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:46 AM

Posted Image

doesnt seem like a waste of time to me.

maybe the rest of you should go outside and play and let the payed people run the show.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.