1062 replies to this topic

#601 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,331 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:49 PM

Excsue me gents but I'm not sure, am I in the Doan thread?

Good point.

BREAKING NEWS: no new news to report on Doan.

schroedersig2_by_elvis15-d5szksn.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#602 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:08 PM

I want to see a team come to Houston. They have the population, they built an arena that houses 17,800 for hockey, and it is one of the areas in the US that is still booming economically. Plus, the players will love having no state income tax. For some contracts it may save them almost a quarter million or more a year.

if i recall correctly, wasn't the the idea of RIM buying a team and moving them to southern ontario bitched about by the buffalo ownership/faithful because it would have pulled revenue from their coffers? sorry if i'm not fully accurate on this, but if memory serves me correct, i could see dallas crying foul for the same reason.
pity, because as quoted (and i agree), houston is in a positive financial state and has the arena and population to support a club.

Edit: Hamilton. Sorry, should have refreshed my memory first. I can also see how this could be a non-factor with Houston/Dallas as distance would play a role in the infringement rule. Dallas to Houston is approx 387km while Buffalo to Hamilton is a mere 117

Edited by MC Fatigue, 09 September 2012 - 08:18 PM.

" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

#603 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,940 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:14 PM

Excsue me gents but I'm not sure, am I in the Doan thread?

BREAKING NEWS: no new news to report on Doan.

Also, not sure, but the issue of whether a hockey franchise is viable in the long term in markets like Phoenix is probably relevent to the Doan thread, considering his decision whether he stays or signs elsewhere hinges pretty much entirely on that issue.

Otherwise, the thread had gotten slightly offtrack with "personal" stuff anyhow....

#604 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,331 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:27 PM

Also, not sure, but the issue of whether a hockey franchise is viable in the long term in markets like Phoenix is probably relevent to the Doan thread, considering his decision whether he stays or signs elsewhere hinges pretty much entirely on that issue.

Otherwise, the thread had gotten slightly offtrack with "personal" stuff anyhow....

It did get a little more general than just the Phoenix ownership issue, though. There really isn't much to report right now though, at least not for a few days.

schroedersig2_by_elvis15-d5szksn.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#605 Mack Attack

Mack Attack

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:48 AM

Good read by Botchford here: http://www.theprovin...3449/story.html

The Canucks' offer is the same term as Phoenix's 4 year, 21.5M deal, but less money. I'm guessing a 4 yr 20M offer for him? Interesting tidbit. I'd be happy with that.

#606 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,017 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:16 AM

I want to see a team come to Houston. They have the population, they built an arena that houses 17,800 for hockey, and it is one of the areas in the US that is still booming economically. Plus, the players will love having no state income tax. For some contracts it may save them almost a quarter million or more a year.

It's not a terrible idea, although I'd question whether there is enough interest in hockey there.

Something tells me though, if hockey ever ventures back to the southeast, that KC will be first on the docket. However, I don't see too much of an issue with a Dallas-Houston "split". They're almost four hours apart. I can't see too many people from the Dallas/Ft Worth area making that trip just to see the new team in Houston.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#607 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,049 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:22 AM

My long winded review of franchise operations came out of the potential of a Doan signing. If the Yotes wren't viable then any sale meant an ultimate relocation which in turm meant that Doan might sign somewhere else.

#608 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,940 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:05 PM

Good read by Botchford here: http://www.theprovin...3449/story.html

The Canucks' offer is the same term as Phoenix's 4 year, 21.5M deal, but less money. I'm guessing a 4 yr 20M offer for him? Interesting tidbit. I'd be happy with that.

Was hoping to be pleasantly surprised... what? A good read from Botchford.?

Not surprised though.

Typical Botchford unfortunately. Glass empty... An assumption that Doan is all but back in Phoenix for good (Botchford apparently can't keep up with what most CDCers know, that this aint a done deal), Schultz elsewhere (who cares? no ice time guarantees for guys that aren't even a rookie yet), Salo moves on (ironically Botchford has done an about-face on Salo, and argued that Tampa seriously overpaid for him), no Weber (no one pried Weber loose, not even with an offer that included forever and his own moon), Luongo trade the same nowhere place as the Weber courtship (yet "an opportunity to significantly and instantly improve the Canucks, something they still have a chance of accomplishing with the return in the Luongo trade"... hello, anyone can see this is a patently obvious contradiction), and then some nonsense about alleged failed offers for Rick Nash (ppfffttt, will just have take his 'word' on that one - as worthless).

Oh Jamison has the money this time... Botchford heard it on the radio. It's just a matter of waiting for the Glendale approval stamp. Ok, everyone, time to fall off the wagon.

"They are neither younger, deeper on defence..."
Hilarious actually - if anyone can find the words Jason or Garrison in that article, they have better reading skills than I do. Botchford - not one to let reality or a bright spot interfere with his dreary forecasts.

"If you’re into fantasies, Doan did leave a door open a sliver, saying if there’s an issue with the lease agreement he could still sign with another team. Either way, he will have a contract by midnight on Sept. 15.
The Canucks had tabled a similar offer to the Coyotes’, though the money wasn’t as much. They still believe they have the best chance to be Doan’s Plan B. But that Plan B is disappearing faster than those polar bears on Lost."

The closer Sept 15 comes with no lease agreement, the further that fantasy becomes?
If we're into reality, clearly the Province is the wrong place to go.
If we're talking about things that should get lost, bingo.
It is sad however that Polar Bears are getting lost so that pulp like this can be put into (disposable) print.

Edited by oldnews, 10 September 2012 - 03:27 PM.

#609 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:10 PM

Why would you still be whining about schultz, the guy is very overrated. Would I have liked to have him on the Canucks? Yeah. But not because he's the next Paul Coffey, just because he was a free prospect that we could have signed with no risk.

In reality, he's really not any better than Connauton, who will be given a fair chance to make the team this year. And he definitely wasn't going to beat out Tanev for ice-time.

Edited by D-Bo7, 10 September 2012 - 03:10 PM.

#610 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,940 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:31 PM

Why would you still be whining about schultz, the guy is very overrated. Would I have liked to have him on the Canucks? Yeah. But not because he's the next Paul Coffey, just because he was a free prospect that we could have signed with no risk.

In reality, he's really not any better than Connauton, who will be given a fair chance to make the team this year. And he definitely wasn't going to beat out Tanev for ice-time.

He's whining about Schultz because whining is what whiners do. The subject doesn't matter, the object remains the same.
So disappointing - Schultz was the next rookie saviour upon whom all Cup hopes hinged...

#611 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:32 PM

Last page

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#612 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,175 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:12 PM

http://www.azcentral...s-tax-hike.html

Interim City Manager Horatio Skeete has asked the Glendale City Council to gather for a public workshop this week to discuss what should be done if the 0.7 percentage-point sales-tax increase is repealed. The council is set to meet 1:30 p.m. Wednesday.

Jamison recently said he had the money necessary to buy the team and is waiting on the city to sign the deal so he can move forward with his purchase. The NHL Board of Governors, made up of owners and executives, is set to meet later this week and could vote on Jamison's bid for the team.

That's going to be pretty tight considering Doans deadline is Sat.

Edited by RunningWild, 10 September 2012 - 05:15 PM.

#613 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:44 PM

http://www.azcentral...s-tax-hike.html

That's going to be pretty tight considering Doans deadline is Sat.

Oh so the board of governor's still have to vote on it? I thought the sale was all but approved.

Hmm, I wonder if some of the owners will even want to approve it considering how much Jamison has struggled just to get the money together to purchase the team. Do they really want to go another season where they know they're going to have to pay for the Coyotes 20+ mil in losses?

Something tells me not all of the owners are on the same page when it comes to this.

Edited by D-Bo7, 10 September 2012 - 05:49 PM.

#614 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,940 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:47 PM

Last page

not much of a post, but your sig is definitely worth a +1.

#615 Luongo

Luongo

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:51 AM

You are going to be disappointed in Connauton. Big shot, but questionable hockey vision and IQ. Decent but unimpressive breakout pass. Still a work in progress in the defensive zone, though from what I've heard, his coverage has gotten better.

Schultz is a blue chip prospect. That doesn't mean that he'll work out, but Connauton is not even close to his level. If thinks work out for Connauton, his upside is a bigger Marc-Andre Bergeron.

#616 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,940 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:39 AM

You are going to be disappointed in Connauton. Big shot, but questionable hockey vision and IQ. Decent but unimpressive breakout pass. Still a work in progress in the defensive zone, though from what I've heard, his coverage has gotten better.

Schultz is a blue chip prospect. That doesn't mean that he'll work out, but Connauton is not even close to his level. If thinks work out for Connauton, his upside is a bigger Marc-Andre Bergeron.

The most disappointing thing about Connauton would be if he demands ice-time in order to sign and wound up being a $3.775 million cap hit as a rookie. Don't really see that happening.

As for your assessment of him - your claim that he has a lack of vision, IQ, and a weak breakout pass doesn't really rhyme with what most people are saying about him. If his shot alone got him into the all-star game, he must have one hell of a shot.

Here's HF's analysis -
"Talent Analysis

Connauton's bread and butter is on the power play. Connauton uses his hard shot with great effectiveness. Of some concern is the fact that this total accounts for almost 70 percent of his overall production.

He is not an overly physical player but can still play the body when needed. His best assets are his ability to make plays from the blue line and his patience and poise while in possession of the puck. Connauton has a smooth stride and good foot speed."

If his best asset isn't his shot, but his play-making ability, poise and patience, I doubt many of us will be that disappointed...

Anyway - Garrison was a much better signing than Schultz - not a $3.775 million college question mark, but has more than earned his ice-time and cap hit - and a much bigger, two-way blueliner... and Tanev at 900k vs a not-yet-a-rookie at more than 4x that is also a no-brainer. "Blue-chip" whatever - don't care. Earn it.

Edited by oldnews, 11 September 2012 - 10:46 AM.

#617 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,360 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:13 PM

Was hoping to be pleasantly surprised... what? A good read from Botchford.?

Not surprised though.

::D LOL

At least he's got the right name as he's botched another one. Article is so full of fail it isn't funny. I like how you word it, apparently he doesn't have the basic knowledge that CDC has ... hilarious but true.
There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#618 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,360 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:18 PM

Let me remind you of a player in Toronto named Bozak, that's the last "Blue Chipper" that was supposed to the best player not playing in the NHL. Personally I think anyone banking on Schultz is going to be extremely dissapointed. You could say the same for Tanev but you have to remember he is playing in an excellent situation in Van that's been taylor made to his development. Don't know if Tanev makes most other NHL rosters.

Edited by Dogbyte, 11 September 2012 - 12:18 PM.

There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#619 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:19 PM

No, sorry you don't know what your talking about. You can't quarterback a powerplay without good hockey IQ and vision, and that's exactly what Connauton does.

And it's the same thing Schultz was so highly sought after for. You think teams were after him for his defensive prowess? Think again. His number one asset is the ability to run a powerplay, just like Connauton. He's got the same defensive deficiencies too. Not to mention Shultz is soft as a tissue; whereas Connauton has a nasty side and is able to throw the body.

He put up the same amount of points in college at the same age as Schultz, and then went on to lead the WHL in points for a defenseman, and set a Giants record. Plus he has had two years to work on his defensvie game and physical play in the AHL.

Schultz on the other hand has played 3 years at the college level, and while his numbers are impressive, the college level is not anywhere near the NHL level. At least Connauton has been able to get the best of all worlds, playing college, junior, and two years of pro before entering the NHL. He'll be a much more rounded player; whereas Schultz will likely struggle with the speed and physicality of the NHL game.

I think people are thinking of the old Connauton when he first arrived with the Moose. He's a way more rounded player now. Amazing skating ability and stick handling too.

Edited by D-Bo7, 11 September 2012 - 12:28 PM.

#620 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:24 PM

Let me remind you of a player in Toronto named Bozak, that's the last "Blue Chipper" that was supposed to the best player not playing in the NHL. Personally I think anyone banking on Schultz is going to be extremely dissapointed. You could say the same for Tanev but you have to remember he is playing in an excellent situation in Van that's been taylor made to his development. Don't know if Tanev makes most other NHL rosters.

The number one thing that's going to hurt Schultz is the pressure of having to be that number 1 guy right away. Maybe Edmonton will be a little more patient than Toronto when it comes to bringing up young players, but it will still be tough.

He's physically not ready to play at the NHL level, and is going to get thrown around by bigger tougher forwards.

Just look at what happened to Matt Gilroy who was in a similar situation a few years ago. The pressure obviously got to him.

Edited by D-Bo7, 11 September 2012 - 12:27 PM.

#621 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,049 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:25 PM

Just announced today that the Seattle City council has agreed to the concept of a + $400 million dollar sports arena to house NBA and NHL franchises. Personal guarantee of the biggest investor made and the other investors are the whose who of Seattle. On the city's approval the investors are now looking for an NBA franchise and I assume a NHL franchise.

The connection to this thread is the ultimate destination of the PHX Yotes and thusly Shane Doan. I have been sayin for some time that I thought the Yotes were headed to Seattle. `It makes to much sense to be otherwise. If true it means the Yotes might play in PHX for another two years max. Doan might be a loyal soldier but does he sacrifice his shot at a CUP by staying in PHX for another 2 years? Think not.

#622 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,940 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:59 PM

No, sorry you don't know what your talking about. You can't quarterback a powerplay without good hockey IQ and vision, and that's exactly what Connauton does.

And it's the same thing Schultz was so highly sought after for. You think teams were after him for his defensive prowess? Think again. His number one asset is the ability to run a powerplay, just like Connauton. He's got the same defensive deficiencies too. Not to mention Shultz is soft as a tissue; whereas Connauton has a nasty side and is able to throw the body.

He put up the same amount of points in college at the same age as Schultz, and then went on to lead the WHL in points for a defenseman, and set a Giants record. Plus he has had two years to work on his defensvie game and physical play in the AHL.

Schultz on the other hand has played 3 years at the college level, and while his numbers are impressive, the college level is not anywhere near the NHL level. At least Connauton has been able to get the best of all worlds, playing college, junior, and two years of pro before entering the NHL. He'll be a much more rounded player; whereas Schultz will likely struggle with the speed and physicality of the NHL game.

I think people are thinking of the old Connauton when he first arrived with the Moose. He's a way more rounded player now. Amazing skating ability and stick handling too.

Last year at the trade deadline the Wolves' GM Wendell Young said that he was pleased to be included in the Canucks' deadline process and was given a virtual veto power with respect to Wolves players that might be on the board/included in deals - no doubt Connauton was one of the guys he was insisting should not be let go. In the clip you posted I was also really impressed with was his first couple steps - when the other team has turned the puck over and the Wolves were breaking out, he looks like he has superb acceleration - to go with his puck moving and handling, and his shot. He also appears to move well without the puck, creating space on the powerplay and has some finish when he's not simply blasting away at the point ... He's only 22, is decent size (6'2" 198lb) and the fact he and Tanev played together, and likewise is considered to have poise and patience, bodes well - the two of them could make a good pairing in the future.
What are we supposed to be disappointed about again?

#623 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,940 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:16 PM

Just announced today that the Seattle City council has agreed to the concept of a + $400 million dollar sports arena to house NBA and NHL franchises. Personal guarantee of the biggest investor made and the other investors are the whose who of Seattle. On the city's approval the investors are now looking for an NBA franchise and I assume a NHL franchise.

The connection to this thread is the ultimate destination of the PHX Yotes and thusly Shane Doan. I have been sayin for some time that I thought the Yotes were headed to Seattle. `It makes to much sense to be otherwise. If true it means the Yotes might play in PHX for another two years max. Doan might be a loyal soldier but does he sacrifice his shot at a CUP by staying in PHX for another 2 years? Think not.

I lost a lot of interest in the NBA when Seattle lost the Supersonics. How a team that had players like Xavier McDaniel, Tom Chambers, Shawn Kemp, Gary Payton, Jesus Shuttlesworth, Rashard Lewis, and Kevin Durant - in such a great market - could be moved annoyed me to no end. I chalked it up to the whole build-a-new-arena-or-else-blackmail, which was really about ownership wanting and contriving an excuse to move the team.

Anyway, blah, blah - what I wanted to say was that the timing of Seattle's announcement is interesting/coincidental, and I hope you're right - I'd love to see the Sonics back, and a new Northwest rival (not to mention a team that could cut down the Canucks travel schedule a little).

#624 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,175 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:55 PM

Raise your hand if you're shocked.

David Pagnotta@TheFourthPeriod

Some difficulties in Coyotes sale might prevent deal from happening by Sept 15, which could then result in Doan signing elsewhere.

#625 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,906 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:58 PM

David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod

Hand = Raised

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#626 El_Capitan

El_Capitan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,591 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:33 PM

*hand barely raised while wearing a sh!t eating grin*

Posted Image

#627 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,940 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:02 PM

Someone should let Botchford know before he writes his next obituary.

Edited by oldnews, 11 September 2012 - 10:02 PM.

#628 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:02 PM

hmm, quoted myself. cool.

hand not raised but busy with other activities...
" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

#629 djsandwiches

djsandwiches

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:06 PM

take a mulligan dude
Cheers and salutations folks!
I play rough and have an opinion. Let us play with thoughts and words, and not get our sticks up beyond this binary forum. If you can play you can play is trending out on the West Siiiiiieeeeeeed of Canada. Come in peace but prepare to battle and debate. So shut up and stop wasting time reading my every word of my signature....cuz I just won the face-off while you got trapped into my lyrical vortex of fun fluffy fun von deutsch funland. Tag you are it....trade you Lu for Bolland and a prospect plus a 1st.

#630 Tyler83

Tyler83

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:24 PM

The Mayor John Hoven@mayorNHL
With #Coyotes likely out of the picture, where will Shane Doan sign in the next few days? Odds, in order: #Canucks, #SJSharks, #LAKings, NYR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.