#631 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,916 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:27 PM

The Mayor John Hoven ‏@mayorNHL
With #Coyotes likely out of the picture, where will Shane Doan sign in the next few days? Odds, in order: #Canucks, #SJSharks, #LAKings, NYR

Didn't Doan already tell LA and San Jose he wasn't going to sign with them?

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#632 Tyler83

Tyler83

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:28 PM

Sarah McLellan@azc_mclellan
If no owner, that seems to be case MT @TheGoogooboo @azc_mclellan Since unlikely Yotes ownership settled this week, Doan's final Yote days?

#633 Hunter Shinkaruk #9

Hunter Shinkaruk #9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:44 PM

Its coming down to the wire.

I'll raise my hand, but I won't hold my breath.
Posted Image
Credit to the incomparable, -Vintage Canuck-. Thank you, sir!

#634 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,750 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:45 PM

Huzzah!

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

Posted Image
2 0 14 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#635 Hunter Shinkaruk #9

Hunter Shinkaruk #9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:23 AM

Didn't Doan already tell LA and San Jose he wasn't going to sign with them?

True. But also because he wants to stay out West and those are teams that are close to Phoenix perhaps.
Posted Image
Credit to the incomparable, -Vintage Canuck-. Thank you, sir!

#636 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:40 AM

Still hopeful, though as always it is a long shot.

I have absolutely no issue with signing the guy for anything under a $5.5 million dollar hit. It means we move Luongo for less of a return, but I suspect there is a tentative deal in place with Florida to complete it pending a Doan decision.

I would bet that if we sign Doan it means that one of our other "tweener" guys is moved to Florida as a sweetener for the Bjugstad deal. So we will see one of Raymond, Higgins, or Hansen in a Panthers uniform next season.

Edited by Provost, 12 September 2012 - 12:43 AM.

Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#637 Hobbes!!!

Hobbes!!!

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,986 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:53 AM

Mobile

:-(

Edit: might as well add something to this post. I just read Botchfords article which was posted on the last page. I have such a hard time getting through his writing. I follow him on twitter and listen when he comes on the radio or tv during canucks broadcasts but holy smokes, this guys writing style just irks me. Its such drivel. He doesn't know how to just get to the point without all the foofy bs metaphors and similes. And rarely does he write about anything your average browse-CDC-once-a-week 13year old doesn't already know.
Sorry for the minirant. Just UGH.

Edited by Hobbes!!!, 12 September 2012 - 01:06 AM.

#638 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,867 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:11 AM

Still hopeful, though as always it is a long shot.

I have absolutely no issue with signing the guy for anything under a $5.5 million dollar hit. It means we move Luongo for less of a return, but I suspect there is a tentative deal in place with Florida to complete it pending a Doan decision.

I would bet that if we sign Doan it means that one of our other "tweener" guys is moved to Florida as a sweetener for the Bjugstad deal. So we will see one of Raymond, Higgins, or Hansen in a Panthers uniform next season.

I`d even do $6-$6.5 if it`s ONLY TWO YEARS MAX. Four years better be a lot closer to that $5.5.

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

jg4428.jpg2s9up7p.jpg

#639 niklas

niklas

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:12 AM

Come on Doan. I predict a Doan to Vancouver signing on Friday ;o

#640 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:42 AM

hope so!

however, i bet he will just stay with phoenix. roll out of bed on the right side doan!

#641 knuck

knuck

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:20 AM

Jason Botchford@botchford

Canucks working to sign Alex and Alex to extensions before Sept. 15. Also believe theyre still in on Shane doan

#642 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,175 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:43 PM

@LisaHalverstadt is a great person to follow for Yotes info. Some of her latest:

Scruggs: Renegotiation "is the only option if we're going to keep them here." #Coyotes

Skeete: If I can't renegotiate a deal with Jamison, I cannot present a situation where I can recommend keeping the #Coyotes.

Skeete: Nothing is finalized with Jamison yet. "These are things that will be negotiated over the next couple of weeks." #Coyotes

Skeete on #Coyotes deal negotiations with Jamison: "The fact that we continue to talk gives me hope that we can come to an understanding of the city's position, the city's requirement for us to be successful in signing the deal. If we cannot get to that place, I will let you know as soon as possible."

Edited by RunningWild, 12 September 2012 - 05:03 PM.

#643 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:57 PM

The discussions in Glendale are talking about figuring out the details with Jamison over the next couple of weeks.

I think that puts the nail in the coffin for Doan signing there as there is no way that deal is done in 3 days. Even when Doan said he had a deal in principle, he said he would sign SOMEWHERE by the 15th... not specifically Phoenix.

#644 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:25 PM

Here's a complete rundown of everything that was discussed during today's Glendale council meeting:

http://www.azcentral...al-storify.html

The two key points that likely mean the deal won't be done before Saturday are:

Scruggs: Renegotiation "is the only option if we're going to keep them here." #Coyotes

Lieberman cites @globeandmail story that cited source saying Jamison is unwilling to change #Coyotes deal.

#645 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:45 PM

Mobile

:-(

Edit: might as well add something to this post. I just read Botchfords article which was posted on the last page. I have such a hard time getting through his writing. I follow him on twitter and listen when he comes on the radio or tv during canucks broadcasts but holy smokes, this guys writing style just irks me. Its such drivel. He doesn't know how to just get to the point without all the foofy bs metaphors and similes. And rarely does he write about anything your average browse-CDC-once-a-week 13year old doesn't already know.
Sorry for the minirant. Just UGH.

Agree. I think he gets paid by the word. <_<

#646 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:47 PM

Now the only question is, is Doan serious when he says he'll sign before the CBA expires.

#647 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:02 PM

reality is the phoenix situation is not going to work out for the nhl. even if they do get a deal before hockey starts again, it won't last. only a fool would keep them in phoenix, unless he is subsidized by the city, something they say they can't do anymore - and to be honest they shouldn't.

if he does sign with phoenix, expect to see him playing for the seattle coyotes in a couple of years?

#648 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,341 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:11 PM

Now the only question is, is Doan serious when he says he'll sign before the CBA expires.

If he wants to get paid with the signing bonus he'd likely get, then he'll want to stick with that. He won't be signing any deals until a new CBA is reached otherwise, and even then probably long enough after for all the capologists to figure out the ins and outs to get the details pinned down. He'd be risking losing out on a fair amount of money by waiting past the 15th.

Edited by elvis15, 12 September 2012 - 09:12 PM.

schroedersig2_by_elvis15-d5szksn.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#649 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:43 AM

So it sounds like the city council is going to play hardball with Jamison. They really don't have a choice now, since they're not likely going to have the money to pay him.

Basically the new deal will be to pay Jamison 7 million dollars a year to run the arena instead of the 17 million they originally agreed upon. They will likely say to him, either take this deal, or you won't have an arena to play in. And they even penciled in 6 million dollars in their budget as a contingency plan to have someone else run the arena if Jamison doesn't accept.

Bottom line is, Jamison will not likely accept 10 million dollars less a year since his deal probably hinges on getting the full amount they originally agreed upon. And it sounds like the city is serious about letting the Coyotes leave if they can't reach an agreement. So this very well could spell the end of the Coyotes in Glendale.

#650 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:22 AM

... there is no way Jamison accepts less on the arena deal... that cash is what is going to cover his yearly operating losses. He could barely scrape together the cash to buy the franchise, never mind being able to cover $15-20 million in losses every year even under a new CBA.

I suspect he is out as an owner entirely since any relocation fee would be well above his means.

This could be really ugly and worst case, mean having to mothball the franchise temporarily, they may possibly not be able to operate this coming season and there aren't a lot of last minute options for other cities and arenas. That would mean a dispersal draft and then an expansion draft when they got the franchise going again in another city.

On the plus side, if the rumours are true that Vancouver is the leading contender for Doan (after Phoenix) it looks like we have just done a decent job solidifying our top 6.... and the Luongo move won't be far behind as a domino.

#651 Mayray2112

Mayray2112

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:28 AM

I have a feeling that Doan will be a Canuck. Don't think PHX will be resolved by the 15th and Doan said he will sign somewhere before the 15th.

I'm feeling like 99% positive he'll be a Canuck

#652 Mack Attack

Mack Attack

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:35 AM

I have a feeling that Doan will be a Canuck. Don't think PHX will be resolved by the 15th and Doan said he will sign somewhere before the 15th.

I'm feeling like 99% positive he'll be a Canuck

I think there's a chance he'll stay in Phoenix regardless of ownership. But I do think if he leaves he'll come here.

#653 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,357 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:57 AM

This whole scenario reminds me SO much of the old Gong Show .. where is Chuck Barris when you need him?? .. oh wait .. does not Bettman bear a striking resemblance? (wish I knew how to insert pictures) .. :rolleyes:

Edited by Tearloch7, 13 September 2012 - 09:44 AM.

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#654 Mayray2112

Mayray2112

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:46 AM

I think there's a chance he'll stay in Phoenix regardless of ownership. But I do think if he leaves he'll come here.

Thought he said something along the lines of "I will sign a contract before midnight on the 15th" and PHX won't be able to confirm they will stay there longterm by then

#655 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,304 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:20 AM

Man I hope Doan has a 75 minute "Decision" TV special !
Posted Image

#656 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,055 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:32 AM

reality is the phoenix situation is not going to work out for the nhl. even if they do get a deal before hockey starts again, it won't last. only a fool would keep them in phoenix, unless he is subsidized by the city, something they say they can't do anymore - and to be honest they shouldn't.

if he does sign with phoenix, expect to see him playing for the seattle coyotes in a couple of years?

I have been putting the Seattle posibility forward for awhile now. Even if that comes to pass it will take two more seasons before PHX is abandoned. Fact remains that Seattle is moving forward to acquire a NBA team and I assume a NHL teams as well. Many big money Seattle people behind this venture. Question would be whether Doan would be happy stretching out his tenure for two more seasons before facing a possible move to Seattle. Not unthinkable.

The economics of the Yotes do not fly even with the tax money of roughly $17 mil per year. My understanding was the Yotes were losing close to $40 mil per season. Another question I rasied was the valuation of the Yotes at $170 mil. How could a franchise losing $40 mil be valued at $170 mil? Bettman even stated part of that price was a recovery of money the NHL had put in PHX. Do we assume that a bankrupt entity includes unpaid liabilities as part of the liquidation value? Laughable. My only conclusion is that a move of the franchise has already been discussed between Jamieson and the NHL. Authorization to move the team should increase the value to Jamieson and make the purchase viable. My conclusion that Seattle is the destination comes from the advanced planning on a new arena for a NBA/NHL venue. The fact that Gretzky was in Seattle and spoke to potential owners and City officials.

Those who think Quebec might get the Yotes were dealt another blow the other day when that province entertained anti-lockout legislation as a roadblock to NHL plans to shut the league down. They made no friends at NHL HQ.

#657 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,867 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:09 AM

I have been putting the Seattle posibility forward for awhile now. Even if that comes to pass it will take two more seasons before PHX is abandoned. Fact remains that Seattle is moving forward to acquire a NBA team and I assume a NHL teams as well. Many big money Seattle people behind this venture. Question would be whether Doan would be happy stretching out his tenure for two more seasons before facing a possible move to Seattle. Not unthinkable.

The economics of the Yotes do not fly even with the tax money of roughly $17 mil per year. My understanding was the Yotes were losing close to $40 mil per season. Another question I rasied was the valuation of the Yotes at $170 mil. How could a franchise losing $40 mil be valued at $170 mil? Bettman even stated part of that price was a recovery of money the NHL had put in PHX. Do we assume that a bankrupt entity includes unpaid liabilities as part of the liquidation value? Laughable. My only conclusion is that a move of the franchise has already been discussed between Jamieson and the NHL. Authorization to move the team should increase the value to Jamieson and make the purchase viable. My conclusion that Seattle is the destination comes from the advanced planning on a new arena for a NBA/NHL venue. The fact that Gretzky was in Seattle and spoke to potential owners and City officials.

Those who think Quebec might get the Yotes were dealt another blow the other day when that province entertained anti-lockout legislation as a roadblock to NHL plans to shut the league down. They made no friends at NHL HQ.

The NHL could also approve temporary use of say Key Arena (~15,000 capacity) for a couple years while new arena gets built. The Coyotes only averaged ~12,000 attendance last year...so that's already an (allowable) improvement...

Also allows the team to get a head start on building a fan base.

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

jg4428.jpg2s9up7p.jpg

#658 Mack Attack

Mack Attack

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:28 PM

Thought he said something along the lines of "I will sign a contract before midnight on the 15th" and PHX won't be able to confirm they will stay there longterm by then

Yeah, he's also said a lot of things this summer.

I have a bad feeling he's either going to extend his deadline or just sign there anyways. But I hope I'm wrong.

#659 Big Time

Big Time

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:49 PM

I just can't believe that people are thinking that we need to get rid of Luongo's albatross of a contract yet people seem to want to sign Doan to what would be an even worse contract that will likely cripple the team for years to come. If the Canucks really offered 6 mil per year for 4 years, this is worse than the Messier contract. At BEST you hope to get one or two 60 point years out of Doan. Reality is we will be lucky to get even one.

I can't believe the Canucks are even in on Doan at these numbers as they would be far better served both short and long term to walk away unless they can get him to sign a 2 year deal for less than 6 mil per year.

#660 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:03 PM

Lp
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.