The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] The Doan Meta-Thread v2.0

We all know the only way the Phoenix debacle ever ends is when Bettman wakes up and moves the team from Phoenix. Having an owner who struggles to raise the capital required to purchase the team along with a shady deal with a city council that will likely change this fall will not end in a secure stable franchise in Phoenix. With that said I totally understand Doan's willingness to give the Coyotes a chance to fix their problems as he has made it clear he wants to stay.

We all know the only way the Phoenix debacle ever ends is when Bettman wakes up and moves the team from Phoenix. Having an owner who struggles to raise the capital required to purchase the team along with a shady deal with a city council that will likely change this fall will not end in a secure stable franchise in Phoenix. With that said I totally understand Doan's willingness to give the Coyotes a chance to fix their problems as he has made it clear he wants to stay.

If his goal was to re sign with The coyotes all this time, he should have said so, and just not waste other teams time. Useless. I will be happy with him, I will equally be as happy without him. We have guys capable of playing in the top 6 anyways. We have Burrows, we also have 4 time 20 goal Scorer Higgins, Mason Raymond, Up and coming Kassian, and David Booth who was producing at a top 6 pace until he got injured against Colorado.

So here's the recap of the interview (more detail/transcript at the link):

The telling points:

- Doan says a deal between him and the Coyotes is done. All that he's waiting on to put pen to paper is Greg Jamison acquiring the team.

- Doan confirms what's been speculated for awhile now, that Jamison has secured the money to purchase the Coyotes and the money is waiting in escrow.

- The list of teams Doan would consider joining if a deal with the Coyotes can't be worked out is down to two or three clubs.

-Doan was told ownership had a really good chance of being done June 20-21. (That would likely enabled him to completely bypass the free agency period.)

- Doan is still optimistic ownership will get settled in time for him to remain a Coyote.

If Shane Doan wants to gamble on a deal that keeps him in PHX then that is fine with me. I have been a booster ever since he gained FA to come to Van but his ties to PHX seem to be solid. I have also thought something bigger was afoot as the economics does not make sense but a move to Seattle would if a new complex went in to house the hockey team and a NBA franchise. Perhaps Doan is aware of that potential and doesn't see a serious downside especially if an outside chance of staying in PHX for another two years while the new complex is built exists.

Gillis restated his commitment to the salary structure within the Canucks which meant an expensive contract for Doan was not in the cards anyway. Doan's attraction to the Canucks was a real shot at a CUP in the next 2 years not 4. If a lockout kills this season a Doan contract becomes less valuable.

Archived