1062 replies to this topic

#721 Dave Bolland

Dave Bolland

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,274 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:24 PM

Not very excited to sign a soon to be 36 year old to a possibly big contract. By the time next year, he'll be 37 at the start of the season, is he really going to be a 50 point player at that time still? Sorry, but I have my doubts. Doan plays a hard, grinding game, and quite frankly I don't see him playing like that at 37 years old. By this time, Jensen/Schroeder/Kassian could very well be a top 6 calibre player and with that being said, Doan is a high paid 3rd liner.

I'm scared we may have a contract we're going to regret, have the cap possibly go down in the new CBA, and have to try and fit Edler/Burrows under it too.

Edited by Dave Bolland, 13 September 2012 - 11:25 PM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#722 RonnieColeman

RonnieColeman

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:26 PM

and how many times have his predictions failed?

probability dictates you will land a few, this apparently equates to credibility?

If I throw 500 darts at a dart board with my eyes closed, one is bound to hit the board.

My argument isn't ridiculous, it just seems that way because I'm mocking you. This kid sits there, write's the most general spew that's already been all over the news and calls it "Breaking News" where in reality its just a summary of recent events. He then makes predictions which are always wrong, but when he lands one, suckers people like you into thinking he's credible.

Its a damn game to build web traffic to his site.
you're a fool to believe it.

end of story.

And youre a complete and utter fool to write an entire post without having even checked out his rumors. Having followed him more closely for the past couple months, I'd say he's gotten more stuff right than he's gotten wrong, with great accuracy in details, not general stuff either, more than mere probability it seems. You're writing a post about something you haven't followed closely at all, and continue to push your closed-mindedness. I could give two craps about "web traffic", his web traffic doesn't affect me in any way whatsoever, what I do care about is rumors and credibility, and he's displayed both in great quantity since ive started paying more attention to him. End of story? Give me a break, you're getting butt hurt over a discussion board, we wouldn't have anything to discuss if it weren't for rumors.

#723 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:34 PM

i want to be optimistic, but i can't
Posted Image

#724 Strombone1

Strombone1

GDT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:42 PM

jeeez why does everything have to turn into personal attacks on this board?

Player of the Game - Wall of Fame
2013-14 GDT Registrations
Canucks Game Prediction Challenge

#725 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,889 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:54 PM

I have feeling he wont sign here. Sorry guys. If he wanted to sign here, why the hell wil he wait til the last minute? Not a chance. He's going to finish his career as a Coyote. We have guys capable of stepping up into the 2nd lind spot. Booth, Raymond, Higgins, are all capable fo putting up ok numbers in the top 6.
November 20th 2013, Canucks just lost their 5th straight game. Last time this happened the Canucks, they missed the playoffs.

#726 Pears

Pears

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,827 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:08 AM

I have feeling he wont sign here. Sorry guys. If he wanted to sign here, why the hell wil he wait til the last minute? Not a chance. He's going to finish his career as a Coyote. We have guys capable of stepping up into the 2nd lind spot. Booth, Raymond, Higgins, are all capable fo putting up ok numbers in the top 6.

Doan gave the Coyotes every chance possible to re-sign him and the organization still hasn't gotten their situation sorted out. Hence Doan leaving it to the last second.
Posted Image

Credit to (>'-')> for the amazing sig!!

#727 Mack Attack

Mack Attack

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:11 AM

Not very excited to sign a soon to be 36 year old to a possibly big contract. By the time next year, he'll be 37 at the start of the season, is he really going to be a 50 point player at that time still? Sorry, but I have my doubts. Doan plays a hard, grinding game, and quite frankly I don't see him playing like that at 37 years old. By this time, Jensen/Schroeder/Kassian could very well be a top 6 calibre player and with that being said, Doan is a high paid 3rd liner.

I'm scared we may have a contract we're going to regret, have the cap possibly go down in the new CBA, and have to try and fit Edler/Burrows under it too.

What if we win the cup this year? Does your opinion change?

We won't win without adding a top 6 forward. They don't exactly grow on trees. If not Doan then who?

Edited by Mack Attack, 14 September 2012 - 12:15 AM.

#728 Islandboss

Islandboss

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:29 AM

Don't think Doan will sign anywhere till the new CBA is done.If there's a lockout he will leave his options open in case Yotes get it's sale together later in the year before the season starts.
A statistician is a person who draws a mathematically precise line from an unwarranted assumption to a foregone conclusion.

Kelly is a great gal

#729 The Kassassin Train

The Kassassin Train

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,060 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:30 AM

CDC is so full of negativity. The Canucks can never win you guys over. This team and organization can do NO right.

The key difference is that Sopel can fill in for Seabrook and Campbell just fine. Bieksa, he is garbage so in that sense he is like the worst defenseman in the league.

When Cody (Hodgson) gets older, he might be better than Datsyuk.

Let's not push this guy (Kassian). He's still immature, and if he fails on the 2nd line it's because he isn't ready. Some guys really need years to develop, it's how well and how fast players adapt to the game. In my opinion, I'd rather have Horvat getting 2nd line minutes. He will start off on the 3rd line next season but I see him making the transition, being a great compliment to whoever plays his wings.

At this point, I don't see Kassian fitting in to any role other than a 3rd. If players like Kassian start getting 2nd line minutes then we just stay inconsistent as a team.

The idiocy on CDC....

#730 brewdog

brewdog

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:40 AM

I'm still confused... what does Doan gain by signing a contract before the currect CBA expires? It seems highly unlikely that anyone is offering 5+ years, so an upcoming capped term wouldn't matter. The Coyotes aren't relocating for the 12/13 season, so it's not like he couldn't sign a 1-year deal while giving the owners another year to work things out. The Buffalo offer is floating out there, so it doesn't seem to be about money.

It's not about term, it's not about money. and it seems like there's at least another year of hockey in Phoenix, so it's not yet about location. Even if we lose a year of hockey, I think his value would still be near to what it is right now.

Makes me wonder if Vancouver has said they will retract the offer once the current CBA expires.

#731 N4ZZY

N4ZZY

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:43 AM

I think the Canucks have a very high chance of signing Doan to a contract tomorrow. The Coyotes aren't in a very stable position right now, and I can't see Doan staying there as much as he and his family loves it there.

my prediction - Doan signs with the Canucks tomorrow!

here's to hoping!

#19 up to the rafters of GM Place!!

#732 Colorfulvisuals

Colorfulvisuals

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:47 AM

I'm still confused... what does Doan gain by signing a contract before the currect CBA expires? It seems highly unlikely that anyone is offering 5+ years, so an upcoming capped term wouldn't matter. The Coyotes aren't relocating for the 12/13 season, so it's not like he couldn't sign a 1-year deal while giving the owners another year to work things out. The Buffalo offer is floating out there, so it doesn't seem to be about money.

It's not about term, it's not about money. and it seems like there's at least another year of hockey in Phoenix, so it's not yet about location. Even if we lose a year of hockey, I think his value would still be near to what it is right now.

Makes me wonder if Vancouver has said they will retract the offer once the current CBA expires.

Just guessing here, but Signing bonus before CBA contract changes

#733 Dildo Faggins

Dildo Faggins

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:16 AM

Is Doan actually going to sign with either the Canucks or Phoenix tommorrow, or is tommorrow the day he will decide if its final or not that the canucks and the coyotes are the two final teams on his list of who he will choose from at some point in the near future? And then keep us waiting another 3 months? Take all the time you need Shane, dont feel pressured to rush into things, we'll gladly sit here and wait and hope to get you.

#734 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:55 AM

Come. To van doan
Posted Image

#735 CanucksWino

CanucksWino

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:35 AM

DOAN CHOOSES EITHER PHOENIX OR VANCOUVER, and the decision will be made by 2PM today!

From Pass It To Bullis, "Turns out it was. According to a recent report by John Gambadoro, a radio host on Sports 620 KTAR in Phoenix, Doan has once again spurned his own deadline. But here’s the twist: the winger has actually moved it ahead for once. Gambadoro says that Doan will sign somewhere by 2pm on September 14th, because all contracts have to be signed by then."

The Rest of the article: Shane Doan Chooses Between Phoenix and Vancouver.

Puck Daddy: Doan's Decision Down to Coyotes and Canucks.

News1130 Sports@News1130Sports
Terry Bross the agent for Shane Doan told CKWX last night that the#Canucks and Coyotes are the finalist for his client.

Bross says the Canucks jumped to the front of the pack after Doan had dinner with manangement in Vancouver.

Bross says Doan was blown away by the #Canucks presentation at dinner.

That night at dinner, the Canucks told Bross they would be making new and improved offers money wise to Doan.

Edited by CanucksWino, 14 September 2012 - 06:52 AM.

#736 Thumbs_up_Jesus

Thumbs_up_Jesus

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:47 AM

hmmm. guess who owns the coyotes. guess whos getting a shiny new arena just down the I-5.

the jamison deal will inexpicably fall thru. we will get doan. seattle will get a new team. its a win-win for canuck fans.
Posted Image

#737 canucktican

canucktican

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:58 AM

Crap. I'll still be in school at 2 :(

I'll be running home from class lol

#738 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:01 AM

I have a feeling and a good one at that, that Doan becomes a Canuck today, although we will overpay him. Still happy about this though, we need someone with his toughness and tenacity.

#739 Yeria

Yeria

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:03 AM

I don't know if this is out there already but.. here it is. Click here for the original article.

Shane Doan to choose between Vancouver Canucks and Phoenix Coyotes Friday: report

The Shane Doan saga that has dominated most of the NHL free agency this summer appears to be coming to an end, and the Vancouver Canucks stand a 50-50 chance of signing the power forward, at least according to a report out of Phoenix.

John Gambadoro, a sports radio talk show host with Sports 620 KTAR Phoenix took to Twitter Thursday evening, announcing that Doan would make his decision Friday afternoon.

“It is down two – Phoenix and Vancouver. Coyotes Captain Shane Doan will sign a contract deciding where he will play by 5 pm NY time Friday,” wrote Gambadoro on his Twitter account (@Gambo620).

The Canucks have made no secrets about their pursuit of the 35-year-old Doan, as have several other teams, including the L.A. Kings, San Jose Sharks, New York Rangers, Philadelphia Flyers, Nashville Predators and Buffalo Sabres.

Doan has spent his entire NHL career – 17 years, totaling 1,198 regular season games – with the same organization.

The first edition of the Winnipeg Jets selected him seventh overall in the 1995 NHL Entry Draft. He has remained with the franchise ever since, despite years of financial duress with the Coyotes.

His loyalty to the Coyotes has remained strong throughout this free agency process. Doan’s agent, Terry Bross, has set several deadlines since July 1, but has pushed them all back as the sale of the franchise continues.

Gambadoro reported last week that Doan had agreed to a four-year deal worth $21.5 million with the Coyotes, although “the deal was contingent on the finalization of the sale of the franchise to prospective buyer Greg Jamison by September 15,” said the report on arizonasports.com.

Doan, who is one of five co-owners of the Western Hockey League’s Kamloops Blazers, where he played his junior hockey, has 318 career regular season goals, to go along with 788 points.

There are concerns about Doan’s age, especially considering the NHL looks to be on the brink of yet another lockout. He turns 36 on Oct. 10.

He scored 22 goals last season, and 20 in 2010-11. His best season came in 2007-08, when he scored 28 goals and finished the campaign with a career-high 78 points.

It's a blog but from a Vancouver Sun staff. Hopefully he chooses us over Phoenix.
Posted Image
Thanks to Hockey_Crazy for the sig!

#740 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,075 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:06 AM

This is not really news, but I thought it was interesting:

The Toronto Sun ran the Gambadoro story as well. They also had an online poll, asking whether voters would prefer to see Doan sign in Phoenix or Vancouver...

65% of voters said "Vancouver". Either a lot of Canuck fans are reading the Toronto Sun, or the rest of the country is getting fed up with the Phoenix situation as well.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#741 Walking Paradox

Walking Paradox

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:11 AM

Looks like I'll be checking my twitter a lot more than usual in class today.

#742 Mike Versace ESQ

Mike Versace ESQ

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:12 AM

Tomorrow if Doan signs with Canucks you're going to boast "See! I told you he's right all the time" Where he is just making guesses on the most likely scenario.

Its a damn game to build web traffic to his site.
you're a fool to believe it.

end of story.

If u actually followed him and read his tweets you'd know that he stated that it was down to Phoenix and Vancouver probably 2 weeks ago. In fact I think I posted his tweets in this very thread stating this very fact and I was ridiculed for doing so. Go back and read it for yourself.

Say what u want about HockeyyInsiderr but this guy knows his stuff and is right more often than not. No one is right about this stuff 100% of the time. Mackenzie and Dregger aren't the only people with sources in the NHL. Those 2 make predictions that turn out to be wrong as well. The problem is with people like you who read something that states team "x" is talking with team "y" regarding a trade for player "z" and if the trade doesn't happen, u quickly jump all over whoever made the statement saying "see he's full of sh!t" 2 teams talking doesn't guarantee that the trade will be made. It simply means they are talking. He's simply just passing along that info.

So u can go ahead and keep dismissing his credibility, and putting him in no-win situations like you did your post I quoted if it makes you feel smart and noble.

I just disagree with you

Posted ImagePosted Image

FOLLOW @MikeVersace1

#shapcrew #membersonly

credit to CanucksHD for the avatar

#743 tas

tas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,927 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:25 AM

the problem with anonymous insiders like eklund and hockeyyinsiderr is that even if they do have legitimate sources, they still aren't credible or reputable because they have no journalistic integrity. they report rumors and hearsay as facts in the vain hope of being the first to break the story knowing full well that because they don't reveal their identities, and because they aren't credentialed members of the professional media, there will be no negative consequences for being wrong and teenagers all over the continent will continue to gobble up their garbage information.

#744 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,718 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:26 AM

If you guys pay any attention to him without having this "let's hate hockey insiderr" bandwagon, bias and group mentality, you'd see he actually does get a lot of stuff right. Whether he's just guessing, has a crystal ball or actually has inside sources, his credibility is definitely growing, the guy has released signing and trades long before they've occurred and backs it up by showing his original tweets from weeks before. He does sound like a dramatic Dbag on twitter sometimes, but his stuff is pretty legit, just seems like people are hating on him cause it's the popular thing to do.

or just spends a lot of time on the internet. Holy crap are kids effed these days.
There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#745 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:26 AM

Will be hilarious if he signs.....can't wait to quote the people that said it'd be impossible to get him in proposals section and the forum in general.....starting off with TOMPL and the numerous others.....but on the other hand, if he doesn't, guess they were right...

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#746 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,675 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:35 AM

Damn it I got a massive Doaner and I have to go to school!

o08j21.jpg

Thanks for the sig Twilight Sparkle

#747 MaxLapierreAwesomeFace

MaxLapierreAwesomeFace

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:35 AM

gonna be on cdc during school wooo!!! (just for this) :)

Edited by MaxLapierreAwesomeFace, 14 September 2012 - 07:36 AM.

#748 canucks_dynasty

canucks_dynasty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,067 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:37 AM

If u actually followed him and read his tweets you'd know that he stated that it was down to Phoenix and Vancouver probably 2 weeks ago. In fact I think I posted his tweets in this very thread stating this very fact and I was ridiculed for doing so. Go back and read it for yourself.

Say what u want about HockeyyInsiderr but this guy knows his stuff and is right more often than not. No one is right about this stuff 100% of the time. Mackenzie and Dregger aren't the only people with sources in the NHL. Those 2 make predictions that turn out to be wrong as well. The problem is with people like you who read something that states team "x" is talking with team "y" regarding a trade for player "z" and if the trade doesn't happen, u quickly jump all over whoever made the statement saying "see he's full of sh!t" 2 teams talking doesn't guarantee that the trade will be made. It simply means they are talking. He's simply just passing along that info.

So u can go ahead and keep dismissing his credibility, and putting him in no-win situations like you did your post I quoted if it makes you feel smart and noble.

I just disagree with you

HockeyyInsiderr lost credibility when he tweeted Gretzky was in the hospital. Nuff said.

#749 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,718 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:46 AM

But he's got to be better than Raymond or Higgins in the top 6. Unforutnatley MG's inability to add quality players to a cap team (with the money available) means that this would be huge for us.
There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#750 Blueberries

Blueberries

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:47 AM

By 5pm ny time(2pm here) doan will sign.

Posted Image

THANKS TO VINTAGE CANUCK FOR THE AWESOME SIG!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.