1062 replies to this topic

#61 JLumme

JLumme

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:46 AM

Doan doesn't want to move house if there's no hockey, and Phoenix doesn't want to sign Doan if there's no hockey, all signs point towards no hockey... so here we are.

#62 EDLER.IS.BEAST

EDLER.IS.BEAST

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:56 AM

i really can't stand this generation of children that has been raised by the internet. every single thing about them is awful.

who needs a unique thought when you can just copy someone else's drivel?

No kidding, it's getting ridiculous at this point. I come looking for updates and instead have to go through all these garbage posts with people thinking they're actually funny. Seriously, making these stupid Doan references is old now and stopped being funny last month. It's summer, don't you guys have anything better to do with your lives?

#63 tas

tas

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:59 AM

what eats away at me is when anyone thinks any meme is funny ever.

#64 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:05 AM

Doan doesn't want to move house if there's no hockey, and Phoenix doesn't want to sign Doan if there's no hockey, all signs point towards no hockey... so here we are.

Why would they care if there's no hockey, they wouldnt have to pay him then. I don't see why he isn't signed yet, they need to be above the cap floor unless they are trying to change the rules on the cap floor.

Edited by Lockhart, 17 August 2012 - 10:06 AM.

#65 diesel_3

diesel_3

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,504 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:25 AM

what eats away at me is when anyone thinks any meme is funny ever.

This.
Do you have people on your facebook that post up those de-motivational posters? Sweet jesus.
Posted Image
Thanks to JimLahey for the great Sig!
Posted Image
SUPPORT YOUR TROOPS!

#66 tas

tas

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:27 AM

This.
Do you have people on your facebook that post up those de-motivational posters? Sweet jesus.

if i did their status updates would have been blocked a long time ago.

#67 JLumme

JLumme

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:29 AM

Why would they care if there's no hockey, they wouldnt have to pay him then. I don't see why he isn't signed yet, they need to be above the cap floor unless they are trying to change the rules on the cap floor.

They have to pay him if there's a signing bonus on the contract, which there will be.

#68 Duda

Duda

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:39 AM

POPULAR

if i did their status updates would have been blocked a long time ago.

Posted Image

#69 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:28 PM

POPULAR

The saga continues...
Posted Image
Posted Image

#70 parhar87

parhar87

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:53 PM

The saga continues...
Posted Image

amazing

#71 RO8!!

RO8!!

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:38 PM

No kidding, it's getting ridiculous at this point. I come looking for updates and instead have to go through all these garbage posts with people thinking they're actually funny. Seriously, making these stupid Doan references is old now and stopped being funny last month. It's summer, don't you guys have anything better to do with your lives?

Don you have anything better to do in the summer then whine about the children of this generation on a message board? It's all relative man every generation thinks the new generation is stupid.

"Hey this milk is bad. Maybe tomorrow it'll be better."

Canucks NYG Celtics Fan

#72 tas

tas

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:07 PM

amazing

are we really throwing terms like "amazing" around so frivolously now? were you AMAZED?

it's amazingly sloppy photoshop work.

#73 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,205 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:09 PM

To sum up: Doan sounds a little like don't.

#74 tas

tas

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:10 PM

Don you have anything better to do in the summer then whine about the children of this generation on a message board? It's all relative man every generation thinks the new generation is stupid.

it's not that the current generation is stupid, per se (though they are), it's that they're mindless automatons programmed by 4chan.

come up with something on your own instead of just perpetuating somebody else's nonsense for christ sake.

#75 Jester13

Jester13

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:26 PM

FYI every generation IS smarter than the last, something history shows us over and over again with statistical evidence. Nice generalizations ya old generation dumb @$$e$

"Education is the inoculator for ignorance."

#76 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:33 PM

FYI every generation IS smarter than the last, something history shows us over and over again with statistical evidence. Nice generalizations ya old generation dumb @$$e$

Smarter, perhaps, but each generation only gains wisdom with age at which point, they look back at the new generation and see how smart but lacking in wisdom they are. You will do the same.

Never equate knowledge or "smarts" with wisdom. There are plenty of very intelligent people that are realtively useless at anything that matters.

#77 tas

tas

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:36 PM

define smarter.

#78 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,205 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:44 PM

Nope. Stupidity rules all ages - omnipresent, immutable. The older you get, the less likely and willing you may be to show that you are still stupid. Young people, generally not having evidenced that fact as thoroughly, have also learned less to hide it, and are more prone and likely to evidence the obvious: that they, too, are stupid.
History has proven nothing resembling evolving smartness. That would be a progress myth.

#79 Linden Legend

Linden Legend

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:18 PM

i really can't stand this generation of children that has been raised by the internet. every single thing about them is awful.

who needs a unique thought when you can just copy someone else's drivel?

Completely agree. I really wish there was some sort of screening process that people had to go through to join CDC. The mindless crap that you have to sift through to get to anything resembling meaningfulness is enough to give someone an aneurysm.

Fact: Using Doan's name as a play on words is NOT funny. It was NEVER funny. If you find this funny....get help!

Fact: memes are never funny. They all suck.

Fact: If you do either of the above, you also suck!

I'm so tired of some of the crap on this site. Please, if anyone has anything meaningful to say, let me know. Can we please just keep to thoughtful and productive discussions on the Canucks!I'm going out to enjoy my Friday night. You should all do the same!

Edited by Red Russian, 17 August 2012 - 10:26 PM.

"He'll play! You know he'll play! He'll play on crutches!"
"Adams shoots...SCORES!!! Greg Adams!!! Greg Adams!!!"
"They've slayed the dragon!!"

#80 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,326 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:19 PM

Completely agree. I really wish there was some sort of screening process that people had to go through to join CDC. The mindless crap that you have to sift through to get to anything resembling meaningfulness is enough to give someone an aneurysm.Fact: Using Doan's name as a play on words is NOT funny. It was NEVER funny. If you find this funny....get help! Fact: memes are never funny. They all suck.Fact: If you do either of the above, you also suck!I'm so tired of some of the crap on this site. Please, if anyone has anything meaningful to say, let me know. Can we please just keep to thoughtful and productive discussions on the Canucks!I'm going out to enjoy my Friday night. You should all do the same!

You could always leave if you doan't like it :)

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#81 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:05 AM

define smarter.

This. Seems to me each generation right now is getting worse. This is coming from a person born in the 90's...
Posted Image

R.I.P. Your heart and fearlessness will be remembered

#82 Strombone1

Strombone1

GDT Master

• Members
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:36 AM

doan you guys have something better to do than posting here?

Commissioner of Shapheat FHL

Player of the Game - Wall of Fame
2014-15 GDT Registrations

#83 unknown33429

unknown33429

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:39 AM

define smarter.

Nope. Stupidity rules all ages - omnipresent, immutable. The older you get, the less likely and willing you may be to show that you are still stupid. Young people, generally not having evidenced that fact as thoroughly, have also learned less to hide it, and are more prone and likely to evidence the obvious: that they, too, are stupid.
History has proven nothing resembling evolving smartness. That would be a progress myth.

I hope this is some kind of joke.

-If by "smartness," you mean people have more knowledge, then you are wrong. I don't know even know why anyone would think this.

-If by "smartness," you mean the capacity to retain knowledge, then you are also wrong. Human brain is a lot similar to a muscle, the more you work it, the more efficient it becomes (something the older generations didn't know).

-If by "smartness," you mean better able to analyze, reason etc., then you are also wrong. Same reason as above.

-If by "smartness," you mean better able to survive in the natural environment without depending on others, then you are right. One of the prices we pay for specialization.

If you think you are not more intelligent than someone from the middle ages in all those aspects above except the last one, then you are right.

Are you CRAZY??? Trade Green for ONE first round pick?? He's restricted after this season.... He WILL get an offer sheet for 7-8 million from a number of teams regardless if he plays another minute for us or not. That offer sheet would be worth 4 first round draft choices.

Some fans overrate their players, and then there is this guy.

#84 Linden Legend

Linden Legend

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:43 AM

What statistical evidence shows this? Or are you just trying to sound well informed?

If I am hearing you correctly, I believe you are referring to the Flynn Effect; the notion that each generation is smarter than the previous one. However, studies out of Duke University actually show that while scores do in fact indicate in increase in IQ scores, this increase is only present in the far right segment of the bell curve. The top 5% are scoring better. In other words, the world's brightest are getting brighter. This should come as no surprise as the world is becoming more technologically advanced. Surgeons can perform procedures now that could only be dreamed of 20-30 years ago. However, there is absolutely no evidence that society as a whole gets smarter with each passing generation.

Take a look at what the current generation is infatuated with. We live in a world where figures like Nicki Minaj and One Direction are not only idolized, but also viewed as role models. Shows like Jersey Show are considered entertainment, Twilight books are popular literature, and art consists of an exhibit of a toilet in a museum. It is a sad statement on the current generation.

Take a moment to look back at previous generations. Bach and Mozart created symphonies of perfection. Entertainment consisted of playwrites such as Shakespeare. Dickens wrote timeless masterpieces. Oh yeah, and guys like Michaelangelo painted the ceilings of chapels. Show me ANYONE in the current generation that can hold a candle to these guys. And you claim that each generation gets smarter.......HA!

I am not trying to sound uppity, and I apoligise if this is how I am coming across. But the current generation is a sad statement on the way mankind is headed. To say that society is getting smarter is comical. I know I have given extreme examples of excellence from previous generations, but I believe it is necessary to prove my point.

Also, calling someone a dumba** is rather counter productive to your argument, wouldn't you say?

"He'll play! You know he'll play! He'll play on crutches!"
"Adams shoots...SCORES!!! Greg Adams!!! Greg Adams!!!"
"They've slayed the dragon!!"

#85 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,964 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:05 AM

LOL at the idea that more people could survive in the natural world than any other time in history. Even if you disregard inflation in the world's population, that's still not true.

But hey, at least we're talking about something more interesting than Doan or Luongo!

#86 unknown33429

unknown33429

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:07 AM

What statistical evidence shows this? Or are you just trying to sound well informed?

If I am hearing you correctly, I believe you are referring to the Flynn Effect; the notion that each generation is smarter than the previous one. However, studies out of Duke University actually show that while scores do in fact indicate in increase in IQ scores, this increase is only present in the far right segment of the bell curve. The top 5% are scoring better. In other words, the world's brightest are getting brighter. This should come as no surprise as the world is becoming more technologically advanced. Surgeons can perform procedures now that could only be dreamed of 20-30 years ago. However, there is absolutely no evidence that society as a whole gets smarter with each passing generation.

Take a look at what the current generation is infatuated with. We live in a world where figures like Nicki Minaj and One Direction are not only idolized, but also viewed as role models. Shows like Jersey Show are considered entertainment, Twilight books are popular literature, and art consists of an exhibit of a toilet in a museum. It is a sad statement on the current generation.

Take a moment to look back at previous generations. Bach and Mozart created symphonies of perfection. Entertainment consisted of playwrites such as Shakespeare. Dickens wrote timeless masterpieces. Oh yeah, and guys like Michaelangelo painted the ceilings of chapels. Show me ANYONE in the current generation that can hold a candle to these guys. And you claim that each generation gets smarter.......HA!

I am not trying to sound uppity, and I apoligise if this is how I am coming across. But the current generation is a sad statement on the way mankind is headed. To say that society is getting smarter is comical. I know I have given extreme examples of excellence from previous generations, but I believe it is necessary to prove my point.

Also, calling someone a dumba** is rather counter productive to your argument, wouldn't you say?

You're looking at studies that use relatively small samples, which can't possible account for the 7 billion people in the world. Also, IQ tests have their share of problems, which I don't want to bother getting into right now.

The biggest problem with your argument you are using a select group of people from entire human history to make your point. They would be what most people would consider outliers, because they don't remotely represent the general public. Shakespeare's own kids were illiterate.

How many generations ago was segregation an acceptable part of society?
How many generations ago was slavery law in the US?

People are becoming more intelligent/ more tolerant than the previous generation. Every generation has it's irritating celebrities. Brittany Spears/ Madonna/ Backstreet boys/ Spice girls/Blondie. The generation of the 70's looked up to drug addicts; you can't say that was much better. Before that, war heroes were the role models of society.

Are you CRAZY??? Trade Green for ONE first round pick?? He's restricted after this season.... He WILL get an offer sheet for 7-8 million from a number of teams regardless if he plays another minute for us or not. That offer sheet would be worth 4 first round draft choices.

#87 unknown33429

unknown33429

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:10 AM

LOL at the idea that more people could survive in the natural world than any other time in history. Even if you disregard inflation in the world's population, that's still not true.

But hey, at least we're talking about something more interesting than Doan or Luongo!

I assume that was directed at me. I'm saying they can't survive as well as they could in the past without relying on others. eg) You put an average guy in the woods without any tools, he'd be worse off than a guy from the 1800's, simply because a lack of experience.

#88 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,326 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:25 AM

How did this thread turn into history class? :lol:

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#89 Ghost of Sacrilage

Ghost of Sacrilage

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:24 AM

People are not any more capable of being smart today, any more than they were 2000 years ago. Evolution does NOT work that quickly. People are generally smarter today, because of.... time. Every generation has the benefit of the knowledge of the previous one. The knowledge and the advancement. You dont go from building a wooden boat to landing on the moon in one generation. It takes the breakthroughs of every generation in between, and the brilliant individuals within each generation to advance.

However, history also shows that civilization grows, to a point, then has a bubble burst. The mongols, romans, incas etc were the peak of their time. For whatever reason, the civilization collapses, and then rebuilds itself bigger and better.

#90 Ghost of Sacrilage

Ghost of Sacrilage

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:33 AM

Health wise, however, history shows that every generation has lived longer, based again on the knowledge and advancements from the previous generation.

Scientist are now concerned that the current young generation is going to buck that trend. In the last 100 year or so people have lived longer and longer consistently due to advancement in medical science.

Now though, you have people born in the 90's who are fatter and more sedentary than ANY time in human history, and doctors / scientist are thinking that this generation is going to live shorter. Until this point you had advancement in medicine, while still having a generally physically active society. Not so for the modern generation.

Is this the start of the current civilizations "bubble burst" ? In a few more generations, will we be the civilation from WALL-E?

And if this generation is truly smarter than the last, they should see this.

Edited by Ghost of Sacrilage, 18 August 2012 - 06:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.