The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] The Doan Meta-Thread v2.0

Is it okay to say now, that as good as Doan is, and as much as I like him, its not really good business to bring in an older player for multiple years with a large cap hit. the 4 year rumour is what has me thinking we should look elsewhere for a top six winger, the one hole we have always had remains.....

Is it okay to say now, that as good as Doan is, and as much as I like him, its not really good business to bring in an older player for multiple years with a large cap hit. the 4 year rumour is what has me thinking we should look elsewhere for a top six winger, the one hole we have always had remains.....

NHL Rumors: Jeremy Roenick says Sabres have huge offer for Shane Doan

By Brian Stubits | NHL Blogger August 21, 2012 10:18 am ET

082112_doan.jpgAdd another team to the Doan speculation. (Getty Images)

While the hockey world continues very patiently wait to hear something, anything on the Shane Doan front, there have been rumors galore. At some point he has been rumored to have decided to leave the Coyotes, visit the Penguins, Rangers,Canucks and Canadiens and almost everything else in between. All the while he has remained unsigned.

Now, thanks to Jeremy Roenick who joined Josh Rimer on his XM radio show Monday night, we have another team to throw into the mix: The Buffalo Sabres.

If it's a huge offer, perhaps they are the team that supposedly threw $30 million over four seasons at Doan as was said to be out there by none other than Doan's agent.

There are a few reasons to believe this is on track here. First of all, Roenick maintains close ties with the Coyotes organization since his career ended. From all accounts he enjoyed his time in the desert and at one point was even mentioned as a part of a potential ownership group to buy the team. While I have no idea what Roenick's source could be, I have no doubt that he would have sources that could give him this information based on his connection with Doan's franchise.

Secondly, the Sabres had a very quiet offseason, particularly compared to last year at this time. Owner Terry Pegula wants to bring Buffalo a Stanley Cup and showed last year he is more than willing to spend to make it happen. Buffalo was 10th in the East last season in goals scores so getting a winger who can score was going to be a welcome site, even if Doan might not have a ton left in him. But he did just score 22 goals (with 28 assists) for Phoenix last season.

If it is indeed true that the offer is out there, if/when Doan decides he's waited long enough for the ownership situation to get resolved in Phoenix and is going to move on, it's now hard to believe Buffalo wouldn't be the first team he calls.

Who would have thought in May that Shane Doan was going to be the summer's biggest soap opera?

Guest Dasein

Shane wants to win more than money at this point.

His #1 priority is to stay in Phoenix, but if not, he will go to an elite contender.

Buffalo is out of question IMO.

I was tweeting with a bunch of the 'Insiders' on twitter. 'DMing' (private messaging) is what its called.

I did not exchange talks with HockeyyInsiderr though, I talked with:

- The NHL Insider

- Rumor Wire

- NHL All Access

- NHL Rumor Mill

They all said something like this:

"Doan wants Phoenix as his first choice. His family wants Vancouver as their 1st choice. If ANYTHING goes wrong with Jamison and the new ownership, Vancouver is Shane's 100% 'Plan B'. But as of right now, its Phoenix".

I'm on the fence for with they said, I hope it has some merit to it.

http://www.hockeybuz...-Bigger/1/46201

eklund but whatever. its been a long summer

----------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.hockeybuz...No-More/6/46200

more hockeybuzz stuff

i think if gillis has offered doan 8mill per season he is crazy. way too much for doan. hes worth 6mill at the very max. hopefully there wrong along with almost everything else they say.

Archived