The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can Vancouver host the Summer Olympics?

nitronuts

Did anyone even read the article that was linked above? (the sole reason this topic was made) Lots of good and well-researched info there, including the fact that Canada hosted the 1976 Summer Games in Montreal....read before making some very ignorant opinions.

Was unaware of it, wasn't alive back then

Vancouver/Seattle already has a joint bid for the 2028 Summer Olympics:

A joint bid by Vancouver and Seattle to host the 2028 Summer Olympics is being explored. It would be the first time that a city will have hosted both a Summer and a Winter Games as Vancouver hosted the 2010 Winter Olympics. A multi-national bid would be a ground-breaking event in the Olympic movement and would require overcoming numerous logistical hurdles and a change in an International Olympic Committee rule requiring that the Olympics be awarded to a single city. This rule has often not been enforced, with cities bidding and winning Olympics where some of the events are held away from the host city. For example, in the 2008 Games hosted in Beijing, equestrian events were actually held in Hong Kong, 1,200 miles (1,931 km) south of Beijing;[22] in the 1956 Summer Games Melbourne had equestrian events in Stockholm, 15,590 km away, along with Ballarat, Victoria located 110 km away hosting the rowing and canoeing events, and in the 2010 Vancouver Games, numerous events were hosted by Whistler, British Columbia, a town approximately 100 km away. In the 1996 Summer Olympics held in Atlanta, whitewater events were held 180 km away in Ocoee, Tennessee. Events for the 2012 Summer Olympics in London were held across the United Kingdom. Vancouver and Seattle both believe that the logistics can be overcome and have cited that the travel time between Seattle and Vancouver is similar to the travel time between Whistler, British Columbia and Vancouver, the site of most of the 2010 Winter Olympics competitions.[23]

Vancouver and Seattle already have a joint bid to host a Summer Olympics in the future.

Would be really interesting and exciting. I would have to say that a lot of basketball would be played here. Seattle would most probably get soccer and the Opening Ceremonies.

Athletics and what not could be done in BC Place, and we could also get rowing.

I could definetly see it working out, with both cities sharing the Summer Olympics. I mean we both have big stadiums and what not.

Vancouver and Seattle already have a joint bid to host a Summer Olympics in the future.

Would be really interesting and exciting. I would have to say that a lot of basketball would be played here. Seattle would most probably get soccer and the Opening Ceremonies.

Athletics and what not could be done in BC Place, and we could also get rowing.

I could definetly see it working out, with both cities sharing the Summer Olympics. I mean we both have big stadiums and what not.

Athletics definitely couldn't be done at BC Place, you can't fit an Olympic-sized track onto the stadium floor.

And this explains it: http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2012/08/the-vancouver-summer-olympic-games-part-ii/

In this second part of our 3-part Vancity Buzz Special Exclusive Series, we focus on the competition sport venues required to host the Summer Olympic Games here in Metro Vancouver and Victoria.

Ask Montreal how hosting worked out for them, eh, canucklax.

What did they get out of it? A billion dollar stadium that sits empty most of the time.

Vancouver has some of the necessary infrastructure, but, a lot of dollars would still have to be spent. Velodrome and Aquatic Centre would be the 2 biggest, I would imagine.

Oh, yeah... We don't have a stadium with a track to hold 80 000, either. That would cost a few bucks! :shock:

:towel::canucks:

Did anyone even read the article that was linked above? (the sole reason this topic was made) Lots of good and well-researched info there, including the fact that Canada hosted the 1976 Summer Games in Montreal....read before making some very ignorant opinions.

In this day and age with the internet and everything, you might as well also say..."Was unware Macdonald was our first Prime Minister, wasn't alive back then."

• 2 weeks later...

Not anytime soon but in 2050 like A1 Canucks said.

By then Translink should have (hopefully) developed some much needed skytrains (hopefully) to interconnect Lower Mainland. Build the track and field stadium in Surrey. Aquatic centre in North Van. Spread some of the buildings to neighbouring cities to reduce the congestion.

Archived