The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[NHL 13] Complete Team Overalls (Warning: Image Heavy)

n00bxQb

TL;DR - Erik Karlsson is an elite NHL defender, and is deserving of the same great all-around rating that a veteran stud like Shea Weber would deserve, because he won the Norris last year. Except none of that is true, except that he won a Norris.

I hope I don't make it sound that way, because he (Lebda) is the worst.

I love him. There's a number of reasons I wouldn't want him on in my last minute, and one of those reasons is that I would want my guys defending a lead to be willing to take a puck in the chest to do it. Karlsson isn't that kind of player. His SH TOI is low, but that's as much to do with the fact that he pulls 25m on average in ES and PP time. However, the players we're supposedly comparing him to, like Weber, would have played those minutes. Phaneuf too. Though I would never take Phaneuf on my team.

Karlsson is a great guy to have on the blueline, he's just not the best option in your own zone. And since a defenceman's rating should be a little disproportionately balanced towards what they do in their own zone, I'm just saying it doesn't surprise me that he's low, and that anyone saying he's an elite defender is going a bit far. He's a wonderful kid. He's just not the best defender in the league, or his own team. Maybe not his own defensive pairing. That doesn't stop him from being exceptional as a PP QB or a puck mover.

Fair enough. I saw the same amount, maybe 5 less since I never making watching the Ottawa game a priority. I just don't ever see him as a Weber or Lidstrom, the kind of guy who is terrific on all sides of the puck. I see him more as a Subban/Byfuglien/Campbell type, where they're great with the puck and capable of not letting everyone score on them all the time. And I'd never put PK/Buff/Soupy on in the last minute either. Either way, I appreciate the respectful exchange of ideas with you.

I'd say this as kind of a 'mathematical reasoning'

A defenseman's job is... would you say, 80% to stop goals from getting in? I'd even say 90% of the time, but let's just say 80-20 as a D-O split. There's no denying he's elite offensively. I'd grade him a hypothetical 100 in it. Defensively, I'd maybe give him an 80. I'd give Carle maybe a 85, a little better, but far below guys like Weber (90ish) and Chara (100) and Pronger (100)

So, 80% of his grade is D - 80% of his 80 rank = 64. 100% of his 20 potential points for rating off = 20 (obv)

So, an 84 ranking. With potential. Seems right to me, right now. Comparatively, I'd never give Carle a 100 for his offensive work. Maybe, like, an 85-90. If we even give him an 85, then his adjusted ranking would also be around 85 including his D work, but with less potential to improve.

It doesn't sound nearly as ridiculous that way.

I'd say this as kind of a 'mathematical reasoning'

A defenseman's job is... would you say, 80% to stop goals from getting in? I'd even say 90% of the time, but let's just say 80-20 as a D-O split. There's no denying he's elite offensively. I'd grade him a hypothetical 100 in it. Defensively, I'd maybe give him an 80. I'd give Carle maybe a 85, a little better, but far below guys like Weber (90ish) and Chara (100) and Pronger (100)

So, 80% of his grade is D - 80% of his 80 rank = 64. 100% of his 20 potential points for rating off = 20 (obv)

So, an 84 ranking. With potential. Seems right to me, right now. Comparatively, I'd never give Carle a 100 for his offensive work. Maybe, like, an 85-90. If we even give him an 85, then his adjusted ranking would also be around 85 including his D work, but with less potential to improve.

It doesn't sound nearly as ridiculous that way.

Archived