The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is is the end of Canucks dream? Has Betman ruined our team

nitti999

This new CBA negotiations may end this team and what it may do in the future. The league is pushing for salary cap numbers in the 50 million range. Yes this may add to parody in the league but what does that do to dominate markets like this one. It ruins it. Our fans sell out there arenas and should be rewarded for it by spending money for the best team. Instead Bet,an is pushing for increased revenue sharing and lowering the salary cap below 60 mil. Even the players union offer which has been outright rejected lowers the cap. Dreams of adding to our core are not going to happen. Instead we will need to subtract players.

Indeed this could be the end of the team we know and love.

I really hope I am wrong, but it doesn't seem that way

It will ruin all the markets that spend near the cap. To recover $15-20M in salary to get under the cap, players like Crosby, Malkin, Weber, Sedin, Sedin, Ovechkin, Chara, Staal and others will have to be sent to the AHL for the duration of the new CBA; likely the rest of their careers.

Sad.

A rollback would mean every player takes the same percentage cut in pay say 24% so it would not result in players being sent to the minors.

The problem isn't the salaries. The problem is a system where poor hockey markets are subsidized by fans and owners of strong markets in order to bring parity to the league. This is how you end up with teams in cities who can't spell "hockey" surviving (not flourishing) and actually having a chance to compete for the cup. The system also rewards owners that spend the minimum and have no intention of icing a winning team, only one that can compete some nights.

Bottom line, no dynasties, and a watered down product pandering to the non-hockey fans in the southern states. Avid fans may never see their team win the cup while movie stars and coutnry singers who only show up during the playoffs for the photo opportunities will.

All in the name of profits for the owners.

Yeah on a 24% cut the owners are asking for the Sedins would be making $4,636,000 per year.

However I mean that was initial offer of course league was/is willing to budge, maybe 12-15%.

At the end of the day I don't care how much anyone is making, I just want to watch hockey again!

This new CBA negotiations may end this team and what it may do in the future. The league is pushing for salary cap numbers in the 50 million range. Yes this may add to parody in the league but what does that do to dominate markets like this one. It ruins it. Our fans sell out there arenas and should be rewarded for it by spending money for the best team. Instead Bet,an is pushing for increased revenue sharing and lowering the salary cap below 60 mil. Even the players union offer which has been outright rejected lowers the cap. Dreams of adding to our core are not going to happen. Instead we will need to subtract players.

Indeed this could be the end of the team we know and love.

I really hope I am wrong, but it doesn't seem that way

OP please read one of the other CBA related threads and gain some knowledge on the subject. After doing so you should realise this thread is unnecessary.

One of the reasons is you will find numerous members say similar things to what your OP says. Then you will go on to read responses to those posts and be introduced to the concept of salary roll-backs and how it works.

Ya I would believe it would go something like this.

Say the cap is 70.2M right now.

It gets cut back to 50M.

50M is 71.2% of 70.2M.

So each players contract would be reduced to 71.2% of their standing contract.

Sedins - 71.2% of current 6.1M contract would equal a new contract of 4.3M

The problem isn't the salaries. The problem is a system where poor hockey markets are subsidized by fans and owners of strong markets in order to bring parity to the league. This is how you end up with teams in cities who can't spell "hockey" surviving (not flourishing) and actually having a chance to compete for the cup. The system also rewards owners that spend the minimum and have no intention of icing a winning team, only one that can compete some nights.

Bottom line, no dynasties, and a watered down product pandering to the non-hockey fans in the southern states. Avid fans may never see their team win the cup while movie stars and coutnry singers who only show up during the playoffs for the photo opportunities will.

All in the name of profits for the owners.

Who wants the NHL to be like MLB?

I actually like the idea of having no cap, it would be great for us because we would be able to acquire a lot of great players. Sure there are a lot of negatives like overpaying for players by a lot, but teams would be at a more equal level (spending wise, unless your Phoenix or New Jersey).

Yeah on a 24% cut the owners are asking for the Sedins would be making $4,636,000 per year.

However I mean that was initial offer of course league was/is willing to budge, maybe 12-15%.

At the end of the day I don't care how much anyone is making, I just want to watch hockey again!

Archived