The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is is the end of Canucks dream? Has Betman ruined our team

nitti999

If I were a player and I signed a legally binding contract at $5 mill per year for 4 years this is exactly what I would be paid.Cap rollback or not.

If I had signed a contract that gave me a percentage of the cap, and the cap got rolledback then I'd take less money.

Multiple lawsuits coming and possibly a class action suit that could win billions in a settlement if they try to take money back on a signed in good faith personal player contract.

I personally think that teams should be given a loop hole in the cap to help them keep the players they draft. like for example, if a player is drafted by a team and signs a deal with that team only 75% percent of that players salary heads towards the cap. this will allow teams to pay players they have developed more and still be competitive. like with the oilers, we all know that the day will come that they will have to blow up their team because they wont have the cap room to keep their high end players, with the loop in the cap they could pay their players market value and be able to keep them all. Helps all NHL teams and markets, creates a sense of player loyalty towards their teams. imagine if we were able to take %25 (or whatever number) of the salary of drafted players off the cap. Sedins, kesler, bieksa, raymond, schids, elder are all able to be paid more for staying loyal to their team and their team stay competitive.

Just a random thought... patient pending!

I would take this one step further.....I would like to see teams only be able to draft players from an area around their city......with population and economic conditions considered for parity. I think then the nhl will be spending more money on minor hockey and developing their "players" when they are very young. I realize there are many many problems with this system....for one what would happen if a 15 year old promising prospect moves from toronto to alberta for example, but i still find the idea intriging. another issue is what if BC develops 20 D-men, all capable of playing top 2 minutes, but can't find a first line center, or a goalie.

teams can also be given an area of europe to draft from. I think this will force the southern teams to promote hockey more, I know this will never happen, and will cause more problems then it will solve, but i still like the idea.

The players association can negotiate a cap with the league, not individual rollbacks for each player. At least IMO.

The players have individual contracts signed in good faithwith the team for x dollars, what the team can pay all its players as a total can be negotiated by the association and the owners under the CBA.

Hey Wetcoaster where are you?

So let's say it is about 20%, so the Sedin play for about $5mil. The agent's take is about 10% so down to $4.5 mil then you take income tax in BC for that kind of salary (if the are taxed in sweden for some of it is even higher) is about 43% which leaves a net of about $2.5 million a year. Great money but not quite the $6 million + that people have in their mind. And this is over a carreer of about 15 years for top players. A doctor can make $600- 700,000 a year for 40 years. Just to put things in perspective. On the other hand, NHL revenues last year were $3.3 billion, total. In comparison, profits (not revenues, profits) for the Royal Bank alone are around $6.5 billion a year. This gives you an idea of the size of the hockey business- small, very small potatoes.

I personally think that teams should be given a loop hole in the cap to help them keep the players they draft. like for example, if a player is drafted by a team and signs a deal with that team only 75% percent of that players salary heads towards the cap. this will allow teams to pay players they have developed more and still be competitive. like with the oilers, we all know that the day will come that they will have to blow up their team because they wont have the cap room to keep their high end players, with the loop in the cap they could pay their players market value and be able to keep them all. Helps all NHL teams and markets, creates a sense of player loyalty towards their teams. imagine if we were able to take %25 (or whatever number) of the salary of drafted players off the cap. Sedins, kesler, bieksa, raymond, schids, elder are all able to be paid more for staying loyal to their team and their team stay competitive.

It will ruin all the markets that spend near the cap. To recover $15-20M in salary to get under the cap, players like Crosby, Malkin, Weber, Sedin, Sedin, Ovechkin, Chara, Staal and others will have to be sent to the AHL for the duration of the new CBA; likely the rest of their careers.

Sad.

Who wants the NHL to be like MLB?

I actually like the idea of having no cap, it would be great for us because we would be able to acquire a lot of great players. Sure there are a lot of negatives like overpaying for players by a lot, but teams would be at a more equal level (spending wise, unless your Phoenix or New Jersey).

Bettman does what the owners want because they pay him.Full stop.

If the present greedy idiots/owners in power (represented by the head rat lawyer that collectively represents their interests) were to actually police their player contractual game of usurping one another FOR PERSONAL GAIN the league would not have continual work stoppages.

Then the players would not be locked out and the fans would not be left suffering for the owner's greed and fiscal creativity to one up each other.

The owners are the ones that create the problems that the player's union have to sort out on a regular basis.

The fans pay the owners and the players and keep them in caviar and Bentley's/Ferrari's .The owners and Bettman can 'pluck yew'.

Bettman does what the owners want because they pay him.Full stop.

If the present greedy idiots/owners in power (represented by the head rat lawyer that collectively represents their interests) were to actually police their player contractual game of usurping one another FOR PERSONAL GAIN the league would not have continual work stoppages.

Then the players would not be locked out and the fans would not be left suffering for the owner's greed and fiscal creativity to one up each other.

The owners are the ones that create the problems that the player's union have to sort out on a regular basis.

The fans pay the owners and the players and keep them in caviar and Bentley's/Ferrari's .The owners and Bettman can 'pluck yew'.

Archived