The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

Maybe Deadspin should go back to Week 1 of last year and look at all the terrible calls by the regular officials? We're acting like the regular officials are perfect. They weren't.

Why are you such an NFL apologist for there stupidity in bringing in replacement refs?

Also I will say that your comment before on the refs was completely incorrect.

From the number of games I've watched I've noticed that they've missed calls, but considering that the NORMAL refs also make brutal calls and miss calls, there really isn't that much of a difference.

I'm on the owners side on this one and I'll tell you what. This isn't entirely about money, the owners want crapty refs to be held accountable when they perform poorly. Which is entirely fair. But, the refs don't want that. So I can bare with the replacement refs, I think they've done an admirable job considering they were thrown into the fire like this and are gonna be criticized the entire way.

There is a big difference in terms of calls. Everyone can notice it. The refs also huddle up so much which is ruining the flow of games and making them drag. There is nothing unnoticeable about the replacement offocials.

Also if the owners wanted "crapty" refs to be held accountable and there performance was such a big deal then they wouldnt bring in 2nd tier refs who cannot properly officiate if there life depended on it.

The issue is simply about money. The nfl owners want them to take significantly less while the refs do not want to. I will agree the replacement officials were thrown into fire but they would only be criticized if they did a bad job and so far they have performed horribly and deserve every criticism thrown at them

Why are you such an NFL apologist for there stupidity in bringing in replacement refs?

Also I will say that your comment before on the refs was completely incorrect.

There is a big difference in terms of calls. Everyone can notice it. The refs also huddle up so much which is ruining the flow of games and making them drag. There is nothing unnoticeable about the replacement offocials.

Also if the owners wanted "crapty" refs to be held accountable and there performance was such a big deal then they wouldnt bring in 2nd tier refs who cannot properly officiate if there life depended on it.

The issue is simply about money. The nfl owners want them to take significantly less while the refs do not want to. I will agree the replacement officials were thrown into fire but they would only be criticized if they did a bad job and so far they have performed horribly and deserve every criticism thrown at them

I don't disagree that the huddles aren't slowing things down, but seriously...you need to cut them some slack. Consider it from their point of view...they had to learn a whole new set of rules and have been thrown into a setting they've never been in before.

I don't think they've been great or anything, but I think given the situation they're in they've done a good enough job. Thus far no game has been won/loss because of decisions they made.

I don't disagree either with your point that the main point is money, BUT, the NFL also wants the regular refs to be held accountable when they have awful games. And they absolutely DO have awful games and make brutal calls.

Here's an article from ProFootballTalk that fact checks the deadspin article. Needless to say PFT is more reliable then deadspin.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/10/replacement-officials-did-solid-work-on-opening-sunday/

Many of the fans and members of the media who have bashed the replacement officials have actually been wrong themselves and criticized the replacements for calls they got right. For instance, a Deadspin post on supposed errors by the replacements says that “one of the most glaring mistakes” came when the Redskins got a first down following a five-yard penalty even though they were more than five yards away from a first down. In reality, the officials got that one right: In the sequence in question, the Redskins got the ball on the 20-yard line on a touchback, then threw an incomplete pass on first down, got a gain of slightly more than five yards on second down and threw an incomplete pass on third down before the Saints were called for a five-yard offside penalty on fourth down. Deadspin illustrated this alleged mistake with video footage that appeared to show the Redskins running their third-down play with the ball being snapped just short of the 25-yard line, which would suggest that a five-yard penalty wouldn’t be enough to get the ball to the 30-yard line for a first down. But in reality the ball was spotted past the 25-yard line, and it only looked like it was short of the 25 because the Redskins’ center tilted the ball back when he lined up.

Some of the other so-called mistakes in the Deadspin post — and in other complaints I’ve seen from other media outlets and from players and fans — have been judgment calls about penalties like pass interference, which we all know is a notoriously difficult rule to enforce consistently no matter who the officials are. Saying you disagree with a pass interference call is one thing. Saying you’re sure the regular refs would have called it the way you saw it is something else.

As a Bronco fan this game was a good start to the season. Manning looks like he has always looked. This season is going to be worrisome and every game there will be that dark cloud of Manning reinjuring his neck hanging behind but he is showed tonight he can be the Peyton Manning everyone knows and I can for sure take the worrying if Manning continues to play the way he did tonight.

Are you kidding me? That's nothing compared to being an Eagles fan and worrying that Vick is not gonna last a series on offence without taking a big hit.

Why delay the inevitable though? Everyone knows Vick is injury prone and is going to get hurt again so it's just a matter of time.

That Ravens d is really going to take some shots at Vick next week especially if they don't get him to roll out of the pocket.

Edited by Terry Crews

Are you kidding me? That's nothing compared to being an Eagles fan and worrying that Vick is not gonna last a series on offence without taking a big hit.

Why delay the inevitable though? Everyone knows Vick is injury prone and is going to get hurt again so it's just a matter of time.

That Ravens d is really going to take some shots at Vick next week especially if they don't get him to roll out of the pocket.

Vick hasn't quite been as successful since teams started realizing he struggles if you flush him out of the right side of the pocket. Hard to throw like that so he naturally runs and can be neutralized a bit that way. Obviously his natural athletic ability can break down a play at any point though. He also seems to be throwing a lot more interceptions since his big egirl breakout year and bad ones too.

lol... NFL... flow of games..

:bigblush:

Truthfully I don't see a difference after week one when it comes to these refs vs. the other ones. Inconsistency is part of being human, obviously you have a very critical stance already and so your view will inherently be biased by it. :sadno:

Vick hasn't quite been as successful since teams started realizing he struggles if you flush him out of the right side of the pocket. Hard to throw like that so he naturally runs and can be neutralized a bit that way. Obviously his natural athletic ability can break down a play at any point though. He also seems to be throwing a lot more interceptions since his big egirl breakout year and bad ones too.

I think it has to do with him thinking too much. There is alot of pressure on him this year to perform. The entire season is on his shoulders and how he performs if the Eagles don't make the playoffs this could be the last of Vick and Andy Reid also.

Edited by Terry Crews

Chris Johnson's grandmother just passed away minutes ago. I wonder if he will decide to play or not. If he does, I wonder how it'll impact him.

Ya I saw that too. Haven't heard anything if he will play or not.

#Titans RB Chris Johnson lost his grandmother this morning. She was 100 years old. Johnson will play today in San Diego.

Looks like he is playing and damn 100 years old.

Edited by gmen81