The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

On 15/01/2018 at 12:53 AM, WHL rocks said:

Yes Chip, big Pats fan here of course. 

The two assistants are gone. Indy and Detroit seem to be the destinations. 

My better half who's a huge NFL fan because she started watching with me several years ago makes the same prediction as you. Heck it's funny sometimes a friend of mine will start talking football and she'll know almost everything about every team and it's kinda embarrassing. But i see it coming every time. Usually the friend starts changing the subject or gets real quiet after a few minutes.

So you may be right because she knows a lot about the NFL as you do, I know this because you are a regular in this thread and I read your posts.

But i disagree. Brady has one more Super Bowl win in him and this is the year. 

Honestly I believe Goodell and NFL wants Patriots vs Vikings for storylines and better ratings.

Not saying fix is in but Jags and Eagles with Bortles vs Foles would tank ratings.

Jags don't have much of a history or national fanbase and Eagles with Foles are not as intriguing as the Vikings and Keenum back home after that miracle play.

As long as Vikings are in they can still sell it with the rare home Super Bowl angle.

I'm going to be real here. Even though Eagles are underdogs I still believe they can win...

BUT... what troubles me is they will have that Jags d waiting for them or the Patriots. And that game could get ugly without having homefield and weather helping.

Vikings at the very least will have most of the crowd and homefield familiarity if they win and will be able to be in the game vs the Jags or Patriots.

This Eagles offence could implode as a road team or even on a neutral field like Minnesota.

I still can't believe the Eagles are 1 win away without 4 of their core players being out.

Franchise QB Carson Wentz MVP candidate

LT Jason Peters( borderline HOF talent)

Darren Sproles still a great punt return guy and 3rd down back would be huge help to offence with changing field position right now

MLB Jordan Hicks emerging young star very good in pass coverage

Edited by Chip Kelly

2 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Honestly I believe Goodell and NFL wants Patriots vs Vikings for storylines and better ratings.

Not saying fix is in but Jags and Eagles with Bortles vs Foles would tank ratings.

Jags don't have much of a history or national fanbase and Eagles with Foles are not as intriguing as the Vikings and Keenum back home after that miracle play.

As long as Vikings are in they can still sell it with the rare home Super Bowl angle.

I'm going to be real here. Even though Eagles are underdogs I still believe they can win...

BUT... what troubles me is they will have that Jags d waiting for them or the Patriots. And that game could get ugly without having homefield and weather helping.

Vikings at the very least will have most of the crowd and homefield familiarity if they win and will be able to be in the game vs the Jags or Patriots.

This Eagles offence could implode as a road team or even on a neutral field like Minnesota.

I still can't believe the Eagles are 1 win away without 4 of their core players being out.

Darren Sproles still a great punt return guy and 3rd down back would be huge help to offence with changing field position right now

I don't see Eagles going any further, without Wentz it difficult. 

Jags are celebrating like they won the superbowl. But they do have the front 4 and it's gonna be tough on Brady. Plus Giants beat Brady and Pats same way with coach Coughlin and he's in Jags mgmt now. He knows how to beat the Pats. 

I've always liked the Vikings, if they win i'm happy. But Pats are the team I wanna see win..

Back in the 80's my uncle lived in Boston. He caught a puck at Bruins game and gave to me on xmas trip. I still have it. I've alway liked the Pats and Celtic, and Bruins until the SCF vs Canucks..... 

Todd Haley gone from Pittsburgh.  

Frankly speaking, I think the Defensive Coordinator, Keith Butler should have been let go. How the hell do you fall behind 21-0 after 1st quarter?  28-7 midway through the 2nd?    Steelers can score but the D has to hold the opponent to a less than 20 pts kind of game.

Edited by Neversummer

I just learned (or remembered) that Chris Long of the Eagles donated his salary for the first 6 games to charity, then basically said F* it and donated his salary for the next 10 games as well. Pretty slick.

Long, who already gave away his first six game checks to fund scholarships for students in his hometown of Charlottesville, Va., announced on Wednesday that he will use his final 10 game checks to launch Pledge 10 for Tomorrow, a campaign that will promote educational equity and opportunity for underserved youth in the three NFL cities he’s played in – Philadelphia, Boston, and St. Louis.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/philadelphia-eagles-chris-long-donated-paychecks-charity-20171019.html

• Upvote 2

On 1/16/2018 at 12:54 AM, WHL rocks said:

Bill Belichick on DHK explains how Jaguars defense is so good

Hannable-Ryan_775x425.jpg?itok=LPeL9B0r
RYAN HANNABLE
JANUARY 15, 2018 - 4:39 PM

On Monday's conference call, Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels acknowledged the Jaguars defense will be the best unit the Patriots have faced all season.

He isn't lying, either.

Jacksonville finished the regular season ranked second in overall defense and second in points allowed, allowing an average of 16.75 points per game. Furthermore, it was outstanding against the pass, allowing an average of 169.9 yards a game, the best in the NFL. 

Appearing on Dale & Holley with Keefe on Monday, Bill Belichick explained what makes the Jacksonville defense so good. He noted the unit keeps things simple and doesn't do much in terms of trying to confuse the opposition.

“Yeah, they are very good at the corner position with [Jalen] Ramsey and [A.J.] Bouye and then [Aaron] Colvin comes in the nickel," he said. "They really only play two defenses — a 4-3 and a 4-2-5, the nickel defense with Colvin coming in and [Paul] Posluszny going out. So, they rotate those front guys and they rush well. They are fast. They are active and there’s some big guys, too. Like [Marcell] Dareus and they have some power in there. They don’t do a lot. They aren’t trying to run a thousand different defenses. They do enough to keep you off-balance and change it up, but what they do, they do well. They are aggressive.”

Added Belichick: “They blitz quite a bit, and they like to zone blitz. They bring everybody. They bring secondary players and inside linebackers and outside linebackers. You don’t want to cut one of those guys loose, but I don’t think it’s a major of mystery of, ‘Oh my God, where are they? What defense are they in?’ They don’t care about that. They want to beat you where they need to be and then play aggressively from there. Blocking them and getting away from the defenders is what we talked about, that is going to be a big challenge. We certainly can’t stand there and hold the ball all day. That won’t work. We’re going to have to make some yards running the ball, but that’s easier said than done, too. You have to block them and they have a lot of hard guys to block, and they are fast. It’s hard to get outside. They do a good job."

That's the kind of response you get from BB when you ask him a football related question. He'll go on and on about someone or a team and you'll get to realize how much knowledge he has about the game and the respect he has for everyone involved 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

I don't see Eagles going any further, without Wentz it difficult. 

Jags are celebrating like they won the superbowl. But they do have the front 4 and it's gonna be tough on Brady. Plus Giants beat Brady and Pats same way with coach Coughlin and he's in Jags mgmt now. He knows how to beat the Pats. 

I've always liked the Vikings, if they win i'm happy. But Pats are the team I wanna see win..

Back in the 80's my uncle lived in Boston. He caught a puck at Bruins game and gave to me on xmas trip. I still have it. I've alway liked the Pats and Celtic, and Bruins until the SCF vs Canucks..... 

Yeah I would not be surprised if Vikings won. Eagles hope is the weather being a factor.

Also Case Keenum is not as good on the road vs home field. Same as their d.

Vikings d gives up around 16 points at home and 80 rush yards per game.

On the road they give up 20 points and in their 3 losses this year they gave up over 100 yards rushing IIRC.

Key is to run the ball well enough to keep the d honest so they just cant squat on the short routes.

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 12:00 AM, Chip Kelly said:

Super Bowl is the Super Bowl. The ratings will be fine regardless of who's in it. It's a "status" and "social" thing to go to Super Bowl parties, and to know what happened to be able to "fit in" at work the next day. I bet the difference between a Pats Vikings SB and a Eagles Jags Sb in viewership is less than a 1-2% difference.

Here's a in depth look at how the Patriots plan to exploit the number one defense on Sunday, and yes the source of the article is hella biasedB)

Spoiler

The Jacksonville Jaguars have the best defense in the AFC and they’re neck-and-neck with the Minnesota Vikings for the best unit in the entire league. They ranked 2nd in points and yards allowed per game and had the best passing defense by a country mile.

But as the New England Patriots prepare to face the Jaguars in the AFC Championship Game, it’s important to highlight that this Jacksonville passing defense is not without a fatal flaw- and that the Patriots are perfectly equipped to exploit it.

According to some incredible research by Sharp Football Analysis, the Jaguars passing defense is the best in the league when teams use three or more wide receivers on the field. They hold opposing quarterbacks to 5.0 yards per attempt and a passer rating of 59. Cleveland Browns quarterback DeShone Kizer finished last in the NFL with a passer rating of 60.5; the Jaguars make opposing quarterbacks look worse than the worst quarterback in the league when playing against three or more wide receivers.

That’s an incredibly high performance level.

But Sharp also discovered that the Jaguars defense plummets to a bottom 10 unit when playing against one or two wide receivers. They rank 28th in yards allowed per attempt at 9.6 and 18th in passer rating at 99. Patriots quarterback Tom Brady had a passer rating of 102.8, for context.

This discrepancy in how the Jaguars defend two or fewer receivers versus three or more is incredible- it’s the difference between making opposing quarterbacks look like Tom Brady or DeShone Kizer- and the Patriots have the personnel to take advantage.

“The Patriots used 11 personnel [3 receivers] the 6th least of any team in the league,” Sharp writes. “They also used 21 personnel [two backs] (the same formation that the 49ers and Jimmy Garoppolo used to torch this defense) more than any team in the league.”

For context, Sharp finds that the most common NFL personnel package is “11” or one running back, one tight end, and three receivers and it’s used on nearly 60% of plays. The Titans, which swept the Jaguars in the regular season, and the Cardinals, which also defeated the Jaguars, use 11 personnel the least in the league at roughly 39%.

Meanwhile a team like the Steelers, which the Jaguars swept in both showing, used 11 personnel the fourth-most in the league.

This makes sense, too. The Jaguars are great against three-receiver sets, but struggle against two-or-fewer-receiver sets, so teams that rely on three receivers will struggle and those that use two or fewer will thrive. The Patriots just happen to be one of those teams that doesn’t rely as heavily on 11 personnel and that’s definitely in New England’s favor.

According to Sharp, the Patriots used a fullback more than any other team in the league at 26% and two tight ends on 15% of snaps, totaling just two receivers on roughly 41% of snaps. And Sharp finds even more advantages for New England when he parses the data.

“[On first and second downs] the Jaguars are quite weak in 12 personnel to WRs, allowing a 60% success rate, 11.7 YPA and a 104 passer rating.” Sharp finds. “On early downs in 12 personnel, the Patriots WRs have posted a 73% success rate, 17.7 YPA and a perfect 158.3 passer rating. It was the best personnel grouping to target WRs from all season for the Patriots.

“On early downs, the Jaguars were very weak against RB targets in the passing game from 11 personnel, allowing a 52% success rate, 6.4 YPA and a 103.9 passer rating. The Patriots delivered almost identical results from 11 to RBs: 51% success rate, 6.3 YPA and a 100.4 passer rating.

“The Jaguars were at their weakest on early downs to TEs from 12 personnel. Jacksonville allowed a 55% success rate, 12.6 YPA and a 99.6 passer rating. As it turns out, passing to Gronkowski in 12 personnel was the Patriots most successful time to target him (from formations with at least 3 targets). Brady posted a 56% success rate, 9.1 YPA and a 126.6 passer rating when targeting Gronkowski on early downs in 12 personnel.”

This means that the Jaguars struggle against two tight end sets on first and second down, allowing opposing quarterbacks to look like 2017 Tom Brady, while the Patriots dominate in 12 personnel on first and second down, with Brady looking like 2007 Tom Brady.

Players like Brandin Cooks and Danny Amendola thrive in two receiver sets, while Dion Lewis, James White, and Rex Burkhead are much more potent as receivers with either James Develin or a second tight end on the field. Even tight end Rob Gronkowski averages nearly two yards more per catch with two receivers versus 11 personnel.

And I would expect Develin to play a large amount of snaps because while this Jaguars to two-receiver sets was buried in the numbers, Jacksonville’s struggles against the run are well documented.

The Jaguars finished 26th against the run by DVOA and ranked 26th in rushing yards allowed per play. The Patriots should definitely try to pressure a Jaguars run defense that gave up yards no matter the formation.

According to Sharp, “in the game’s first 3 quarters, the Jaguars defense gave up a 52% success rate and 5.4 YPC to runs from 11 personnel,” while also noting that “targets to RBs and TEs from 11 personnel have substantially higher success rate, YPA and passer rating” versus passes to wide receivers.

So the takeaways are simple. When the Patriots play three receivers on the field, they should run the ball, throw to Gronkowski, or throw to the running back. But if New England wants to consistently move the ball through the air, then they should use a two-receiver set by adding either Develin or Dwayne Allen and using the play action to counter the aggressive Jaguars linebackers and open up passing lanes down the field.

This is still a great Jaguars defense, of course. But it’s not perfect- and the Patriots are built to exploit the flaws.

https://www.patspulpit.com/2018/1/18/16903330/jaguars-defense-has-a-huge-weakness-that-the-patriots-are-built-to-exploit

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Madness said:

Jaguars vs Eagles (With Foles at QB) SB would definitely have significantly lower ratings.

Not a chance. With Justin Timberlake as the half time show, majority of the viewership won't care who the QB(s) are. And yes, that is because most of the viewership won't be watching because they're avid, hardcore NFL fans. They're watching so they fit in, or see JT, or are at a party.

25 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

That's easy to say now need to do damage control. 

I could see the desire for a Vikings Patriots matchup. You have the good guys versus the bad guys, it would make for a good story haha.

That said, I'm not reading too much into this whole situation, and will just enjoy the ride :P

• Upvote 1