The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

...with FA coming up shortly, hope Pats can sign a WR who can be a regular for Brady to throw too. Not a huge time receiver but someone who can just get the job done and is reliable.

My wishlist in order:

Hakeem Nicks - Giants look lik they won't sign him and this guy would be the perfect fit. Coming off a bad year supposedly even though it was still pretty fair besides him not getting TD's. 26, heading into prime, known for deep threat and can give Brady that solidified player to go to up top.

Riley Cooper - asides from his rep thing, he is a very dependable #2 receiver and has all the tools to make him a threat. 6'3", big frame, not a deep threat type but an all around receiver who can give Brady another option. He's also young at 26 and can give max production heading into his prime and again, underrated for the altercation he had with his rep.

Emmanuel Sanders - same reason Pats wanted him this offseason. Small guy but can run like the wind and let Brady throw it up long and bring that arm to use.

Darrius Heyward-Bay - basically a Hakeem Nicks clone but less proven. Same age, basically same frame and deep threat, but just not as good. Has all the tools but needs to bring it all together and can be a low risk high reward signing if anything with a guy like Brady.

I would not want Heyward-Bay if I was you, he's been around the league long enough to prove he has the catching ability of one handed blind guy. He was an Al Davis pick enough said.

Honestly I'd be quite alright if the Pats acquired no one, and had a horrible season, but I think the Pats should be pursing Decker hard this off-season. A good tall physical outside receiver who can stretch the feild is what I think you really need. I think Nicks is going to Carolina and I don't think you want Riley Cooper as your #1 outside threat.

• Upvote 1

I would not want Heyward-Bay if I was you, he's been around the league long enough to prove he has the catching ability of one handed blind guy. He was an Al Davis pick enough said.

Honestly I'd be quite alright if the Pats acquired no one, and had a horrible season, but I think the Pats should be pursing Decker hard this off-season. A good tall physical outside receiver who can stretch the feild is what I think you really need. I think Nicks is going to Carolina and I don't think you want Riley Cooper as your #1 outside threat.

Nice observations, agree and you think Denver will let Decker walk?

5 more sleeps to the NFL version of Christmas. I am beyond excited. It is bittersweet though, hockey just hasn't been as entertaining this year for me. I can honestly say that this season I have paid more attention to the NFL than the NHL. I never thought I would say that.

Absolute beauty of a game imo.

Love the rivalry because I also like the 49ers - WIN/win situation - (and hard for them to lose a 3rd straight conference championship game) - but love the Seahawks, their approach to the game, their coach, and the fact they're our neighbors.

Congrats - and hope you dismantle Manning.

You mean besides the one they won last year that sent them to the Superbowl?

Nice observations, agree and you think Denver will let Decker walk?

I think they will, or I think Decker will want out or atleast test the open market. I know he had a good season, but he burried there and Peyton won't keep continuing to put up numbers like that, so I'd expect he wants to explore other options where he might play a much larger role in the offense.

Couple other wr's that I think Pats should look at would be James Jones, if GB lets him go. Or Brandon LaFell, that one is obv a bit more riskier, but for some reason that just seems like that could be a good fit to me

3 play callers in 3 years and a 3 defensive co ordinators in three year.. Colin cowherd said it best. The Dallas cowboys are the most disfunctial team in football. They are the Oakland raiders with a nice stadium.

So I saw Shefter tweet you guys hired someone as a 'Passing Game Coordinator'. I've never heard of that job before, how is that suppose to work, you have two OCs? Or has Jerry just lost it?

So Delanie Walker was interviewed on a radio show today and said that the Titans had about 6 guys who were locker room cancers.

Speaking on The Midday 180 from Nashville, Walker picked up on a message he sent during the season when he said "cancers" in the locker room needed to be identified and removed.

"When we started losing more games, we got to see it more and more, it was just like it was falling apart," he said. "And the players that were the cancer were dragging other players into that box with them, and the box was getting bigger and bigger. At first, it was just a small box. The box just got bigger and bigger.

"Everybody [saw] it. So I feel like these coaches are going to come in, they're going to watch film and they're going to see. They're going to see what type of players that want to be here and don't want to be here, and he's going to get rid of them. I feel that's what type of coach [recently hired coach Ken Whisenhunt is]."

The Titans started 3-1 but then fell apart, losing eight of their next 10 games, including a home loss to the then-winless Jacksonville Jaguars. Tennessee finished 7-9 in the terrible AFC South and fired coach Mike Munchak a week after the season ended.

I'm wondering who these players are, it's tough to know since we don't get any coverage of them over here. Only 2 guys I could guess would be Kenny Britt and Chris Johnson.

Tom Brady Voted Most Clutch Quarterback In The NFL

Tom Brady isn’t playing in this Sunday’s Super Bowl, but if he was, most of the NFL would want him under center for their team. In ESPN.com’s NFL Nation Confidential anonymous player survey, Brady gained the most votes in which quarterback certain players would want on their team with the Super Bowl on the line, which is an extremely accurate assessment. Aside from maybe Joe Montana, there hasn’t been a more clutch quarterback in the history of this league, and even though he hasn’t won a championship since 2004, he has been to two more, and provided plenty of clutch heroics.

Brady received 128 votes, while Peyton Manning came in second, with 86 votes (survey had 320 total votes). Brady and Manning were followed by Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Ben Roethlisberger, and finally, Eli Manning. I think this list is decent, but in my mind, it would go like this.

1) Brady

2) Roethlisberger

3) Rodgers

4) Peyton

5) Brees

Roethlisberger gets overshadowed at times, because this past decade has been dominate by Brady and Manning, but he is a terrific playoff quarterback, and if I can’t have Brady, I want Big Ben. As for Rodgers over Peyton, until Manning proves that he can get it done in the biggest of moments, I have to give the edge to Rodgers. If this were a regular season poll, Brady and Manning would be tied at the top, but since this is based on who would you want in the Super Bowl, I can’t place Peyton higher than four right now.

Brady still got that Joe Cool like clutchness. Haters gonna hate.

Edited by TheRussianRocket™

And on a side note, Elway himself said even if Peyton wins the SB, it won't mean he's the greatest QB of all time. I loved what he said, that there will always be a discussion (about who's the GOAT) between a number of QB's but no definite GOAT and that's how it is.

...and gotta feeling Lynch will go crazy come game day. Feeling a big game from his and Seattle defense. Peyton plays average/good, not great/excellent, his receivers make some key catches but ultimately Hawks will win.

Anyone have an over-under for how long it'll take Percy to get injured? I'm saying 2nd quarter he's done.

Tom Brady Voted Most Clutch Quarterback In The NFL

Brady still got that Joe Cool like clutchness. Haters gonna hate.

For the record, I like both quarterbacks [Manning and Brady] because they are both great. If I had to pick one for the playoffs, based on history, I pick Brady. All of my distaste for the Patriots stems from my dislike of everything Boston, save for Boston Sours, and New England Clam Chowder.

Brady is a great quarterback. That is not even arguable.

But that list is bullsht. No way in hell does anyone in the history of the NFL pick Aaron Freakin Rodgers over Peyton Manning, ever.

Roethlisburger and Manning tie for second IF Manning wins Sunday. As much as I respect him for coming back from 4 neck surgeries and having a phenomenal year, I don't think he beats the Seahawks defense. At least. I don't want him to.

Defense and Lynch = Superbowl. Looking forward to another Sherman interview.

Cooper and Maclin most likely will re-sign in Philly. They know how good the offence can make them look.

Cooper is nothing more than a #3 wr who is a red zone threat because of his size.

I could see the Patriots signing Sanders and drafting a TE. There are murmurs the Patriots will cut Amendola and use his money to give to Edelman.

Blount is also a free agent probably won't be back.

...with FA coming up shortly, hope Pats can sign a WR who can be a regular for Brady to throw too. Not a huge time receiver but someone who can just get the job done and is reliable.

My wishlist in order:

Hakeem Nicks - Giants look lik they won't sign him and this guy would be the perfect fit. Coming off a bad year supposedly even though it was still pretty fair besides him not getting TD's. 26, heading into prime, known for deep threat and can give Brady that solidified player to go to up top.

Riley Cooper - asides from his rep thing, he is a very dependable #2 receiver and has all the tools to make him a threat. 6'3", big frame, not a deep threat type but an all around receiver who can give Brady another option. He's also young at 26 and can give max production heading into his prime and again, underrated for the altercation he had with his rep.

Emmanuel Sanders - same reason Pats wanted him this offseason. Small guy but can run like the wind and let Brady throw it up long and bring that arm to use.

Darrius Heyward-Bay - basically a Hakeem Nicks clone but less proven. Same age, basically same frame and deep threat, but just not as good. Has all the tools but needs to bring it all together and can be a low risk high reward signing if anything with a guy like Brady.

Also I would think New England goes after a guy like Kenny Britt who has talent to be a #1 receiver but has lost his focus. It could be another low risk/high reward signing just like how they got Talib and were able to make him buy in.

Plus Bellichick loves guys from Rutgers. I would not be surprised if Kenny Britt is somewhere near the top of the Patriots list who will come cheap because he is a risk but has a chance to offer greater rewards.

For Heybard-Bey he has speed but no hands. He was supposed to be what Mike Wallace and Denarius Moore are.

Nicks has been injury prone much like Maclin.

Another real interesting who could go on the market is Sidney Rice. Seattle may be forced to cut him to sign Golden Tate. Plus they already have big money on Harvin.

Cooper and Maclin most likely will re-sign in Philly. They know how good the offence can make them look.

Cooper is nothing more than a #3 wr who is a red zone threat because of his size.

I could see the Patriots signing Sanders and drafting a TE. There are murmurs the Patriots will cut Amendola and use his money to give to Edelman.

Blount is also a free agent probably won't be back.

I agree with pretty much everything you said and it wouldn't surprise if that Pats did do that. But I just don't get why go for Sanders. I mean to me he's a slot receiver, he makes most of his plays in the middle of the feild. They have that in Edlemen already, they love their TEs. So how many inside playmakers do you need when the only outside threats really is Dobson and Thompkins.

Again I wouldn't be surprised if what you said comes true, but to me it doesn't make sense, and would seem the money would be better spent on someone big and can stretch the feild out both width-wise and length-wise. Like a Decker, Jones, Britt etc. I'd leave Syndey Rice of that list but just because I think his body has been through too much, he's just not the same.

I agree with pretty much everything you said and it wouldn't surprise if that Pats did do that. But I just don't get why go for Sanders. I mean to me he's a slot receiver, he makes most of his plays in the middle of the feild. They have that in Edlemen already, they love their TEs. So how many inside playmakers do you need when the only outside threats really is Dobson and Thompkins.

Again I wouldn't be surprised if what you said comes true, but to me it doesn't make sense, and would seem the money would be better spent on someone big and can stretch the feild out both width-wise and length-wise. Like a Decker, Jones, Britt etc. I'd leave Syndey Rice of that list but just because I think his body has been through too much, he's just not the same.

I agree he is a slot guy. But has enough speed to catch passes in the mid-range of the field. They showed interest in him last off-season so that is a definite possibility.

I also really think they might sign Kenny Britt. He is a bigger body and from Rutgers who has the talent to be a true #1 receiver g if he can get focused.

Also the Carolina Panthers is another team who badly need another guy besides Steve Smith and should sign either Hakeem Nicks or Sidney Rice if he is cut.

Edited by Chip Kelly

And on a side note, Elway himself said even if Peyton wins the SB, it won't mean he's the greatest QB of all time. I loved what he said, that there will always be a discussion (about who's the GOAT) between a number of QB's but no definite GOAT and that's how it is.

...and gotta feeling Lynch will go crazy come game day. Feeling a big game from his and Seattle defense. Peyton plays average/good, not great/excellent, his receivers make some key catches but ultimately Hawks will win.

Still sounds like you are butthurt that broncos beat the patriots. Peyton plays average/good??? And then you go on and on and on about Brady like he is a god

3 play callers in 3 years and a 3 defensive co ordinators in three year.. Colin cowherd said it best. The Dallas cowboys are the most disfunctial team in football. They are the Oakland raiders with a nice stadium.

As long as Jerry Jones keeps thinking he is the best man for the G.M. position they are going to continue to be a mess. They do generate more revenue than any other team in the NFL so its hard to argue with that side of things.

• Upvote 1

I agree he is a slot guy. But has enough speed to catch passes in the mid-range of the field. They showed interest in him last off-season so that is a definite possibility.

I also really think they might sign Kenny Britt. He is a bigger body and from Rutgers who has the talent to be a true #1 receiver g if he can get focused.

Also the Carolina Panthers is another team who badly need another guy besides Steve Smith and should sign either Hakeem Nicks or Sidney Rice if he is cut.

Ya my bet is on Carolina signing Nicks, he is from there it seems like that would make sense. Then I'm not sure what Carolina will do with Brandon LaFell, and I am somewhat interested in that, because I just have a hunch if he was put into the right situation he could be steal of free agency and be a very solid number 2. I'd say I hope San Diego lands him, but I think he think we will gamble with Danario Alexander again

Ya my bet is on Carolina signing Nicks, he is from there it seems like that would make sense. Then I'm not sure what Carolina will do with Brandon LaFell, and I am somewhat interested in that, because I just have a hunch if he was put into the right situation he could be steal of free agency and be a very solid number 2. I'd say I hope San Diego lands him, but I think he think we will gamble with Danario Alexander again

I'm not a San Diego fan so I could be incorrect, but from an outsider perspective if you guys have all your receivers healthy that's a pretty good group, wouldn't your money in free agency be spent better elsewhere?

You already have Keenan Allen who will only get better still, Eddie Royal, and Vincent Brown. And then you have both Danario Alexander and Malcolm Floyd, two guys who are pretty damn good who barely played if at all this year because of injury.

Again maybe these guys aren't as good as I think they are, but to me that's already 5 pretty good receivers