The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

With Manning and his Pro Bowl set of receivers doing nothing yesterday, I wonder if this influences Belichick to use the money on the defensive side of the football this off season. Getting to the AFCCG with Edelman, half an Amendola, a quarter of a Thompkins, and three quarters of a Dobson was impressive. With Seattle showing that defense is more important than offense, I wouldn't be opposed to resigning Talib + another shut down corner, and get some damn pass rushers.

Its entirely possible BB does do that, I mean that certainly how they won those 3 Superbowls in the 2000s. But as a Pats fan are you not just begging for a good wideout(like a true deep threat that can make some plays along the sidelines) after so many years of just missing that one piece

Its entirely possible BB does do that, I mean that certainly how they won those 3 Superbowls in the 2000s. But as a Pats fan are you not just begging for a good wideout(like a true deep threat that can make some plays along the sidelines) after so many years of just missing that one piece

When we did have that one piece, the defensive line of the Giants won them the game (and a fluke football getting stuck in the face mask of Tyree catch). Whatever the situation, it's always something on the defense that prevails.

If I had the choice between Brady throwing 5500 yards and 55 TD's but giving up 300 yards a game to opposing QB's, or Brady throwing for 4000 yards, 30 touchdowns but holding the other team to less than 250 passing yards a game, I'd choose the latter.

When we did have that one piece, the defensive line of the Giants won them the game (and a fluke football getting stuck in the face mask of Tyree catch). Whatever the situation, it's always something on the defense that prevails.

If I had the choice between Brady throwing 5500 yards and 55 TD's but giving up 300 yards a game to opposing QB's, or Brady throwing for 4000 yards, 30 touchdowns but holding the other team to less than 250 passing yards a game, I'd choose the latter.

Thats fair, I was just curious. Defense does win championships, I just prefer good offense myself, think its a bit more fun to watch, and it is certainly possible to win a Superbowl with a good offense and mediocre defense. Also I don't think the Pats defense is pretty good, I would satisfied if I was a fan anyways.

It should be interesting to see how Seattle moves forward, they certainly have a lot of free agents and a lot of guys who are due for a huge raise

Thats fair, I was just curious. Defense does win championships, I just prefer good offense myself, think its a bit more fun to watch, and it is certainly possible to win a Superbowl with a good offense and mediocre defense. Also I don't think the Pats defense is pretty good, I would satisfied if I was a fan anyways.

It should be interesting to see how Seattle moves forward, they certainly have a lot of free agents and a lot of guys who are due for a huge raise

Of course I would love to watch a fun offense. Even this year, I had a lot of fun watching the Pats on O. Then again, I'm very biased and just love to watch Brady play football. But the Lombardi is the goal every season, and will take a slightly more boring offense for a tighter defense and hopefully get ring #4.

If Seattle can't sign Thurmond, I really hope Belichick takes a good run at him. Would love to have him opposite Talib.

If Seattle can't sign Thurmond, I really hope Belichick takes a good run at him. Would love to have him opposite Talib.

Sorry I think San Diego needs his help a bit more lol. Same with Browner he'd be an interesting free agent providing he can put the scrips down..ugh March 11 can't come soon enough!

Edited by pdc

A lot of their free agents this year aren't exactly key players or irreplaceable though a few will be tough to let go. The real acid test will be next year when the likes of Wison and Sherman are up for renewal. That being said Seattle has become a desirable place to play and players are taking discounts to play there. Kind of like the Canucks in 2010-2011. They treat their players right and provide perks like personal chefs ,state of the art facilities, and a loose atmosphere, not to mention a winning culture, so if players decide to walk they probably wont have too much trouble finding replacements.

Their current roster is also made up of what were thought to be fringe players, late round picks, and undrafted players so it's not that far fetched to think that Schneider could do it again and fill any holes left by free agents using the same methods that worked before. Along with this, players like Bennett have stated they would like to remain Seahawks so they may take not have to look too far for discount players to fill roster spots.

The Seahawks with the youngest team to ever win a superbowl have a legit chance at a repeat performance and a dynasty the likes of which the NFL has not seen in a long time. I've waited almost 30 years to see one of my teams win a championship (the Supersonics in 79 don't count as I was only 3) and feels good to think they might be able to do it again and for some time to come.

Also like to say this for those defending Peyton and saying he couldn't do anything, it wasn't his fault, O-line gave up and Seattle D was too good, etc:

Peyton gets all the credit and none of the blame, he has more weapons than any qb and still can't get the job done.

Plain and simple. A win = he's a legend, a loss = not his fault. Not even that, yea it was true his o-line let down but so did Wilson's...he made time and room for him using his footwork and still get it done numerous times. The greats get it done bottom line and Manning never. And don't forget the ducks he threw...lucky he got a TD since it came during garage time anyways. Big no show IMHO.

Edited by TheRussianRocket™

A lot of their free agents this year aren't exactly key players or irreplaceable though a few will be tough to let go. The real acid test will be next year when the likes of Wison and Sherman are up for renewal. That being said Seattle has become a desirable place to play and players are taking discounts to play there. Kind of like the Canucks in 2010-2011. They treat their players right and provide perks like personal chefs ,state of the art facilities, and a loose atmosphere, not to mention a winning culture, so if players decide to walk they probably wont have too much trouble finding replacements.

Their current roster is also made up of what were thought to be fringe players, late round picks, and undrafted players so it's not that far fetched to think that Schneider could do it again and fill any holes left by free agents using the same methods that worked before. Along with this, players like Bennett have stated they would like to remain Seahawks so they may take not have to look too far for discount players to fill roster spots.

The Seahawks with the youngest team to ever win a superbowl have a legit chance at a repeat performance and a dynasty the likes of which the NFL has not seen in a long time. I've waited almost 30 years to see one of my teams win a championship (the Supersonics in 79 don't count as I was only 3) and feels good to think they might be able to do it again and for some time to come.

I am not so sure on the dynasty part, honestly first time I heard someone say I laughed in their face. After thinking about its not so far fetched but I would certainly wait for that 2nd title before mentioning that word. Here is my reasoning in my thinking anyways, you are right this year isn't so important interms of who they might be losing, next year and the year after will be the tough years.

The problem I see is not that maybe a player won't take a discount there, but right now its just that so many of players are so far off what they should be making. For instance, Earl Thomas, who in my opinion is the best safety in the league and is hugely undervalued by most fans. Without him I think that secondary falls to average to good, but he's making what 1-2 million right now? He will be the highest paid safety at I'd guess around the 12 per year range, Sherman will be around the same, that will definately impact their depth, which was a major strength. Also it may cause some causilties like losing Lynch, which sounds like real possibility he's either cut this year or next.

The question becomes whether they can find cheap replacements, they certainly did before. But I also recall a few years back being a db over 6' was considered a weakness. I remember hearing about guys and people saying oh he's 6'2" he's too tall to make it as a cb in the NFL. Seattle was the adnomolly and selected them. Well thats no longer the case, now that they won the SB, a lot of teams are going to be trying to copy their blueprint. So they may have some trouble finding those role players now that other GMs are essentially going to try to copy and steal their moves. I don't doubt Seattle is desirable place to play, but for some reason I trust NFL players less than say the NHL, I think in general they realize how short their careers are and will cash out if given the chance.

I basically equate them to the 2010 blackhawks, they are certainly well on their way but I am going remain on the skeptical right now for this whole dynasty talk

• Upvote 1

Just wanted to let ya'll know that I've been a Seahawks fan since day 1 baby!

Marshawn Lynch and Richard Sherman were the best 1st round picks this organization ever made.

So glad that dude Percy Harvin got to play in 1 game this year, what a steal he was drafting him so late cause no one wanted him cause of his injury.

This is gonna be such a good year. My team wins the super bowl, the Olympics, my basketball team the Miami Heat have a good shot at winning the title, and my hockey team the Chicago Blackhawks also have a great shot at winning the Stanley Cup.

;)

Seriously though, sincere congratulations to the few, true Hawks fans in this thread like pimpcurtly and Joey, and there's another I can't think of right now off the top of my head.

I stayed away from the SB48 thread because everyone from Canucks Talk migrated into it as Seahawks fans.

It's just funny how many Seahawks jerseys I saw around campus yesterday. Just wanted to mess with all of them and ask them questions such as "So, Lynch turned out to be a pretty good draft pick eh?"

But at the same time, I understand the same thing would happen/did happen in '11 with the Canucks in the finals.

Time to start talking draft!

I was cheering for the Seahawks NPF, but my main team is the Bills, so you certainly wouldn't have fooled me with the Lynch "draft pick" routine... :)

Funny thing is, as great as he's been in Seattle, Buffalo hasn't really missed him. Jackson and then Spiller have done very well. The Bills' problems (and there are many) lie elsewhere.

Thanks NPF. Its been a crazy few days for sure...I've been pretty much glowing since Sunday. Yes lots of bandwagon Hawks fans recently but I think 2011 Nucks cup run severly trumped with bandwagoners...at least where I am. So many people who we cheered with in 2011 couldn't even tell you who the coach is this year. That's just how it is, people wanna be part of something special...which this season truly was for the Hawks and 12s.

I just wanna know where Canucks_fo_life is?? Wouldn't shut up about the Ravens last year and now the Hawks win and he is MIA. Pretty sure I saw him whinning on twitter about the Seahawks media coverage...hypocrite??

Seahawks super bowl champs has an awesome "ring" to it!! And no more "how many rings??" jokes when I wear my jersey out!!! Wooot!!! Gunna soak this one up.

But I really don't think anyone should be talking dynasty. Heard that word come up quite a bit now but I hate hearing it. Yes this team is geared to be good for a time....still getting out of the NFC is a battle and you can bet niners are pissed, possible injuries, etc etc....way to many variables to be even close to dynasty talk.

Edited by pimpcurtly

Brady needs a deep threat like the Sedins need a sniper. Failure to get either is just wasting thier talents.

0-3 in the superbowl for Wes Welker, good.

Chokefest for Manning, good.

Superbowl win for a franchise that's never won it, good.

All in all a good game.

Now the worst part about waiting for the NFL season to start is getting inundated with all things CFL.

Brady needs a deep threat like the Sedins need a sniper. Failure to get either is just wasting thier talents.

0-3 in the superbowl for Wes Welker, good.

Chokefest for Manning, good.

Superbowl win for a franchise that's never won it, good.

All in all a good game.

Now the worst part about waiting for the NFL season to start is getting inundated with all things CFL.

From a neutral point of view of a fan of the game of football, that was not a good game. For Seahawks fans, it was the greatest game ever played. For Broncos fans, it was the worst game ever played. For the rest of the football loving fans, it was a snooze fest. I missed the half time show cause I changed the channel to watch Fight Club since the game was 23-0 or something and then got so into the movie I forgot about the game until the 4th quarter lol

From a neutral point of view of a fan of the game of football, that was not a good game. For Seahawks fans, it was the greatest game ever played. For Broncos fans, it was the worst game ever played. For the rest of the football loving fans, it was a snooze fest. I missed the half time show cause I changed the channel to watch Fight Club since the game was 23-0 or something and then got so into the movie I forgot about the game until the 4th quarter lol

While I agree with you that from a nuetral standpoint, the game probably sucked. But, believe it or not, I have heard a few people in the biz say they really enjoyed the clinic put on by the Seahawks. A game plan really couldn't be executed more perfectly.

Edited by pimpcurtly