The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

While I agree with you that from a nuetral standpoint, the game probably sucked. But, believe it or not, I have heard a few people in the biz say they really enjoyed the clinic put on by the Seahawks. A game plan really couldn't be executed more perfectly.

Have to agree with that. Any defensive oriented coach would have loved that game. That was the definition of a perfect defense. Well, almost perfect, they did give up one touchdown ;) haha

But the average NFL fan likes excitement and suspense. There's something spectacular about the champion being decided on the last drive/play of the game. The ball is up in the air, it's gotta travel 45 yards down field, if they catch it, they win, if not, the other team wins. There's a build up and then burst of excitement (for example, watching Vinatieri kick a game winner) or anger and heart (Tyree stick the ball in his helmet/ Welker drop a game winning TD).

Have to agree with that. Any defensive oriented coach would have loved that game. That was the definition of a perfect defense. Well, almost perfect, they did give up one touchdown ;) haha

But the average NFL fan likes excitement and suspense. There's something spectacular about the champion being decided on the last drive/play of the game. The ball is up in the air, it's gotta travel 45 yards down field, if they catch it, they win, if not, the other team wins. There's a build up and then burst of excitement (for example, watching Vinatieri kick a game winner) or anger and heart (Tyree stick the ball in his helmet/ Welker drop a game winning TD).

Can't believe you didn't use niners seahawks as an example!! :P Some of the finishes you get in football are what sets it apart from other sports, IMO. Unfortunately the super bowl often doesn't live up to the hype(especially this year, #1 O vs #1 D, Manning, Sherman). I know I'm bias but I thought it was an amazing game, Pete Carroll said it, "nothing was going to stop them." And correct me if I'm wrong but if the super bowl is any indication, it seems the AFC and NFC are on different levels right now. Wondering your thoughts on this.

Can't believe you didn't use niners seahawks as an example!! :P Some of the finishes you get in football are what sets it apart from other sports, IMO. Unfortunately the super bowl often doesn't live up to the hype(especially this year, #1 O vs #1 D, Manning, Sherman). I know I'm bias but I thought it was an amazing game, Pete Carroll said it, "nothing was going to stop them." And correct me if I'm wrong but if the super bowl is any indication, it seems the AFC and NFC are on different levels right now. Wondering your thoughts on this.

Ya the AFC isn't that good at the moment compared to the NFC, last year it wasn't even close. It will balance out again in time, but ya it was pretty evident by just looking at who made the playoffs. San Diego got the final wild card spot, and on the NFC side you had Arizona just miss it. Coming from a San Diego fan, Arizona would've crushed us.

Its hard to say how it will be next year since we haven't had free agency yet or the draft but yeah NFC will probably be better still, especially the NFC West. That division is just so good, even St Louis, the worst team in that division, is a pretty good team especially with the 2nd and 13th pick in this years draft. Its def good to see because it wasn't that long ago that division was the joke of the NFL.

Edited by pdc
  • Upvote 1

it seems the AFC and NFC are on different levels right now. Wondering your thoughts on this.

I would have to agree with you. No defense in the AFC can compare with that of the Seahawks, Panthers, and I'll even throw in the 49ers in there. On the other side of the ball, few NFC QB's pose the threat through the air that guys like Brady and Manning do. However, the overall level and depth of talent favors the top NFC teams right now when compared to the top AFC teams.

Now, of course, an off season can change a lot in the NFL. Teams can go from pretenders to contenders with a solid 5 out of 7 draft rounds and one or two key FA signings. Teams can also go from top contenders to middle of the pack by losing a few pieces from the previous season. But I think when the season starts up again in September, it will be the top AFC teams putting up big stats on the offensive side of the ball, and it'll be the top NFC teams putting up crazy defensive numbers.

I can't wait till the 49ers play the Seahawks next year. This year they are going to be gearing up specifically to beat Seattle.

So fun to watch two watch two teams that are so similar hate each other.

I just wonder how will Seattle motivate themselves now that they are no longer an underdog and everyone is coming after them.

Will they use the everything and anything in the media to have that chip on their shoulders?

• Upvote 1

I can't wait till the 49ers play the Seahawks next year. This year they are going to be gearing up specifically to beat Seattle.

I just wonder how will Seattle motivate themselves now that they are no longer an underdog and everyone is coming after them.

Will they use the everything and anything in the media to have that chip on their shoulders?

Also for anyone wondering Seattle dominated because they said they knew Manning's audibles from watching tape.

Edited by Chip Kelly

Also for anyone wondering Seattle dominated because they said they knew Manning's audibles from watching tape.

Niners are going to be coming for blood against the Seahawks. I just hope they can get the passing game fired up in time for next season.

Niners are going to be coming for blood against the Seahawks. I just hope they can get the passing game fired up in time for next season.

I just hope the Eagles can keep improving and within another 2 off season's become legit contenders to compete with the Seahawks,49ers, Panthers, Saints etc.

You can't win in the NFC if you can't play d. The AFC is way more weaker compared to the NFC.

I would not at all be suprised to see Tampa Bay surprise people and have a Carolina like turnaround started by Lovie Smith turning the defence into a top 10 dominating unit.

• Upvote 1

I would have to agree with you. No defense in the AFC can compare with that of the Seahawks, Panthers, and I'll even throw in the 49ers in there. On the other side of the ball, few NFC QB's pose the threat through the air that guys like Brady and Manning do. However, the overall level and depth of talent favors the top NFC teams right now when compared to the top AFC teams.

Now, of course, an off season can change a lot in the NFL. Teams can go from pretenders to contenders with a solid 5 out of 7 draft rounds and one or two key FA signings. Teams can also go from top contenders to middle of the pack by losing a few pieces from the previous season. But I think when the season starts up again in September, it will be the top AFC teams putting up big stats on the offensive side of the ball, and it'll be the top NFC teams putting up crazy defensive numbers.

The reason why the NFL draft will ALWAYS be better than the NHL draft.

Edited by Green Building

Brees and Rodgers put up big offensive stats in the NFC. They pose a huge threat through the air similar to Brady and manning. Top 4 QBs in the NFL by most peoples view and they are split between conferences. Overall QB level is probably even between the conferences.

Edited by Madness

The reason why the NFL draft will ALWAYS be better than the NHL draft.

To be fair, the NFL draft is mainly made up of guys who've already spent 4 years in College and are in their early 20's. NHL teams draft teenagers who (with a few exceptions) are not sufficiently developed physically, or mentally to play at the highest level.

• Upvote 1

To be fair, the NFL draft is mainly made up of guys who've already spent 4 years in College and are in their early 20's. NHL teams draft teenagers who (with a few exceptions) are not sufficiently developed physically, or mentally to play at the highest level.

That is very fair, and I would be an idiot not to agree. The NFL draft can make teams contenders based on exactly those things.

I just hope the Eagles can keep improving and within another 2 off season's become legit contenders to compete with the Seahawks,49ers, Panthers, Saints etc.

You can't win in the NFC if you can't play d. The AFC is way more weaker compared to the NFC.

I would not at all be suprised to see Tampa Bay surprise people and have a Carolina like turnaround started by Lovie Smith turning the defence into a top 10 dominating unit.

I think Tbay is going to surprise as well. They just need their run game to be more consistent and the wins will start coming. Your Eagles are closer than you than you think Chip. They need to make a move or 2 on defense and they will be destroying WSH, DAL and NYG.

Your pure logic is frying minds :D

Edited by Mr.DirtyDangles
  • Upvote 1

Brees and Rodgers put up big offensive stats in the NFC. They pose a huge threat through the air similar to Brady and manning. Top 4 QBs in the NFL by most peoples view and they are split between conferences. Overall QB level is probably even between the conferences.

I don't know. Speaking purely stats wise at the end of the season (passing yards and TDs) I agree. But when a team has the Saints or Packers down by double digit points with 5 minutes left in the game, they aren't going to be as afraid of losing the game as a team that has Manning or Brady down by double digit points with 5 minutes left. One thing I've noticed is both Brees and Rodgers try to get the quick score on the big play by forcing bad, deep throws, whereas Manning and Brady surgically go down the field, no huddle, and talk to their receivers using worded codes or hand signals.

Brady, P. Manning and Belichick have been golfing together at Pebble Beach this week. Brady actually hit an Eagle today on the course. The three of them have also been hanging out together. Pretty awesome/cool that the two best QB's of this era, and the best sports rivalry of the past decade, hang out as "just the guys" away from the NFL.

Though something tells me Sherman and Crabtree won't ever be golfing together

I think Tbay is going to surprise as well. They just need their run game to be more consistent and the wins will start coming. Your Eagles are closer than you than you think Chip. They need to make a move or 2 on defense and they will be destroying WSH, DAL and NYG.

I think they can handle the division too. But the NFC playoffs will be another story. Love your sig by the way. :lol:

Looking forward to talking combine with you and everybody in here.

This draft class is deep with receivers and corners. Pretty much what everybody wants in the new passing league.

No more run of boring picks like last year that was the majority of the first round on the o-line and d-line.

Love the NFL draft. Like everyone has said other leagues draft guys and wait for them to develop in farm systems and lower leagues.

The NFL has guys who like men instead of boys. I still can't behind Nugent-Hopkins is an NHL er. He looks and has the body of a 16 year old.

Edited by Chip Kelly

I don't know. Speaking purely stats wise at the end of the season (passing yards and TDs) I agree. But when a team has the Saints or Packers down by double digit points with 5 minutes left in the game, they aren't going to be as afraid of losing the game as a team that has Manning or Brady down by double digit points with 5 minutes left. One thing I've noticed is both Brees and Rodgers try to get the quick score on the big play by forcing bad, deep throws, whereas Manning and Brady surgically go down the field, no huddle, and talk to their receivers using worded codes or hand signals.

I think you are really undervalueing Brees and Rodgers. They do go for longer shots than Brady or Manning but I think that has a lot to do with who is around them. Brady has no deep threats and I would suspect their playbook is designed around stretching the feild width-wise to open up inside running lanes and the occasional deep ball. Manning just has a bad arm, and their playbook just based off of a lot of screens, short passes and yards after the catch. Where Rodgers and Brees do have deep threats they can use, which is why it appears they're playbook is more designed to stretch the feild length-wise to help open up the short plays. Just different philosphies really, can't really say which waay better as they all seem to do quite well.

That being said if you're down by double digits and 5 minutes remaining I think you are in pretty good hands with any of those qbs. I don't think anyone more concerned if they are playing Brady or Manning than if they were playing Rodgers. Heck I'd go one step farther and say Rodgers is the better QB. He still needs to accomplish a lot still before I can make any arguement , but I'd say by the time his career is over, providing he continues playing how he has, he will be considered more of a complete qb than those 2