The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

On 2/9/2016 at 0:03 PM, TheRussianRocket. said:

Cam is the man. Frack all the people/media who want him to act like every white QB. He's who he is and doesn't care.

...funny how some Seahawks fans here are giving him crap for leaving the media session as he overheard Broncos players beside him but at the same time backed beast for all the antics he did near the end of his career. Contradictory as they say :lol: 

Newton defends actions after Super Bowl

http://www.tsn.ca/newton-defends-actions-after-super-bowl-1.435515

I'd defend those actions if I was the goat that cost the team the game.

14 hours ago, Heretic said:

Newton defends actions after Super Bowl

http://www.tsn.ca/newton-defends-actions-after-super-bowl-1.435515

I'd defend those actions if I was the goat that cost the team the game.

Do you really think that Cam was the one that cost his team the game?

He didn't have a stellar game, it's true, however, I'd point to a number of factors that contributed equally, if not moreso to the loss.

Lousy offensive scheme from Mike Shula. Okay, I understand starting the game with the same strategy that got you out to early leads against Seattle and Arizona, but once it becomes clear that the Broncos were prepared for that scheme (and it should have been clear by half time, at the latest) it behooves you to try something different. The QB option worked on the one occasion they tried it, as did the quick slant on the infrequent occasions it was attempted. I saw zero screens from the Panthers.

Time and again, instead of attempting plays that would slow down the rush from Miller and Ware, we saw Cam in the 5 step drop, looking 20 yards down field and throwing to a receiver that on this particular day, was as likely to drop the ball as catch it.

Poorly coached game by the Panthers staff, IMHO.

Did I mention the drops from Panthers' receivers? I shouldn't have to. There were enough for even the greenest of football fans to understand that the ball hit the turf far more often than should happen to a Superbowl team.

Protection? What protection. I love Michael Oher as a player and I am reluctant to place blame on the O-line, because as I said earlier. most of the blame lies in the offensive scheme that relied far too heavily on Oher and co. keeping the Broncos off Newton's back. However, Cam was under far too much pressure that entire game to be effective.

Finally, I am loathe to blame the officials, but that PI call that clinched the victory was weak.

Cam wasn't good, but there was plenty of blame to go around.

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

He didn't have a stellar game, it's true, however, I'd point to a number of factors that contributed equally, if not moreso to the loss.

Lousy offensive scheme from Mike Shula. Okay, I understand starting the game with the same strategy that got you out to early leads against Seattle and Arizona, but once it becomes clear that the Broncos were prepared for that scheme (and it should have been clear by half time, at the latest) it behooves you to try something different. The QB option worked on the one occasion they tried it, as did the quick slant on the infrequent occasions it was attempted. I saw zero screens from the Panthers.

Time and again, instead of attempting plays that would slow down the rush from Miller and Ware, we saw Cam in the 5 step drop, looking 20 yards down field and throwing to a receiver that on this particular day, was as likely to drop the ball as catch it.

Did I mention the drops from Panthers' receivers? I shouldn't have to. There were enough for even the greenest of football fans to understand that the ball hit the turf far more often than should happen to a Superbowl team.

Protection? What protection. I love Michael Oher as a player and I am reluctant to place blame on the O-line, because as I said earlier. most of the blame lies in the offensive scheme that relied far too heavily on Oher and co. keeping the Broncos off Newton's back. However, Cam was under far too much pressure that entire game to be effective.

Finally, I am loathe to blame the officials, but that PI call that clinched the victory was weak.

No.  That loss is solely on Cam.  Sorry.  If he went for that fumble instead of jumping back - then I wouldn't blame him.

But that attitude is reflective of his entire play.  Up until then, they still had a chance - but obviously he didn't have what it takes to be a champion.  It was the last game of the year - he should have done whatever he could and taken the punishment.  I'm not saying he would have gotten that ball if he went for it, but he should have tried.  The team gave up after that - you could see it.

I don't "blame" their O-Line at all. Bottom line was, the Broncos defense was just spectacular - they did the same thing to the Patriots.  Difference was - Brady didn't roll over like a little school girl - he got hit more times in that game then he has in a long long time.  

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Super Bowl LXVI

tor.gif&h=110&w=110

Toronto Argonauts 26, New York Giants 23
March 14, 2032 - Telepathic Media Networks Stadium, New York

"It's never too early to predict the next 25 Super Bowl champions"

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14747408/super-bowl-50-history-why-not-predict-next-25-super-bowl-winners?ex_cid=espnfb

20 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

k. Totally disagree that any one player can be solely responsible for a loss, but whatever you say...

Okay, I'm being too harsh, you're right that he can't be the only one blamed - but I say he's the biggest part of it.

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yes, that was a horribly executed offensive gameplan.

Not just the pocket dwelling that did not make use of one of Newton's most deadly weapons - his legs - but also the repeated first down attempts to ram the ball down the heart / inside of Denver's O-line - with repeated fails, and kept going to it.  Frustrating to watch even if you're not a Carolina fan. 

All the talk of the greatest quarterbacks got me to thinking about a player / type of player that never comes up and probably never will in the conversation, but this game really made me think of a guy like Doug Flutie.

So much is made of how 'intelligent' Peyton Manning is - and yet, I've seen repeated performances where he literally manages one opening drive and then gets absolutely owned for the duration of the game.  Who was he outsmarting?  Granted, he has reduced options at this stage of his career, but if the 'most intelligent quarterback' question is raised, imo a player like Doug Flutie remains one of the most under-rated players in history - obviously in large part due to being overlooked and spending the majority of his career up here.  But even in his short stint in the NFL, imo, he practically revolutionized the game south of the boarder.

Flutie was a brilliant play caller.  Very difficult to find a comparable in this sense.  Guys like Russell Wilson these days have the opportunity to mirror the kind of game Flutie called (and is blessed with an extremely intelligent coaching staff....)  Flutie always had the D questioning / uncertain what he was going to do - and he didn't need to be looking to the sidelines for direction - he was an elite field general.  Would come at the D with screens, quicks, inside/outside, would roll left, right, draw you in and burn you deep, throw in the odd quarterback sneak, opened the field up for everyone from his running back to slotbacks, WRs.... Literally used every inch of the field and practically always had the opponent off balance.  He wasn't 6'5", he wasn't extremely fleet footed, but he was accurate and exceptionally intelligent imo.

When he left the CFL and joined the Bills - he was already 36 years old - but turned that team from a 6-10 also-ran to a playoff team.  One of the worst moments in football history for me was Wade Phillips brutal decision to sit Flutie in the playoffs (1998), after he took a 1-3 team to 9 wins in 11 games - absolutely transformed the Bills on a dime - and Phillips went back to Johnson.  Disgusting.  Extremely disrespectful and ended up in the deserved result.  In any event, the NFL was nowhere near as interesting a brand of football as it became in those years.   The uber-boring and cookie cutter NFL (with a few exceptions) learned some variation and opened the doors to the odd shorter, mobile quarterback (...and black quarterbacks in the post Warren Moon era)....

Flutie didn't have much opportunity to show what he was capable of at that point - but his ability to stretch the field and bring an absolutely diverse and unpredictable offensive approach was nothing short of elite - possibly the greatest of all time in that sense.  He's relatively an afterthought in the conversation - but I found some irony in the fact that Carolina gift-wrapped their schmemes for Wade Phillips.   The Panthers shoulda thrown some Flutie at him.  

So much to learn from him / and the wealth of video he left behind.

I have nothing but mad respect for him.  And moreover, he's a class act.  Continued to pay his respects to the CFL after moving on -stand up enough to come up north and make appearances at games.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Yes, that was a horribly executed offensive gameplan.

Not just the pocket dwelling that did not make use of one of Newton's most deadly weapons - his legs - but also the repeated first down attempts to ram the ball down the heart / inside of Denver's O-line - with repeated fails, and kept going to it.  Frustrating to watch even if you're not a Carolina fan. 

All the talk of the greatest quarterbacks got me to thinking about a player / type of player that never comes up and probably never will in the conversation, but this game really made me think of a guy like Doug Flutie.

So much is made of how 'intelligent' Peyton Manning is - and yet, I've seen repeated performances where he literally manages one opening drive and then gets absolutely owned for the duration of the game.  Who was he outsmarting?  Granted, he has reduced options at this stage of his career, but if the 'most intelligent quarterback' question is raised, imo a player like Doug Flutie remains one of the most under-rated players in history - obviously in large part due to being overlooked and spending the majority of his career up here.  But even in his short stint in the NFL, imo, he practically revolutionized the game south of the boarder.

Flutie was a brilliant play caller.  Very difficult to find a comparable in this sense.  Guys like Russell Wilson these days have the opportunity to mirror the kind of game Flutie called (and is blessed with an extremely intelligent coaching staff....)  Flutie always had the D questioning / uncertain what he was going to do - and he didn't need to be looking to the sidelines for direction - he was an elite field general.  Would come at the D with screens, quicks, inside/outside, would roll left, right, draw you in and burn you deep, throw in the odd quarterback sneak, opened the field up for everyone from his running back to slotbacks, WRs.... Literally used every inch of the field and practically always had the opponent off balance.  He wasn't 6'5", he wasn't extremely fleet footed, but he was accurate and exceptionally intelligent imo.

When he left the CFL and joined the Bills - he was already 36 years old - but turned that team from a 6-10 also-ran to a playoff team.  One of the worst moments in football history for me was Wade Phillips brutal decision to sit Flutie in the playoffs (1998), after he took a 1-3 team to 9 wins in 11 games - absolutely transformed the Bills on a dime - and Phillips went back to Johnson.  Disgusting.  Extremely disrespectful and ended up in the deserved result.  In any event, the NFL was nowhere near as interesting a brand of football as it became in those years.   The uber-boring and cookie cutter NFL (with a few exceptions) learned some variation and opened the doors to the odd shorter, mobile quarterback (...and black quarterbacks in the post Warren Moon era)....

Flutie didn't have much opportunity to show what he was capable of at that point - but his ability to stretch the field and bring an absolutely diverse and unpredictable offensive approach was nothing short of elite - possibly the greatest of all time in that sense.  He's relatively an afterthought in the conversation - but I found some irony in the fact that Carolina gift-wrapped their schmemes for Wade Phillips.   The Panthers shoulda thrown some Flutie at him.  

So much to learn from him / and the wealth of video he left behind.

I have nothing but mad respect for him.  And moreover, he's a class act.  Continued to pay his respects to the CFL after moving on -stand up enough to come up north and make appearances at games.

Every time I see Phillips, I think of his benching of Flutie and I get pissed off all over again.

I have said this many times and I still maintain to this day, if Flutie starts that game against the Titans, the Music City Miracle never happens. (It was a forward lateral anyway)

BTW: Didn't Flutie execute a successful drop kick that season? I'm pretty sure I remember it and most of the players on the field had no idea what had just happened.:lol:

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Jiggs50 said:

FB_IMG_1455222336905.jpg

Such a dumb meme. Peyton is almost a 20 year vet who had one of he highest paid WRs groups in the league. And Tom was a backup who stepped in and didn't even play the entire playoffs who had one of the clutchest drives in history.

...and Brady threw more TDs in last years SB than Peyton has in all 4 of his SB appearances. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Such a dumb meme. Peyton is almost a 20 year vet who had one of he highest paid WRs groups in the league. And Tom was a backup who stepped in and didn't even play the entire playoffs who had one of the clutchest drives in history.

...and Brady threw more TDs in last years SB than Peyton has in all 4 of his SB appearances. 

Idk why both New England fans and Brady haters need to nitpick "stats" to support or attack each other.

Yes Brady missed time during that postseason (Not much to really make a difference maybe could have gotten the TD that Bledsoe got when he subbed in for an injured Brady in the postseason) and was his rookie season.

Peyton is 39 years old and still can't feel the tips of the fingers. being a 20 year old vet is more of a negative than a plus. Highest paid WRs don't mean anything when they play badly and money =/= skill. Gronkowski > Thomas even though Gronk is paid less.