The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

Michael Vick owns dog again, he confirms in statement

http://www.nfl.com/n..._headline_stack

Michael Vick didn't intend to tell the world that he owned a dog. He just intended to tweet out a picture of his family.

This being 2012, though, someone noticed the picture included a box of dog biscuits in it. That led to the question about whether or not the Philadelphia Eagles quarterback now owned a dog. He initially wasn't allowed to do so after serving 18 months in prison on dogfighting charges, but now he can.

Vick didn't want to discuss the issue Wednesday.

"I'm here to strictly talk about football," Vick said.

One day later, he released a statement on the matter.

"I understand the strong emotions by some people about our family's decision to care for a pet," Vick said. "As a father, it is important to make sure my children develop a healthy relationship with animals. I want to ensure that my children establish a loving bond and treat all of God's creatures with kindness and respect. Our pet is well cared for and loved as a member of our family. This is an opportunity to break the cycle. To that end, I will continue to honor my commitment to animal welfare and be an instrument of positive change."

This isn't a subject we expected to ever write about again. We hope it doesn't any re-ignite angry voices that want to legislate Vick's life years after he served his time for his crime.

Follow Gregg Rosenthal on Twitter @greggrosenthal.

Not sure how I feel about Vick having a dog, but I am happy to see that since getting out of jail he has really committed to being a better person.

Edited by Crom!

Michael Vick owns dog again, he confirms in statement

http://www.nfl.com/n..._headline_stack

Michael Vick didn't intend to tell the world that he owned a dog. He just intended to tweet out a picture of his family.

This being 2012, though, someone noticed the picture included a box of dog biscuits in it. That led to the question about whether or not the Philadelphia Eagles quarterback now owned a dog. He initially wasn't allowed to do so after serving 18 months in prison on dogfighting

charges, but now he can.

Vick didn't want to discuss the issue Wednesday.

"I'm here to strictly talk about football," Vick said.

One day later, he released a statement on the matter.

"I understand the strong emotions by some people about our family's decision to care for a pet," Vick said. "As a father, it is important to make sure my children develop a healthy relationship with animals. I want to ensure that my children establish a loving bond and treat all of God's creatures with kindness and respect. Our pet is well cared for and loved as a member of our family. This is an opportunity to break the cycle. To that end, I will continue to honor my commitment to animal welfare and be an instrument of positive change."

This isn't a subject we expected to ever write about again. We hope it doesn't any re-ignite angry voices that want to legislate Vick's life years after he served his time for his crime.

Follow Gregg Rosenthal on Twitter @greggrosenthal.

Not sure how I feel about Vick having a dog, but I am happy to see that since getting out of jail he has really committed to being a better person.

Vick has really tried to do all he can to change himself. He has constantly tried to show people he is a changed person.

If people can move past a person killing someone, they can surely move past a guy getting caught up in what goes on in the hood.

He's done his time and paid his debt to society and continues to be an advocate for PETA.

People should have no problem with him owning a dog. Like he said it's for him to rehabilitate his past

with dogs and teach his children to not make the same mistakes he made.

People can criticize for his qb skills but really need to get off his back over the dog fighting.

Edited by Terry Crews

Vick has really tried to do all he can to change himself. He has constantly tried to show people he is a changed person.

If people can move past a person killing someone, they can surely move past a guy getting caught up in what goes on in the hood.

He's done his time and paid his debt to society and continues to be an advocate for PETA.

People should have no problem with him owning a dog. Like he said it's for him to rehabilitate his past

People can criticize for his qb skills but really need to get off his back over the dog fighting.

This. This 100%.

I'm a pretty big Vick fan myself, but I know that some people truly believe he shouldn't have been given a second chance after what he did.

I only posted that because I found it interesting, not to display any hatred. Like I said, I'm very happy with how he turned his life around.

I personally forgive but never forget. I think he is doing all the right things and wholly support him in getting a new dog. It's pretty obvious that he is a changed man, and that's all anyone can ask of him.

But he is never going to shake the dog fighting, no matter how hard you try to defend him. He just has to live with it.