The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

Roger Goodell should be embarrassed that this wife beater is allowed to even have a press conference where he tries to make himself look like a victim.

I bet Josh Gordon wants to know how pot = 1 year ban , but knocking out your wife on camera = 2 games.

Absolutely despicable. And the fans cheering Rice on at training camp, you should all be ashamed of yourselves.

I just don't understand how contracts don't mean bupkis in the NFL.

If the team and player agree to a 5 year deal, the player and the team should both have to honour it for the full 5 years (barring a buy out, trade, etc.), no?

The whole restructuring/cutting thing literally means that their contracts have zero long-term credibility. Everything could very well just be an arbitrary number minus what they are given as a guarantee.

Unless I'm missing something? I've looked into it a little and haven't found anything to make me believe otherwise.

If the team and player agree to a 5 year deal, the player and the team should both have to honour it for the full 5 years (barring a buy out, trade, etc.), no?

The whole restructuring/cutting thing literally means that their contracts have zero long-term credibility. Everything could very well just be an arbitrary number minus what they are given as a guarantee.

Unless I'm missing something? I've looked into it a little and haven't found anything to make me believe otherwise.

It actually forces the players to play harder, knowing the team can restructure or just cut them with minor implications...

Perfect example of a guy who in 10 years will be bankrupt.

Because a guy who made 10 million dollars last year buys a car that cost less than half a million, he's going to go bankrupt?

I disagree. As obnoxious and stuck up Marshawn has appeared over the last few months, I see him as a guy with a smart head on his shoulders who will be financially healthy.

• Upvote 1

It actually forces the players to play harder, knowing the team can restructure or just cut them with minor implications...

Oh I'm sure it does, but if both the player and the team agree on a 5 year contract, it seems ridiculous to me that after 1 off year the team can just say "screw that" and just disregard the last 80% of the contract. If they're going to go out and offer a multi year deal, they should have to take on the risks that come with it.

Oh I'm sure it does, but if both the player and the team agree on a 5 year contract, it seems ridiculous to me that after 1 off year the team can just say "screw that" and just disregard the last 80% of the contract. If they're going to go out and offer a multi year deal, they should have to take on the risks that come with it.

Look at the NHL. So many players slack off after they sign a big contract. If they aren't playing up to the level of the contract they signed they should be able to be cut and lose it.

Look at the NHL. So many players slack off after they sign a big contract. If they aren't playing up to the level of the contract they signed they should be able to be cut and lose it.

So then what's the point of even signing a long-term deal? There's zero security in it.

And if it works like that, then why is Lynch being fined for holding out when he wants to restructure? If he feels he's playing above the level of the contract he signed, shouldn't he be able to demand more money?

To me it really just seems like a ploy for franchises to be able to maximize profit, while leaving the players in the dust.

Edited by Jägermeister

You have it all wrong....

The only difference between the NHL and NFL contracts are that they are not guaranteed. This means that yes, a team may cut a player at any point during his tenure; that kills the contract, they cannot just restructure whenever they feel. If a player is cut, he becomes a FA and can sign anywhere. Most teams will not do this unless they are willing to part ways with the player; except in cases where it is a mutual thing (this would have been the case if Lynch had his way).

Now, you ask what is the point of long term deals; this is where signing bonuses and incentives come in. Most players receive a large chunk of their contract when they sign in the form of signing bonuses. For example, Lynch received 6 million in signing bonuses, money that he keeps no matter what.

So yes, contracts sometimes seem arbitrary in the world of no guarantees, but that is why agents and players ask and demand signing bonuses to protect their players from being cut down the road and their contract voided.

The only difference between the NHL and NFL contracts are that they are not guaranteed. This means that yes, a team may cut a player at any point during his tenure; that kills the contract, they cannot just restructure whenever they feel. If a player is cut, he becomes a FA and can sign anywhere. Most teams will not do this unless they are willing to part ways with the player; except in cases where it is a mutual thing (this would have been the case if Lynch had his way).

Now, you ask what is the point of long term deals; this is where signing bonuses and incentives come in. Most players receive a large chunk of their contract when they sign in the form of signing bonuses. For example, Lynch received 6 million in signing bonuses, money that he keeps no matter what.

So yes, contracts sometimes seem arbitrary in the world of no guarantees, but that is why agents and players ask and demand signing bonuses to protect their players from being cut down the road and their contract voided.

Bang on!

That's why there's guaranteed money

Ravens vs Packers Superbowl.

Arizona wins their division

Redskins make the playoffs

Kapernick has an off year

Jaguars are competitive (close games)

Eli take the int crown again

Bengals and Dalton stink it up

Pittsburgh makes the playoffs

Anyone else with any bold predictions!?

You stole my bold prediction!! Except I have Arizona winning the super bowl

I suppose the signing bonus/guaranteed money being larger for long term deals makes sense as incentive, but I guess I just find the whole ability to cut players who are under contract odd.

Edited by Jägermeister

Ty Law just got inducted into the Pats HOF - great event.

Many of the older guys showed up and was lots of fun watching live. Mr.Kraft telling some hilarious stories as well - quoting Law from '05 when displeased w/ contract offer: "You guys are out of your mind. Don't you know who I am? I'm Ty Effing Law." :lol:

...also, Law would have been SB36 MVP (pick 6) if they didn't weigh in fan vote for the 1st time. Has the media voted like traditionally, Law would receive MVP honours.

Alright, so this fantasy league is my first ever for football. Can somebody please PM me a strategy for what picks to use on what positions? Like which positions are worth the most points wise?

I play fantasy league on ESPN and usually the RB's get you most points followed by WR's and then QB's. Usually save the D/ST and K for the end.

I don't know if you're on ESPN or not, so it might be different.

I play fantasy league on ESPN and usually the RB's get you most points followed by WR's and then QB's. Usually save the D/ST and K for the end.

I don't know if you're on ESPN or not, so it might be different.

A really good D can get you a bunch of points too, but ya normally save them for later on. Regardless I always draft a K last, even after all my bench spots are filled.