The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

That would be no reason to hold them back. Also they are -4 in turnover ratio which isnt good but it will not kill you. They have the best QB in AFC and the defense has been doing amazing past 5 weeks. They have argubly the 2nd best defensive player in game as well in Von Miller.

As far as balance goes in terms of defensive and offensive consistency I would go Houston, Baltimore, Denver in AFC with Baltimore and Denver being close.

Also there are no teams that anyone should be really scared in AFC. Each team has its own flaws. Houstons the closest to flawless team but Patriots are no where close. There pass defense is terrible and there defense overall is pretty bad. Yeah there offense is scary but if you have a defense that can limit them a bit and a decent offence you have a good chance. That is why so many Patriots games are so close (this week and the first game with Buffalo being the exception).

Also I laugh when all the Patriots homers predict them to win super bowl. There is no way in hell that this Patriots team wins the super bowl.

Their ranked 6th vs the run, 7th most sacks, and lead the NFL in interceptions. You're a typical Patriots hater, it's cool. Most of your posts in here are bashing the Pats in one way or another, I'd suggest a hobby. I look forward to reading your many defensive replies to this. Oh, and ps: I'm sure most people will predict their team to win the Super Bowl at the beginning of the season, and if they're in a playoff position, then later on. I don't know what kind of fan would go against his own team. I predict the Canucks to win the Cup at the beginning of every season just cause that's what I'm hoping for.

It's people like you who last year kept saying there was no way the Patriots would make it to the Super Bowl, just limit their offense and they'll collapse, the Ravens and Steelers and Texans are all gonna get farther than them because they're more well rounded blah blah blah. Guess what, they and that sh*tty defense made it to the Super Bowl and were 1 welker drop away from winning. Look at what a back up QB did to the Texans defense today. Anything can happen. So while you laugh at Pats fan who are wanting their team to the win at the end, we'll laugh at your narrow mind.

Enjoy ranting about the Pats kid.

Anyways, I'm glad we have a run game this season. Had Gronk been hit with an injury last season, it would have been disastrous. But I have a feeling we'll be fine this year, especially with Hernandez coming back now and Edelman beginning to contribute more and more.

Edited by NucksPatsFan

Their ranked 6th vs the run, 7th most sacks, and lead the NFL in interceptions. You're a typical Patriots hater, it's cool. Most of your posts in here are bashing the Pats in one way or another, I'd suggest a hobby. I look forward to reading your many defensive replies to this. Oh, and ps: I'm sure most people will predict their team to win the Super Bowl at the beginning of the season, and if they're in a playoff position, then later on. I don't know what kind of fan would go against his own team. I predict the Canucks to win the Cup at the beginning of every season just cause that's what I'm hoping for.

Enjoy ranting about the Pats kid.

Anyways, I'm glad we have a run game this season. Had Gronk been hit with an injury last season, it would have been disastrous. But I have a feeling we'll be fine this year, especially with Hernandez coming back now and Edelman beginning to contribute more and more.

Predicting is supposed to involve some logic and being realistic. Even right now, I would not predict the Broncos to win the Super Bowl because they have not shown me enough to be a super bowl team. You know how stupid you sound when you say you predict the Canucks to win the cup every year because that is what you hope for. Only irrational people or blatant homers base predictions on what they hope for. Hoping and predicting are completely different things.

All the ranting about facts was countered by that absolutely dumb statement. Also here is a fun fact.

The Patriots have allowed 20+points in 8 of ten games. Is that really indicative of an "almighty defense".

The Patriots total defense rank (measured by yards per game) is #27 in the league.

They allow 22.5 half points per game which is the 2nd worst among teams in the playoffs if the playoffs were to start today. The only team worse is the colts

3rd down completion percentage by Patriots opponents is highest for any team that is in the playoffs right now in the AFC.

There yards per play allowed of 4.9 is tied for worst in the AFC in terms of teams currently in the playoffs (again with the Colts).

Total points allowed (225) is 2nd worst among AFC playoff teams.

So basically every key category for defense the Patriots are doing terrible when compared to teams that are currently in playoffs in AFC. If you really want I can compare all of this to the rest of the AFC or the league but I thought it would be best to go with current playoff teams since that is usually a good barometer plus NFL.com only ranks total defense. Everything else I have to do manually.

Edited by canuckbeliever

Don't pay much attention to the ranks of defenses. Broncos raped the #1 D and then got absolutely tooled by the 30th last years playoffs. Hopefully it has just taken this long for their own D to "click" rather than later be inconsistent. I am hopeful though, the secondary looks sooooooo much better than last year. No more getting picked apart when the pass rush is struggling. The Pats D really stepped up last years playoffs, there isn't much in this world i enjoy more than watching the Pats lose, but they already have stomped Denver and I really want the Broncos D to be tested again before playoffs. No one left on their schedule is worth their salt.

@ Canuckbeliever, saying Von Miller is the 2nd best D player in the league is ridiculous..... Swatt can shuv it, Von is #1!

Seriously though the dude is not human. He is a QB sack/strip machine sent back in time to prove Cam's #1 overall pick a mistake.

Predicting is supposed to involve some logic and being realistic. Even right now, I would not predict the Broncos to win the Super Bowl because they have not shown me enough to be a super bowl team. You know how stupid you sound when you say you predict the Canucks to win the cup every year because that is what you hope for. Only irrational people or blatant homers base predictions on what they hope for. Hoping and predicting are completely different things.

All the ranting about facts was countered by that absolutely dumb statement. Also here is a fun fact.

The Patriots have allowed 20+points in 8 of ten games. Is that really indicative of an "almighty defense".

The Patriots total defense rank (measured by yards per game) is #27 in the league.

They allow 22.5 half points per game which is the 2nd worst among teams in the playoffs if the playoffs were to start today. The only team worse is the colts

3rd down completion percentage by Patriots opponents is highest for any team that is in the playoffs right now in the AFC.

There yards per play allowed of 4.9 is tied for worst in the AFC in terms of teams currently in the playoffs (again with the Colts).

Total points allowed (225) is 2nd worst among AFC playoff teams.

So basically every key category for defense the Patriots are doing terrible when compared to teams that are currently in playoffs in AFC. If you really want I can compare all of this to the rest of the AFC or the league but I thought it would be best to go with current playoff teams since that is usually a good barometer plus NFL.com only ranks total defense. Everything else I have to do manually.

I didn't say they had an almighty defense. I'll be the first to admit we have the most horrendous secondary. My point was you can look at stats all you want, we're ranked 27th in defense? I think we were dead last last season and still made it to the Super Bowl. My point was that this team has enough talent and playmakers on Both sides of the ball to make a run and that its not an absurd or crazy thought to have an opinion regarding the patriots having a shot. I'm sure the Jaguars were destined to get destroyed by Houston today if we went off season stats and projections but they too proved that a team with playmakers can give a top ranked team a tough battle and embarrass their top ranked defense (Houston defense had negative fantasy points today).

Only reason I "attacked" your post is cause you write off the Pats like they're the Jets.

Don't pay much attention to the ranks of defenses. Broncos raped the #1 D and then got absolutely tooled by the 30th last years playoffs. Hopefully it has just taken this long for their own D to "click" rather than later be inconsistent. I am hopeful though, the secondary looks sooooooo much better than last year. No more getting picked apart when the pass rush is struggling. The Pats D really stepped up last years playoffs, there isn't much in this world i enjoy more than watching the Pats lose, but they already have stomped Denver and I really want the Broncos D to be tested again before playoffs. No one left on their schedule is worth their salt.

@ Canuckbeliever, saying Von Miller is the 2nd best D player in the league is ridiculous..... Swatt can shuv it, Von is #1!

Seriously though the dude is not human. He is a QB sack/strip machine sent back in time to prove Cam's #1 overall pick a mistake.

I think it is a very important category. What screwed over the Broncos was the amount of defense they had to play due to Tebow. Now with Manning, time of possession tends to go the way of the Broncos instead of a 2 or 3-1 ratio the other way. A lot of the guys have also said that time of possession killed them last year. Eventually they ran out of gas.

I think for Patriots fans what should scare them is the fact that Brady and his offence play a lot and the time of possession swings there way virtually every game yet there fully rested defense still does average to terrible. This is a fully rested defense that lays eggs constantly.

Also I think its close and I could see why you see Von Miller as better than Watt. And I do agree with you that I want to see a couple more tests for the defense though in the 5 game win streak they have had some ok tests.

They were lights out against Brees and his offence. Also San Diego and Cincy have decent offences. Not great but they are average. I am really looking forward to the games against Baltimore and Tampa. Those games will indicate how great the team is and specifically the defense.

Need to get past Kansas City first though next week

I think it is a very important category. What screwed over the Broncos was the amount of defense they had to play due to Tebow. Now with Manning, time of possession tends to go the way of the Broncos instead of a 2 or 3-1 ratio the other way. A lot of the guys have also said that time of possession killed them last year. Eventually they ran out of gas.

I think for Patriots fans what should scare them is the fact that Brady and his offence play a lot and the time of possession swings there way virtually every game yet there fully rested defense still does average to terrible. This is a fully rested defense that lays eggs constantly.

Also I think its close and I could see why you see Von Miller as better than Watt. And I do agree with you that I want to see a couple more tests for the defense though in the 5 game win streak they have had some ok tests.

They were lights out against Brees and his offence. Also San Diego and Cincy have decent offences. Not great but they are average. I am really looking forward to the games against Baltimore and Tampa. Those games will indicate how great the team is and specifically the defense.

Need to get past Kansas City first though next week

Lol yea, still can't believe they ain't played KC yet. As close to a guarantee as it gets in this league.

As far as last years defence i wouldn't say they got worn down at all, yea they were on the field a lot, but that's what happens when you run the ball for 3 quarters. More damage was done through ground and pound to the opponents D than our own, especially at home. Denver's D, like it's Offense, stepped up huge late in games, they weren't gassed they were clutch. That was really their whole identity. Denver's O was very conservative and almost always left the D with a long field to defend. It was the 1st half vs the Pats that they allowed 5 td's despite only 1 midfield turnover. Now, Peyton, well he's gonna throw some picks with his style of play, today the O gave up 9 points. It doesn't kill the D personally, but give any decent opposing offense that kind of back up and look out. Good thing Rivers is a plug and throws like a girl.

I don't like rankings because they lack context, the offense dictates the D so much. A high power passing team that puts up lots of points can afford to take high risk/reward plays on defense. Their D's will tend to rank high in pass rush and turnovers due to the risks the opponent takes and the fearlessness of blitzing players pinning their ears back. These D's will allow a ton of yards and in turn points, dropping their ranks, but as long as their offense does it's job they're golden. We saw this with the Pats, Packers and Saints D last year. Broncos have already lost 3 "shootouts" I like to think the Broncos are better today, but a front heavy schedule still worries me, especially if we are lookin at a wildcard bye week. Tampa and Baltimore will be a decent match, but not the "match-up" I really want to see.

I don't really have an argument of Von over Watt, but screw it im allowed to be homer and it's close enough to go either way.

Edited by CanucksSayEh

Putting a suggestion box for your guys thoughts on the Eagles I want the perspective of fans of other teams because I'm perplexed. :sadno:

What do you think is wrong with the Eagles?

Should they clean house or tweek the roster.

Are they underachieving based on their talent level or are they just overrated?

overrated to a degree, dont use Mccoy anywhere near enough and i have never been a fan of vick. That being said they need a new coach

Sometimes I think it'd be a lot more fun to be a fan of a team who starts out average and then strings some wins here, a loss here and there and you don't know if they're going to make the playoffs until the final week, and it turns out they do. It would be a cool feeling to feel that relief of "yes we're in!" instead of having a path paved to the division title every season. It kinda happened when Cassell had to play for the year, but not really, since we didn't make the playoffs. Eg. Tony Romo will be ecstatic if the Cowboys make the wildcard or possibly even the division title whereas Pats, Packers, Ravens, Falcons fans will know in a couple week that hey we're gonna make the playoffs now lets just try to get the home field advantage.

Putting a suggestion box for your guys thoughts on the Eagles I want the perspective of fans of other teams because I'm perplexed. :sadno:

What do you think is wrong with the Eagles?

Should they clean house or tweek the roster.

Are they underachieving based on their talent level or are they just overrated?

Biggest issue is that offensive line IMO.

Also, probably time for a coaching change. The players aren't responding and aside from their Super Bowl run, Andy Reid hasn't gotten them to glory. Maybe a change of pace will work. But yah, this season's a complete write-off.

Haha no thank you. I think we should be fine with Lance Ball and Ronnie Hillman, I really like Hillman. Plus denver offensive line has always been great at run blocking. You could put me in there and I would get some decent yards lol

Still not like it was in the Shanahan days where that wouldn't actually be a joke, but yes Ball and Hillman should be fine.

Yeah I really think the Eagles have so many problems they don't know where to begin to start fixing them.

My biggest problem is with the o-line and play calling of the offence. Throwing the ball 40 times a game is not a recipe for success.

They need to get balance offensively.

Most of all they need a new head coach to come in and fix problems with an unbiased view. Also the wide 9 d-line scheme has been a total failure. It worked last year but teams have adjusted.

It just seems the Eagles coaches starting with Reid refuse to make adjustments to their long held coaching philosophies.

The d-line is one of the most expensive in the league yet they can't get any pressure on opposing qb's to help out the secondary.

I just hope they can save some face and not get embarrassed on national tv again in the next 2 games. :picard:

Edited by Terry Crews