The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

I think he would suuckkkkkk so much in the CFL. Tebow needs his 3rd down. I think most NFL qb's would stink it up here. There is a big market for QB's right now though. Cardinals, Philly, Jags, Chiefs all have crap. Oakland and Chargers may be looking for a change. Pittsburgh has constantly been screwed by the lack of a quality backup ( i think this is Tebows best fit, him and Ben have lots of similarities and he could step in nicely should he get hurt). Green Bay showed interest, Bellichick was never shy about liking Tebow at the Draft, If Mcmidget gets a HC job there's a chance he may seek out his former 1st round pick. Ponders leash is getting shorter in Minnesota, Tebow and Harvin back together with AP is a tempting combination. The Viking also reportedly had interest in drafting him which is why Mcmidget moved up in the 1st.

Someone will give him a shot. He needs to lose some weight though, he's gotten slow and more awkward. Jets turned him into a fridge. Drop down to 230, sweat the short game and footwork. Kick some butt in camp.

The credibility of your post was automatically lost when you said that.

CFL is QB driven, a very different game. Plenty of NFL players that haven't cut it or wouldn't adapt well.

PS; Woot, just opened my new orange Peyton Manning Jersey from mom n dad for my bday. Also have a Reebok blue Champ and white Eli. Von Millers next!

Edited by CanucksSayEh

"Rex Ryan is an idiot. Fingers the crowd, acts like a 12 year old when his team scores (sometimes - at least I remember when in the playoffs he ran down the sidelines and taunting the opposition)...No...he's not a good coach at all....I'm a Pats fan, and to be honest, the Jets are a pretty good team - it's the players, not Ryan that got them the few successes they've had. "

Rex Ryan is not an idiot, like I said. He made the defense into an elite group. That defense is the reason the Jets have had any success, that and a solid running game.

Hasn't Bellichick used foul language before? Didn't Brady swear at Bills fans? Who cares man.

The decision to let veterans like Alan Faneca, Thomas Jones, LT, were all decisions made from upstairs by the GM and not from Rex. Letting go of Braylon Edwards and Jerricho Cotchery, two receivers had tremendous chemistry with Mark, in favor of keeping Holmes - again a move made from GM. Tebow? Obviously wasn't Rex's call! These were moves that had a negative impact on the team. It's not the players, there is no depth on this team. The offensive line has steadily got worse. Mike Tannebaum has always been hailed as a good salary cap manager, his ridiculous contract to Sanchez hurts this team big time and he needs to be let go.

I'm not even gonna address the "Taunting" comment because it's fairly baseless...do you rip Brady when he taunts opponents? No. Because football is a competitive sport, these coaches and players are competitive. Nor do I care when Brady taunts, if he scores/wins...he has every right to taunt. Plus, Pete Carroll takes the money on taunting.

Again, and I can't stress this enough. The talent level on the Jets just isn't there. Honestly, if they end up 8-8, it will be a miracle. There is no depth on this team.

I'm sure this is the "running down the sideline" game you were referring to since it was against the Patriots and given the knowledge you display of the Jets its about the only time you actually watch them play. So yeah, you were wrong. HE didn't taunt anyone here.

For the record, I don't like it when ANY player taunts an opponent or crowd, or shows disrespect in any form. As a youth football coach I am the one that has to try to stop my 12 year olds from pretending they are wearing a championship belt, or doing a salsa dance after a TD. So don't tell me I think it's fine when Brady or anyone else does it (you know I'm not a Pats fan right?).

My problem with Rex Ryan is that he is too much in the spotlight. He has to be. He can't get through a full season without creating some controversy by being overconfident in his average-at-best team, calling out others teams or players, or just being an arrogant ass. Is he an "idiot" in terms of football knowledge? Of course not. If he could control his ego and need to be in the limelight, he could be a good coach too. But he himself is too much of a distraction to his own team. Reminds me so much of Brian Burke, and why as brilliant as he is at many things in the business of hockey, he will always get in his own way.

As for that last clip, I don't think I've ever seen it before, but I've honestly never seen a coach run into the endzone and celebrate a TD with his players. Seems like a good example of the above.

CFL is QB driven, a very different game. Plenty of NFL players that haven't cut it or wouldn't adapt well.

PS; Woot, just opened my new orange Peyton Manning Jersey from mom n dad for my bday. Also have a Reebok blue Champ and white Eli. Von Millers next!

I do think Tebow would struggle, but I don't think there are many starting QB's in the NFL that wouldn't be able to start and be successful in the CFL. The ones that might are the ones with the weakest arms. In the CFL you have to be able to throw it hard to the sidelines (which is much wider than in the NFL) and you have to be able to throw it deep. I think guys like Cassel, Sanchez, and Fitzpatrick might not seen much more success in the CFL than in the NFL.

I do think Tebow would struggle, but I don't think there are many starting QB's in the NFL that wouldn't be able to start and be successful in the CFL. The ones that might are the ones with the weakest arms. In the CFL you have to be able to throw it hard to the sidelines (which is much wider than in the NFL) and you have to be able to throw it deep. I think guys like Cassel, Sanchez, and Fitzpatrick might not seen much more success in the CFL than in the NFL.

The arm strength is definitely where i would see the biggest problem, also game managers and checkdown artist. I think anyone that doesn't have a playmaking mentality would have trouble due to the lack of downs. 3-4 yards just aint gonna cut it. Cassel & Sanchez would be my first 2 examples as well. A guy like Ponder too who barely cracks double digit passing yards and has a bit of a noodle arm.

Now Tebow has a cannon, but I think his running talents would be wasted. He is next to unstoppable though when teams back off, the bigger field and the gained seperation of recievers could be a lethal combo.

On Rex Ryan, I don't think he looks for the spotlight. He embraces it a bit, but every HC, hell every athlete needs a certain swagger. Every team has preseason fights (Pats are famous for em) and players that step outta line, coaches say dumb stuff or make bold statements. The Jets just get hammered with it when they do though. The Giants are pretty much left alone, Carolina player guarantees a SB and it gets a brief footnote, Cromartie promises a win vs the Phins and its the NFL headline for a week. He certainly knows his x's n o's, still not sure about him as a HC. Don't like his clinging to Sanchez even though he has a clear better option.

The arm strength is definitely where i would see the biggest problem, also game managers and checkdown artist. I think anyone that doesn't have a playmaking mentality would have trouble due to the lack of downs. 3-4 yards just aint gonna cut it. Cassel & Sanchez would be my first 2 examples as well. A guy like Ponder too who barely cracks double digit passing yards and has a bit of a noodle arm.

Now Tebow has a cannon, but I think his running talents would be wasted. He is next to unstoppable though when teams back off, the bigger field and the gained seperation of recievers could be a lethal combo.

On Rex Ryan, I don't think he looks for the spotlight. He embraces it a bit, but every HC, hell every athlete needs a certain swagger. Every team has preseason fights (Pats are famous for em) and players that step outta line, coaches say dumb stuff or make bold statements. The Jets just get hammered with it when they do though. The Giants are pretty much left alone, Carolina player guarantees a SB and it gets a brief footnote, Cromartie promises a win vs the Phins and its the NFL headline for a week. He certainly knows his x's n o's, still not sure about him as a HC. Don't like his clinging to Sanchez even though he has a clear better option.

Why do you and Jolly keep pointing to the Pats and pulling them into conversations about the Jets? "It's OK that the Jets do this because here's an example of the Patriots doing the same". Is it anything more than an inferiority complex?

The Giants get left alone, because when was the last time you saw Tom Coughlin give someone the finger?

GO RAVENS!!!! Just got my white away Flacco jersey in the mail couple days ago. Injuries right now but this has been a resilient bunch all season, lost Lewis,Webb and Ngata earlier in the season and everyone wrote us off, we went on to a 9-2 record. This is the first 3 game losing streak since 2009, and first time since 2007 we've lost back to back home games. Lewis is close to returning, the defence, while depleted, plays their heart out and gives us a chance every game. Huge one vs Giants Sunday, hope Flacco can get it together.

The Ravens to me aren't as good as their record, even with a healthy lineup. I just don't see these guys doing anything in the playoffs. But I guess them making the playoffs and being a good team for the past few years is a lot better then what my team has done.

For the record, I don't like it when ANY player taunts an opponent or crowd, or shows disrespect in any form. As a youth football coach I am the one that has to try to stop my 12 year olds from pretending they are wearing a championship belt, or doing a salsa dance after a TD. So don't tell me I think it's fine when Brady or anyone else does it (you know I'm not a Pats fan right?).

My problem with Rex Ryan is that he is too much in the spotlight. He has to be. He can't get through a full season without creating some controversy by being overconfident in his average-at-best team, calling out others teams or players, or just being an arrogant ass. Is he an "idiot" in terms of football knowledge? Of course not. If he could control his ego and need to be in the limelight, he could be a good coach too. But he himself is too much of a distraction to his own team. Reminds me so much of Brian Burke, and why as brilliant as he is at many things in the business of hockey, he will always get in his own way.

As for that last clip, I don't think I've ever seen it before, but I've honestly never seen a coach run into the endzone and celebrate a TD with his players. Seems like a good example of the above.

I know you're not a Pats fan, I was half responding to you half to the other poster.

To your point about creating controversy, I think he has done well this year. He's handled this Tebow thing fairly well considered his hand was forced.

Here's some facts though. Tebow had a nice little streak. But was it Tebow? Or was it the great Denver team around him? Look how Manning is thriving and every play is dangerous. Manning is an elite QB and has taken the Broncos to a whole other level.

Tebow might have good vision, and quick thinking, but he has from what other QB's have said "Terrible mechanics".

If someone doesn't have a good arm, and bad mechanics that doesn't sound good for the NFL or CFL.

Tebow should be happy he had his 15 minutes..errr weeks of fame. He got to do something the majority of us will never get to do. Play pro football.

Go Seahawks on Sunday!

This is a well written article about Rex written by one of his former players, Trevor Pryce, very well. I agree with most of it. Rex is a player's coach and too loyal. Needs to learn to cut em' loose when its time. BB is extremely good at doing that.

Nice-Guy Ryan Gets in the Way of Coach Ryan

In 2001, I was a member of a Denver Broncos defense that was, in all honesty, a mess. The defensive coordinator at the time was Greg Robinson, whose favorite saying was, “Guys, it’s never as bad or as good as you think it is.” And in most instances he was right. Sometimes a little perspective is needed. But in the case of the Jets and Rex Ryan, that perspective does not exist.

If every team had the exact same talent level on its roster, and commanding an N.F.L. sideline involved nothing more than X’s and O’s, Ryan would be one of the more revered coaches in sports. He is a brilliant strategist, a man who works to the point of exhaustion and possesses a passion for and knowledge of football that is unmatched. Combine that with the fact that no coach in the N.F.L knows how to get more out of less, and you have the makings of a perennial championship contender.

Sadly for Ryan’s fans and friends, being a head coach these days has very little to do with X’s and O’s and more to do with your personality. And the two personality traits that are stopping him from being a great head coach are the same two that make him a great human being: He is loyal to the point of defiance, and he cares enormously about the people around him.

Bill Belichick displays neither of those traits, certainly not while coaching. It’s why on a whim and following a stiff breeze, the man some call Darth Hood traded defensive end Richard Seymour, who was still in his prime and seemingly destined to be a Patriot for life, to the mess that is the Oakland Raiders for a few draft picks. For two years, Ryan has stuck with a quarterback who played as if he were trying to get him fired.

Ryan’s players and staff felt awful for their coach and friend when private moments in his life became public and embarrassed him and his family. In contrast, John Harbaugh had to quell a potential player mutiny in Baltimore two months ago. In Tampa Bay, some players reportedly wanted Greg Schiano and his staff sent back to college.

Eagles Coach Andy Reid fired the defensive coordinator Juan Castillo during the season, as if it was somehow Castillo’s fault that the players Reid picked had no interest in tackling. Ryan gave a friend, the former Pro Bowl defensive back Mark Carrier, the job coaching the Jets’ defensive line in 2010. Did it matter that Carrier knew next to nothing about defensive line play the day he inherited Shaun Ellis, Sione Po’uha and Kris Jenkins? Not to Ryan.

Being an N.F.L. coach is the ultimate study in “him or me” politics. You have to be willing to sacrifice just about anyone in your organization for the greater good. To a coach, the “greater good” often means protecting your own job security first. And that is the last thing Ryan wants to do.

Even with someone as polarizing as the former offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, whose relationship with Ryan eventually grew contentious, Ryan’s first choice would have been to work it out. They parted on mutual terms because the last thing Ryan was going to do was fire a guy he believed in. No matter what.

Ryan somehow winds up with players nobody wants and then talks about them as if they are Pro Bowlers in order to build their confidence. In some cases, he is right, and the player ends up being a contributor for years. Bart Scott is one of the most successful examples. But in way too many cases Ryan is wrong, and that reality eventually becomes painfully apparent. The examples of defensive end Aaron Maybin and all of his current quarterbacks come to mind.

No one ever said Ryan was not a tough coach or a competitor. He is. It’s the reason he used to record the fights in practice and took the Jets to two A.F.C. championship games in a row. But these days being tough is not quite enough. In today’s world of access and social media, a head coach also has to be cold and calculating.

However, the debacle that was Monday’s loss at Tennessee was probably the day of change. Because when Ryan looks back on this season, it is going to harden him and change him.

The day is going to come when his player and coaching decisions will be made with the same cutthroat efficiency that you find in places like New England, Baltimore and Philadelphia. Ryan will realize he has no choice but to develop that same poisonous “him or me” attitude that permeates almost every other head coach in the N.F.L. And on that day the Jets will gain one of the better head coaches in the league. At the same time they will lose one of its better human beings.

And that is sad, because as Greg Robinson used to say, “It’s never as bad as you think it is.”

Trevor Pryce played in the N.F.L. from 1997 to 2010, including four seasons for Rex Ryan.

Steelers are in tough right now. They are in must win mode. Rashard Mendenhall is the x-factor for the Steelers. He should have a fire lit under his ass for being benched and performing so poorly this season. He has no better example to look at then Knowshon Moreno of how to save a career that is going off the rails.

I guess it remains to be seen but if he can help establish a solid ground game it will really help them in the playoffs and they could be a dark horse.