The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

6 hours ago, Van40 said:

So far you've said Kamara is overrated and Bal D is overhyped. 

But the Bengals are going to be good...

@Pears New coach, Green injury, shaky oline, tough division and a hard schedule = down year imo. 

Cincy has a great backfield though, Mixon is a monster and Drew Sample can play. 

Im not saying Kamara isn't great, but its a massive change from sharing carries to all of a sudden, being the main guy. Kamara IMO looked like a better player with Ingram sharing the load. Sean Payton has always used dual (3 backs when they won the superbowl) backs and is an amazing play caller. I could be proven wrong, but this is just based of what Ive seen from Kamara through the years.

The Bengals are going to be decent, its tough to fathom that 3 teams will make it to the post season from the AFC North but it seems like everyone has written them off and just assumed the Ravens are the better team, which they aren't. These same Bengals last year beat the Ravens in the 1st outing with Mixon not playing in the 2nd half, and the Ravens barely beat them in the 2nd meeting with no AJ Green

Full disclosure too, Im not a Bengals fan by any means, but Ive seen enough Bengals games last year to get a pretty good evaluation of the team (fantasy football purposes). Im a broncos fan, and my team is terrible

6 hours ago, Pears said:

Again, that’s what people were saying last year before we started 5-2 and then literally 20 guys went on IR. Remember when Jim Harbaugh turned the 6-10 49ers into a Super Bowl team? New first time coaches aren’t always a bad thing.

Also the Ravens WRs are garbage. Willie Snead is their #1 guy, whos a massive downgrade from what they had last year with John Brown and I think Crabtree? and thats not saying a whole lot. I can see the Bengals being .500 team, possibly better if healthy, but defintely not bottom 5 of the league.

On 8/13/2019 at 11:56 AM, Pears said:

This is the big question right here. Although not on AB’s level, OBJ is a drama queen and Baker seems immature after seeing how he acted towards Hue Jackson after he was fired. If all those egos aren’t controlled the Browns are gonna fall on their face. 

From what Ive seen from OBJ this off season, the guy looks and sounds like a changed man. Its not so much because of Baker, but because of Jarvis Landry. Landry is like a brother to him and his BFF, if theres one guy OBJ is going to listen to, its him and Landry just happens to be a consumate pro. I think their egos will be held in check, its just as a matter of if they can handle the hype and expectation. The Browns are absolutely loaded on both sides of the ball

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Want to say the Titans cause I love Cam Wake but I think the Bengals have a game or 2 on Tennessee this year. 

Yeah Im not liking the Titans this year, I can even see Tannehill getting some starts over Mariotta. Other than Derrick Henry, theres not much to like about that team.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, filthycanuck said:

Oh hes with them now? Cam Wake is the greatest defensive player in the CFL's history, and he did that in 2 years

Yeah 3 year 23mil 10mil guaranteed happy for him to get a deal like that at 37. Takes care of himself and should be good for the whole 3 years imo. 

On 8/16/2019 at 1:29 AM, filthycanuck said:

From what Ive seen from OBJ this off season, the guy looks and sounds like a changed man. Its not so much because of Baker, but because of Jarvis Landry. Landry is like a brother to him and his BFF, if theres one guy OBJ is going to listen to, its him and Landry just happens to be a consumate pro. I think their egos will be held in check, its just as a matter of if they can handle the hype and expectation. The Browns are absolutely loaded on both sides of the ball

We shall see. Their oline is gonna be their biggest problem. They really dont have any depth there and a few injuries could doom baker and the run game there. Plus i dont like their tackles

On 8/17/2019 at 9:31 AM, Isam said:

We shall see. Their oline is gonna be their biggest problem. They really dont have any depth there and a few injuries could doom baker and the run game there. Plus i dont like their tackles

This. Sure they have a couple legit starters but they’re gonna get eaten alive by the best defensive lines. Heck even ours if Carl Lawson regains his 2017 form will give them and most teams fits. 

If I’m being honest here, I think the NFL has gotta let Trevor Lawrence declare for the 2020 draft. He’s gonna dominate this year and I don’t see what good playing a third college season will do for him when he’s more than good enough for the NFL right now.

5 hours ago, Pears said:

If I’m being honest here, I think the NFL has gotta let Trevor Lawrence declare for the 2020 draft. He’s gonna dominate this year and I don’t see what good playing a third college season will do for him when he’s more than good enough for the NFL right now.

And I suspect there's a whole lot of Division I College coaches who would wholeheartedly agree with you - Nick Saban leading the list.

In fact, Saban might very well be in favour of a retroactive draft and letting him go this year!

Edited by UnkNuk
  • Haha 2

On 8/13/2019 at 10:18 AM, Hogs & Podz said:

As per usual... Like most experts every year before season starts... Always underestimate the Seahawks.  IF Russell Wilson doesn't get hurt, they will make the playoffs and probably make it to the conference finals.  They have some holes and their defence isn't near the same level it was in the 'legion of boom' years but their offence will be top 5 in my opinion.

If you mean top 5 running the ball sure I agree. They will have Carson and Penny and McKissac etc ,and they have a big OL whose strength is run blocking.

Who are your pass catchers outside of Tyler Lockett though?

Who can Wilson rely on to make plays when he is scrambling and extending plays? No more Doug Baldwin.

You really counting on Will Dissly, Jaron Brown, and a raw rookie like DK Metcalf with a big role in year 1?!

I don't see anything that screams top 5 offence in the pass game.

Also DL is weaker without Jarran Reid and Frank Clark.

Though Poona Ford has stepped up for Jarran Reid. 

Feel free to chime in @ReggieBush.

On 8/16/2019 at 1:07 AM, filthycanuck said:

Im not saying Kamara isn't great, but its a massive change from sharing carries to all of a sudden, being the main guy. Kamara IMO looked like a better player with Ingram sharing the load. Sean Payton has always used dual (3 backs when they won the superbowl) backs and is an amazing play caller. I could be proven wrong, but this is just based of what Ive seen from Kamara through the years. 

Is it going to be all that different for Kamara? I like Ingram (he's won me money a couple times over the years, even while I was up against the guy who drafted Kamara), but Murray is similar enough and should be able to fill a similar role, IMO.

Kamara might get a little extra work, but it's in the team's best interests to not overload him too much.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chip Kelly said:

If you mean top 5 running the ball sure I agree. They will have Carson and Penny and McKissac etc ,and they have a big OL whose strength is run blocking.

Who can Wilson rely on to make plays when he is scrambling and extending plays? No more Doug Baldwin.

You really counting on Will Dissly, Jaron Brown, and a raw rookie like DK Metcalf with a big role in year 1?!

Sure thing @Chip Kelly

Seattle is going to be good on offense. Lockett is fantastic and they have some pieces who can develop into targets. John Ursua is one of them. Receivers are a dime a dozen. It is my personal belief that what separates replacement level receivers and good (not great) receivers is opportunity/targets. Additionally, the first team OL has looked good in pass pro and you know they are going to run the ball.

On the defensive side of the ball I am a little worried about the pass rush. I hope that they use a draft pick or two to address that need, especially if Ziggy isn't good to go for week one. The back 7 is going to be really good. The best off ball LB corps in the NFL, and a really young secondary that was ok last season (expect major improvements from T2 and Shaquill Griffin). 

Special teams looks good too with the signing of Meyers. Seattle is always going to be in close games, so having a quality kicker that you can trust can easily flip L's into W's on the schedule (see 2017 as proof)

They will be fine. Expecting 10 wins out of this team

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Pears said:

I'd sure hope so, Lawrence is going to be embarressing college defences in the next few years if they let him stay. The guy is the next Peyton Manning. Almost no flaws in his game other than maybe bulking up a tad. Arm strength, accuracy, height, mobility and a football IQ thats off the charts. Its almost comical that they would even dare compare Tua to Lawrence

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

They'll get to top 5 mostly based on the volume of attempts with the rbs AND Wilson running for his life half the time when he drops back. Penny is inconsistent and McKissac will catch a few balls but not really a threat running. Lockett is going to be decent but the supporting cast is way too lacking. Jaron Brown is a #3-#4 in most teams, their group of TE's are unproven, and DK Metcalf is very overrated. His routes are absolutely dreadful and he's injury prone. Top 5 offence is HIGHLY unlikely, they'll be in the bottom half of the league.

That being said, the only thing thats going to keep the Hawks in the playoff hunt is the fact they seem to make plays when they matter, and also being gift wrapped 4 easy wins since they play the Cards and the 49ers. They aren't explosive enough, but they'll grind away wins with possesion, special teams, and Wilson basically walking on water. They'll probably end up being 9-7 or 10-6 in very ugly fashion

• Upvote 1