The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The MLB Thread- 2014 Season

gmen81

FAN DIES AFTER GOING INTO CARDIAC ARREST AT BLUE JAYS GAME

TORONTO -- A male fan died in a hospital after going into cardiac arrest at Thursday's game between the Blue Jays and Chicago White Sox.

Play was halted for four minutes in the seventh inning while the fan received CPR and was carted off on a stretcher.

Ambulance sirens could be heard outside the stadium as the fan was carted off, still receiving CPR.

Following the game, Toronto Police Services confirmed the fan had died in a hospital after collapsing. The name of the fan was not released.

"Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family of the person who was taken out of here tonight," Blue Jays manager John Farrell said.

White Sox third baseman Kevin Youkilis was the first player to notice the commotion in the stands, and alerted umpire Mark Wegner to what was going on.

"I saw some medics jump out around the dugout and run over," Youkilis said. "Then I saw a doctor or whoever was going, just pushing on the chest over and over and over. I thought maybe they were reviving him and then the next thing you know, they kept going and going. I was like 'God, man. We've got to stop this thing."'

Wegner approached second base ump and crew chief Mike Winters after Moises Sierra hit a foul ball down the right-field line, and the game was stopped to allow a cart to come onto the field and carry the fan off through the left field gate.

Blue Jays players left their dugout to watch as paramedics pumped the man's chest repeatedly.

White Sox pitcher Jesse Crain, who was on the mound at the time, was left shaken by the episode.

"I said a little prayer for him after everything started going again," Crain said. "You don't ever want to see that."

This was the second time this season a fan received CPR at a Blue Jays game; it also happened June 29.

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=403237

Well, I guess it's the end of an era with that old thread. I just noticed today that it was gone, as I just got married, and Mrs. Mullet has had a ton of things for me to do before and after the wedding meaning very little time to spend watching baseball or talking about it.

That's awesome that UMAD got to see a perfecto, especially after he was lamenting how "lucky" I was to get to see Matt Cain's.

I'm also pissed off about Melky Cabrera. Though I always thought he looked so somber and sullen for a guy who has "melkmen" and "Melkmaids" at every game cheering his every move. I guess a bit of cheater's guilt. Imagine that those costumes are getting stashed now.

Hey, congrats man! Now back to baseball, haha!

Yep, back to baseball. Got a pair of tickets to a Giants/DBacks game in late September as a wedding gift, but I think I want to get to a game before that too. Also, the Angels are coming to Oakland in 2 weeks and I'd love the chance to see Trout play live, so that might be something to look at too. Don't know wtf is up with the Angels' pitching right now, on paper that staff should be the class of the AL (on par with the Rays maybe), but right now it's been a lesson in sucktitude. The Rays even hung 9 ER on Cy Young candidate Weaver the other day, though his candidacy might be hurt by the spike in his ERA as a result of that very game. They're all but out of contention in their division right now, and even the wild card is looking like a stretch considering how many teams they'd have to pass. Considering the potency of their lineup and the quality in their pitching staff, I'm at a loss for words to explain their ineptitude right now.

Well, I guess it's the end of an era with that old thread. I just noticed today that it was gone, as I just got married, and Mrs. Mullet has had a ton of things for me to do before and after the wedding meaning very little time to spend watching baseball or talking about it.

That's awesome that UMAD got to see a perfecto, especially after he was lamenting how "lucky" I was to get to see Matt Cain's.

I'm also pissed off about Melky Cabrera. Though I always thought he looked so somber and sullen for a guy who has "melkmen" and "Melkmaids" at every game cheering his every move. I guess a bit of cheater's guilt. Imagine that those costumes are getting stashed now.

Congrats on the wedding! And haha thanks man! Seeing history in just my third baseball game is pretty cool.

Gonna be at the August 28 BOS @ LAA game! Will I see history again? :P

Sox take the first two from the Yankmees. Lovin' it. Can't seem to shake the tiggers though!

Unfortunately for you and the Sox, the Tigers are playing the Jays right now...

...and the Jays' so-called "Ace" of the staff just lost his 10th straight game.

Unfortunately for you and the Sox, the Tigers are playing the Jays right now...

...and the Jays' so-called "Ace" of the staff just lost his 10th straight game.

I was hoping the same thing the series before against the Royals. They always give the Sox trouble, no one else in the ALC, just the Sox.

I was hoping the same thing the series before against the Royals. They always give the Sox trouble, no one else in the ALC, just the Sox.

It's funny how one team can be your personal kryptonite. For the Jays, it has always been the Rays. Even back when T-Bay sucked, they always gave Toronto fits...

Wow, Bartolo Colon just tested positive and will sit for 50. Is the Bay Area some kind of haven for cheaters? Though the G-men have won 4 of 5 since the Melky suspension.

However, Raoul I have to disagree with your statement: the Dodgers came into San Francisco and swept a 3 game series last month, which was a major downer around here. So I feel it's deserved payback that the Giants go down to Chavez Ravine and wreak havoc there. The Giants need to put a little daylight between themselves and the Dodgers, what with a hard series against the Braves coming up this weekend.

Truth be told, I think the resurgence of the AL West this season has been very refreshing. For the Mariners, the future is starting to look both promising and closer than previously expected. Hopefully, they will be able to hold onto those key veteran pieces that they'll need to contend sooner, like Felix Hernandez.

Archived