The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The MLB Thread- 2014 Season

gmen81

That was a brutal call, but there's no way I'm going to feel any sympathy for the New York Yankees. They have crafted their image to be the alpha dogs, with profligacy and hubris unmatched anywhere in pro sports. When you're "that" team, you can't whine about a few bad breaks, because it just makes you look stupid.

That was a brutal call, but there's no way I'm going to feel any sympathy for the New York Yankees. They have crafted their image to be the alpha dogs, with profligacy and hubris unmatched anywhere in pro sports. When you're "that" team, you can't whine about a few bad breaks, because it just makes you look stupid.

Can't feel sympathy for the Yankees either.

When one player makes more money than another teams entire roster, you can't be whiny.

Are the umpire crews graded throughout the season to determine who gets call to post-season? If so, MLB is in alot of trouble.

Baseball should bring in a challenge system like tennis has. Each team gets 3 challenges for a game, for safe/out, fair/foul, fan interference and catch/trap calls. Wouldn't be practical for ball/strike or foul tip and hit batter. If you challenge and are right you keep your challenge, you lose it if you are wrong. If it goes extra innings, one challenge per 3 innings. Sound reasonable?

Baseball should bring in a challenge system like tennis has. Each team gets 3 challenges for a game, for safe/out, fair/foul, fan interference and catch/trap calls. Wouldn't be practical for ball/strike or foul tip and hit batter. If you challenge and are right you keep your challenge, you lose it if you are wrong. If it goes extra innings, one challenge per 3 innings. Sound reasonable?

In principle I do like it, but I think one challenge per game should be enough, plus you shouldn't lose it if your challenge is successful (it's always driven me nuts that in the NFL, the coach can win 3 challenges but still not get any more). I think in baseball seldom is there more than one true grievance per game, and by limiting it to one review request, you don't slow down the game too much and you keep the managers from using it frivolously. And I do agree that some things can't be reviewable. Ball/strike is a given, and I agree on tips and HBP too. Homers should be reviewed automatically (as they already are). Fair/foul gets a little murky with the "ball went over the bag" thing, frankly I liked it better before where the ball had to bounce at least once fair past the base to be fair. Clearly the main thing that would be reviewed would be safe/out. I'm cool with that, as long as it's only used in extenuating circumstances, like once per game or less.

In principle I do like it, but I think one challenge per game should be enough, plus you shouldn't lose it if your challenge is successful (it's always driven me nuts that in the NFL, the coach can win 3 challenges but still not get any more). I think in baseball seldom is there more than one true grievance per game, and by limiting it to one review request, you don't slow down the game too much and you keep the managers from using it frivolously. And I do agree that some things can't be reviewable. Ball/strike is a given, and I agree on tips and HBP too. Homers should be reviewed automatically (as they already are). Fair/foul gets a little murky with the "ball went over the bag" thing, frankly I liked it better before where the ball had to bounce at least once fair past the base to be fair. Clearly the main thing that would be reviewed would be safe/out. I'm cool with that, as long as it's only used in extenuating circumstances, like once per game or less.

I think a lot of fans, including myself, would agree with you.

Wouldn't want some bonhead manager throwing out four or five challenges per game. It would slow the game down like crazy and fans would lose interest.

Actually in tennis you don't lose your challenge if you are right, you can challenge indefinitely as long as you are right, 3 each may be too many, how about 2? They don't carry over to extra innings. If you give them too many managers will burn them to give a reliever a little extra warm up time.

Are the umpire crews graded throughout the season to determine who gets call to post-season? If so, MLB is in alot of trouble.

I'm not sure about that. It seems like they aren't, being that bad umpiring always seems to come to the forefront in the postseason. Or maybe it's just the bigger microscope. For me, the umpiring gaffe that always stands out is Phil Cuzzi robbing Joe Mauer of a double down the left field line that might have finally gotten the Twins past the Yankees. It was in the 2009 ALDS, and the Yankees ended up winning the game to take a stranglehold on the series. But it was an extra inning play that could easily have cost the Twins a run and maybe the game, Joe hit a ball that hit the leftfielder's glove and bounced quite obviously fair and then into the stands. The reason it bugged me so much was that Cuzzi was the leftfield umpire: his only job was to call fair and foul down that line and he cocked it up.

Anyways, the league doesn't seem to ever fire umpires. Joe West and CB Bucknor are probably the two worst and they're still in the league (though neither is umpiring this postseason). The one guy that almost everyone knows for a blown call, Jim Joyce (Galarraga's near perfect game) is actually one of the best and is very well liked by the players.

I'm not sure about that. It seems like they aren't, being that bad umpiring always seems to come to the forefront in the postseason. Or maybe it's just the bigger microscope. For me, the umpiring gaffe that always stands out is Phil Cuzzi robbing Joe Mauer of a double down the left field line that might have finally gotten the Twins past the Yankees. It was in the 2009 ALDS, and the Yankees ended up winning the game to take a stranglehold on the series. But it was an extra inning play that could easily have cost the Twins a run and maybe the game, Joe hit a ball that hit the leftfielder's glove and bounced quite obviously fair and then into the stands. The reason it bugged me so much was that Cuzzi was the leftfield umpire: his only job was to call fair and foul down that line and he cocked it up.

Anyways, the league doesn't seem to ever fire umpires. Joe West and CB Bucknor are probably the two worst and they're still in the league (though neither is umpiring this postseason). The one guy that almost everyone knows for a blown call, Jim Joyce (Galarraga's near perfect game) is actually one of the best and is very well liked by the players.

Agree on Joyce. Seeing him admit to robbing Gallarraga of the no-no, gained my respect. I also agree on Bucknor. It baffles me that he still has a job in professional baseball.

As much as I am a White Sox fan, the one that stands out for me was the circumstances of AJ back in the '05 WS run. I still to this day don't know how the umps, the league, and everyone else involved in that play screwed up. It was either a pass ball, strike out, or a hbp, but AJ ended up on first, and they eventually eliminated the Angels. I'll go with fate! It was their year.

i LOVEEEEEEE it when the high-profile team with all the overpaid athletes gets eliminated. Even better when they're swept!

Yeah, it's great when a true Cinderella can do that eh? Especially the Tigers, doing it all on that shoestring budget with nothing but a bunch of overachieving youngsters, no big names or big contracts, just a real feel good story. Just one more game and the small market, David v Goliath Cardinals can join them too.

Ichiro :(

Yankees are gone ::D

If it's Tigers vs Cards I'd be cheering for Cabrera and the Tigers but if it's Tigers vs. Giants I'd have to go with the San Fran Giants!! My second favorite team! Though I see the Cards advancing as they're up 3-1...

Yeah, it's great when a true Cinderella can do that eh? Especially the Tigers, doing it all on that shoestring budget with nothing but a bunch of overachieving youngsters, no big names or big contracts, just a real feel good story. Just one more game and the small market, David v Goliath Cardinals can join them too.

Yeah, the Tigers aren't exactly poor, but it was the Yankees. Didn't matter who beat them, I was going to be happy about it.

Archived