The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The MLB Thread- 2014 Season

gmen81

I really don't think you will find a ticket to the World Series for $20. If that was the case I would fly down and go. Plus I'd be able to stay with my buddy who lives in Mountainview.

I don't know much about prices but I went to the 2010 world series for $20...

If anyone in here can honestly say they predicted that Zito would take his 84 mph fastball and dominate while Verlander and his 87 mph changeup would look like BP, say so. Favourite moment of the game was Zito's RBI single against his counterpart.

Definitely a surprise for me. Not so much that Zito was good, but that Verlander was that bad.

I'm happy for the Panda though....seems like a great guy...

The Tigers lose, thanks to two bizarre coaching decisions, IMO.

First, Gene Lamont sends the slowest player on the roster home, with nobody out... then, the Detroit plays for the DP instead of coming home in a bases-loaded situation. Watching that particular play, I had to agree with McCarver, when he said that they probably could have come home and still gotten the out at first...

Yeah, both of those were unfortunate calls on their part. Conceding a run late in a game where you've yet to score one yourselves is a questionable move.

Having said that, those decisions didn't necessarily singlehandedly cost them the game. There's no guarantee they would've scored that run from third, and there's no guarantee the Giants wouldn't still have scored that other run.

Frankly, I think the ridiculously imbalanced focus on offence over defence that has been the Tigers' philosophy might be showing up a little here. This is a team that has defensive dogs like Prince Fielder, Miguel Cabrera and Delmon Young all fielding a position simultaneously in NL ballparks (and Victor Martinez too, when he's healthy), as well as negative defensive players like Kelly, Dirks, Laird and Garcia. In fact, the only positive defensive players to play for the Tigers all year are Avila, Jackson, Peralta, Infante and Santiago, and of those only Avila is above a dWAR of 1. The Tigers collective team dWAR is -4.8, good for last amongst playoff teams (4th worst in the majors above only Houston, Cleveland and Colorado). Conversely, the Giants are pretty average defensively (+0.4, 15th in the majors), but a good chunk of that is also taken up by guys they aren't playing regularly for whatever reason in the Series (Theriot, Burriss, Cabrera). In comparison to the Tigers though, they're defensive stalwarts and I think that's been making a difference so far this series.

Archived