The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The MLB Thread- 2014 Season

gmen81

I haven't been an MLB fan for like.. at least 10-15 years, I just think it's funny that the Giants' new dynasty starts when Barry Bonds isn't on the team to be a distraction.

And also, to no one's surprise:

http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/S-F-picks-up-the-pieces-after-raucous-Giants-5858132.php

S.F. picks up the pieces after raucous Giants revelry

Business owners were picking up the pieces early Thursday and assessing the damage that spread when pockets of inebriated fans ecstatic over the Giants winning the World Series let loose with lawlessness.

Glee over the Giants’ Game 7 victory over Kansas City on Wednesday night was tempered with frustration that, once again, some people resorted to a brand of revelry that caused damage and a response by San Francisco police offciers clad in riot helmets.

Amid a tableaux of shattered glass, graffiti and trashed streets in the Mission District, merchants, city workers and residents were trying to make sense of it.

“There’s no way to stop it,” said Alex Delgado, 25, as he surveyed six damaged windows at a mixed-use condominium complex near 22nd and Mission streets. “If they win next year, it’ll happen next year.”

Kim Jung, 57, said he was upset that graffiti had been scrawled outside his diner near 20th and Mission. “I’m lucky there wasn’t any broken windows,” he said.

Jung said he was “happy” that the Giants won, but wondered aloud about why fans would veer into vandalism: “Why is it like that?”

Jamie Morganstern, 28, who lives on Valencia Street, said he found the damage disturbing but added, “I don’t know how you can prevent people from acting out.”

Zack Smith, 32, the co-owner of Southpaw BBQ and Southern Cooking at 18th and Mission, was also cleaning up graffiti. “It’s 7 a.m.,” he said. “I’d rather be at home, but life happens. It’s all good. I’m glad the Giants won.”

Smith said he had been at the bar until 1:30 a.m. to make sure everything was OK. He went home, went to sleep and came back to find the eatery damaged.

San Francisco Public Works employees were in the Mission Thursday morning assessing the destruction, taking pictures of buildings that had been hit with graffiti.

Officers and firefighters kept busy late into the night responding to bonfires, fistfights and vandalism throughout the Mission District, the South of Market area and near AT&T Park. They also investigated two shootings and a stabbing, none of which were fatal.

Police made several arrests. Some officers hit by tossed bottles and fireworks suffered minor injuries, and one was hurt badly enough to be taken to the hospital, said Officer Gordon Shyy, a department spokesman. At least one police car was vandalized.

Shyy said a complete accounting of the number of arrests and details on incidents wouldn’t be available until later Thursday.

• 2 weeks later...

13 years and $325 million for Marlins Giancarlo Stanton. Holy hell. Great player but talk about breaking the bank.

It definitely looks that way, but in MLB, 25 Million per year doesn't really seem like such a big deal anymore.

Bear in mind that when Vernon Wells was traded away from Toronto, he was owed an average of around 22 million for five more seasons...

The key to Stanton I think, is going to be staying healthy. If he can do that, I think the Marlins will get value for that deal.

Of course, knowing how the Marlins operate, they'll probably allow him to develop into one of the top five players in baseball and then trade him for a half dozen blue-chip prospects.

• 4 months later...

I believe now is as good of a time as any to bring back this thread with the 2015 season upcoming!

I'm really excited for this season, pretty stoked to see how the Mariners will fare. From what I've seen with their offseason moves, the Mariners should have a fairly good chance at making the playoffs for the first time since 2001. The roster hasn't changed much from the team that was just 1 game out of the playoffs last year, and with the addition of a big bat in Nelson Cruz, the 1-2 punch of Nelson Cruz and Robinson Cano should make Seattle's offense one of the strongest we've seen in many years. Pairing that with their top 5 pitching staff and this could be a very successful year in Seattle.

Really excited to see what happens this year! Fingers crossed for a playoff appearance

Tough night for Brett Lawrie. The Rangers fitted him for the golden sombrero.

Donaldson deal looking better and better...

On 12 pitches as well. That's a special kind of a poor performance.

I wish well for the guy, but he has a way to go with a lot of things like managing the plate and keeping his composure.

Josh Hamilton could of gone down as one of the best ever. So much freaking talent. Sucks that the drug addictions have messed up his career.

Hopefully that's not the case.

Look at the way A-Rod has started out for the Yanks. JH should be more than capable of getting his game back if he can just slay that demon.

He's a likable guy and the difference is, he admitted to his relapse, while cheaters like Bonds, A-Rod and Palmeiro deny, deny, deny.

• 4 weeks later...

Mariners looking pretty good in the sweep of the Athletics this weekend.

Hoping this will turn things around, so far the season has not lived up to expectations

The Astros man... How are they playing so well??

Archived