The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The MLB Thread- 2014 Season

gmen81

What a f*** up by the refs in Atlanta. I mean the braves didn't play a great game but the refs took away any chance of a comeback. Just brutal. Although I'm excited to see the introduction of the outfield fly rule next year

Refs???

I didn't see the game, but my understanding of the infield fly rule is that there has to be an infielder with a reasonable expectation of catching the ball. The distance from the actual infield is not the determining factor.

As far as I can tell, the rule was applied correctly. Sorry if you're a Braves fan who feels ripped off, but like Chipper himself said, they lost because they threw the ball away, not because of an Umpire's call.

i sort of understand the rule but at the end of the day the cardinals player should of had to make a catch for that out and they should of been charged with an error because it was 2 players going for it then backing away yet the out is still there with no catch just seems really strange

Refs???

I didn't see the game, but my understanding of the infield fly rule is that there has to be an infielder with a reasonable expectation of catching the ball. The distance from the actual infield is not the determining factor.

As far as I can tell, the rule was applied correctly. Sorry if you're a Braves fan who feels ripped off, but like Chipper himself said, they lost because they threw the ball away, not because of an Umpire's call.

The part that was in question was whether the infielder actually had a true bead on that ball. Judgment call for sure, and I can see why they were upset, but once the ump waves for infield fly, then it can't be undone, and the batter is out automatically.

Well, my prediction of the Cards upsetting the Braves looks pretty smart right now, but I grossly overestimated the heart of the Rangers. And my Bay Area bias has really shown through, with both of those teams facing very long odds to advance. I might give a slight edge to the A's, because they're coming home and are so experienced in finagling their way out of tight spots that they'll hold out hope to the last out. The Giants just look bad: I was annoyed that they gave Bumgarner the ball yesterday, and consistent with my gut, the only time they showed any life at all was when Timmy L came in for two excellent innings of relief. Fact was, no amount of pitching would have helped with Arroyo throwing the gem that he did, but being buried so early sure didn't help morale. Vogelsong will need the game of his life in game 3 just to keep this thing going (and the Giants need to get to Bailey early), and I wouldn't be at all shocked if Bochy would want to go right back to Cain for game 4.

The Orioles looked decent yesterday though, hanging tough against CC Sabathia and not imploding until late in the game. Today is such a test, with the rookie Chen facing the decidedly not-rookie Andy Pettitte. The Orioles know they can't win three straight at Yankee Stadium, so the pressure is very firmly on their shoulders.

Hey GM, I haven't been paying too close attention to the Giants... What's up with TL coming out of the bullpen? Why isn't he starting?

I gotta say, I agree with your take on the Yankees - O's series. I think if Baltimore had found a way to take that game, the series would have a whole different complexion. They have to take care of Pettitte now.

Refs???

Why have outfielders then? Any ball that makes it to the outfield should be an automatic out, because that's what happened.

The infield fly rule is to prevent teams from dropping the ball on purpose to create a double play....when the ball is that far away from the bases you'd better have strasburg playing the outfield, throwing a 100mph to Halliday playing second if you expect too turn a double play. Hence the outfield fly rule. Just the playoffs seem like a weird time to try it.

Why have outfielders then? Any ball that makes it to the outfield should be an automatic out, because that's what happened.

The infield fly rule is to prevent teams from dropping the ball on purpose to create a double play....when the ball is that far away from the bases you'd better have strasburg playing the outfield, throwing a 100mph to Halliday playing second if you expect too turn a double play. Hence the outfield fly rule. Just the playoffs seem like a weird time to try it.

Actually, I agree that the situation that occurred in Atlanta was not the one that the Infield Fly rule was created for. However, the wording of the rule does not make a distinction between the infield and the outfield. It only says that the infielder must be in a position to make the play with an "ordinary" effort.

Seeing as the SS was pretty much camped under the ball before shying away at the last moment, the Umpire made the correct determination based on the letter of the rule.

If you'd like the league to re-visit how this rule is interpreted with it's umpires, I'd have no issue with it. In fact, I'd agree. However, this doesn't mean that the Umpire made the incorrect call, nor does it mean that the Braves were robbed.

Hey GM, I haven't been paying too close attention to the Giants... What's up with TL coming out of the bullpen? Why isn't he starting?

I gotta say, I agree with your take on the Yankees - O's series. I think if Baltimore had found a way to take that game, the series would have a whole different complexion. They have to take care of Pettitte now.

Timmy had a poor season and the Giants probably don't feel that confident in him right now. However, I think they may have intended to start him in a 7 game series down the road, they just saw Bumgarner and Vogelsong as being more consistent down the stretch. I personally tend to disagree: even without my personal like of Lincecum, it's a fact that Bumgarner had only one quality start since August 20th (at home against sadsack Colorado), while Vogelsong had finished strong but had also gone through a really bad stretch, and I think their overall strong numbers belie their late season struggles. Lincecum had a few bad games near the end too, but I still feel that his past strong performances under the postseason spotlight should have gotten him a little more credit than he did. On the other hand, it's not uncommon for starters to make a few relief appearances from the bullpen in the playoffs, and then start a few days later, so I might be reading too much into it.

It was a questionable application of the rule, but the rule itself is there for a very good reason.

What the hell, I didn't realise that Washington shut down Strasburg completely. I thought it was just the regular season, so he'd be rested for the playoffs.

Nope, that might have made a modicum of sense. They let him start regular season games (even ones the Nationals didn't really need as they carried a sizable lead) and when he reached the arbitrary threshold, they said no more. Spacing him out at the end or giving him a lighter load would have made a ton of sense. What they did was just plain, extra strength stupid. I understand wanting to protect a young arm coming out of Tommy John. But taking a season where you're the first overall seed for granted, as if you know you'll be back, is just stupid (and a bit Canucks 2012-like). I'm sure Chipper Jones thought he'd be winning a whole bunch more rings after getting one in his rookie season. How'd that work out for him? Treating your fans with that much disdain-hey guys, thanks for the support but we're going to voluntarily cripple our chances this year, even though there'd be an easy fix to avoid it and limit his innings, so come on out next year again-is a big no no in my books.

Archived