The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The MLB Thread- 2014 Season

gmen81

Seriously the Yankee strategy seems to be to just crowd the plate and the umpire won't call inside strikes. This guy is awful, so many balls that could've been strikes because Jeter or whoever just raised their elbows over the pitch. Should be pretty easy there moron, if it goes over the plate between the knees and the belt it's an out.

Even liking Ichiro is not enough for me to cheer for the Yankees. Though it would mitigate my displeasure if they did win. Same goes for Raul, always liked him in Seattle (my wife liked him too, but mostly because she likes saying his name). Actually, when you add in ARod and Rafael Soriano you can't deny a pretty solid contingent of ex-Mariners playing for the Yanks. That said, I doubt many Mariner fans are cheering for ARod. Soriano most would not have strong feelings towards, though I remember thinking they were very stupid to trade him (to the Braves for the decidedly unremarkable Horacio Ramirez if I recall correctly).

Whaaaat?? You didn't enjoy the deal for HoRam?? Haha...

A-Rod's 2012 salary is $30 million. Has there ever been a more pathetic waste of money? That strikeout tonight where he could've run to first may have sealed his fate for a while.

And Cano??? Another $14 mil? Disgusting.

Jeter has a fractured ankle and is done of the year.

As much as I hate the Yankees and love to see them lose it sucks that they lost a player like Jeter.

Same, I don't like to see anyone (even Sean Avery) suffer a serious injury, plus I don't want the Yankees to have an excuse, I want them to lose with their A lineup on the field.

Yeah, sucks for Jeter. I'm not a fan, but I don't wish that on anyone.

Raoul has been amazing, but like Mullet, I can't cheer for the Yankees, even though they have him and Ichiro.

Speaking of Ichiro, I suppose he'll move to the leadoff spot now. They're going to want someone who can go the other way in the #2 spot. Swisher?

What about SS? Does A-Rod move over and Nunez play 3rd? Is he even on the playoff roster? (Although, I think you can add to the PR in the event of injury)

Sucks about Jeter but I'm going to reserve my sympathy a little bit. The guy has been unbelievably durable for his career, and there are a lot of guys out there who would give both nuts to have his level of health. Injuries happen. Could ARod resurrect his season (and career?) by filling in for Jeter at shortstop? Alex was a better shortstop than Jeter but got moved to 3rd base because of precedence and ego more than because of ability back when the Yankees acquired him, but he's been at 3rd a long time since then. I think their best option is to do exactly that and put Chavez at 3rd base. Ichiro seems like an obvious choice to lead off now, and I wouldn't be too shocked if they put Granderson in the 2 spot despite his free-swinging ways. Swisher an option too, as has been mentioned, but while he handles the bat well, he's been struggling too. As I said on the last page, it's amazing to me how much of the angst in Yankeeland is focused against ARod's performance. He's been bad, but aside from Ibanez, Teixeira at some points, and Ichiro yesterday, no Yankee has been particularly impressive in the postseason, and Cano has been arguably worse than ARod.

Even liking Ichiro is not enough for me to cheer for the Yankees. Though it would mitigate my displeasure if they did win. Same goes for Raul, always liked him in Seattle (my wife liked him too, but mostly because she likes saying his name). Actually, when you add in ARod and Rafael Soriano you can't deny a pretty solid contingent of ex-Mariners playing for the Yanks. That said, I doubt many Mariner fans are cheering for ARod. Soriano most would not have strong feelings towards, though I remember thinking they were very stupid to trade him (to the Braves for the decidedly unremarkable Horacio Ramirez if I recall correctly).

I'm not cheering for the Yankees. I'm cheering for Ichiro to win his well deserved ring. I grew up watching Ichiro on the Mariners and he has given me many great memories, he just never had a chance to win the World Series because of the crapty ass team the mariners have. Ichiro deserves the ring more than anybody else on the Yanks. This also could be the last chance he has as he is 38 now and his contract is up at the end of the season. Ichiro retiring without a ring would make me pretty sad.

Well fine, but a lot of very good, very likable and very deserving players never get to win, so as much as I do like Ichiro I think it goes with being a professional athlete that you might never taste the champagne. I always respected Ray Bourque's game too but sure as hell wasn't cheering for him to win that Cup with the Avalanche. To be fair, he didn't bail on the team LeBron style, they traded him, but all the same hoping for the best for Ichiro for me can't counteract the fact that I detest the Yankees and don't want them to win under any circumstances.

On another note, has there ever been a person alive that was looking forward more to a mid-October trip to Detroit, Michigan than Alexander Emmanuel Rodriguez?

Well fine, but a lot of very good, very likable and very deserving players never get to win, so as much as I do like Ichiro I think it goes with being a professional athlete that you might never taste the champagne. I always respected Ray Bourque's game too but sure as hell wasn't cheering for him to win that Cup with the Avalanche. To be fair, he didn't bail on the team LeBron style, they traded him, but all the same hoping for the best for Ichiro for me can't counteract the fact that I detest the Yankees and don't want them to win under any circumstances.

On another note, has there ever been a person alive that was looking forward more to a mid-October trip to Detroit, Michigan than Alexander Emmanuel Rodriguez?

Every Vancouver Canuck after the 2004-05 NHL lockout? :bigblush:

Seriously though, A-Rod has been brutal. I'm hoping he continues to struggle.

How about them Tigers. I love Ichiro's game so it would be great to see him win a WS but I don't think Detroit could be beaten. Verlander is a great player. Superstar really.

Gotta love Card's game but Giants gonna take the series.

Detroit vs SF. Detroit wins WS. Great team. Love what Ilitch does with his teams. Great owner.

Yankees definitely got screwed on that call at second, but like Greg Zaun said, they're losing because they're not hitting, not because of umpires' calls...

Besides, the Yanks have had more than their fair share of calls go their way. Remember Jeffrey Maier? I'm sure Oriole fans do...

Archived