The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The MLB Thread- 2014 Season

gmen81

Is that a jab at me for going for the Tigers? :P

And at least we have the 2010 Olympics as a championship ;)

Aha no not really, it was directed more to those people who have a different favorite team every season...

And yea man, Crosby's golden goal was one of the best moments of my life

Aha no not really, it was directed more to those people who have a different favorite team every season...

And yea man, Crosby's golden goal was one of the best moments of my life

Yea I know what you mean, there's way too many LA Kings hats being worn now, especially when those same people were wearing Boston last year.

Aside from the golden goal, only other championship I had was the 2006 FIFA world cup. Winning doesn't happen too often <_<

Anybody catch the lo-lites of the Giants celebration in Frisco?

First some fat chick announces that the 49ers had won the World Series, then the mayor gets on the mic and butchers the names of half the pitching staff....

I missed the parade yesterday, too much work to do. I did get a good luck at the underbelly of this city though. First on the night of, witnessing the mattress fires and yahoos bouncing around on cars (and eventually burning a bus, though I didn't see that). Yesterday, one of my buddies was telling me about his trip into the City on the Caltrain, and he described the different crowd you see in those situations compared to the types you see in the City: train full of drunk idiots at 9 AM, way too many knives (people picking their nails and stabbing beers for shotgunning). Different types of people that's for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy cow, Buehrle, Reyes, Johnson, Bonifacio and Buck all to the Blue Jays in exchange for a list of guys who won't really be missed. As Rupert already said, almost too good to be true for Toronto.

The swap of Buck and Mathis has me wondering a bit. Mathis is a true backup, while Buck is a guy who could challenge for the number 1 spot.

It makes me wonder if maybe the Jays aren't thinking about moving Arencibia and bringing up D'Arnaud. Buck could mentor TD as he makes the transition to the pros...

The swap of Buck and Mathis has me wondering a bit. Mathis is a true backup, while Buck is a guy who could challenge for the number 1 spot.

It makes me wonder if maybe the Jays aren't thinking about moving Arencibia and bringing up D'Arnaud. Buck could mentor TD as he makes the transition to the pros...

Well, John Buck hit .192 last season and is going to be 33 next year. I strongly doubt he's much more than a backup with the Jays as well. Buck and Arencibia have very similar defensive numbers so I don't think the team is seriously considering a switch. I guess with the addition of Maicer Izturis, you can probably pencil him in as the 2nd baseman, though that guy really should be a utility infielder considering his low OBP, lack of significant power and below average fielding. I would've been intrigued to see Encarnacion back at 3rd and move Lawrie to 2nd, where he played coming up. Then you could consider either converting JP to a first baseman or moving Lind back to first. Admittedly, that configuration leads to a weaker defence, but it probably gets more key bats into the lineup.

As it stands, the lineup and rotation are probably:

SS Reyes

3B Lawrie

RF Bautista

1B Encarnacion

DH Lind

CF Rasmus

C Arencibia

2B Izturis

LF Bonifacio

P Johnson

P Romero

P Buehrle

P Morrow

P Happ

Bonifacio is a speed demon, but doesn't get on base enough to be a leadoff guy in my view. I've got Arencibia in the lineup there, but the guy has yet to crack a .300 OBP for his career so unless he can learn to take a goddamned walk for a change, he might be on a short leash. The Blue Jays also have a lot of money in top of the rotation starters right now, and I wouldn't be too surprised if more trades were forthcoming. Johnson, Romero and Buehrle are probably all in the plans, but I can't see the team wanting either of Happ or Drabek in the bullpen, and they might have an eye to trading one of them. Depends if Drabek ever decides to show up at the major league level with any consistency. Same goes for Brett Cecil too, being that Jays fans know what that kid is capable of when he shows up. In the end, as much as the Marlins are trying to spin this as a win, I wouldn't buy it. Escobar is a defensively capable shortstop, but an average hitter and a reputed locker room cancer. Hechavarria may become a decent infielder but his hitting is never going to be top notch, and the prospects they gave up all have upside but none are projected as can't miss superstars.

Cabrera wins AL MVP over Trout, with 22 first place votes versus 6. What a friggin joke, if these voters were worth their salt this would've been a landslide win for Trout. Passan at Yahoo Sports has an interesting article comparing it to the US presidential election, where the Nate Silvers of the world who would vote for Trout (who called the election 100% accurately) were up against the blowhard mainstream punditry calling the election a tossup and getting it ass-backwards who would vote for Cabrera, except in baseball the blowhards are the ones put in charge of the final vote.

Today and the Blue Jays' rank among all 30 teams:

2012: $75.5 million (23rd)

2011: $62.6 million (23rd)

2010: $62.2 million (22nd)

2009: $80.5 million (16th)

2008: $97.8 million (13th)

2007: $81.9 million (16th)

2006: $71.9 million (16th)

2005: $45.7 million (25th)

2004: $50.0 million (21st)

2003: $51.3 million (21st)

Still, the Cabrera signing will push Toronto's payroll well past $100 million. It also gives Toronto a lineup that could potentially look like this:

SS Jose Reyes

3B Brett Lawrie

LF Melky Cabrera

RF Jose Bautista

DH Edwin Encarnacion

1B Adam Lind

CF Colby Rasmus

C J.P. Arencibia

2B Maicer Izturis

SP Mark Buehrle

SP Josh Johnson

SP Brandon Morrow

SP Ricky Romero

SP J.A. Happ

CL Casey Janssen/Sergio Santos

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/30894/blue-jays-think-big-sign-melky-cabrera

Im so excited for this season now, the jays have a chance to compete for the AL and have a better chance at making playoffs with the way the wildcard goes now. Good week for jays fans gone from being a mediocre team to maybe having a chance to contend for the AL. The pitching is going to be the deciding factor the jays have the bats that can contend with any team in the bigs.

I think the wisdom of the Melky signing hinges on how he bounces back without PEDs. The guy was a beast here in San Francisco for the first part of this season, but the question afterwards had to be how much of his performance was attributable to cheating. Looking back, one wonders how much of his career's body of work is tainted. No matter what, Melky's definitely an upgrade over Bonifacio, or Gose at this stage of his career, but how much of an upgrade remains to be seen. One thing goes without saying, is that after being very patient over the last couple of seasons and seemingly foregoing a few chances to trade and spend to push the team into contender status, AA has decided the time is now. That article, and others that I have read, point out that it's a logical time to do it: the Yankees are showing their age and both the Rays and the Red Sox are in transition. The Orioles took a major step forward last season but by and large, the division looks far different than it has in years, with almost all teams being potential contenders but none being a juggernaut (and certainly, there aren't two juggernauts the way there have been most of the time recently). Then along came the fire sale.

Archived