508 replies to this topic

#421 Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,034 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:43 AM

Spring training means nothing, at all. Guys on the fringe are getting inflated playing time to audition them. Veterans secure in their spots are working on their weaker pitches, or practising hitting curve balls to the opposite field, or taking late game pinch hit at bats in lieu of starting. Ace pitchers are going 50 pitches in, power pitchers are throwing 85 mph. Once preseason hockey is over, does anyone remember which split squad won more games? Why should it be any different with baseball?

So my 17-7 Mariners aren't WS faves?

Regardless, as an M's fan, I'm kinda stoked for the upcoming season. We have a young team with some veteran bats to help out, and a pretty good starting five with arguably the most dominating pitcher in game as the ace. Bullpen looks shakey, but Wilhelmsen became a solid closer late in the year.

Lineup looks like/could look like:
SP - Felix, Iwakuma, Saunders, Beaven, Erasmo Ramirez
CLOSER - Wilhelmsen
C - Montero
1B - Smoak
2B - Ackley
3B - Seager
SS - Ryan
LF - Morse/Bay/Ibanez
CF - Gutierrez
RF - Saunders
DH - Morales

I can live with that!

Kershaw_zps0cb5a848.jpg

#422 gmen81

gmen81

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,809 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:53 PM

Yahoo League created.

league ID:158540

password is canucks

League will be rotisserie instead of head to head.

Draft date is set for March 31st at 4:30(subject to change if needed)

Other changes can be made too as this is my 1st time creating a league.

Edited by Bob Corkum, 24 March 2013 - 01:26 PM.

Posted Image

#423 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

So my 17-7 Mariners aren't WS faves?

Regardless, as an M's fan, I'm kinda stoked for the upcoming season. We have a young team with some veteran bats to help out, and a pretty good starting five with arguably the most dominating pitcher in game as the ace. Bullpen looks shakey, but Wilhelmsen became a solid closer late in the year.

Lineup looks like/could look like:
SP - Felix, Iwakuma, Saunders, Beaven, Erasmo Ramirez
CLOSER - Wilhelmsen
C - Montero
1B - Smoak
2B - Ackley
3B - Seager
SS - Ryan
LF - Morse/Bay/Ibanez
CF - Gutierrez
RF - Saunders
DH - Morales

I can live with that!

I think the Mariners will be a better team this year. Unfortunately, so will the Angels and A's. However, losing Hamilton will be big for the Rangers, I don't know what to expect from them.
Posted Image

LUC BOURDON: FEB 16TH, 1987 - MAY 29TH, 2008

#424 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:41 PM

Wow, 8 years and $167 million for Buster. He's the best catcher in baseball, but that's a lot of money.
Posted Image

#425 Hunter56

Hunter56

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:26 PM

That extension Verlander got is crazy!

#426 gmen81

gmen81

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,809 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:28 PM

This might be the first year in a few years where I am not in a fantasy baseball pool.

Posted Image

#427 Please Call 911

Please Call 911

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:00 PM

Yu Darvish damn :(

Too late to join fantasy pool? Will be cheering for my M's and Giants all season baby!

Not a bandwagoner lol, I spent some time in San Francisco during 2010 and fell in love with the team, but they will always be second to Seattle :)

Posted Image

Please Call 911

Thanks Mash!

#428 gmen81

gmen81

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,809 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:42 PM

Nobody joined, so I deleted it.

Still can do one if people are interested though.
Posted Image

#429 Please Call 911

Please Call 911

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:52 AM

San Francisco Baby!!!

Posted Image

To go along with....

Posted Image

If only the Mariners could win one :( Just win one, to end the last 40 years of suffering

In other news; Whatever happened to this thread? This thread used to be one of the most active non hockey threads on CDC. What happened?

Posted Image

Please Call 911

Thanks Mash!

#430 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,187 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:39 PM

San Francisco Baby!!!

Posted Image

To go along with....

Posted Image

If only the Mariners could win one :( Just win one, to end the last 40 years of suffering

In other news; Whatever happened to this thread? This thread used to be one of the most active non hockey threads on CDC.  What happened?

Baseball season just started....and the Jays are sucking so far....

Edit: I guess the biggest story so far would be Yu coming to within an out of a perfect game, or maybe Harper's start...(Sorry, GM)

Edited by RUPERTKBD, 08 April 2013 - 12:41 PM.

Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#431 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:36 PM

Sorry Bob, my wife's given me a few subtle hints that she thinks my fantasy sports playing is a waste of time. Sure, I could stand up to her, but when in the hell has a husband ever done that before?
Posted Image

#432 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:38 PM

Zack Greinke broke his collarbone in a fight with Carlos Quentin last night, after Quentin charged the mound in response to a plunking (the third time Greinke has hit him in his career). Now Quentin will be suspended, but Greinke is out 6-8 weeks. As a Giants fan (and thus, Dodger-hater) I'm not too upset.
Posted Image

#433 Please Call 911

Please Call 911

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:33 PM

Zack Greinke broke his collarbone in a fight with Carlos Quentin last night, after Quentin charged the mound in response to a plunking (the third time Greinke has hit him in his career). Now Quentin will be suspended, but Greinke is out 6-8 weeks. As a Giants fan (and thus, Dodger-hater) I'm not too upset.

Sucks for baseball, Grienke is a great pitcher to watch. Never seemed to be able to match his Cy Young Award season, but was a gem to watch while he was on top of his game. Oh well. Don't know what Quentin was thinking

Edited by Please Call 911, 12 April 2013 - 07:37 PM.

Posted Image

Please Call 911

Thanks Mash!

#434 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:45 PM

Paul Konerko made a really interesting point about the length of Quentin's suspension. Don Mattingly had suggested that Quentin should be suspended as long as Greinke was hurt for (Carlos ultimately received 8 games). But Konerko brought up that if a pitcher is buzzing a batter inside (as Greinke was with Quentin), and then hits him on the hand and breaks his wrist, that batter misses a couple of months. But it's just "part of the game" and the pitcher likely receives no supplemental discipline, nor do they even get ejected most of the time.

What it boils down to is that batters have no recourse when they're unhappy with the pitcher. Sure, sometimes a teammate pitcher will throw at an opposing batter, but that's not the same. Not saying Carlos should've charged the mound, and he definitely deserved a suspension, just that the way pitchers and hitters are treated by the disciplinary process is unfair and Mattingly needs to accept that.
Posted Image

#435 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:22 PM

Well, one month into the season and too many unexpected surprises to even mention. The Rangers survived the loss of Josh Hamilton without missing a beat, while the Angels' retooling hasn't helped a lick to keep them from Houston Astros territory. Meanwhile, the loaded up Jays are floundering, erstwhile ace Ricky Romero is in the minors and the batters tend to be closer to Mendoza territory than All-star territory. Meanwhile the rebuilding Red Sox are dominating. Who'd a thunk?
Posted Image

#436 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:52 PM

So yeah, Adeiny Hechavarria, whom you may remember from the "Remember him?" list, had a pretty decent day. First AB, smokes a 3-run triple off Roy Halladay. Then, with very little room to better that, he does anyways, coming up with the bases loaded again and chasing the Doc with a grand slam. That's 7 RBI in 2 innings to add to his previous career total of 18.

In other notes, my how the mighty have fallen, as that unfortunate outing shoots Doc's ERA to somewhere between low earth orbit and Neptune. If last year was a warning sign, is this the year the wheels fall off completely for him? The Phillies are paying him $20 million this year, though I imagine they're pleased that his option for next year isn't going to vest.
Posted Image

#437 Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,034 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:19 AM

In other notes, my how the mighty have fallen, as that unfortunate outing shoots Doc's ERA to somewhere between low earth orbit and Neptune. If last year was a warning sign, is this the year the wheels fall off completely for him? The Phillies are paying him $20 million this year, though I imagine they're pleased that his option for next year isn't going to vest.

Yah, that contract's not looking too good these days, eh?

As far as my Mariners go, I'm actually pretty impressed so far. Felix/Hisashi have been a very solid one-two punch. Kyle Seager's starting to look like he did last year. Morse has the power, but his average is crap. Unfortuantely that middle infield is garbage at the plate. They gotta do something about Ryan/Ackley. Just ain't happening.

Edited by Raoul Duke, 11 May 2013 - 10:19 AM.

Kershaw_zps0cb5a848.jpg

#438 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:01 PM

Yah, that contract's not looking too good these days, eh?

As far as my Mariners go, I'm actually pretty impressed so far. Felix/Hisashi have been a very solid one-two punch. Kyle Seager's starting to look like he did last year. Morse has the power, but his average is crap. Unfortuantely that middle infield is garbage at the plate. They gotta do something about Ryan/Ackley. Just ain't happening.

Yeah, I remember when Ackley was actually projected to be able to hit, when he had an average over 270 as a rookie. Sure hasn't panned out that way. Nice to see that the Mariners are actually getting some hitting. With the way the A's are sinking right now, they could jump up into second in the AL West pretty quickly. That's a step in the right direction. Jumping the Rangers might be a little more challenging though.

I love how the M's are so much better than the Angels despite a payroll of $50 million less. Gotta know who to commit your money to I guess. It's also pretty amazing that the Angels owe Pujols and Hamilton combined over $300 million before their respective contracts expire, but they're paying their best player $500,000. Somehow I think Trout might get a raise for next season.
Posted Image

#439 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:45 PM

What in the hell is up with the Blue Jays? Talk about bad pitching, only the triple-A Houston Astros are worse than the Blue Jays.
Posted Image

#440 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:02 PM

Totally crazy game today between the ChiSox and Mariners. Was scoreless through 13 innings.

In the top of the 14th the Sox score 5 runs. The Mariners respond by scoring 5 in the bottom of the 14th to tie it up.

Chicago eventually won it 7-5 in 16innings.

#441 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 69,262 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:24 PM

Posted Image

Lol.

307mg00.jpg

#442 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 69,262 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:01 PM

New York Yankees star Mark Teixeira to have season ending surgery.

http://on-msn.com/16AvVcs

307mg00.jpg

#443 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,187 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:15 AM

New York Yankees star Mark Teixeira to have season ending surgery.

http://on-msn.com/16AvVcs

Tough year for Tex, but it's hard to feel bad for the Yankees about anything. Anyway, Overbay seems to be filling in nicely and what's up with Ichiro? All of a sudden we're seeing this power that the Seattle guys said he had all along, but sacrificed it for average....
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#444 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 69,262 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:05 PM

Manny Ramirez has signed a minor-league contract with the Texas Rangers.

307mg00.jpg

#445 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:41 PM

Manny Ramirez has signed a minor-league contract with the Texas Rangers.

Thanks, TSN.

Posted Image

#446 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 69,262 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:27 PM

All Star Game History:

National League - 43 wins
American League - 38 wins
Ties - 2

Edited by -Vintage Canuck-, 16 July 2013 - 12:27 PM.

307mg00.jpg

#447 Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,034 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:16 AM

Is there anything more enjoyable than watching that douchebag Lawrie lose his sheeeeit every single game? Sorry, Jays fans. Brett Lawrie is a friggin turd.

M's six in a row. Niiiice. (Stop winning Oakland/Texas)

My Dodgers are gonna win the World Series this year. Just watch......

WATCH.....

Edited by Raoul Duke, 22 July 2013 - 12:17 AM.

Kershaw_zps0cb5a848.jpg

#448 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 69,262 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:42 AM

@Sportsnet: Report: #Yankees Alex Rodriguez could be suspended until 2015: http://t.co/26h2Zktebe #MLB

307mg00.jpg

#449 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,460 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:25 AM

Pirates wins 81st game of season, ending a streak of losing seasons that dates back to 1992

:towel:

Posted Image

Edited by Wolfman Jack, 04 September 2013 - 04:26 AM.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.
Blaise Pascal

#450 Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,034 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:42 AM

Beauty walk-off HR by Van Slyke last night. This team is s friggin exciting to watch now.

Gonna be tough to stop Kershaw, Grienke, Nolasco, and Ryu in a playoff series.

Kershaw_zps0cb5a848.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.