The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The MLB Thread- 2014 Season

gmen81

Pretty pumped for this season. Go Angels!

Anyone gonna be watching the World Baseball Classic? Starts today.

I will! Does anyone know if it'll be televised? I checked the listings for TSN, Sportsnet, TSN2, even TheScore, and found nothin!

Oh, and also: Reds/Jays 2013!!! :)

The finals are in San Francisco. I had half a mind to try and get tickets, but being that the odds of Canada being in it by then, I haven't really looked into it. Might still though.

Yeah, it'll more than likely be Japan and one of the Carribean teams in the finals. The U.S. doesn't have much depth this year especially at pitching; R.A Dickey and that's it really, would've been good to have Verlander playing.

I will! Does anyone know if it'll be televised? I checked the listings for TSN, Sportsnet, TSN2, even TheScore, and found nothin!

Oh, and also: Reds/Jays 2013!!! :)

It'll be on MLB network, not sure if you guys can get that up there, also ESPN Deportes (but that'll be in spanish) you can probably see it somewhere online if no TV stations have it. Good luck!

While we're on the topic of the WBC.

So, Martin ditch the team because he didn't want to play catcher because he thinks it will take a toll on his body. It was a pretty selfish move on his part, but why didn't they just ask him to play 3rd instead and then move Lawrie to 2nd? It's a win-win situation for both parties.

I'm not sure I totally understand the point of the WBC. I mean, I like the idea of an international tournament, but this one just seems to have so little excitement around it. The players don't really care, there are far too few fans, it doesn't get much coverage in the media, and major league teams are very wary of it lest their players get hurt. I'll probably try and watch the Canada-USA game, but that's probably true for most fans, that there's one matchup they're actually interested in and the other ones will be empty stadiums and low ratings. This morning's South Korea-Australia matchup in Taiwan got 1,481 fans into the stadium.

I'm not sure I totally understand the point of the WBC. I mean, I like the idea of an international tournament, but this one just seems to have so little excitement around it. The players don't really care, there are far too few fans, it doesn't get much coverage in the media, and major league teams are very wary of it lest their players get hurt. I'll probably try and watch the Canada-USA game, but that's probably true for most fans, that there's one matchup they're actually interested in and the other ones will be empty stadiums and low ratings. This morning's South Korea-Australia matchup in Taiwan got 1,481 fans into the stadium.

Did you see the first game, Chinese Taipei vs Australia? It was sold out (like 19,000) and the crowd was nuts, they went crazy everytime the Taipei pitcher threw a strike -- like EVERY time!

Same goes for Japan vs Brazil, sold out and the crowd was nuts then too.

Not very great attendance in the games that don't have the home country team playing, which is understandable. The U.S. games should have pretty good attendance -- at least I think they will lol. The MLB network has some pretty good coverage, they've shown just about every game so far.

Whats up with the Blue Jays? I thought they were suppose to be the favorite to win the World Series. Yet they seem to be getting their asses beat every game. I havent seen their GF record, its spring training and it doesnt mean much, but shouldnt they be at least competing?

It's spring training, while bother giving 100% in games that don't matter, in risk of getting a injury. The only players who should be going 100% are players who are fighting for a spot on the team. Right now, those spots are 2nd base and a backup catcher.

Besides, I remember two years ago the Blue Jays had an awesome record in spring training but that didn't translate into the regular season.

It's spring training, while bother giving 100% in games that don't matter, in risk of getting a injury. The only players who should be going 100% are players who are fighting for a spot on the team. Right now, those spots are 2nd base and a backup catcher.

Besides, I remember two years ago the Blue Jays had an awesome record in spring training but that didn't translate into the regular season.

I agree. Spring training doesnt mean much. But if the Jays arent giving it 100% that means the other teams arent giving it 100% either. Then why are they getting blown out every game? Listen, Im in no panic. Im just wondering why they're losing by 9, 10, 11 runs.

Spring training means nothing, at all. Guys on the fringe are getting inflated playing time to audition them. Veterans secure in their spots are working on their weaker pitches, or practising hitting curve balls to the opposite field, or taking late game pinch hit at bats in lieu of starting. Ace pitchers are going 50 pitches in, power pitchers are throwing 85 mph. Once preseason hockey is over, does anyone remember which split squad won more games? Why should it be any different with baseball?

It'll be on MLB network, not sure if you guys can get that up there, also ESPN Deportes (but that'll be in spanish) you can probably see it somewhere online if no TV stations have it. Good luck!

I found some games on Sportsnet One!! :)

Italy v. Mexico, Dominican Republic v. Venezuela, and Mexico v. USA. Can't seem to find any Canada games though.

I found some games on Sportsnet One!! :)

Italy v. Mexico, Dominican Republic v. Venezuela, and Mexico v. USA. Can't seem to find any Canada games though.

I'm certain they'll show US vs Canada when that comes on Sunday.

Canada vs Italy comes on today, would think they'd air that one up there...

Archived