514 replies to this topic

#91 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:23 AM

Well, my prediction of the Cards upsetting the Braves looks pretty smart right now, but I grossly overestimated the heart of the Rangers. And my Bay Area bias has really shown through, with both of those teams facing very long odds to advance. I might give a slight edge to the A's, because they're coming home and are so experienced in finagling their way out of tight spots that they'll hold out hope to the last out. The Giants just look bad: I was annoyed that they gave Bumgarner the ball yesterday, and consistent with my gut, the only time they showed any life at all was when Timmy L came in for two excellent innings of relief. Fact was, no amount of pitching would have helped with Arroyo throwing the gem that he did, but being buried so early sure didn't help morale. Vogelsong will need the game of his life in game 3 just to keep this thing going (and the Giants need to get to Bailey early), and I wouldn't be at all shocked if Bochy would want to go right back to Cain for game 4.

The Orioles looked decent yesterday though, hanging tough against CC Sabathia and not imploding until late in the game. Today is such a test, with the rookie Chen facing the decidedly not-rookie Andy Pettitte. The Orioles know they can't win three straight at Yankee Stadium, so the pressure is very firmly on their shoulders.
Posted Image

LUC BOURDON: FEB 16TH, 1987 - MAY 29TH, 2008

#92 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,415 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:44 AM

Hey GM, I haven't been paying too close attention to the Giants... What's up with TL coming out of the bullpen? Why isn't he starting?

I gotta say, I agree with your take on the Yankees - O's series. I think if Baltimore had found a way to take that game, the series would have a whole different complexion. They have to take care of Pettitte now.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#93 Standing_Tall#37

Standing_Tall#37

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:46 AM

Refs???

I didn't see the game, but my understanding of the infield fly rule is that there has to be an infielder with a reasonable expectation of catching the ball. The distance from the actual infield is not the determining factor.

As far as I can tell, the rule was applied correctly. Sorry if you're a Braves fan who feels ripped off, but like Chipper himself said, they lost because they threw the ball away, not because of an Umpire's call.

Why have outfielders then? Any ball that makes it to the outfield should be an automatic out, because that's what happened.
The infield fly rule is to prevent teams from dropping the ball on purpose to create a double play....when the ball is that far away from the bases you'd better have strasburg playing the outfield, throwing a 100mph to Halliday playing second if you expect too turn a double play. Hence the outfield fly rule. Just the playoffs seem like a weird time to try it.

#94 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,415 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:04 AM

Why have outfielders then? Any ball that makes it to the outfield should be an automatic out, because that's what happened.
The infield fly rule is to prevent teams from dropping the ball on purpose to create a double play....when the ball is that far away from the bases you'd better have strasburg playing the outfield, throwing a 100mph to Halliday playing second if you expect too turn a double play. Hence the outfield fly rule. Just the playoffs seem like a weird time to try it.

Actually, I agree that the situation that occurred in Atlanta was not the one that the Infield Fly rule was created for. However, the wording of the rule does not make a distinction between the infield and the outfield. It only says that the infielder must be in a position to make the play with an "ordinary" effort.

Seeing as the SS was pretty much camped under the ball before shying away at the last moment, the Umpire made the correct determination based on the letter of the rule.

If you'd like the league to re-visit how this rule is interpreted with it's umpires, I'd have no issue with it. In fact, I'd agree. However, this doesn't mean that the Umpire made the incorrect call, nor does it mean that the Braves were robbed.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#95 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:11 PM

Hey GM, I haven't been paying too close attention to the Giants... What's up with TL coming out of the bullpen? Why isn't he starting?

I gotta say, I agree with your take on the Yankees - O's series. I think if Baltimore had found a way to take that game, the series would have a whole different complexion. They have to take care of Pettitte now.

Timmy had a poor season and the Giants probably don't feel that confident in him right now. However, I think they may have intended to start him in a 7 game series down the road, they just saw Bumgarner and Vogelsong as being more consistent down the stretch. I personally tend to disagree: even without my personal like of Lincecum, it's a fact that Bumgarner had only one quality start since August 20th (at home against sadsack Colorado), while Vogelsong had finished strong but had also gone through a really bad stretch, and I think their overall strong numbers belie their late season struggles. Lincecum had a few bad games near the end too, but I still feel that his past strong performances under the postseason spotlight should have gotten him a little more credit than he did. On the other hand, it's not uncommon for starters to make a few relief appearances from the bullpen in the playoffs, and then start a few days later, so I might be reading too much into it.
Posted Image

#96 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:14 PM

It was a questionable application of the rule, but the rule itself is there for a very good reason.
Posted Image

#97 Tony Romo

Tony Romo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:59 PM

Man I love playoff baseball
Posted Image Posted Image

Thanks to Raoul Duke for the Russell Wilson sig.

#98 Standing_Tall#37

Standing_Tall#37

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:18 PM

Cards are looking good and I think the yankees will get out of the American league, although I would like to see the winner of moneyball/Detroit win it all.

#99 shiznak

shiznak

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,401 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:29 PM

What the hell, I didn't realise that Washington shut down Strasburg completely. I thought it was just the regular season, so he'd be rested for the playoffs.

Edited by shiznak, 08 October 2012 - 11:32 PM.

BaOiJ02.png

#100 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:27 AM

What the hell, I didn't realise that Washington shut down Strasburg completely. I thought it was just the regular season, so he'd be rested for the playoffs.

Nope, that might have made a modicum of sense. They let him start regular season games (even ones the Nationals didn't really need as they carried a sizable lead) and when he reached the arbitrary threshold, they said no more. Spacing him out at the end or giving him a lighter load would have made a ton of sense. What they did was just plain, extra strength stupid. I understand wanting to protect a young arm coming out of Tommy John. But taking a season where you're the first overall seed for granted, as if you know you'll be back, is just stupid (and a bit Canucks 2012-like). I'm sure Chipper Jones thought he'd be winning a whole bunch more rings after getting one in his rookie season. How'd that work out for him? Treating your fans with that much disdain-hey guys, thanks for the support but we're going to voluntarily cripple our chances this year, even though there'd be an easy fix to avoid it and limit his innings, so come on out next year again-is a big no no in my books.
Posted Image

#101 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:00 PM

Ugh, if the two Bay Area teams go down I'll probably have to pull for Baltimore. Either that or Cincinnati, once I get over the fact that they knocked out my boys. Yankees-Tigers, Nats-Reds is a worst case LCS round for me though, and it's the most likely one.
Posted Image

#102 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:30 PM

Ugh, if the two Bay Area teams go down I'll probably have to pull for Baltimore. Either that or Cincinnati, once I get over the fact that they knocked out my boys. Yankees-Tigers, Nats-Reds is a worst case LCS round for me though, and it's the most likely one.

Nats-Reds would be a dynamite series! Let's go Reds!

/=S=/

#103 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,415 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:33 PM

That would be my preference. I'd be fine with either of those teams being in the series.

As far as the AL goes, I'm on the "anyone but the Yankees" bandwagon.

#104 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:36 PM

Strasburg being shut down pretty much sealed my fantasy fate

it had such a promise :<

3499h5x.jpg
Johnny Gaudreau>any Casucks

Edler, Markstrom, Hansen, 2nd round pick 2014 to Islanders for Ryan Strome, 5th overall pick 2014

This is fairly even as well.

#105 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:40 PM

Strasburg being shut down pretty much sealed my fantasy fate

it had such a promise :<

Deaf ears here, Bautista's injury really killed me.
Posted Image

#106 Tony Romo

Tony Romo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:55 PM

Man I'm pumped San Fran and Oakland won!
Posted Image Posted Image

Thanks to Raoul Duke for the Russell Wilson sig.

#107 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:13 AM

I hate the Nationals and Yankees and I live in the Bay Area. Sadly, it's a long shot for any of the series to swing my way. I would really enjoy seeing Edwin Jackson get spanked around by the Cardinals tonight though. Washington's scheduled game 4 starter is Detwiler, who I wouldn't feel that great about throwing out there in an elimination game. St Louis would counter with Kyle Lohse, who quietly had a remarkable year, going 16-3. However, Lohse was not very good in the playoffs last year for the Cards.

UPDATE: 7th inning right now, and the Cards are up 6-0, having hung 4 of those runs on starter Edwin Jackson. Fingers crossed for the lynch mob should they bow out due to subpar pitching.

UPDATE 2: Giants are still alive, wooooooo.

Edited by Gretzky's Mullet, 10 October 2012 - 04:44 PM.

Posted Image

#108 gmen81

gmen81

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,099 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

Raul Ibanez is ridiculous.
Posted Image

#109 Green Building

Green Building

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:53 PM

Raul Ibanez is ridiculous.

Man, I am as far from a Yankee fan as they come, but Jesus Christ did he ever own it tonight. In the zone and cool as a cucumber, even when rounding the bases he seemed so ho-hum, until home plate that is...

Great game. Playoff baseball is the only baseball.

#110 gmen81

gmen81

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,099 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:22 PM

Man, I am as far from a Yankee fan as they come, but Jesus Christ did he ever own it tonight. In the zone and cool as a cucumber, even when rounding the bases he seemed so ho-hum, until home plate that is...

Great game. Playoff baseball is the only baseball.

I missed the 9th inning homer, because I was driving home. Then I get home I turn on the TV and the 1st thing I see was his walk-off game winning homer.

I too hate the Yankees, but that was pretty sweet to see.
Posted Image

#111 gmen81

gmen81

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,099 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:13 PM

Wow Oakland scores 3 in the bottom of the 9th to force a game 5.

Oh and gotta love PVR's. I was playing video games thinking the game was done, but left it on Sportsnet. Go on twitter and read that Oakland won, so of course I was able to rewind and watch the whole bottom of the 9th. Gotta love the emotion shown by the A's players.
Posted Image

#112 Green Building

Green Building

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:14 PM

And chalk up another walk-off for the playoffs this year. Oakland rises up to force a Detroit choke. Talk about what the definition of a clutch 9th inning is after looking like they blew their chance in the 8th.

#113 gmen81

gmen81

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,099 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:18 PM

After watching the GWR. I wonder if Garcia had picked up the ball cleanly if he would have gotten Smith at home.
Posted Image

#114 Green Building

Green Building

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:25 PM

After watching the GWR. I wonder if Garcia had picked up the ball cleanly if he would have gotten Smith at home.

You know, I wondered that too, but I really doubt he was going to outthrow the speed and determination of Smith.

You just know that he has to feel like an ass for not even getting a chance though. He'll get another shot tomorrow.

And was it just me? Or did the double to send runners to 2nd and 3rd look like Valverde missed up in the zone? Hell of a time for a mistake. It looked like the splitter to Crisp was high too.

#115 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:26 PM

A's went MONEYBALL on the Tigers tonight! What a game!

/=S=/

#116 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,415 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:55 AM

Well GM, it looks like your dream of a Bay area series is still alive. Giants pwned, but the Oakland win was something!

Looked like Valverde was throwing BP out there...

BTW: Good on Ibanez, but I still hope the Yanks die like dogs...

#117 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:37 AM

I don't think so, Smith took off as soon as that one was hit and had a lot of speed coming around 3rd base. Garcia would've needed a perfect throw to get him

Well GM, it looks like your dream of a Bay area series is still alive. Giants pwned, but the Oakland win was something!

Looked like Valverde was throwing BP out there...

BTW: Good on Ibanez, but I still hope the Yanks die like dogs...

Well that's what I want to see, but my wife is pretty much ready to kill me right now being that I've been sitting on my ass every evening. We won't have to wait long to find out, the Cincy-SF game is early today. I keep browsing the Athletics website to see if I can pick up a cheap pair of tickets when they open up the upper deck, but for some reason they haven't done that, wtf.

I've always like Ibanez, but that was absolutely devastating yesterday for a Yankee hater like me.
Posted Image

#118 gmen81

gmen81

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,099 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:50 AM

Garcia may have not gotten Smith at home, but if he did get the ball cleanly it would almost look like Sid Bream sliding home against the Pirates to win the game.
Posted Image

#119 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,415 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:26 AM

Garcia may have not gotten Smith at home, but if he did get the ball cleanly it would almost look like Sid Bream sliding home against the Pirates to win the game.

...at about twice the speed.

Only Sid Bream could've made that play close. ;) 

Edited by RUPERTKBD, 11 October 2012 - 10:26 AM.

#120 Sidney Crosby.

Sidney Crosby.

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:26 PM

Looks like the Giants are about complete the 0-2 comeback! Quite impressive

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.