RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,469 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:15 PM

Dammit, Reds! :sadno:

Looks like I'm hopping on the Moneyball bandwagon! :towel:

Just tuned in after the Ludwick single to make it 6-4. I really thought that Bruce was going to come through after fouling off all of those pitches....
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#123 nux4lyfe

nux4lyfe

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,987 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:53 PM

Oak A's looking like the Canucks in game 6 right now..

13zpnd4.jpg

Thank You Twilight Sparkle for the dope sig!

#124 Green Building

Green Building

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:10 PM

Here we go, game 5, Yanks going down tomorrow.

Rather slow game, but playoff excitement nonetheless. Crappy for Joba taking the broken bat in the elbow, one should think he won't be available tomorrow either.

#125 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:44 PM

Way to go Giants! Too bad about the A's though, no Battle of the Bay series this year.

ARod, also known as ARoid, AFraud and PayRod, isn't getting the ANod for the starting lineup today and is going to be, uhh, ABenched (?)
Posted Image

LUC BOURDON: FEB 16TH, 1987 - MAY 29TH, 2008

#126 Jaimito

Jaimito

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,824 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:45 PM

cheering for nationals/expos. choked a 6-0 lead, hope they can hang on
Posted Image

#127 Green Building

Green Building

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:16 PM

cheering for nationals/expos. choked a 6-0 lead, hope they can hang on

Don't hold your breath... Tie game, wow.

#128 Green Building

Green Building

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:19 PM

Don't hold your breath... Tie game, wow.

Or should I say 9-7, WOW.

Character comeback by the Cardinals with 6 runs in 3 innings. Come on Nationals, I want extra innings!

#129 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:25 PM

not looking good here for the Nats. Down to their last out now

too bad, was really rooting for them.

well I'm sorry that gd is soo perfect

#130 Gran Turismo

Gran Turismo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,209 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:40 PM

St. Louis is full of crap. How the hell can they keep coming back like this?
Posted Image

#131 Tyler18

Tyler18

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:42 PM

The Cardinals down to their final strike twice, again! They are something else, down by 6 they grind it all the way back. Sucks for the Nats but with Strasburg back and a more mature Harper they will be a force force he next few years. I'm cheering for the cardinals in hopes of seeing more finnishes like that.

#132 g_bassi13

g_bassi13

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,672 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:42 PM

Happy to see the Cards take that one. It got tense.

ucuxpJV.png

On the off-chance I die, gbassi, I love you.

#133 Sidney Crosby.

Sidney Crosby.

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:55 PM

If the Nats didn't put Strasburg on the self, would it have impacted the series?

Posted Image

#134 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:15 PM

Thank god the Yankees won today.

I got real nervous at the bottom of the 8th. Detroit I going to be tough, but it's going to be a good series. Hopefully Yankees win!
Posted Image

Posted Image

#135 Green Building

Green Building

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:20 PM

If the Nats didn't put Strasburg on the self, would it have impacted the series?

Tough question, and one I am not qualified to answer, but here goes, Strasburg has Tommy John surgery last offseason and is shut down after 159 innings, due to potential risk of further or recurring injury on their young star, and potentially related to whats-his-names comeback last season after similar surgery and innings pitched afterwards (genuine name ignorance). Now, other GM's are bitching because somehow, their feelings are butthurt?

Cry babies.

Would Strasburg have pitched in Game 5? or in games that the Nats had one anyways?

#136 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:29 PM

I am happy that the Nationals lost, mainly because of the Strasburg situation. Do I understand wanting to protect your investment with a young arm? Yes. But the team was way out front a month ago, and knew they were heading for the postseason. However, they set themselves an arbitrary threshold for how many innings to let him pitch, and then instead of skipping him a few starts or resting him for the playoffs, they let him pitch all the way up to threshold in September, and then shut him down. Everyone knew the team was headed for the postseason, and they could've known perfectly well they'd have far more use for him now than they did then. But no, they played it extra stupid and just pitched him until they wanted to shut him down. Either they are completely taking the playoffs for granted (you damned well better believe that Baltimore wouldn't have shut him down, if they had someone of his calibre) or they really are that dumb. Either way, they deserve what they get. Rizzo should be fired and Johnson should be fired, for some of the utmost stupidity I have ever seen. Anyways, I am reveling in this right now, because as a Canucks fan I hate seeing teams not make the right choices to win (I think the Canucks were also guilty of that this season). As an aside, I can't stand that arrogant little prick Harper, but that wasn't my main reason for cheering against the Nationals. Also the Giants get home field advantage, but that's definitely a be-careful-what-you-wish for situation.
Posted Image

#137 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:36 PM

Oh, also talk about some of the World's worst baseball fans. These people were booing every single pitch call that didn't go their way. There were pitches that were a foot outside against Cardinal batters, and these jackasses behind home plate would stand up with their hands raised like Jim Joyce had just cost them a no-hitter when they were called balls. Seriously, Philly fans are pretty brutal, Red Sox fans the most obnoxious, Yankee fans relentless, but those National fans are just the worst combination of belligerent and ignorant. I'd cut them a break since they've only had a team for a few years, but I'm just so glad not to have to see anymore games broadcast from that stadium.
Posted Image

#138 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,533 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:04 AM

Posted Image
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.
Blaise Pascal

#139 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,178 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:51 AM

Boy, I'd watch out for the St. Louis Clutchinals again this year. Last time around they made history by being the team with the fewest regular season wins to earn a division title and win it all IIRC?); this time you may attribute their comeback to the Nats' pitchers choking late and Strasburg getting shut down early so they didn't need to face them, but the hitters still need to deliver when the chances come.

Also hopefully the Tigers can get it done against the Yanks this season, and hope they can finally pull through! (I'm getting Verlander would be matched up against CC? Those would be epic games)

Edited by g@m3b0i, 13 October 2012 - 09:56 AM.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#140 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,469 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:12 AM

It certainly wouldn't have hurt....

I agree with GM. The way the Nats handled the SS situation was uber stupid. I understand limiting the innings, but how much more sense would it have made to cut his innings down at the end of the regular season, when the playoffs were basically a foregone conclusion.

Even if you don't have Strasburg start, he could have been effective in middle/long relief, or coming in later for the hold like Lincecum did for the Giants.

That choke job was reminiscent of the the Expos, except at least Montreal died with their absolute best pitcher on the mound, not out of the lineup.

Posted Image

Yeah, I'm with you Norm. All the teams I was pulling for are gone. Now it's all about beating the Yankees.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#141 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:14 PM

Yep, you got that right Rupert.

I guess at this point I'm pulling for a Giant Tiger World Series. Maybe I can even get discount tickets...see what I did there....?
Posted Image

#142 Nathan MacKinnon

Nathan MacKinnon

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,242 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:10 PM

I hate the Yankees but I'm rooting for them to win this year because I want Ichiro to get the ring he deserved but never came close to in Seattle. Go Ichiro!

+1 this post!

Posted Image

Credit to Intoewsables :wub: :wub: :wub:

Formerly known as UMADBRO?

Luongo Supporter. Does not deserve any of this BS

#143 Gally

Gally

KJ's Butler

• Members
  • 5,572 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:11 PM

Fister sucks

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

my mom wouldn't let me touch the laptop because I have to stand after I eat....kinda stupid

#144 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:24 PM

Even liking Ichiro is not enough for me to cheer for the Yankees. Though it would mitigate my displeasure if they did win. Same goes for Raul, always liked him in Seattle (my wife liked him too, but mostly because she likes saying his name). Actually, when you add in ARod and Rafael Soriano you can't deny a pretty solid contingent of ex-Mariners playing for the Yanks. That said, I doubt many Mariner fans are cheering for ARod. Soriano most would not have strong feelings towards, though I remember thinking they were very stupid to trade him (to the Braves for the decidedly unremarkable Horacio Ramirez if I recall correctly).
Posted Image

#145 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:04 PM

Fister sucks

He most definitely does not.
Posted Image

#146 Gally

Gally

KJ's Butler

• Members
  • 5,572 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:25 PM

He most definitely does not.

First couple of innings

Posted Image

my mom wouldn't let me touch the laptop because I have to stand after I eat....kinda stupid

#147 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:58 PM

First couple of innings

What, you mean when he pitched out of a couple of jams and ended up not giving up a single run to one of the league's most potent offences?
Posted Image

#148 Gally

Gally

KJ's Butler

• Members
  • 5,572 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:59 PM

What, you mean when he pitched out of a couple of jams and ended up not giving up a single run to one of the league's most potent offences?

When he gave up 3 straight walks

Posted Image

#149 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:59 PM

The thing for me is, Cano has been equally bad as ARod this postseason, and doesn't catch any flak at all for it, and sure isn't being pinchhit for. Not trying to come across as being in Alex's corner, cause I'm not, but let's call a spade a spade.
Posted Image

#150 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:00 PM

When he gave up 3 straight walks

And, like I said, got out of it unscathed. The ability to pitch out of those jams says easily as much about a pitcher as getting into them in the first place.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.