508 replies to this topic

#181 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:16 AM

That was a brutal call, but there's no way I'm going to feel any sympathy for the New York Yankees. They have crafted their image to be the alpha dogs, with profligacy and hubris unmatched anywhere in pro sports. When you're "that" team, you can't whine about a few bad breaks, because it just makes you look stupid.
Posted Image

LUC BOURDON: FEB 16TH, 1987 - MAY 29TH, 2008

#182 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:44 PM

That was a brutal call, but there's no way I'm going to feel any sympathy for the New York Yankees. They have crafted their image to be the alpha dogs, with profligacy and hubris unmatched anywhere in pro sports. When you're "that" team, you can't whine about a few bad breaks, because it just makes you look stupid.

Can't feel sympathy for the Yankees either.

When one player makes more money than another teams entire roster, you can't be whiny.
CANUCKS TILL I DIE

#183 chisoxin12

chisoxin12

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:49 PM

Are the umpire crews graded throughout the season to determine who gets call to post-season? If so, MLB is in alot of trouble.

#184 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,460 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:16 PM

Baseball should bring in a challenge system like tennis has. Each team gets 3 challenges for a game, for safe/out, fair/foul, fan interference and catch/trap calls. Wouldn't be practical for ball/strike or foul tip and hit batter. If you challenge and are right you keep your challenge, you lose it if you are wrong. If it goes extra innings, one challenge per 3 innings. Sound reasonable?
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.
Blaise Pascal

#185 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:42 PM

Baseball should bring in a challenge system like tennis has. Each team gets 3 challenges for a game, for safe/out, fair/foul, fan interference and catch/trap calls. Wouldn't be practical for ball/strike or foul tip and hit batter. If you challenge and are right you keep your challenge, you lose it if you are wrong. If it goes extra innings, one challenge per 3 innings. Sound reasonable?

In principle I do like it, but I think one challenge per game should be enough, plus you shouldn't lose it if your challenge is successful (it's always driven me nuts that in the NFL, the coach can win 3 challenges but still not get any more). I think in baseball seldom is there more than one true grievance per game, and by limiting it to one review request, you don't slow down the game too much and you keep the managers from using it frivolously. And I do agree that some things can't be reviewable. Ball/strike is a given, and I agree on tips and HBP too. Homers should be reviewed automatically (as they already are). Fair/foul gets a little murky with the "ball went over the bag" thing, frankly I liked it better before where the ball had to bounce at least once fair past the base to be fair. Clearly the main thing that would be reviewed would be safe/out. I'm cool with that, as long as it's only used in extenuating circumstances, like once per game or less.
Posted Image

#186 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:45 PM

In principle I do like it, but I think one challenge per game should be enough, plus you shouldn't lose it if your challenge is successful (it's always driven me nuts that in the NFL, the coach can win 3 challenges but still not get any more). I think in baseball seldom is there more than one true grievance per game, and by limiting it to one review request, you don't slow down the game too much and you keep the managers from using it frivolously. And I do agree that some things can't be reviewable. Ball/strike is a given, and I agree on tips and HBP too. Homers should be reviewed automatically (as they already are). Fair/foul gets a little murky with the "ball went over the bag" thing, frankly I liked it better before where the ball had to bounce at least once fair past the base to be fair. Clearly the main thing that would be reviewed would be safe/out. I'm cool with that, as long as it's only used in extenuating circumstances, like once per game or less.

I think a lot of fans, including myself, would agree with you.

Wouldn't want some bonhead manager throwing out four or five challenges per game. It would slow the game down like crazy and fans would lose interest.
CANUCKS TILL I DIE

#187 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,460 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:30 AM

Actually in tennis you don't lose your challenge if you are right, you can challenge indefinitely as long as you are right, 3 each may be too many, how about 2? They don't carry over to extra innings. If you give them too many managers will burn them to give a reliever a little extra warm up time.

Edited by Norman Clegg, 16 October 2012 - 04:31 AM.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.
Blaise Pascal

#188 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:05 AM

Are the umpire crews graded throughout the season to determine who gets call to post-season? If so, MLB is in alot of trouble.

I'm not sure about that. It seems like they aren't, being that bad umpiring always seems to come to the forefront in the postseason. Or maybe it's just the bigger microscope. For me, the umpiring gaffe that always stands out is Phil Cuzzi robbing Joe Mauer of a double down the left field line that might have finally gotten the Twins past the Yankees. It was in the 2009 ALDS, and the Yankees ended up winning the game to take a stranglehold on the series. But it was an extra inning play that could easily have cost the Twins a run and maybe the game, Joe hit a ball that hit the leftfielder's glove and bounced quite obviously fair and then into the stands. The reason it bugged me so much was that Cuzzi was the leftfield umpire: his only job was to call fair and foul down that line and he cocked it up.

Anyways, the league doesn't seem to ever fire umpires. Joe West and CB Bucknor are probably the two worst and they're still in the league (though neither is umpiring this postseason). The one guy that almost everyone knows for a blown call, Jim Joyce (Galarraga's near perfect game) is actually one of the best and is very well liked by the players.
Posted Image

#189 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,172 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:39 AM

I'm not sure about that. It seems like they aren't, being that bad umpiring always seems to come to the forefront in the postseason. Or maybe it's just the bigger microscope. For me, the umpiring gaffe that always stands out is Phil Cuzzi robbing Joe Mauer of a double down the left field line that might have finally gotten the Twins past the Yankees. It was in the 2009 ALDS, and the Yankees ended up winning the game to take a stranglehold on the series. But it was an extra inning play that could easily have cost the Twins a run and maybe the game, Joe hit a ball that hit the leftfielder's glove and bounced quite obviously fair and then into the stands. The reason it bugged me so much was that Cuzzi was the leftfield umpire: his only job was to call fair and foul down that line and he cocked it up.

Anyways, the league doesn't seem to ever fire umpires. Joe West and CB Bucknor are probably the two worst and they're still in the league (though neither is umpiring this postseason). The one guy that almost everyone knows for a blown call, Jim Joyce (Galarraga's near perfect game) is actually one of the best and is very well liked by the players.

Agree on Joyce. Seeing him admit to robbing Gallarraga of the no-no, gained my respect. I also agree on Bucknor. It baffles me that he still has a job in professional baseball.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#190 chisoxin12

chisoxin12

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:32 AM

As much as I am a White Sox fan, the one that stands out for me was the circumstances of AJ back in the '05 WS run. I still to this day don't know how the umps, the league, and everyone else involved in that play screwed up. It was either a pass ball, strike out, or a hbp, but AJ ended up on first, and they eventually eliminated the Angels. I'll go with fate! It was their year.

#191 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,460 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:01 PM

Old timers must remember the name Don Denkinger (1985 World series)
Blaise Pascal

#192 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,172 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:20 PM

Old timers must remember the name Don Denkinger (1985 World series)

Vaguely. I also kind of remember the Cards imploding afterward...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#193 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:21 PM

rain, rain go away...

well I'm sorry that gd is soo perfect

#194 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,460 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:36 AM

Vaguely. I also kind of remember the Cards imploding afterward...

http://en.wikipedia....i/Don_Denkinger
Blaise Pascal

#195 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,460 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:56 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Blaise Pascal

#196 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,452 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:23 PM

i LOVEEEEEEE it when the high-profile team with all the overpaid athletes gets eliminated. Even better when they're swept!
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#197 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:17 PM

i LOVEEEEEEE it when the high-profile team with all the overpaid athletes gets eliminated. Even better when they're swept!

A-Rods contract is worth more for one year than the entire Oakland roster was, correct?

Either that, or it was Prince. Or both...
CANUCKS TILL I DIE

#198 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:35 PM

Yeah, it's great when a true Cinderella can do that eh? Especially the Tigers, doing it all on that shoestring budget with nothing but a bunch of overachieving youngsters, no big names or big contracts, just a real feel good story. Just one more game and the small market, David v Goliath Cardinals can join them too.
Posted Image

#199 Nathan MacKinnon

Nathan MacKinnon

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,242 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:39 PM

Ichiro :(

Yankees are gone ::D

If it's Tigers vs Cards I'd be cheering for Cabrera and the Tigers but if it's Tigers vs. Giants I'd have to go with the San Fran Giants!! My second favorite team! Though I see the Cards advancing as they're up 3-1...

+1 this post!

Posted Image

Credit to Intoewsables :wub: :wub: :wub:

Formerly known as UMADBRO?

Luongo Supporter. Does not deserve any of this BS

#200 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,172 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:55 AM

Yeah, it's great when a true Cinderella can do that eh? Especially the Tigers, doing it all on that shoestring budget with nothing but a bunch of overachieving youngsters, no big names or big contracts, just a real feel good story. Just one more game and the small market, David v Goliath Cardinals can join them too.

Yeah, the Tigers aren't exactly poor, but it was the Yankees. Didn't matter who beat them, I was going to be happy about it.

#201 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:42 AM

Yeah, the Tigers aren't exactly poor, but it was the Yankees. Didn't matter who beat them, I was going to be happy about it.

Well I'm happy too, but the small market miracle would have been the Athletics or Orioles, not the $135 million Tigers. Good for them, but they floated and underachieved their way through a lackluster season and needed a White Sox choke to get in. Shows that the playoffs can be a real crapshoot, and I don't think they really deserve any praise for what they've done. Fielder makes 23 million, Miguel makes 21 million, Verlander makes 20 million and then they have a whole host of guys in the 5-10 million range.
Posted Image

#202 Ashleigh

Ashleigh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:53 PM

Well I'm happy too, but the small market miracle would have been the Athletics or Orioles, not the $135 million Tigers. Good for them, but they floated and underachieved their way through a lackluster season and needed a White Sox choke to get in. Shows that the playoffs can be a real crapshoot, and I don't think they really deserve any praise for what they've done. Fielder makes 23 million, Miguel makes 21 million, Verlander makes 20 million and then they have a whole host of guys in the 5-10 million range.

U MAD, BRO?

#203 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:06 PM

U MAD, BRO?

Yeah and you know what else, I love internet memes too. You believe that?
Posted Image

#204 chisoxin12

chisoxin12

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:15 AM

I was going to say, the Tigers are not a small market team, but no one comes close to the Yankmees, Red Sox, or Dodgers. Good for them though, this gives baseball fans another team to see on a national level. Ratings might suffer, but who cares?

#205 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:47 PM

Wow, Zito was incredible yesterday. Now hoping for another strong outing from Vogie in game 6.
Posted Image

#206 Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,019 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

I got the feeling that the Giants are storming back. Anyone else? Not that I want that. Eff the Giants.

Kershaw_zps0cb5a848.jpg

#207 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,172 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:42 AM

I got the feeling that the Giants are storming back. Anyone else? Not that I want that. Eff the Giants.

I'm not big on either team, but I'd prefer the Giants over the Cards...

#208 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:36 PM

5-0 Giants in the 2nd. Wow.
CANUCKS TILL I DIE

#209 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,042 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:34 PM

Dem Giants...

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#210 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:36 PM

Booyah Giants, lovin' it right now. Get'r'done in the 9th Romo. This town is absolutely rockin these days.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.