The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The MLB Thread- 2014 Season

gmen81

The Cardinals down to their final strike twice, again! They are something else, down by 6 they grind it all the way back. Sucks for the Nats but with Strasburg back and a more mature Harper they will be a force force he next few years. I'm cheering for the cardinals in hopes of seeing more finnishes like that.

If the Nats didn't put Strasburg on the self, would it have impacted the series?

Tough question, and one I am not qualified to answer, but here goes, Strasburg has Tommy John surgery last offseason and is shut down after 159 innings, due to potential risk of further or recurring injury on their young star, and potentially related to whats-his-names comeback last season after similar surgery and innings pitched afterwards (genuine name ignorance). Now, other GM's are bitching because somehow, their feelings are butthurt?

Cry babies.

Would Strasburg have pitched in Game 5? or in games that the Nats had one anyways?

I am happy that the Nationals lost, mainly because of the Strasburg situation. Do I understand wanting to protect your investment with a young arm? Yes. But the team was way out front a month ago, and knew they were heading for the postseason. However, they set themselves an arbitrary threshold for how many innings to let him pitch, and then instead of skipping him a few starts or resting him for the playoffs, they let him pitch all the way up to threshold in September, and then shut him down. Everyone knew the team was headed for the postseason, and they could've known perfectly well they'd have far more use for him now than they did then. But no, they played it extra stupid and just pitched him until they wanted to shut him down. Either they are completely taking the playoffs for granted (you damned well better believe that Baltimore wouldn't have shut him down, if they had someone of his calibre) or they really are that dumb. Either way, they deserve what they get. Rizzo should be fired and Johnson should be fired, for some of the utmost stupidity I have ever seen. Anyways, I am reveling in this right now, because as a Canucks fan I hate seeing teams not make the right choices to win (I think the Canucks were also guilty of that this season). As an aside, I can't stand that arrogant little prick Harper, but that wasn't my main reason for cheering against the Nationals. Also the Giants get home field advantage, but that's definitely a be-careful-what-you-wish for situation.

Oh, also talk about some of the World's worst baseball fans. These people were booing every single pitch call that didn't go their way. There were pitches that were a foot outside against Cardinal batters, and these jackasses behind home plate would stand up with their hands raised like Jim Joyce had just cost them a no-hitter when they were called balls. Seriously, Philly fans are pretty brutal, Red Sox fans the most obnoxious, Yankee fans relentless, but those National fans are just the worst combination of belligerent and ignorant. I'd cut them a break since they've only had a team for a few years, but I'm just so glad not to have to see anymore games broadcast from that stadium.

Boy, I'd watch out for the St. Louis Clutchinals again this year. Last time around they made history by being the team with the fewest regular season wins to earn a division title and win it all IIRC?); this time you may attribute their comeback to the Nats' pitchers choking late and Strasburg getting shut down early so they didn't need to face them, but the hitters still need to deliver when the chances come.

Also hopefully the Tigers can get it done against the Yanks this season, and hope they can finally pull through! (I'm getting Verlander would be matched up against CC? Those would be epic games)

If the Nats didn't put Strasburg on the self, would it have impacted the series?

It certainly wouldn't have hurt....

I agree with GM. The way the Nats handled the SS situation was uber stupid. I understand limiting the innings, but how much more sense would it have made to cut his innings down at the end of the regular season, when the playoffs were basically a foregone conclusion.

Even if you don't have Strasburg start, he could have been effective in middle/long relief, or coming in later for the hold like Lincecum did for the Giants.

That choke job was reminiscent of the the Expos, except at least Montreal died with their absolute best pitcher on the mound, not out of the lineup.

Detroit_Tigers.jpg

Yeah, I'm with you Norm. All the teams I was pulling for are gone. Now it's all about beating the Yankees.

Archived