Damn Canada, you racist

#2 CanuckGAME

CanuckGAME

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:29 AM

OTTAWA -- The Bank of Canada purged the image of an Asian-looking woman from its new $100 banknotes after focus groups raised questions about her ethnicity.

The original image intended for the reverse of the plastic polymer banknotes, which began circulating last November, showed an Asian-looking woman scientist peering into a microscope.

The image, alongside a bottle of insulin, was meant to celebrate Canada's medical innovations.

But eight focus groups consulted about the proposed images for the new $5, $10, $20, $50 and $100 banknote series were especially critical of the choice of an Asian for the largest denomination.

"Some have concerns that the researcher appears to be Asian," says a 2009 report commissioned by the bank from The Strategic Counsel, obtained by The Canadian Press under the Access to Information Act.

"Some believe that it presents a stereotype of Asians excelling in technology and/or the sciences. Others feel that an Asian should not be the only ethnicity represented on the banknotes. Other ethnicities should also be shown."

A few even said the yellow-brown colour of the $100 banknote reinforced the perception the woman was Asian, and "racialized" the note.

The bank immediately ordered the image redrawn, imposing a "neutral" ethnicity for the woman scientist who, now stripped of her "Asian" features, appears on the circulating note. Her light features appear to be Caucasian.

"The original image was not designed or intended to be a person of a particular ethnic origin," bank spokesman Jeremy Harrison said in an interview, citing policy that eschews depictions of ethnic groups on banknotes.

"But obviously when we got into focus groups, there was some thought the image appeared to represent a particular ethnic group, so modifications were made."

Harrison declined to provide a copy of the original image, produced by a design team led by Jorge Peral of the Canadian Bank Note Co.

Nor would he indicate what specific changes were made to the woman researcher's image to give her a so-called "neutral," non-ethnic look. He said the images were "composites" rather than depicting any specific individual.

The Strategic Counsel conducted the October 2009 focus groups in Calgary, Toronto, Montreal and Fredericton, at a cost of $53,000.

The Toronto groups were positive about the image of an Asian woman because "it is seen to represent diversity or multiculturalism."

In Quebec, however, "the inclusion of an Asian without representing any other ethnicities was seen to be contentious."

One person in Fredericton commented: "The person on it appears to be of Asian descent which doesn't rep(resent) Canada. It is fairly ugly."

Mu-Qing Huang, a Chinese-Canadian who has peered into microscopes for biology courses at the University of Toronto, called the bank's decision a "huge step back."

"The fact that an Asian woman's features were introduced to the bill ... I think itself is a huge step forward in achieving true multiculturalism in Canada," Huang, 24, said in an interview in Ottawa.

"But the fact that the proposal was rejected represents a huge step back."

She said the "overly sensitive" decision to remove the Asian features suggests prejudice against visible minorities persists in Canada.

"If Canada is truly multicultural and thinks that all cultural groups are equal, then any visible minority should be good enough to represent a country, including (someone with) Asian features."

Huang, now pursuing an MA at the University of Toronto, came to Canada from China with her family at age 12, living in Toronto and Ottawa.

The 2006 census found that Canada's population included more than five million people from visible minority groups, of which 1.2 million were Chinese and another 240,000 with ancestry from southeast Asia, including Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia and Laos.

The Bank of Canada introduced the new series of banknotes largely to thwart counterfeiters, though they are also expected to last much longer than the old versions. New $50 notes went into circulation in March, with $20 notes still to come in November.

The $50 and $20 banknotes feature a research icebreaker and the Canadian National Vimy Memorial respectively, with no images of ordinary Canadians. Some members of the focus groups said the Vimy memorial looked disturbingly like New York's twin towers, brought down by terrorists in 2001.

#3 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,198 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:35 AM

It's so funny watching people go back and forth all in the name of political correctness.

#4 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,050 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:35 AM

POPULAR

old design:
Posted Image
doesn't look all that asian to me, looks kinda generic.

Edited by avelanch, 17 August 2012 - 06:37 AM.

#5 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,499 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:37 AM

She looks Inuit .. oops .. never mind .. <_<

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#6 Canuckerbird

Canuckerbird

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:39 AM

So a white woman is ok, but an Asian woman is not? What kind of message is that sending?
My friend asked me if I wanted a frozen banana. I said "No. But I do want a normal banana later, so...ya."- The Late Mitch Hedberg

Go Canucks GO

#7 Kazmanian Devil

Kazmanian Devil

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,398 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:40 AM

This is incredibly stupid.

xuKmoNn.png

#8 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,198 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:43 AM

So a white woman is ok, but an Asian woman is not? What kind of message is that sending?

.. that this isn't Asia?

Truthfully, I don't see why it matters to have a person at all. Just put the bottle of insulin, and maybe a picture of the LCBO with the prices of booze in Ontario next to the price of booze in New York on the new $100. Soon that's what a beer will cost anyways.

Edited by zaibatsu, 17 August 2012 - 06:45 AM.

#9 SN -Admin

SN -Admin

The Admin

• Administrators
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:45 AM

Apparently that the government will bow down to a couple racist jackasses in a focus group.

#10 Canuckerbird

Canuckerbird

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:52 AM

POPULAR

Watch them try to "rectify" the situation by putting an image of a Chinese man working on the railroad. Or perhaps an image of Japanese internment camps or the Komagata Maru being turned away. Hey, if you're gonna be racist, might as well go for the gold.
My friend asked me if I wanted a frozen banana. I said "No. But I do want a normal banana later, so...ya."- The Late Mitch Hedberg

Go Canucks GO

#11 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:57 AM

I agree with avelanch. She doesn't look Asian to me either. Looks like a case of people looking too hard to find something to complain about.

The "focus" groups need more focus, as far as I'm concerned...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#12 canucks_dynasty

canucks_dynasty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,067 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:03 AM

Watch them try to "rectify" the situation by putting an image of a Chinese man working on the railroad. Or perhaps an image of Japanese internment camps or the Komagata Maru being turned away. Hey, if you're gonna be racist, might as well go for the gold.

I'm sure that will go over well. :lol:

#13 hockeyfan87

hockeyfan87

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:26 AM

POPULAR

Canada is a multicultural country so even if it was a depiction of a Chinese woman I don’t see how people can be justified in complaining. I think having racists (i.e. Mackenzie King) on our money is a more serious issue.

For those who are unaware he’s the former Prime Minister who is on our fifty dollar bill. He turned away the SS St. Louis which was a ship carrying Jewish refugees fleeing from Germany on the cusp of the Second World War. He also was responsible for the Japanese internment camps. It’s okay to have him on our money but not a Chinese woman looking through the microscope?

We wouldn’t have Canada if it wasn’t for immigrants from Scotland, Ireland, France, China, India, etc. Immigrants built this country. I’d say we should take Mackenzie King and have people like Tommy Douglas, Terry Fox, Romeo Dallaire on our currency instead.

#14 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,727 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:28 AM

Who gives a fark.

#15 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,811 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:07 AM

Maybe just stick with Animals on our money?
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#16 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,499 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:10 AM

A picture of Chinese immigrant workers running from an exploding railway tunnel should do the trick ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#17 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,050 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:16 AM

Canada is a multicultural country so even if it was a depiction of a Chinese woman I don’t see how people can be justified in complaining. I think having racists (i.e. Mackenzie King) on our money is a more serious issue.

For those who are unaware he’s the former Prime Minister who is on our fifty dollar bill. He turned away the SS St. Louis which was a ship carrying Jewish refugees fleeing from Germany on the cusp of the Second World War. He also was responsible for the Japanese internment camps. It’s okay to have him on our money but not a Chinese woman looking through the microscope?

We wouldn’t have Canada if it wasn’t for immigrants from Scotland, Ireland, France, China, India, etc. Immigrants built this country. I’d say we should take Mackenzie King and have people like Tommy Douglas, Terry Fox, Romeo Dallaire on our currency instead.

if anything, she looks slightly vietnamese, in actuality, she looks like a generic woman without any specific nationality.

maybe it's the yellow/brown colour of the bill that made her look "asian" to the focus group. I wonder if she would still appear that way to them if the bill's colour was changed to a full out orange, or reddish brown.
Posted Image
or maybe a teal, so it doesn't get confused with another bill:
Posted Image

Edited by avelanch, 17 August 2012 - 08:33 AM.

#18 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,640 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:30 AM

POPULAR

I know she isn't Canadian, but I wouldn't complain if we had just thrown Emma Watson on the back of the $100.

#19 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,780 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:51 AM

Who gives a frack?
Posted Image

#20 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,050 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:56 AM

I know she isn't Canadian, but I wouldn't complain if we had just thrown Emma Watson on the back of the $100.

how about we toss Cobie Smulders on the back of the 100? she's canadian, and much hotter.

Edited by avelanch, 17 August 2012 - 08:59 AM.

#21 6of1_halfdozenofother

6of1_halfdozenofother

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:58 AM

re: Post #4 of this thread

Not trying to usurp Wetcoaster :lol: but just thought I'd share this tidbit:

http://www.bankofcan...oducing-images/

Edited by 6of1_halfdozenofother, 17 August 2012 - 08:59 AM.

People who label others as bandwagoners, people who tell other people "how" to cheer for their team, "how" they should act or what they should wear to "support" their team, people who only want to hear positive thoughts and don't want to read about how the team can do better - these are people who are insecure and uncomfortable within their own skin.

I'll support my team the way I choose, thank you very much. You can choose to support your team the way you want to, and I won't judge you on it as long as you don't try to force your beliefs on me. I'll also be quick to point out where I think the team can do better, because identifying that there is a problem is the first step to fixing it; denying or ignoring a problem won't solve anything.

Go Canucks Go.

#22 StevenStamkos

StevenStamkos

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:00 AM

how about we toss Cobie Smulders on the back of the 100? she's canadian, and much hotter.

<3

Follow me on twitter! @RealStamkos91

#23 *vInTaGe*

*vInTaGe*

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,408 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:06 AM

I think the focus group should focus on something else, this is really going too far.

Posted Image

#24 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,050 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:08 AM

re: Post #4 of this thread

Not trying to usurp Wetcoaster :lol: but just thought I'd share this tidbit:

http://www.bankofcan...oducing-images/

good thing an internet forum isn't a printed image...

Edited by avelanch, 17 August 2012 - 09:08 AM.

#25 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,986 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:11 AM

Who gives a frack?

Posted Image

#26 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:12 AM

if anything, she looks slightly vietnamese, in actuality, she looks like a generic woman without any specific nationality.

maybe it's the yellow/brown colour of the bill that made her look "asian" to the focus group. I wonder if she would still appear that way to them if the bill's colour was changed to a full out orange, or reddish brown.
Posted Image
or maybe a teal, so it doesn't get confused with another bill:
Posted Image

Now she's an alien!!!

:frantic:
Posted Image

#27 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:15 AM

What a waste of time.

Where's the love for black people?
Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

#28 The Wizard of AZ

The Wizard of AZ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:43 AM

Looks like she has Downs to me.

Posted Image

#29 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,976 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:44 AM

Oh no. :frantic:

...There's bigger things to worry about.
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#30 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,685 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:01 AM

Really?

All I noticed was the big $100 in my face.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.