The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

image of asian looking woman banned from new 100$ bill

CanuckGAME

I'm asian and I'm not bothered by this (i.e. both the inclusion and subsequent removal). I will point out, however, that asians didn't discover insulin...but then the picture on the bill didn't really look that asian to me in the first place.

Lastly, it could also be argued that featuring an asian in a scientific role simply feeds into the nerdy-asian stereotype. So in the end, it's kind of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation in my eyes.

Everyone should just chill.

For goodness' sake, nobody here in North America calls other PEOPLE Oriental. That term is now considered to be pejorative here. They still use it in Europe because the word itself is Eurocentric by definition. Same with something bogus like "far easterner", since those countries are certainly not to our far east if we place Vancouver on the centre of the map. It's only far east if we're centred in Europe. (below is a Asia-centric map, where the extremes are Spain and Newfoundland)

hema_wor_lg_la_01.jpg

We can refer to things like furniture and food as Oriental (which is still a lazy term), but here in Canada people don't call people Oriental anymore.

I know you didn't mean to, but you still perpetuated Eurocentric values. My ethnic background is NOT far eastern, nor is it Oriental. It's Asian, and it's Korean, and nothing more.

The Philippines isn't in Asia?? Iraq isn't in Asia?? Iran isn't in Asia?? Afghanistan, which you failed to mention, isn't is Asia??

This Middle East ISN'T in Asia??

:picard:

So, we shouldn't use taxes imposed on society to help refine society, because that'd be a waste of social money for society.

Gotcha.

:rolleyes:

Well thanks for the update chief. I was just thinking I wonder what that Armada guy thinks about the situation today. I think the problem is you are focusing on all of the wrong aspects here. The topic at hand involves the fact that others did care and because of that the bill has been changed.

Archived