Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

image of asian looking woman banned from new 100$ bill

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
113 replies to this topic

#91 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:13 PM

how about we toss Cobie Smulders on the back of the 100? she's canadian, and much hotter.

This thread sure ate up all my pluses

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#92 Truculence

Truculence

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,311 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:52 PM

This is what passes for professional journalism in Canada these days.
I hope CTV's news director dies of cancer.

s_l_s.gif

burroes.gif

#93 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:16 PM

I assume the focus group consisted of white people. Why did they not include some non-white people in the focus group?

#94 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:07 AM

I say we scrap the whole insulin and scientist on the bill, and just replace it with a Canucks logo.

Then on the front we replace that face with the face of Trevor Linden.

That would instantly become the best $100 bill in the history of mankind.

Could someone make a photoshop of what I said earlier, I would actually like to see it now.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#95 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,540 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:41 AM

what the hell is an asian anyway? Indian, Chinese, Iraqis, Siberians are all Asian.

oriental? far easterner? that's closer

stupid thing to start, more stupid is the debate.

For goodness' sake, nobody here in North America calls other PEOPLE Oriental. That term is now considered to be pejorative here. They still use it in Europe because the word itself is Eurocentric by definition. Same with something bogus like "far easterner", since those countries are certainly not to our far east if we place Vancouver on the centre of the map. It's only far east if we're centred in Europe. (below is a Asia-centric map, where the extremes are Spain and Newfoundland)

Posted Image

We can refer to things like furniture and food as Oriental (which is still a lazy term), but here in Canada people don't call people Oriental anymore.

I know you didn't mean to, but you still perpetuated Eurocentric values. My ethnic background is NOT far eastern, nor is it Oriental. It's Asian, and it's Korean, and nothing more.
Posted Image

Hockey_Crazy is a god. But I still got dibs on Yuna.

#96 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:35 AM

LOL, she doesn't even look Asian, what the frack?

edit- OK, apparently that image seen is only the changed one.

Still, people with too much time on their hands, over-analyzing things. What a bunch of stupidity. Pretty pathetic the bank succumbed to the pressure.

Edited by Jai604, 18 August 2012 - 03:40 AM.

RIP LB RR PD

#97 Nathan MacKinnon

Nathan MacKinnon

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,242 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:08 AM

I can't believe people could be so racist :picard:

Comon man its just money

+1 this post!

Posted Image

Credit to Intoewsables :wub: :wub: :wub:

Formerly known as UMADBRO?

Luongo Supporter. Does not deserve any of this BS

#98 Canuckerbird

Canuckerbird

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:59 AM

Suicide bombing mostly happens in middle east and mainly in Iraq. Iran, Philippines and other 3rd world countries in Asia don't have suicide bombers.

What would you call those chaps who blew themselves up in Bali? Voluntary self-destruct bombers?

http://en.wikipedia....5_Bali_bombings
My friend asked me if I wanted a frozen banana. I said "No. But I do want a normal banana later, so...ya."- The Late Mitch Hedberg

Go Canucks GO

#99 JeremyW

JeremyW

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:51 AM

http://www.ctvnews.c...-bills-1.918037

Damn Canada, you racist

Hey bro, can you stop twisting incredibly twisted words, as you did in the title. It wasn't banned, it was appealed. The Bank of Canada has always banned any particular depiction of race in generic characters.

Seriously, this is a VERY small issue that was COMPLETELY overblow by the media (which you can so blatently see throws in tons of racists suggestions to get us arguing like a bunch of morons.) Further, it was even MORE overblow by a small group of up-tight and easily offended people.

Initially, they tried to make the woman look generic, this didn't pass the focus group because some thought that the picture looked to posses too many ethnic characteristics (i.e, her eyes were squinted, but this was because she was peering in to a microscope not because they meant to make her look at all asian - I still don't see how she looks at all asian.) So they decided to open her eyes a bit and now she looks white. Hence the source of this incredibly stupid and meaningless debate.

Canada's Bank did not intend for us to anaylze their work to such scrutiny and develop absolute crap debates from it. They never meant to depict an asian or a white person on the bill.

Edited by JeremyW, 18 August 2012 - 10:55 AM.

#100 Raph

Raph

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:54 AM

what's wrong with keeping Robert Borden on the $100?
Untouchables: Tanev, Jensen, Kassian
Mostly untouchable: Sedins (need someone to man the fort and no trade value)
Open to trade: Everyone else
Drive to airport: Bieksa, Edler

Bring back: Ehrhoff

#101 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,010 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:10 AM

Folks got "Bord" of him? .. it's a stretch, I know .. :picard:

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#102 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:21 PM

Because most people have no clue who he is. BTW, I sometimes ask people who is on the $5, $10, $50, etc. And they have no idea. They can't identify Laurier, Mcdonald, King. So if people don't have a clue who these white guys are, why should they care if there is an Asian woman on the bill?

What does this say about focus groups anyway? That a lot of people are racists and don't admit it?

#103 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,011 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:08 PM

She doesn't look asian to me. Even if she did, isn't Canada supposed to be a multicultural society?

CMc20QE.gif

Put Gino in the ROH

#104 Midnight Express

Midnight Express

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:59 PM

How in the hell can you tell if someone is Asian from the side and slightly behind (about the 3:30 position).?? People these days have to much time on their hands.

#105 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,117 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:36 PM

Still saying who the hell cares if she is or isn't some race.

This applies for both sides. You guys are getting too into this..

Edited by Armada, 18 August 2012 - 05:36 PM.

Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#106 JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,663 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:41 PM

Still saying who the hell cares if she is or isn't some race.

This applies for both sides. You guys are getting too into this..

Well thanks for the update chief. I was just thinking I wonder what that Armada guy thinks about the situation today. I think the problem is you are focusing on all of the wrong aspects here. The topic at hand involves the fact that others did care and because of that the bill has been changed.
Posted Image

#107 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:45 PM

She doesn't look asian to me. Even if she did, isn't Canada supposed to be a multicultural society?

Perhaps they viewed the issue from another perspective:

They did not wish to feed the stereotype that all Asian people study only excel at Math, Physics and Science. Unfortunately, in addressing this issue, they overlooked that people of any ethnic background deserve to be recognized as members of Canadian society.

I could imagine various members of the focus groups thinking, "lol, an Asian person studying Science, 'cause apparently they're all good at it. What a ridiculous generalization." Assuming somebody excels at Science because they're Asian can be equally as offensive.

Thus, I can't argue either way. Either decision would have garnered a negative reaction from some. The controversy is that the designers second-guessed themselves.

Edited by WeatherWise, 18 August 2012 - 06:56 PM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#108 sakage.shinga

sakage.shinga

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:11 PM

I'm asian and I'm not bothered by this (i.e. both the inclusion and subsequent removal). I will point out, however, that asians didn't discover insulin...but then the picture on the bill didn't really look that asian to me in the first place.

Lastly, it could also be argued that featuring an asian in a scientific role simply feeds into the nerdy-asian stereotype. So in the end, it's kind of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation in my eyes.

Everyone should just chill.
Posted Image

#109 Jaimito

Jaimito

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,913 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:11 PM

For goodness' sake, nobody here in North America calls other PEOPLE Oriental. That term is now considered to be pejorative here. They still use it in Europe because the word itself is Eurocentric by definition. Same with something bogus like "far easterner", since those countries are certainly not to our far east if we place Vancouver on the centre of the map. It's only far east if we're centred in Europe. (below is a Asia-centric map, where the extremes are Spain and Newfoundland)

Posted Image

We can refer to things like furniture and food as Oriental (which is still a lazy term), but here in Canada people don't call people Oriental anymore.

I know you didn't mean to, but you still perpetuated Eurocentric values. My ethnic background is NOT far eastern, nor is it Oriental. It's Asian, and it's Korean, and nothing more.

well, I'm Chinese ethnically, but I don't find oriental a bad term. perhaps it is because I grew up in Canada since the 80's and it was a common term back then. but I find all the PC stuff going too far.

asian sounds so stupid a label. that ignores all other asians. Apparently Indian is not Asian anymore, if you limit that term to describe people with oriental phenotypes. It's as bad as African-Americans label in the US here. Obviously Moroccans and Egyptians are not black in phenotype.

yes you are korean, korean canadian, say what ever you want. the english terms are inherently eurocentric, because the language is based from Europe. It's like any other language, it has it's terms derived through history. plenty of those in chinese, and I bet in korean language too.

In Chinese, you refer to all the Western stuff Western, so what? I don't think that is pejorative. Western people can be referred to 西方人, literally Western people. And for referring to people with oriental phenotype, we call them 東方人, literally means eastern people. Yes, that includes Korean, Japanese, Chinese, and Vietnamese. That term doesn't usually include India, Middle east etc. None of these terms are racist. There are plenty of racist terms to referring to foreigners, but these aren't it.

I'm surprised people find the term oriental offensive. the orient and far east has historical origins, but it isnt inherently racist. from wiki " Orient" derives from the Latin word oriens meaning "east" (lit. "rising" < orior "rise"). The use of the word for "rising" to refer to the east (where the sun rises)".

cathay and orient were terms used by Marco Polo, and he had plenty nice things to say about the region back then.

Japan in Chinese characters literally means "origin of sun", because sun rises in the east, where Japan is at relative to China. So is that a racist term?

back to $100 bill. I can't believe the gov wasted $50,000 for a focus group.

Edited by Jaimito, 18 August 2012 - 09:33 PM.

Posted Image

#110 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:45 AM

What would you call those chaps who blew themselves up in Bali? Voluntary self-destruct bombers?

http://en.wikipedia....5_Bali_bombings

I've been to Iran and never seen, heard or witnessed any suicide bomber. In fact Iran is much more safe than US or even Canada, because there isn't mass shootings or people killing other people. Heck, you could walk anywhere in Iran at 3:00 AM safely, without getting mugged, harassed or shot. The only thing people are scared of there is the government and their crazy rules. So stop listening to all these sensationalized news reports and stop talking out of ignorance. I've also been to Philippines and it isn't a war zone either. You guys just hear of one incident and think that there must be something wrong with the country. You have mass killings in US and people here still vacation there with no problem.

Posted Image

#111 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:53 AM

The Philippines isn't in Asia?? Iraq isn't in Asia?? Iran isn't in Asia?? Afghanistan, which you failed to mention, isn't is Asia??

This Middle East ISN'T in Asia??

:picard:

So, we shouldn't use taxes imposed on society to help refine society, because that'd be a waste of social money for society.

Gotcha.

:rolleyes:

And since when did I say those countries aren't in Asia? Poor reading comprehension I presume? Asia is such a big continent and is so much diverse that It would be wrong to talk about it as a whole. But thanks for the geography lesson. Just because there are suicide bombing in a small section of the Asian continent, it doesn't mean the whole damn continent is infested with suicide bombers.

PS. Stop BSing about the refinement of our society. If they really wanted to help refine our society, then they wouldn't purge the picture of the lady that "might" resemble an Asian girl. Pfff...yeah, really refining the society there bud. I thought we were passed the phase where people didn't care about the race of an individual but I guess I was wrong.

Edited by Pouria, 19 August 2012 - 10:58 AM.

Posted Image

#112 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,117 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:16 AM

Well thanks for the update chief. I was just thinking I wonder what that Armada guy thinks about the situation today. I think the problem is you are focusing on all of the wrong aspects here. The topic at hand involves the fact that others did care and because of that the bill has been changed.

Hmm.. Glad you care so much to what I have to say then. :rolleyes:
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#113 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,658 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:21 PM

Does it even matter? I mean its just money .

Just money? How dare you?

i'm j/king btw.

Benning will be fired next year. Hope he enjoys screwing around for a few months. I just cant believe this. Another injured BC player. We just got rid of garrison. Seems like the canucks and linden just wanted any BC born player. Doesn't matter if hes good or not. We don't need another Linden to get us to game 7 of the Stanley cup and lose. We need someone to win us a cup.

5 million a year for Vrbata? 6 million for Miller? Kesler for Bonino and 24th instead of 10th pick or one of their top prospects? Garrison for scraps?

ive already lost faith in JB. Ive never EVER had this bad of a feeling about management.

#114 soshified

soshified

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:34 PM

Canada should just put past prime ministers and landmarks on their bills.

Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.