The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CFL/BC Lions Thread

Shift-4

Was Benevides not able to challenge the incomplete pass call on the Bruce injury?? I was screaming at my TV for him to challenge because it was a catch and that first down plus could have completely changed the game. But maybe I missed something and we weren't able to challenge?? :wacko:

Another poor start and this time we couldn't recover. Good effort late, unfortunate we couldn't finish the comeback. Hope Simon and Bruce are ok.

My Dad and I said the same thing - he SHOULD/could have. It was a completion and the ground can't cause a fumble, right? He had control when he went down...was maybe the turning point and the game may have taken a different direction.

Water/bridge stuff, but I'm not so sure about MB. I loved that Wally was so focused....hunched over, hands on knees watching intently. He would've been halfway out to center field with that flag in this hand.

With that, Saskatchewan looked GREAT (so not sure if it mattered), but adrenalin/momentum likely played into their favour and got things rolling in the right direction for them. Dressler's always been a favourite, non-Lion of mine and Sheets (sp?) - wow. Hate them with a passion, but have to give credit where it's due.

Just think maybe a challenge there could have set a much different tone in that game...Riders were really fired up (didn't like some of 41's post whistle/in your face crap) and it just snowballed from there, as we didn't seem to have a response.

I completely agree, deb. Ground cannot cause a fumble and he had clear posession to the ground. And just imagine how pumped the guys would have been that Bruce was able to hold on after such a violent hit. Definitely a game changer but not much we can do now. Just hope MB realizes the mistake and makes sure he(and his staff) are paying closer attention in the future.

My Dad and I said the same thing - he SHOULD/could have. It was a completion and the ground can't cause a fumble, right? He had control when he went down...was maybe the turning point and the game may have taken a different direction.

Water/bridge stuff, but I'm not so sure about MB. I loved that Wally was so focused....hunched over, hands on knees watching intently. He would've been halfway out to center field with that flag in this hand.

With that, Saskatchewan looked GREAT (so not sure if it mattered), but adrenalin/momentum likely played into their favour and got things rolling in the right direction for them. Dressler's always been a favourite, non-Lion of mine and Sheets (sp?) - wow. Hate them with a passion, but have to give credit where it's due.

Just think maybe a challenge there could have set a much different tone in that game...Riders were really fired up (didn't like some of 41's post whistle/in your face crap) and it just snowballed from there, as we didn't seem to have a response.

Ground cannot cause a fumble, correct. However on a pass reception; the player must survive contact with the ground with possession. It was a good non call / non challenge as the Lions would have lost.

Many people struggle understanding that rule, but it was the right call. The wrong call was going for bombs on all 3 plays after the onside recovery... Horrid.

Ground cannot cause a fumble, correct. However on a pass reception; the player must survive contact with the ground with possession. It was a good non call / non challenge as the Lions would have lost.

Many people struggle understanding that rule, but it was the right call. The wrong call was going for bombs on all 3 plays after the onside recovery... Horrid.

I guess the guys calling the game don't understand that rule either.

CATCH / NO CATCH (ON BANG-BANG PLAYS)

RULE REFERENCES

Rule 1 Section 3 defines possession -

• “Possession means having the ball firmly held in hand or hands, arm or arms, leg or legs, or under the body.”

Rule 6 Section 4 Article 6 (e) states that a pass shall be incomplete, if -

• “While in midair a receiver of either team who has firm control of the ball, but loses possession of the ball when that player’s feet or other part of the body hits the ground, with or without contact by an opponent.”

On what is generally referred to as a “bang–bang” play, there are several elements involved in determining whether the pass is to be ruled complete or incomplete.

Typical “bang-bang” plays are:

(a) When a receiver is attempting to catch a pass and either gets contacted quickly by an opponent; or

(B) When a receiver is attempting to catch a pass and falls or is driven to the ground quickly;

For a forward pass to be ruled complete on a bang–bang play, the following needs to occur.

1) The player must catch the ball and have it firmly controlled. Control in the air does not equal possession.

2) Possession occurs after he survives contact with an opponent and / or the ground.

Not sure if that was a shot at me or not, I stated the correct rule. It wouldnt be the first time a play by play and color guy had the wrong call.

Was not taking a shot at you, just recalling what I can remember from the broadcast(sorry if it came off snarky). I admit that I don't know tonnes about football so if that is the correct ruling, my bad....good job mike benny lol!! But it just really seemed to me that Bruce still had posession of the football when his whole body was on the ground.....it squirted out afterwards....which should be a completed catch, dead ball....no?

Edited by pimpcurtly

As bad as the team looked, we almost came back and won the game. I'm confident that Benny and the coaching staff will make the necessary adjustments. With Bruce and Simon out, we will most likely see Jackson and Moore back in which is not a bad thing. Last time they played, Lulay played his best game and was spreading the ball around.

And now some good news to come out of Saturdays game:

Bighill sets B.C. Lions franchise record with 13 tackles

By Lowell Ullrich, The Province September 30, 2012

There was more dazzling work that stood out amid the carnage Saturday, and not surprisingly it was again provided in typically understated fashion by B.C. Lions linebacker Adam Bighill.

The 24-year-old set a franchise record in the 27-21 loss to the Saskatchewan Roughriders with 13 tackles, beating the previous standard of 12 set in 2003 by Barrin Simpson. With the Lions unable to get much pressure, plus playing in front of a secondary unit that easily had its worst outing of the year, Bighill had plenty of chances.

“He was all over the place,” coach Mike Benevides said.

Bighill is still 27 tackles behind league leading J.C. Sherritt of Edmonton, who is battling injury issues, but moved into second spot in the CFL overall with his performance.

Benevides suggested the rotation with linebacker Solomon Elimimian will remain in place. If there is a roster change involving imports, outside of ailing receivers Geroy Simon or Arland Bruce, it could be with Tim Brown. The second-year returner may return after sitting out Saturday in favour of rookie Anthony Stewart, who had two fumbles in his debut.

Edited by zero-ONE-three

So I am getting around to watching the game from Saturday. There's a few minutes left in the third quarter and every time BC has the ball you can here a real high pitched alarm. Sound to be like a fire alarm from back in school.

It stops at the end of the play and starts again when the Lions huddle. I don't here it when Sask. has the ball unless it's after the play and its a big play.

Has to be distracting to the Lions players. I know the sound is annoying the **** out of me right now watching it.

Anyone else notice this?

If you want to check it out, its on TSN2 right now.

And holy crap! What was with that brutal offensive pass interference call against Jackson?

Edited by zero-ONE-three

So I am getting around to watching the game from Saturday. There's a few minutes left in the third quarter and every time BC has the ball you can here a real high pitched alarm. Sound to be like a fire alarm from back in school.

It stops at the end of the play and starts again when the Lions huddle. I don't here it when Sask. has the ball unless it's after the play and its a big play.

Has to be distracting to the Lions players. I know the sound is annoying the **** out of me right now watching it.

Anyone else notice this?

If you want to check it out, its on TSN2 right now.

After attending last years Labour Day Classic there. Anything goes and it goes to show that you can get into their heads. Playing at Mosaic as the visitor has to be the hardest.

The 13th man is made up of 30,00 intoxicated watermelon wearing yelling fanatics.

The only advantage at this point is if BC plays SASK in the western finals it is on their turf. Which will probably be half filled with rider fans :emot-parrot: