The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CFL/BC Lions Thread

Shift-4

Good game tonight. A lot more entertaining than the last meeting. Lulay was throwing bombs all night. Was great to see the O-Line finally giving him some time to do his thing. Got a little scary near the end there, but thankfully Ricky "Butterfingers" Ray came through once again! B)

Awesome game Leos!!!! My voice is completely ravaged but it was so worth it. :)

haha mine too. I can barely talk today. It was a fun game to go too. A little disappointing that only 28k showed up, but when they needed to be loud at the end, they were. Fun game to be at and the weather was perfect

Can someone tell me why for the second week in a row all I have is a black screen on TSN? I don't have a HDTV box just channel 23 TSN and this is actually unacceptable.. CFL is garbage enough as it is they can't even broadcast a game properly?

If it's garbage, don't watch it then. You are also blaming the league for showing you a black screen...

I remember TSN use to have alternate programming when the games are blacked out. Not sure why they are just showing a black screen now.

Can someone tell me why for the second week in a row all I have is a black screen on TSN? I don't have a HDTV box just channel 23 TSN and this is actually unacceptable.. CFL is garbage enough as it is they can't even broadcast a game properly?

Well if the CFL is garbage enough, please leave and don't let the door hit you on the way out. Local blackouts are nothing new. Blame TSN for the black screen, it has nothing to do with the CFL for showing nothing but a black screen.

As for the Lions game, another slow start, but they got going in the second quarter. Brutal reffing yesterday. Ray was tossing the ball away to avoid sacks all game and was only called for it once. Brutal calls and non calls on pass interference penalty's. D got it done when they had too though. Another small crowd, but with 11,000 people at Stanley Park and the last official weekend of Summer, I guess it's to be expected.

Ernest Jackson had plenty of opportunities in the Toronto game to make plays but he didn't so Kierrie Johnson gets a chance to reclaim his starting wr spot in the lineup this week.

Hopefully he has an explosive play or two and they get him the ball early to get back into a rhythm after being out so long.

Once again I have to mention Tim Brown doing a good job in the return game. His punt return td was wiped because of a borderline call.

But I like what I'm seeing from Brown. Finally playing with urgency to make a big play each time he gets a chance. He even admitted the reason he wasn't playing well last year and the majority of this year is because he got comfortable and wasn't worrying about his job.

Constant competition is required to keep players from relaxing and thinking they can't be replaced.

Akeem Foster especially has been coasting for awhile now. Every time Iannuzzi gets a chance he makes plays. Foster should be backing up Iannuzzi rather than getting a free pass as a Canadian starter at WR.

I also think Harris is not the same from earlier in the year. He hasn't been running with the same burst and power he was showing earlier. He needs to pick it up quickly.

Need some competition for Harris to force him to step his game up or else lose playing time.

The Lions used to be good at creating competition Buono always said that you need to keep players off balance to keep them performing at a high level and that they can't get overly comfortable with their position on the team.

That has happened far too often the last two years on this team with the GM not willing to make changes to create competition and sticking with the status quo.

Ernest Jackson had plenty of opportunities in the Toronto game to make plays but he didn't so Kierrie Johnson gets a chance to reclaim his starting wr spot in the lineup this week.

Hopefully he has an explosive play or two and they get him the ball early to get back into a rhythm after being out so long.

Once again I have to mention Tim Brown doing a good job in the return game. His punt return td was wiped because of a borderline call.

But I like what I'm seeing from Brown. Finally playing with urgency to make a big play each time he gets a chance. He even admitted the reason he wasn't playing well last year and the majority of this year is because he got comfortable and wasn't worrying about his job.

Constant competition is required to keep players from relaxing and thinking they can't be replaced.

Akeem Foster especially has been coasting for awhile now. Every time Iannuzzi gets a chance he makes plays. Foster should be backing up Iannuzzi rather than getting a free pass as a Canadian starter at WR.

I also think Harris is not the same from earlier in the year. He hasn't been running with the same burst and power he was showing earlier. He needs to pick it up quickly.

Need some competition for Harris to force him to step his game up or else lose playing time.

The Lions used to be good at creating competition Buono always said that you need to keep players off balance to keep them performing at a high level and that they can't get overly comfortable with their position on the team.

That has happened far too often the last two years on this team with the GM not willing to make changes to create competition and sticking with the status quo.

Why change what isn't broken?

The Lions are 22-4 in their last 26 games. They won the Grey Cup and are heavy favorites again. Lulay has passed for a TD in 22 straight games and is having another all star season. They also won 3 out 0f 4 CFL weekly awards.

Edited by zero-ONE-three

Why change what isn't broken?

The Lions are 22-4 in their last 26 games. They won the Grey Cup and are heavy favorites again. Lulay has passed for a TD in 22 straight games and is having another all star season. They also won 3 out 0f 4 CFL weekly awards.

I was referring more to the 2010 and first part of the 2011 season where until they made changes the team didn't turn around the season.

In some cases the Lions such as last year with Tim Brown, they should have created competition for the spot earlier because his play began tailing off at the 8 week mark.

Also in 2010 instead of going out and bringing in new import backs after losing Stefan Logan and Martell Mallett to the NFL in consecutive years the Lions got spooked and signed CFL veteran Jamal Robertson who was over the hill and the running game instantly went into the gutter and it only began to recover the back half of last year when they made the switch to Harris.

Much of the Lions success has to do with little roster turnover as they have now pretty much the exact same roster as last year. if anything they have upgraded the defence.

This is why Winnipeg is struggling they have good young talent on both sides of the ball but not enough good veteran leaders to show the way which is why they are struggling so much.

Don't get me wrong I like Harris but his production has been slipping quite a bit since the bye week. It's a concerning trend if it continues. I wouldn't mind the Lions bringing in some import backs once the practice roster expands to push Harris so he isn't just resting on the fact his starting spot is secure as a Canadian.

Harris doesn't have the same burst and power breaking tackles he did earlier in the year. Maybe he got worn down being used as such a large part of the offence so early on.

The Lions RB depth is also worrisome with the injury to Stu Foord (who they couldn't count on anyways) If Harris goes down they only have one RB on the active roster to fill in and that's Tim Brown which also affects who the returner will be.

I don't want wholesale changes to the Lions I'm just pointing out a shift in Buono's philosophy in recent years to keep the status quo as much as possible and load up on veteran players while in the past he always brought in new guys constantly for competition and shied away from more expensive veteran players.

You can always keep tweaking because if don't constantly create competition players tend to relax Tim Brown admitted it and that could what has happened with Harris.

As long as the team wins everything else gets swept under the rug. But I think the team should be constantly self-critical and look at ways to further improve or else they risk getting complacent.

Edited by Terry Crews